post #181 of 1629 Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Indeed you can ! but don't for get to let your 8801 burn as well, it benefited from burn in as well as the 105. I use 12hrs on and 30min breaks of no signal or complete system shut down
I see, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1629 Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Googly Moogly,

I understand your concerns with returns. You have a interesting issue. Good news is that the odds of you not enjoying the 105 are small when compared to other Blu-Ray players. This simply based upon the excellent discussion in this thread as well as the countless number of positive professional reviews posted on the web. The following link displays a catalogue of professional reviews that you may have read or would be interesting reading to help inform your decison making.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=204634

I for one have been wanting to upgrade my not -so- highend set up (Pioneer DV-48 with EMOTIVA XDA-1 Dac) for quite some time. Try as I might, I could not tell the difference between the DV-48, or the DAC or even the Receiver for that matter. They all sounded alike - pure direct mode or not. Crazy but no aha! moment for me. So, I want to take my CD listening to the next level. I have read as much as I can on the 105 as well as CD players in and around its price and I keep coming back to the 105 as the player for me. Clearly going over the $1,000 mark is scary given I probably will not utilize all its capabilites. In any event I plan to make a purchase very soon and I will probably need advice on getting the thing setup correctly.
post #183 of 1629 Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
1200 is a lot of dollars for a single piece of equipment, but if you take into account that it can also serve as preamp, receiver, DAC and even network media server (with directly attached or SMB storage) - it becomes an incredible deal IMHO.
post #184 of 1629 Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Liked: 14
I must admit I approached tonight's listening session with a degree of buyers remorse due to networking issues etc...I put my Ayre CX-7 back in my system for a quick head to head.

My initial thoughts were mmm maybe the Oppo should go....I was frustrated with it and the Ayre sounded pretty good I was thinking the differences were marginal.

I put the Oppo back to listen again and I have to say the more I listen to it the bigger the difference in quality between it and the CX-7-I think the Oppo is clearly better. The big one for me tonight was Sea Change by Beck I have never heard this sound better...it is HDCD but the fact the Oppo can play all the formats is a big plus.

I do wonder if the Oppo output is a tad louder than the Ayre but I do find there is much better resolution and detail there possibly I might quibble on the bass front but the presentation of the Oppo is very direct in a good way and very detailed...it does on the odd disc sounded a little restrained (particularly Floyd discs I find for some reason) and perhaps on some music the differences are not as marked but it is very early days I have to say sitting listening to music took away my frustration and I had to say yip this is a very good stereo player.
post #185 of 1629 Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 AM

I wonder if some of the criticisms of the 105 sounding thin are down to a subtle mid-bass?

It's maybe the only criticism I have noted so far that on certain recordings because of the detail and a subtle mid-bass, the presentation can maybe give that illusion of being thin due to the overall effect.

I think it may not be that forgiving to certain discs, the mono version of Revolver sounded quite thin but when I tried it on the Ayre it's really just how the disc sounds, the age of that recording lacks a little warmth overall. I think the detail being extracted can show the limitations of some recordings.

There is bass there and lots of it but it is very controlled...a disc I highly recommend as Audiophile standard and a great mix of clear modern classical sounds, great piano, atmosphere but with a modern slant is The Space Between Us by Craig Armstrong (he is famous for soundtracks-lots of major movies and arrangements and is a fellow Glaswegian)-as well as instrumental tracks this features a couple of vocals from Liz Fraser and Paul Buchanan...the Liz Fraser track This Love has really really deep bass and the Oppo delivers it well.

I'm really enjoying the player musically but the interface and some gremlins for me are taking the edge off of it at the moment-I am in discussion with Oppo support so when I get time I need to try a Firmware and factory reset.
post #186 of 1629 Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 AM

It seems to me a lot of network related failures could be attributed to faulty networks (mostly WiFi). Solid metal construction and physical location of the cabinet plus other metal boxes around could increase WiFi packet loss and reduce bandwidth, potentially introduce glitches in many home networks. Is it really player's fault?
I hooked up wired Ethernet cable - no networking or streaming issues - Foobar UPnP, SMB - everything works flawlessly - just enyoing greate SQ
post #187 of 1629 Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouslanB View Post

It seems to me a lot of network related failures could be attributed to faulty networks (mostly WiFi). Solid metal construction and physical location of the cabinet plus other metal boxes around could increase WiFi packet loss and reduce bandwidth, potentially introduce glitches in many home networks. Is it really player's fault?
I hooked up wired Ethernet cable - no networking or streaming issues - Foobar UPnP, SMB - everything works flawlessly - just enyoing greate SQ

I have replied to this in the main Oppo thread...it is off topic for here and I realise that I sort of caused that.
post #188 of 1629 Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Well I have had about 4 hours just using the player to listen to music. So this will be my last post for a wee while I'd be really interested to hear other's views on the player.

I stated elsewhere I don't think for a thousand of our English pounds you can quibble this is a player that is Audiophile class-when it sings it is superb.

It's detailed and fast-it excels for me on simple music and complex stuff that is well recorded and has good space in the recording. I have heard little bits of detail and air I haven't heard before off of well loved recordings for me. When you use the other formats other than Redbook, DVDA and SACD I wouldn't say there is a drop in quality but of course we then get into the complexity of how good these formats are. On many of the hybrids I own you are really only talking different rather than better but I guess what I am saying is the so-called super formats are not beating redbook for me. Indeed I would argue the best sound I have got from the Oppo is on HDCD.

I will invest probably on some stand alone SACD's that are highly recommended.

I tried my Ayre CX-7 back in my system today and I would say the Oppo is overall better but because it is very extracting in detail there is the odd track that the CX-7 actually is preferable on but this doesn't happen that often.

If I were to criticise because of the detail sometimes where the high end is brittle on recordings this can seem more prominent and I have already stated the mid-bass is a little subtle. I have maybe heard the odd track where the Oppo seems a little muddled but again I think that is the accuracy of the player.

I have never bought the concept of burn in but the player does seem to improve when it's been running a while and changing over my power cord last night seemed to move the player up a notch but of course in all the excitement of trying out discs and messing about you can get fatigued. I think it takes time to digest a new player fully. I am getting more used to the controls but dealing with a universal player is new to me and not always as smooth an experience as I would like.

I bought the Oppo with some doubts it would be as good on audio as some have said and I doubted it would beat my CX-7 but it has, it really is a very good machine purely on audio terms.

I will post this and some other thoughts on the main thread.
post #189 of 1629 Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Liked: 10
Cheers bengodzilla, I've found your comments a great help. They reminded me of when I first got my Cyrus cd8, was almost great but not quite. A power lead, RCA cable and mains conditioner later and I was happy. But its the thought of that sound (or better) along with better bluray audio that i'm calling a dealer tomorrow to see if they'll part exchange my 6 month old sony 790 for the Oppo. It's happening!
post #190 of 1629 Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGodzilla View Post

Well I have had about 4 hours just using the player to listen to music. So this will be my last post for a wee while I'd be really interested to hear other's views on the player.

I stated elsewhere I don't think for a thousand of our English pounds you can quibble this is a player that is Audiophile class-when it sings it is superb.

It's detailed and fast-it excels for me on simple music and complex stuff that is well recorded and has good space in the recording. I have heard little bits of detail and air I haven't heard before off of well loved recordings for me. When you use the other formats other than Redbook, DVDA and SACD I wouldn't say there is a drop in quality but of course we then get into the complexity of how good these formats are. On many of the hybrids I own you are really only talking different rather than better but I guess what I am saying is the so-called super formats are not beating redbook for me. Indeed I would argue the best sound I have got from the Oppo is on HDCD.

I will invest probably on some stand alone SACD's that are highly recommended.

I tried my Ayre CX-7 back in my system today and I would say the Oppo is overall better but because it is very extracting in detail there is the odd track that the CX-7 actually is preferable on but this doesn't happen that often.

If I were to criticise because of the detail sometimes where the high end is brittle on recordings this can seem more prominent and I have already stated the mid-bass is a little subtle. I have maybe heard the odd track where the Oppo seems a little muddled but again I think that is the accuracy of the player.

I have never bought the concept of burn in but the player does seem to improve when it's been running a while and changing over my power cord last night seemed to move the player up a notch but of course in all the excitement of trying out discs and messing about you can get fatigued. I think it takes time to digest a new player fully. I am getting more used to the controls but dealing with a universal player is new to me and not always as smooth an experience as I would like.

I bought the Oppo with some doubts it would be as good on audio as some have said and I doubted it would beat my CX-7 but it has, it really is a very good machine purely on audio terms.

I will post this and some other thoughts on the main thread.

It will only get better with more listening trust me. I have the CX-7e and the major difference I heard was soundstage presentation more forward with the Ayre. The CX-7 has a warmer mid bass region to give it more "tube like bass". Keep listening to the Oppo and you'll eventually hear the same notes just not emphasized. Your soundstage imaging will open up and the detail will get smoother but still there to let you hear informaton previously not heard before. I have done the same and had to re-listen to a few of my favorite CD's! My reference disc that showed me the Oppo has plenty of low end is track 10 off of the Burmester CD-03 disc. The track is Poem of Chinese drums by Yim Hok-Man. Very dynamic track and using the right equipment the ability to hear the mallet strike the skin on the drum and the decay of the note!

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #191 of 1629 Old 02-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

It will only get better with more listening trust me. I have the CX-7e and the major difference I heard was soundstage presentation more forward with the Ayre. The CX-7 has a warmer mid bass region to give it more "tube like bass". Keep listening to the Oppo and you'll eventually hear the same notes just not emphasized. Your soundstage imaging will open up and the detail will get smoother but still there to let you hear informaton previously not heard before. I have done the same and had to re-listen to a few of my favorite CD's! My reference disc that showed me the Oppo has plenty of low end is track 10 off of the Burmester CD-03 disc. The track is Poem of Chinese drums by Yim Hok-Man. Very dynamic track and using the right equipment the ability to hear the mallet strike the skin on the drum and the decay of the note!

I can certainly relate to your description of the sound Sharp1080....especially in the mid-bass.....I might disagree about the soundstage (I would say the Oppo is ahead there most of the time and equal at worst on some recordings) however I have the plain CX-7 whereas you've had the first upgrade on your Ayre.

Do you believe this is burn in or do you think you just adjust to the sound? Not wanting a whole burn in debate just interested in how you worded that.
post #192 of 1629 Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone using the Oppo 105 with Adam active monitor speakers like the S3X-H ?

Currently I´m using the balanced stereo outputs of the Oppo with the already excellent A7x speakers from that company and the sound is breathtaking !
The system is as simple as it could be - only the active speakers and the Oppo !
In the near future I will expand this for S3X-H at front left/right and the A7x at back left/right - therefore a 4.0 system for SACD and FLAC5.1.

Any thoughts from you guys ?
post #193 of 1629 Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
BenGodzilla,
Glad to hear the 105 is pleasing you on the SQ front.
I've never been a big believer in burn-in other than I prefer to leave my amplifiers on all of the time.

I will say that the first day I got my Oppo, I was a bit disappointed in the SQ, especially the top-end.
I then put a disc in on repeat for 4 days and I swear I had no preconceived notions about what the outcome would be
but I played the same discs and they sounded much better.
When I say much better not that it was night and day but at this level small increments can and do make all the difference, imo.

I was not inserting the 105 into an existing system but an all "new" system, pre-amp, amp, speakers.

I had the Oppo-95 for 3 months prior to the 105.
I know for a fact that audio memory is very fickle even after 10 minutes but I do think that the 105 is a bit more musical than the 95.
I shouldn't even be commenting because it is pointless at this point.
The 105 is simply the best player on a SQ level I've ever owned.

On the HDCD point, I have several Neil Young HDCDs and they sound fantastic, IOW like music and they are not recent recordings.
The Egarr Brandenburg SACD is brilliant. One instrument per part and everything is well-delineated but still an ensemble.

FWIW, my 2-channel system currently is:
Oppo105
Anthem D2 pre-amp
Aksa 100 wpc amp modified
Revel Studio2 speakers
Ohno balanced interconnects and speaker cable

Hopefully, I'll be checking out the new Emotiva 30 wpc class-a monoblocks in the very near future.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #194 of 1629 Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can certainly relate to your description of the sound Sharp1080....especially in the mid-bass.....I might disagree about the soundstage (I would say the Oppo is ahead there most of the time and equal at worst on some recordings) however I have the plain CX-7 whereas you've had the first upgrade on your Ayre.

Do you believe this is burn in or do you think you just adjust to the sound? Not wanting a whole burn in debate just interested in how you worded that.

I do believe there is a little of both in effect. We do get used to the sound after awhile. The one thing I will say is that there was a significant change in the sound of my player from the first week of listening and then listening a week later using the same reference discs. In that period of time I left the player on repeat playing the Purist Audio burn in disc that I have used for years. I also do not want to start a "burn-in" thread. The only thing that I have noted is the people in the anti burn in camp never list what gear they are using from front end to amplifiers, or what media they used in listening to come to that conclusion. They do not hear it so it doesn't exist. Fair conclusion. I also need to address you cannot make a fair assesment or enjoy your listening sessions if you are not in the right frame of mind. No stress from work, no little kids running around or wife bugging you to pay attention to her.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #195 of 1629 Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Wow you just reminded me I have that disc. I need to pull that baby off the shelf and give it a listen. A lot of good tracks on that disc and I particularly like the Hugh Masekela - Stimela, track #9 and the John Lee Hooker - Early One Morning, track #3
post #196 of 1629 Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Lot's of interesting comments above, thanks.

My reference disc so far in terms of what makes the Oppo sing is Sea Change by Beck-any purchase of the normal CD would in fact be a HDCD. Not only is it a superb album, something of a homage to Nick Drake-the production values are immense. I think a SACD copy of that is quite collectable now. I will search out some of the other discs listed above.
post #197 of 1629 Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

I must admit I approached tonight's listening session with a degree of buyers remorse due to networking issues etc...I put my Ayre CX-7 back in my system for a quick head to head.

My initial thoughts were mmm maybe the Oppo should go....I was frustrated with it and the Ayre sounded pretty good I was thinking the differences were marginal.

I put the Oppo back to listen again and I have to say the more I listen to it the bigger the difference in quality between it and the CX-7-I think the Oppo is clearly better. The big one for me tonight was Sea Change by Beck I have never heard this sound better...it is HDCD but the fact the Oppo can play all the formats is a big plus.

I do wonder if the Oppo output is a tad louder than the Ayre but I do find there is much better resolution and detail there possibly I might quibble on the bass front but the presentation of the Oppo is very direct in a good way and very detailed...it does on the odd disc sounded a little restrained (particularly Floyd discs I find for some reason) and perhaps on some music the differences are not as marked but it is very early days I have to say sitting listening to music took away my frustration and I had to say yip this is a very good stereo player.

Beck's Sea Change (I have the DVD-Audio) is one of the albums I use to test the fidelity of a system (it's also an awesome album music-wise, which is the reason I bought it). Other albums that help me discern fidelity variances are the Dead Can Dance SACDs and of course the Kind of Blue SACD. The early Janos Starker Cello Suites (SACD) is also an incredible performance (my favorite rendition of this classic Bach masterpiece) and a VERY lucid listening experience. I am just enjoying this new source and the flexibility it provides. I am even thinking of upgrading my cans to the HD800 or Audeze LCD series (currently own Denon D7000 and AKG K1000). biggrin.gif This hobby always results in the "sorry about your wallet" lament from Head-Fi...

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #198 of 1629 Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Certainly Sea Change is stunning but I've never listened to it in 2-channel.
It was specifically mixed for multi-channel and it is awesome.
I may have to give the 2-channel layer spin.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #199 of 1629 Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Wow you just reminded me I have that disc. I need to pull that baby off the shelf and give it a listen. A lot of good tracks on that disc and I particularly like the Hugh Masekela - Stimela, track #9 and the John Lee Hooker - Early One Morning, track #3

The whole disc is pretty good. I always listen to those tracks you listed. The first time I heard Stimela was years ago when John Badoff was still at GNP Audio. He played it for me thru an Audio Research Ref 2 into Nagra tube amps into Martin Logan Prodigy electrostats! Of course the song and disc and the equipment made an impression.biggrin.gif

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #200 of 1629 Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The whole disc is pretty good. I always listen to those tracks you listed. The first time I heard Stimela was years ago when John Badoff was still at GNP Audio. He played it for me thru an Audio Research Ref 2 into Nagra tube amps into Martin Logan Prodigy electrostats! Of course the song and disc and the equipment made an impression.biggrin.gif

I can only imagine what that sounded like. I find that a number of my cd's sound as good or sometimes better than some of my 2-channel sacd's.
post #201 of 1629 Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:

I can only imagine what that sounded like. I find that a number of my cd's sound as good or sometimes better than some of my 2-channel sacd's.

this to me is the essence of what the sound quality of the 105 is - to me one of the best reviews and really tells it like it is

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/oppo/1.html
post #202 of 1629 Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smargo77 View Post

this to me is the essence of what the sound quality of the 105 is - to me one of the best reviews and really tells it like it is

Great read thanks! After reading that article it reminded me that I have the Alan Parsons I Robot disc from the Classic label which is 24/96. I listened to it recently and have never heard as much detail out of that disc and also how "analog" the recording sounded. If I closed my eyes I was transported back to my turntable days with that recording. Way to go Oppo BDP-105.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #203 of 1629 Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

Beck's Sea Change (I have the DVD-Audio) is one of the albums I use to test the fidelity of a system (it's also an awesome album music-wise, which is the reason I bought it)....
yes, very nice test source. I love the music as well.
post #204 of 1629 Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smargo77 View Post

Thanks for that. Quite a lot of information and great pictures of the inside workings. I was able to sell my Parasound Halo P7 this week which I had retired from my setup when I got the Classe SSP800 prepro, so I am that much closer to getting the 105.
post #205 of 1629 Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 AM

I've been reading reviews on this forum and listening to my newly arrived 105 and just wanted to chime in regarding a few grumbles about the unit sounding too thin. After some listening and comparing to my older BDP-93, yes (with the 105) the bass is tighter and less commandeering than in the 93 but overall, the 105 is so much easier to listen to. Though I do like that bass heavy sound just for sheer slam effect it's a bit unrealistic. Most real instruments, like upright bass and kick drums don't rumble the house when played, with the exception of say, heavily amplified bass instruments. .......still, it's fun to listen to. I think that the 105 is more realistic in this respect.....

Be that as it may with regards to the 93, I seem to have to strain or really concentrate more to separate instruments out of the mix. Fine detail sounds a bit smeared with the 93. With the 105, I feel me ears relax, everything is well defined, no fatigue. So I'll take the 105 over this any day.

I had a revelation the other day.....I own a pair of Von Schweikert VR-33's. An interesting thing about these speakers is that they have a rear firing 10" woofer. Distance from the wall to the back of the speaker determines bass amplitude. BTW, these speakers are designed to sit close to the wall. One can move them in and out from the wall to suit their bass needs. I went from a 10" placement down to about 5" and things are sounding better. I think I might continue to fine tune this as the difference of an inch or two placement makes significant difference in bass response. There is a lot of discussion on placement of these speakers on the Von Schweikert forum

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=139.0

Not trying to get off topic but I thought that perhaps others unhappy with the bass response might benefit by speaker placement experimentation.

adios,
kp
post #206 of 1629 Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that. Quite a lot of information and great pictures of the inside workings. I was able to sell my Parasound Halo P7 this week which I had retired from my setup when I got the Classe SSP800 prepro, so I am that much closer to getting the 105.

I await your feedback of the BDP-105,SSP-800 combo. I am loving mine. The video and audio playback are very good.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #207 of 1629 Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post Thanks for that. Quite a lot of information and great pictures of the inside workings. I was able to sell my Parasound Halo P7 this week which I had retired from my setup when I got the Classe SSP800 prepro, so I am that much closer to getting the 105.

I am looking forward as to what you think I have been on the fence to buy the Oppo BDP-105 as I have the BDP-95 and the SSP-800!

post #208 of 1629 Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I await your feedback of the BDP-105,SSP-800 combo. I am loving mine. The video and audio playback are very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I am looking forward as to what you think I have been on the fence to buy the Oppo BDP-105 as I have the BDP-95 and the SSP-800!

I am waiting for some of the bugs to be worked out before jumping in. It would be interesting to see how the Sabre dacs compare with the dacs in the Denon. According to what I read they are using the same dacs that are used in the Esoteric universal players. The biggest reason I would get the 105 is for the smart apps, headphone amp and the many other benefits to numerous to mention that the A1 doesn't do. It's hard to imagine the 105 would sound better but I won't know until I actually have one.
post #209 of 1629 Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The Oppo BDP-105 arrived today. I installed it in place of a 95. I recall thinking the 95 sounded a bit brittle out of the box, but that lasted only a day or two. I had no such impression regarding the 105. It sounded superb with the first disc, the SACD of Jazz at the Pawnshop, played both as analog unbalanced 5.1 and balanced stereo. The processor is a Cary Cinema 11a, the inputs of which are set to bypass. I'm listening to Corelli now, and my impression of superb sound remains unchanged.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge
Parasound JC-3 phono stage & JC-2 analog preamp
Oppo 105 & Sony 5400ES disc players
Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds (with matching KUBEs)
Velodyne SMS-1 ARC & 2 HGS-15 subs
Sony VPL VW50 projector
post #210 of 1629 Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 PM

Was just listening to some Van Halen ripped in FLAC from the remastered HDCD's, Eric Johnson Ah Via Musicom in 24/192 and Thomas Dolby Astronauts & Heretics in FLAC ripped from the CD. Everything is being played from my MacBook Pro, through Audirvana to the USB DAC on the Oppo.

The width and depth of the soundstage is unreal. It may be the quality of these recordings, but I feel like everything is opening up, with more "air" in the top end, and smoothing out in the critical 8-12khz range. It also feels like the bass is becoming a little tighter with better pitch definition. It's subtle, but noticeable. I'm very familiar with the Thomas Dolby disc, but this is the first time I've really listened critically to Eric Johnson in 24/192 (I'm very familiar with the CD). The Eric Johnson 24/192 file sounds incredible. The snap of the snare drum and the decay in the cymbals sounded like I was in the small venue where it was recorded, except they sounded UN-mic'd.

The Van Halen remasters in HDCD sound really good... better than I remembered. Eddie's guitar is a meaty, blistering, crunchy beast, while brother Alex's drum kit is punchy and clean with a ton of high frequency detail.

Astronauts & Heretics is very well mastered, as most of Dolby's works are. My two favorite tracks are "I love you, goodbye" and "Cruel". The soundstage on "I love you, goodbye" is enormous. The sound of the bullfrog (I love that he uses interesting sonic accents in his music) seems to come from the far right and behind the listening position. Eddi Reader's vocals on "Cruel" are sublime... reminiscent of a breathy Kate Bush, with perfect pitch. Silky smooooooth.

The 105 continues to impress. WAY TO GO OPPO!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page