DVD /Blue ray 5.1 / 7.1 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for answers. I have a Pioneer DV-46av which needs repair. Is it worth it to have the unit looked at or buy new ? Furthermore my receiver is an older Yamaha Rx-v757 which is 7.1 . Should I be looking for a DVD upconverter /Blue Ray player with 7.1 or does the receiver handle that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Your receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, so forget about ever getting 7.1 from new player. All new BD players now no longer carry 7.1 analog audio output.

On the other hand, you can find a mid to upper range 3D BD player for $70+ which is probably a lot cheaper than your DV-46av.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Your receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, so forget about ever getting 7.1 from new player. All new BD players now no longer carry 7.1 analog audio output.

On the other hand, you can find a mid to upper range 3D BD player for $70+ which is probably a lot cheaper than your DV-46av.

Not true about 7.1 analog out. The Oppo players still offer it.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

The receiver doesn't have a 7.1 analog in just an optical in. The 7.1 transfers thru the optical sig in ?

I'll start putting side cash away in my "toy money" for a new 7.1 receiver then. I will however need a analog to digital converter for my turn table.I'n not seeing many new 7.1 receivers with the phono input.

I'm allowed to buy new front and center speakers.After the new tv. A new receiver could be pushing the envelope.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Not true about 7.1 analog out. The Oppo players still offer it.

It only takes studio one single flag to revoke that capability. I won't waste couple hundred dollars on that. That money could be saved towards a updated AVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulshine View Post

The receiver doesn't have a 7.1 analog in just an optical in. The 7.1 transfers thru the optical sig in ?

No way to get 7.1 via optical. 5.1 lossy (basically the same thing you got from your DVD player) is all you can get.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked at the receiver does accept 7.1 analog in !
post #7 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It only takes studio one single flag to revoke that capability.

It is only the analog video that the studios want to turn off. Unless and until audio is 100% digital into true digital loudspeakers, audio must be converted to analog to play. Blu-Ray players that can decode the audio from discs will continue to be able to output analog audio through analog outputs. Video is different because modern televisions can keep the signal in the digital domain all the way to the displaying of the picture on the screen.

post #8 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulshine View Post

I just looked at the receiver does accept 7.1 analog in !

I knew that but players with 7.1 analog output have been slowly dropping off the market since two years ago. Unless you want to spend $$ on a OPPO mentioned above (only certain OPPO models have this).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

It is only the analog video that the studios want to turn off. Unless and until audio is 100% digital into true digital loudspeakers, audio must be converted to analog to play. Blu-Ray players that can decode the audio from discs will continue to be able to output analog audio through analog outputs. Video is different because modern televisions can keep the signal in the digital domain all the way to the displaying of the picture on the screen.

Not sure where I read this but studios are seeking to block all analog outputs from BD player, including the low res video output and stereo audio,
post #9 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as the players have the analog output jacks, they will output analog audio. The studios want the jacks removed. Oppo has not done this and all Oppo Blu-Ray players have 7.1 analog audio out, not just some models.

post #10 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
For the price of a player with 7.1 analogue out such as Oppo at $499 you can get a BDP under $100 and a HDMI AVR. You can look for an older BDP with 7.1 out for less but there are distinct advantages sending digital to the AVR, the old analogue route is outdated. Take the opportunity when an old player breaks down to move forward.

Or just buy a BDP and use optical/coaxial to the old AVR for now until you are 'allowed' to buy a new AVR. There's not much to lose not having lossless or 7.1.

You don't need an AD converter for your TT, but a phono pre-amp. If a new AVR at your budget doesn't have it, your old AVR has one then you can still use it and it should be possible to hook it to the new AVR via a pair of RCA cables into a CD input. It stays in analogue.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #11 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought there was a cheaper version of OPPO that lacks 7.1 but I guess I was wrong. Nevertheless, it is hard to swallow that extra $400+ to just have the 7.1 analog out. Not to mention you then need quality 7.1 audio cable to connect them. Then, you find out all the fansy digital processing your old AVR has no longer functions once you switched over to 7.1 analog in. Your entire sound processing is now totally dependent on OPPO player.

For $400, you can buy a mid range HDMI AVR with room corrections and HD audio decoding. It may not be as powerful as OP's original AVR (can't trust Yamaha' s spec anyway) but it modernizes the entire HT system. Benefiting not only disc playing but other entertainment like Cable/satellite TV watching. You also getting DPL II processing to expand 5.1 audio into 7.1. Something you can't do with OPPO player and your old AVR.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well you managed to help me to come to a decision. I will be in the market for a new AVR ! There are some sweet units out there. The plug and play of the hdmi units takes the F/M out of the equation and opens things up for the future.

Thank You all for your thoughts and input . Now on to L R C speaker selection.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

People buy Oppos for a lot more reasons than just the presence of 7.1 analog outs. In fact, many Oppo purchasers never use them. Oppo buyers also generally aren't using $400 receivers. There are good reasons why the Oppo players cost what they do but they are not mainstream players. If all you need is a mainstream player, buy one. If you need something more and something different then the Oppos may be for you.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I expect you will enjoy having a receiver with hdmi switching and handling and the ability to decode the newer lossless audio codecs. Yamaha makes some really nice ones. I am currently running a Yamaha RX-V3900 and have been quite pleased with it. I have also done quite well with my Sony blu-ray players (current primary player is a BDP-S1000ES). This player has performed wonderfully and played anything and everything I have ever thrown at it. Folks in this forum have said complimentary things about the new Sony S790 player. If you want a player that does streaming, 3D, wireless network/internet/BD-Live, etc. and do not play backup copies of titles that might be infected with cinavia, a player like the S790 might serve you well.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page