Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #2071 of 2093 Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bdp-105d

My first post here ( BDP-105D ).
Does anybody know how long the break in time is? Could it be up to 200 hours?
I'm not very happy with the high frequencies. Sounds sort of "edgy" / "harsh".
Electric guitars ( esp. rock ) don't sound right. Running the unit for 70 hours now but
not much of a change. Using the unit as a usb dac with a Meier Corda Classic headphone
amp and a Beyer T1. Compared it to my Burson Virtuoso , also Sabre based dac. With the
Burson used as dac I can listen for hours without fatigue but the Oppo is a bit stress to my
ears .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2093 Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfz View Post

Yes. Some have said up to 400 hours (or more). You can accelerate the 'break in' time by running the unit for a few hours, then power it down for an hour, then run it again for a few hours, and repeat, etc. This charges and discharges the capacitors in the internal analog output chain. If there is anything that is 'breaking in' so to speak, it's the internal capacitors (which take several sustained charges and discharges to 'settle'), but I'm not of the belief that the fundamental signature of the sound is going to change all that much. The highs can smooth out a little, but it's unlikely to be any dramatic change. The player's output just might be a little too bright for your ears and/or for your particular set up (amp, speakers, etc.).

Others here might have a different opinion on this, and I'm sure they'll weigh in.
post #2073 of 2093 Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 550
There is no need to "power down" and power up again. Just play music thru it as much as possible. The edge will eventually go away. Leave the unit on 24/7.

post #2074 of 2093 Old 03-03-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Well, I hope it's worth $600-700, which for me is a lot to spend given I already have the 103. I don't expect a night and day difference, but just one of a little more refinement and a little better/richer tone quality. We will see.
Well, flip the 103 and just keep the 105 - I thought it was worth is at the time, but it's been a few years since it came out - there are some decent Chinese DACs under $1000 that I think would give the 105 a good run, especially with DSD128.

Quote:
I'm not very happy with the high frequencies. Sounds sort of "edgy" / "harsh".
Electric guitars ( esp. rock ) don't sound right. Running the unit for 70 hours now but
not much of a change. Using the unit as a usb dac with a Meier Corda Classic headphone
amp and a Beyer T1. Compared it to my Burson Virtuoso , also Sabre based dac. With the
Burson used as dac I can listen for hours without fatigue but the Oppo is a bit stress to my
ears .
I've thousands of hours on mine, both analog and HDMI output. It doesn't settle down a lot, which IMHO is a good thing because it usually means higher end parts that won't drift with age or sound bad after extended periods without use. Again, in my opinion, the treble is a bit etched, especially with edgy speakers (my "reference" speakers are edgy with a ribbon tweeter). I do feel the BDP-105 leans more towards a neutral, honest presentation where I find many DACs tend to smooth things off a little bit to make poorer recordings or lower resolutions easier on the ears. I've had friends simply change to "warmer" sounding speaker or interconnect cables to compensate for a neutral/honest/slightly-edgy. If you really like the 105 you might consider small changes like that.
Sharp1080 likes this.
post #2075 of 2093 Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Well, flip the 103 and just keep the 105 - I thought it was worth is at the time, but it's been a few years since it came out - there are some decent Chinese DACs under $1000 that I think would give the 105 a good run, especially with DSD128.

I've thousands of hours on mine, both analog and HDMI output. It doesn't settle down a lot, which IMHO is a good thing because it usually means higher end parts that won't drift with age or sound bad after extended periods without use. Again, in my opinion, the treble is a bit etched, especially with edgy speakers (my "reference" speakers are edgy with a ribbon tweeter). I do feel the BDP-105 leans more towards a neutral, honest presentation where I find many DACs tend to smooth things off a little bit to make poorer recordings or lower resolutions easier on the ears. I've had friends simply change to "warmer" sounding speaker or interconnect cables to compensate for a neutral/honest/slightly-edgy. If you really like the 105 you might consider small changes like that.
I was going to suggest a cable change or two. I didn't want to sidetrack the thread with debates. I changed both my PC and XLR interconnect cables. Not necessarily "warmer" but more neutral from top to bottom.
post #2076 of 2093 Old 03-05-2017, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks a lot for the response!
I give it another few hundred hours.
If that does not help I get different interconnects.
post #2077 of 2093 Old 03-05-2017, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the response!
I give it another few hundred hours.
If that does not help I get different interconnects.

What interconnects are you using?

I've found that Blue Jeans Cable Belden 1694A is a great bargain for stereo audio cables. I've used them for years on many setups and they always seem to satisfy, i.e. provide a smooth, evenly balanced sound, and in particular they're not bright on the top end as many cable are. I also have their most recommended LC-1 cables, but found them too bright and strident on the high end.

I'm not a big believer in interconnects making a huge difference, but I do think they can make some difference.
post #2078 of 2093 Old 03-05-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Well, I just spent the better part of the day yesterday listening to the Marantz SA8003 again, and I have to say that overall (especially in long term listening) it provides much more refined sound than the BDP-103; and is more satisfying to listen to. The highs in particular are smoother, richer and cleaner. The bass is fuller (though not as tight), and the sound stage is little bigger. On the whole, it's definitely a league above the 103, but then again it cost twice as much and is a stereo audio player only.

I can only hope and presume the 105 has a similar signature as the 103, especially the tight bass which I like, but is more refined in tone quality and overall 'cleanness' of its sound. We'll see if I ever can find one for a reasonable price. I'm shocked at how high these go for used on ebay, sometimes without even the original box, with missing components or even cosmetic damage. There also seem to be few 105s for sale, and almost all are the 105B model, which generally goes for at least $100 more.
post #2079 of 2093 Old 03-12-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did some more long term listening on the BDP-103 yesterday and today to compare once again (I prefer long term listening sessions for comparison rather than quick A/B testing). I really like and prefer the taught and crisp sound signature of the 103 (it provides great clarity, especially in the bass). The Marantz is 'thicker' sounding with not as much overall clarity. But again, the tone quality of the Oppo is thin and clinical and leaves something to be desired, where as the Marantz's is smoother and richer. If I could only get the Marantz tone quality and the Oppo clarity, I'd have just the sound I prefer.

I have an old Marantz DV7001 DVD/SACD player (purchased new and barely used) that I remember preferring (surprisingly) over the Marantz SA8003 (at least on one setup), but unfortunately when I brought it out and hooked it up recently, the unit powered up but the disc drawer wouldn't open. Maybe the motor seized up from being in storage for a few years. However, I took it in for repair and I'm going to see how it does relative to the others when I get it back. Depending on how I like or don't like it, I'm then going to decide if I want to spend the money on the BDP-105.
post #2080 of 2093 Old 03-12-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Marantz units have always been known for their smooth midrange and bass. I discovered that many years ago listening to their top of the line receiver. Yes the Oppo units lack that midrange "warmth" that is in the primary region where we hear most of the notes produced.
post #2081 of 2093 Old 03-14-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
I did some more long term listening on the BDP-103 yesterday and today to compare once again (I prefer long term listening sessions for comparison rather than quick A/B testing). I really like and prefer the taught and crisp sound signature of the 103 (it provides great clarity, especially in the bass). The Marantz is 'thicker' sounding with not as much overall clarity. But again, the tone quality of the Oppo is thin and clinical and leaves something to be desired, where as the Marantz's is smoother and richer. If I could only get the Marantz tone quality and the Oppo clarity, I'd have just the sound I prefer.
If you want to use analog output from an Oppo, get a model that ends with a 5 rather than 3, e.g., 105 rather than 103. If you use digital, the 103 is fine, but the Marantz is more likely to be determining the sonics you report.

db
post #2082 of 2093 Old 04-09-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got my Marantz DV7001 back from being repaired, and OMG does it sound fantastic (with CD and SACD). Far better than the BDP-103 and even better than the SA8003. Silky smooth and rich highs with taught bass that isn't overemphasized -- it's balanced perfectly with the highs (I thought the bass was a little overemphasized with the SA8003 and somewhat out of balance with the highs). I forgot how serious of a piece of gear this thing is, as it weighs 17 lbs (the same as the BDP-105 and SA8003) and feels really solid. Unfortunately, the drive which was always a little buggy has quickly become defective as most of the time it cannot load discs now. Darn it! I'm going to have to try to get it fixed though, as it just sounds so heavenly. If I can get it fixed, there will be no BDP-105 in my future.
post #2083 of 2093 Old 04-09-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Finally got my Marantz DV7001 back from being repaired . . . the drive which was always a little buggy has quickly become defective as most of the time it cannot load discs now. . . . If I can get it fixed, there will be no BDP-105 in my future.
Until the next time the DV7001 breaks?

db
post #2084 of 2093 Old 04-10-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Until the next time the DV7001 breaks?

Yes, the sound is that good. To my luck my repair shop was able to locate a new laser assembly for the unit, which will cost about another $100 to install. I'm going to take my chances and have it done.
post #2085 of 2093 Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello,

This is my first post.

I plan to calibrate my OPPO 105D to get the best analog sound possible when playing a CD, Blu -ray or Hi-Res music files from my PC or a USB. My OPPO is connected to a Marantz SR7010 AVR. Blu-rays and cable TV already sound outstanding through HDMI, optical and coaxial connections with the help of Audyssey processing.
However, I’m really curious to find out how Blu-rays, CDs and Hi-Res music files from my PC or a USB would sound using the multi-channel analog ins/outs and stereo RCA between the OPPO and AVR. I plan to do the calibration using the Blu-ray disc from AIX records.

So, the questions for my fellow OPPO 105 users or anyone who can help are:
1. What are the preferred analog configurations for 2.1 stereo music and playing movies in a 7.1 set up in the OPPO 105D?

2. What base volume level should be set in the AVR to perform the calibration? Should it be at 0 db, or in the case of the Marantz at 80? Somewhere in this forum, I read that I should adjust the main volume in the OPPO to the point where my speakers are level matched at 75db, but there was no mention (or none that I could find) of what offsetting volume level should be set in the AVR to begin the calibration.

3. My subs (I have 2) are already level matched for audyssey processing. How do I handle adjusting the gain on the subs without upsetting the audyssey levels should the OPPO calibration call for it? Do I only adjust the sub trim level in the OPPO in that case?

Thanks so much!
Stan
post #2086 of 2093 Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprize View Post
Hello,

This is my first post.

I plan to calibrate my OPPO 105D to get the best analog sound possible when playing a CD, Blu -ray or Hi-Res music files from my PC or a USB. My OPPO is connected to a Marantz SR7010 AVR. Blu-rays and cable TV already sound outstanding through HDMI, optical and coaxial connections with the help of Audyssey processing.
However, I’m really curious to find out how Blu-rays, CDs and Hi-Res music files from my PC or a USB would sound using the multi-channel analog ins/outs and stereo RCA between the OPPO and AVR. I plan to do the calibration using the Blu-ray disc from AIX records.

So, the questions for my fellow OPPO 105 users or anyone who can help are:
1. What are the preferred analog configurations for 2.1 stereo music and playing movies in a 7.1 set up in the OPPO 105D?

2. What base volume level should be set in the AVR to perform the calibration? Should it be at 0 db, or in the case of the Marantz at 80? Somewhere in this forum, I read that I should adjust the main volume in the OPPO to the point where my speakers are level matched at 75db, but there was no mention (or none that I could find) of what offsetting volume level should be set in the AVR to begin the calibration.

3. My subs (I have 2) are already level matched for audyssey processing. How do I handle adjusting the gain on the subs without upsetting the audyssey levels should the OPPO calibration call for it? Do I only adjust the sub trim level in the OPPO in that case?

Thanks so much!
Stan
I am no expert so I can only speak from personal experience and how I have had my 105 setup since I got it a few years ago.

Your first question: I am using the 7.1 analog outs of the 105 for music such as sacd/dvd audio except that I do not use the front left and right of the 7.1 outputs. Instead I use the dedicated stereo analog outs of the 105 for my fronts and it works and sounds great. If you set it up like this you will need to go into the settings of the 105 and go to audio processing and then under stereo signal choose Front left/right. You will get bass from your subs my doing this. For movies I use the hdmi out of the 105.

Second question: I have the Marantz SR5010 and I just had to go in and set the sub volume level using the manual setting instead of what Audussey set it at. You will not adjust the volume setting in the 105 if you have it set to fixed volume in the Oppo. I just went into the Oppo speaker config settings and set everything to zero and then used a sound level meter to set levels using the 75db reference.

Third question: I just had to adjust the physical gain level of my sub until I had a level that I was satisfied with or comfortable with.

Paradigm Studio 20v5-fronts
Paradigm Studio CC-490v5-center
Paradigm Studio 10v5- side surrounds,Monitor surround 3v7-bck surr
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6 OLED
Marantz SR-5010(as preamp) Emotiva BasX A-700amp
PSA 15S sub
post #2087 of 2093 Old 04-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi mdanderson,

Thanks for answering my questions and sharing your set up. I discovered just yesterday that the tweeter in my Front Left speaker is out. Once I get it repaired/replaced, I’ll definitely be looking at your set up, along with some other options Bob Pariseau gave me to consider.

Thanks again,

Stan
post #2088 of 2093 Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi. Can somebody please explain this...it's confusing:

I am using the BDP-105 in a 5.0 configuration. I am not using a preamp, and have the RCA cables from the Oppo directly into my amplifiers.

I am using the "stereo audio out" left/right outputs, and the separate center and 2 surround outputs

When listening to 2-channel music, regarding the setup menu:

Audiio processing/stereo signal/set to front left/right, the signal is muddy with a high amount of audible distortion, especially in the high midrange.

Audiio processing/stereo signal/set to down-mixed stereo, the signal is clean.

I don't understand why this is - it seems wrong. And how does this setting interact with surround sound?

Thanks!

Last edited by seditious3; 04-24-2017 at 08:12 PM.
post #2089 of 2093 Old 04-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 4927
^ Confirm that you have DTS Neo:6 Mode set to OFF. If that's not it give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can help you diagnose this. Your player may need service.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2090 of 2093 Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Confirm that you have DTS Neo:6 Mode set to OFF. If that's not it give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can help you diagnose this. Your player may need service.
--Bob
Yes, it is set to off. I did drop OPPO an email this evening, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for your input!

Scott
post #2091 of 2093 Old 04-30-2017, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy, I've posted this in another related forum but got little to no response, so I thought I'd try here.

Please don't take this in any negative way - only someone trying to figure out and understand DAC's better. I have replaced my 105D with the 203, and recently update my pre/pro to the Marantz 8802A. The AKM 4490's DAC's in the 8802A are nice - in fact I've been very pleasantly surprised with them; nor are the AKM "Velvet Sound" DAC's in the 203 too shabby. I had been using the 105D's USB Asynchronous DAC to play flac files but I actually missed the multi-channel - so I guess I've figured out I'm not a purist. I was getting ready to sell my 105D. My question: are the multi-channel outputs with its ESS Sabre32 DACs that dynamically different or superior?

Thanx.

JD

At least all the voices in my head are singing...
...unfortunately just not in tune...
Sony 65A1E | Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro (7.2.4) [Getting DV update- YEA!] | (3) Beloved Adcom Amps | OPPO 203 | ROKU Ultra | D*TV HR-54 w/c61k | X-Box One S | Steiger-Dynamics LEET HTPC | Metra DPL certified passive cable; Metra 18 Gbps TARGA 1 Module Ultra HD active Cable | Epson UB5040 | Artcoustic Speakers] | (2) Pio Kuro |
post #2092 of 2093 Old 06-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD57 View Post
Howdy, I've posted this in another related forum but got little to no response, so I thought I'd try here.

Please don't take this in any negative way - only someone trying to figure out and understand DAC's better. I have replaced my 105D with the 203, and recently update my pre/pro to the Marantz 8802A. The AKM 4490's DAC's in the 8802A are nice - in fact I've been very pleasantly surprised with them; nor are the AKM "Velvet Sound" DAC's in the 203 too shabby. I had been using the 105D's USB Asynchronous DAC to play flac files but I actually missed the multi-channel - so I guess I've figured out I'm not a purist. I was getting ready to sell my 105D. My question: are the multi-channel outputs with its ESS Sabre32 DACs that dynamically different or superior?

Thanx.

JD
Having heard the Marantz 8802, not long ago, I would not say it's better than the Oppo 105D, being used as a pro.
I do not use the 105 as a preamp. That is taken care of with a Parasound P7. I've also had a Bel Canto DAC connected to my system.
I would not want to live off the difference between the Bel Canto and the ESS Sabre in the Oppo.
My combo of Mac mini > Oppo 105d > P7 > Parasound A21 > Custom L/R & 2205A(center/surround, when needed), I can say I've heard very few systems that I would call better. That combo gives me 3D stereo sound stage. Huge width, depth, height, layered complexity.
post #2093 of 2093 Old 09-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Preemphasis

Using the 105 to stream Flacs from my NAS. Is the Oppo able to deal with preemphasis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page