post #61 of 65 Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post

Dan

I currently have the EXACT same thing happen to my 330 a month ago. Also had the same thing happen to my 320 three months ago which is why I bought the 330. It's not a hdmi, connection, or firmware issues. It is simply a malfunctioning unit. I have also tried everything. Luckily I hooked up another blu ray mid movie and it worked fine. When I switched back I bad player (330) it cut in and out. Video cuts out few seconds, never lose audio.

I am a big panasonic fan but this is bs. I opted to buy a second denon 3313 for the bedroom because of this. Best but said it had to be sent in for repair.

FR1,

I received an email this morning from Panasonic asking me to contact there help line by phone.  I spent a good while discussing the issue.  At times I felt they wanted to blow me off but I persisted and had my ducks in a row by research on the net.  I explained this is an issue experienced by many owners of Panasonic Blu-ray and not just the model 330.  ON HOLD!!!   Okay bumped to higher level of tech support.

Long and short the excuse, by Panasonic, is the color mode xvYcc or x.v. color on the newer Sony discs is supposedly triggering the circuit in the higher end Panasonic players to try to upscale to 4K.  (Don't shoot the messenger.  This is what Panasonic is saying).  This may explain why I was able to watch Captain Phillips on an old Panasonic Blu-Ray player without issue.  The only work around they have come up with is to change the HDMI Color Mode default setting in the player from Ycbcr 4:4;4 to RGB Enhanced.  

Low and behold it works and the black outs are gone.  I read on another forum, and it may very well have been discussed here as well, that there is not much difference in using RGB.  A liitle above my knowledge threshold but a conversion takes place somewhere anyway after it leaves the Blu-Ray player to RGB. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 AM

When I spoke with someone they said unit needed to be sent in for repairs. Also, the 320 didn't start doing that for nearly 2 years. Then it started getting worse and worse. Once per movie then twice. Then every 3 minutes. The 330 didn't do it right away. Took a few months. Then started happening again.

So by changing th color deal for hdmi, is this going to affect picture quality? There is obviously a flaw here I wish they would work out.

Also don't like how you can't control the 330 with the phone app but can the 320. Like they went backward in technology.
post #63 of 65 Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danindel View Post

FR1,

I received an email this morning from Panasonic asking me to contact there help line by phone.  I spent a good while discussing the issue.  At times I felt they wanted to blow me off but I persisted and had my ducks in a row by research on the net.  I explained this is an issue experienced by many owners of Panasonic Blu-ray and not just the model 330.  ON HOLD!!!   Okay bumped to higher level of tech support.

Long and short the excuse, by Panasonic, is the color mode xvYcc or x.v. color on the newer Sony discs is supposedly triggering the circuit in the higher end Panasonic players to try to upscale to 4K.  (Don't shoot the messenger.  This is what Panasonic is saying).  This may explain why I was able to watch Captain Phillips on an old Panasonic Blu-Ray player without issue.  The only work around they have come up with is to change the HDMI Color Mode default setting in the player from Ycbcr 4:4;4 to RGB Enhanced.  

Low and behold it works and the black outs are gone.  I read on another forum, and it may very well have been discussed here as well, that there is not much difference in using RGB.  A liitle above my knowledge threshold but a conversion takes place somewhere anyway after it leaves the Blu-Ray player to RGB. 

That's the same workaround that the Sony players need for the Mi4K picture dropouts, they need to be switched to RGB. I never heard an official explanation from Sony of why this problem exists, but the xv colour (which is out of spec, as BD-ROM doesn't officially support xv colour AFAIK) is as good a reason as any. It's kinda ****ed-up that Sony's own players can't handle these discs!
post #64 of 65 Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 AM

The long and short of my answer about quality of picture is I don't know.  To my eye yes there is a change in contrast and black reproduction.  The picture is still 1080 P and 24P but the color is now not as balanced to the eye.  I don't like it and I will stay after Panasonic since they have opened a Case # on my problem.  I found an interesting article although somewhat dated that talks on this subject.  It is from Audiholics and I will post the link.  If the link does not work Google Search HDMI Color Mode.  Here is

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/hdmi-black-levels-xvycc-rgb   It is a bit above my head but even a layman can glean what is important.  I'll be back as Panasonic plays with this. 

Interesting that Sony is having the same problems.  I don't think the Blu-Ray players are defective.  I think they have a design flaw that they did not plan for advances in home video media.

post #65 of 65 Old 06-08-2014, 09:10 PM

I'm having the same problem of periodic black screen while audio continues normally.  I've played about 10 or so Blu-ray discs without issue until now.  I'm not sure what the difference is between this disc and previous discs.  I've experimented with all sorts of options in the setup menu such as aspect ratio, HDMI output settings, and other random things.  Did anyone resolve this issue?

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page