My Oppo 93 is defective. A mystery... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a region free Oppo-93 (previously functioned smoothly) which has troubles after 13 months: it can not play certain blu-rays.
Everything began with a Blu-ray that froze after 12 minutes. I could not play it anymore.
Since then, several BRs falter. Some are recognized as data disc instead of BR, so I can not play them. Another disk says I do not have the latest firmware while I have. Some remain at 0000000 and freeze, others freeze after an hour. DVDs play well..
I have undertaken the following steps on the advice of Oppo (U.S.) and the Dutch seller.
1) erase persistent video data (in flash memory and even tried via USB)
2) Firmware reset
3) re-install the latest firmware - which is only possible through USB and not with CD, as it continues searching.
4) disconnect the power for more than one hour from the outlet and then push 10 seconds on the on/off-button.
5) plug directly into wall outlet and not a box with power strips.
Without result. It improves sometimes for an hour and then it starts again.
The discs make a soft sound as if they are faulty, but when I check them on another player everything is fine.
All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
PS: Oppo UK does not want to help me, because I have a region free player.

Since a week, I also have this strange symptom. When a blu-ray is in in the loader and I start the player, it says
"no disk". After opening and closing the tray, in most cases the blu-ray is recognised, but sometimes they play, sometimes they don't and other times they freeze after approx. an hour.
Mean version BDP9xEU-74-0908
Loader Version: CN0900 8530
Subversion: MCU93-09-0218
chip DC.00.0100
NRD: MRD2.1-MT110304
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
^ The most likely cause (given your most recent symptom and what you've already tried) is simply that the laser lens assembly in the optical drive needs to be cleaned.

The best way to do this is to remove the top of the chassis, remove the protective plate covering the top of the drive and, using a Q-tip barely moistened with alcohol, gently clean the lens.

While you have the plate off, see if dust has accumulated in the optical drive and clean that out as well, being careful not to disturb the mechanicals.

If that doesn't do it, then the optical drive may need service.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

The strange thing is that I don't understand why the optical lens should be cleaned, as I never rent disks and my own disks are clean. They have no fingerprints or scratches and they are immediately put away in their boxes after playing. And why do DVDs play well?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan View Post

The strange thing is that I don't understand why the optical lens should be cleaned, as I never rent disks and my own disks are clean. They have no fingerprints or scratches and they are immediately put away in their boxes after playing. And why do DVDs play well?
Do you or others smoke? My father in-law smokes and in the past I have had to clean the lenses on his gaming systems because they would no longer read discs. There was a nice smokey film build up on them!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan View Post

Has anything else in your home accumulated any dust in the past 13 months? So has the player and its lens. BD playback uses a different (blue) laser than DVD (red) does. Even a tiny smudge of dirt on a BD lens can effect playback. Likewise, one or the other laser can go bad too. Cleaning is the best first step. If you're not comfortable doing that procedure, contact Oppo for an RMA and they will have it back to you in a few days. Forget cleaning discs, they don't work.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

Do you or others smoke? My father in-law smokes and in the past I have had to clean the lenses on his gaming systems because they would no longer read discs. There was a nice smokey film build up on them!
There is no one in my house who smokes. (Never)
post #8 of 9 Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided to send the item back to the seller because I still have warranty.
That's the safest solution.
Thanks for every info.
Kind regards
MHF
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

My Oppo was first sent to the Netherlands where I bought it, and it was a problem on the mainboard. Then it was shipped to a factory in England for repair. Yesterday I received my player and everything goes fine now.
Problem solved. smile.gif
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page