Can you recommend a blu-ray player that has the following: - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to replace my Panasonic DMP-BD35 strictly to get the ability to stream to my TV. I have an XBOX 360 that gives me DLNA access to my media on my PC, but I'd also like to try out Netflix, Amazon Instant, etc (and on principle I'm not paying Microsoft for a Live Gold account just so I can pay one of the media services for their subscription). But I have some limitations with connectivity in my existing setup.

Does there exist a blu-ray player, new or used, that you can recommend that has the following:
  • Built-in wireless (not just "wi-fi ready").
  • Component video outputs.
  • The ability to stream all the major services, with Netflix and Amazon Instant being a priority.
  • Highest possible audio and video quality available when streaming the major services.
  • Cost less than $100.

If it had DLNA, that would be a plus, but not critical.

I don't think I'm going to find a new unit with these features. It seems the biggest gap right now is that the lower priced models have only HDMI output.

I've been losing my mind trying to search craigslist for used units with these features.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Unfortunately you'll have to give up one of your requirements because a player with all of them does not exist. The problem is that only obsolete models still have component outputs, and those only stream Netflix at 720p. What model TV do you have? Perhaps 720 is all you need.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Unfortunately you'll have to give up one of your requirements because a player with all of them does not exist. The problem is that only obsolete models still have component outputs, and those only stream Netflix at 720p. What model TV do you have? Perhaps 720 is all you need.

Thanks. The TV is a Toshiba 50H82 RP and it does 1080i, but I would probably be satisfied with 720p for streaming. As long as I can still get the 1080i for BD playback, that is.

Seems there's a short list of older models that might do what I'm looking for: Sony BDP-S570, Samsung BD-C6500, and Panasonic DMP-BD85 all appear to have most of what I've listed above.

Now to find one close by and at reasonable price...
post #4 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
It looks like your TV's native resolution is 720p. Although it will accept a 1080i signal, the max it can actually display is 720p, so there is really no benefit to getting a higher resolution player since the content will get downconverted anyway. Plus being a rear projection, the image is going to be softer than a current LCD or plasma.

I've owned all of those players. I preferred the sony overall because it had many more streaming apps. I sold mine on ebay quite a while back for under $100, so I would expect them both to be pretty cheap by now. As I recall the amazon app on the panasonic would never stream HD for me, and it didn't have a Hulu app. It's Netflix app wasn't bad, and it's DVD upconversion was better than Sony (but you won't benefit from that at 720p). Sony's Netflix app was terrible in my opinion, but the picture quality was good. I didn't keep the samsung very long, so I can't really comment on that one.

All that being said, I would stick with the 35 for now and just get an old Roku XD. Then when you eventually have to replace your TV, get a better blu-ray player at that time. That way you haven't wasted money on an inferior obsolete player.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 124
There is a dedicated thread for players that have component output:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316836/list-of-blu-ray-players-with-component-output-and-discussion

There is also an analog sunset thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1305969/analog-sunset-begins

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
So your responses don't get lost in the "help me chose" thread...I won't merge your thread in sticky...I'll leave it stand. I'll ask that if you want more responses, please repost your needs in the "help me chose a BR player: sticky thread.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page