I've got Oppo BDP103 / 105 "Blu's", please advise. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my Oppo BDP-103 since December and have applied all the firmware and everything with success but, I am having an issue that I can't seem to solve. I previously had a Panasonic DMP-BDT320, enjoyed it, with no issues and was fine until I started reading all of the reviews of the Oppo and Decided to give myself an early Christmas gift. IMHO I think the picture of the Oppo is... softer, for lack of a better word, the detail, clarity and pop I expect is simply not there on Blu-ray, and SD content is improved minimally. Some will say the Panny added sharpness and therefore artifacts but honestly there was no ringing or other artifacts that were noticeable and the only issue I had was motion judder on medium pans which may or may not be the players fault, although this is somewhat better with the Oppo. I actually had to set the sharpness to +1 to get closer to what I would expect but still this wasn't as sharp as the Panny ultimately and anything over +1 added slight ringing. My display is a JVS RS25U. On SD content I had to adjust further, maybe it was the transfer but Saving Private Ryan looked close to awful, especially the first scene with Ryan his white shirt looks ridiculous. I had to lower the sharpness to -1 and change the noise reduction to +2.

My issue is that I have a feeling of deja vu, back when 480p started becoming mainstream in homes, I put up $400 for a Pioneer Elite DVD player because like all a lot of us, I wanted the best available to me, which was supposed to be a big step up from my Sony at the time. However once I got the unit home I was unimpressed in comparison, the picture was "bland" to me and upon calling the dealer, he explained that I might need to adjust to watching a "proper" dvd player with correct flesh tones. So I said fine and ended up sticking with it but always had a nagging in the back of my head, or buyer’s remorse. I am sort of feeling the same way here, I have had my projector ISF calibrated and everything and all I did was a swap players so it’s not the display. Also this issue I think I am experiencing here is less subjective, where color is something each of us might see differently and is ultimately up to the viewer preference in light of standards, focus and clarity is less so and should be relatively uniform, which is why this is bugging me so much.

I would like to first find out if it is something I have setup wrong, I have tried running hdmi audio and video separate to the preamp and pj respectively as well as the single hdmi always with the display running through HDMI 1, anyhow no difference was noticeable. Am I running the HDMI through the correct output? I have the settings on the player at 1080p/ 24hz (Auto)/ 4:4:4.

Secondly, I would like to know is this what I should expect and am I expecting something that can't be delivered, which is possible but like I said I felt the previous player delivered on the clarity but slow/medium pans were an issue.

Thirdly, though not likely, could this simply be a result of expecting something to be good so everyone ( i.e. reviewers) jumps on the bandwagon almost regardless of actual performance, thereby motivating someone like me to buy, but because I am not biased, feel a little disappointed?

Lastly has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions to help? Because, I ultimately feel it is something with my settings or setup, I will try to post comparison pics later.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am just trying to get Blu-ray to look properly sharp first, SD is a whole other disappointment that I will have to deal with, I just feel like for the money and positive reviews, this thing should look distinctly impressive almost out of the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures, same photo mode and everything. The Panasonic looks like it adds some warmth which is strange, Panasonic is on Default settings, Oppo has +1 sharpness thats all.

Panasonic

Oppo

Panasonic

Oppo
post #3 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
How come you are not discussing this in the BDP-103 owners thread as you posted the same query there 20 hours ago? Its not unusual to post a question about lack of response to your same original in the same thread. You could have also corresponded with Oppo Digital by email and provided examples for advice.

Oppo Beta Group
post #4 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Because everybody there is consumed at the moment with streaming issues, about 90% of the thread is related to that and nobody even read mine. They should really split that thread and others into streaming and disk based topics.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM

I bought and returned a BDP-103 two weeks after I got it. I wasn't impressed with the performance and I had an 'analog out' hissing issue that several others have seen and were unable to resolve.

I have very nice (but not top of the line) speakers and a nice 55" 1080P Sony LCD but did not notice significant improvements in sound or picture quality to justify the $500 price tag. I am back to using my $130 Panny.

I'm not going to argue with those that are in love with the Oppo (many protect the brand like it is family), but I decided it just wasn't for me.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page