My PS3 just died...so I have a couple choices - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the original ps3 80GB fat version, and Sonly charges around $250 to fix it, seems like I could just buy a brand new one that is slim and generates less heat and noise for $300 or I could get a refurbished one at Gamestop for around $220

Now I do not play a ton of games on it, but like to be able to play FIFA, however I was looking at the Denon Blueray players and they seem to be $500

Why would anyone pay double for a blue ray player when they could have PS3 for half the price and it does the same thing?

Is there something I am missing? I have had my PS3 a long time (and it only broke once) so I have not been in the market for quite awhile in regards to a blu-ray player

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 644
You are missing the fact that you can get a player for less than $80 that will put a PS3 to shame.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so what would put the ps3 to shame, and why is Denon so expensive?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

What blu-ray player is going to be a lot better than a PS3, I am likely going to be running it with a Panasonic 65" VT series if that matters

Also I do not understand if the prices are that low for the players how Denon could charge 5x that, the PS3 seemed pretty good for movie playback, I am sure there is something obvious I am missing here
post #5 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 128
It all depends on the features you need. If all you want to do is play 3D BluRay discs, SD DVD discs, stream Netflix, and output digital audio (HDMI), then all you really need is a Panasonic 220 or Sony 590. The advantage of the $500 players such as lower end Denon and Oppo 103 are better build quality (if that's important to you), universal player capabilities (SACD and DVD-A), and high quality audio DACs for excellent analog audio out. Even better is the Oppo 105 or higher end Denons, with even better audio DACs, but they are quite expensive (>$1000).
post #6 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 AM

A few years back I had on loan the denon 1611 and the philips 9600 player to compare to my fatty 60gig PS3

here is a short sumary.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-players/1386079-ps3-vs-denon-1611-philips-9600-bd-player.html

now I'm not saying mdavej is wrong but the ps3 is a pritty good player.

Now, this x-mas my 'old' multiplayer, the marantz dv6400 started to acting up, and while the fatty is still going, I thought now is the time to look for a new player. for bd / cd , and let the fatty rest a bitt.

So after some back and forth I landed on the panasonic bdt 500.I looked at the marantz and denon line up, and the plan was , same as I did a few years ago , but this time , get the CA 651 player to see if it would give me a better PQ.
But I could not justify the price for the CA on my budged , so I settled for the Panny and I'm happy with the sound and PQ it gives me. Compared to the ps3 it has the upperhand, it has some more Picture tweeks in the menu wichm, if you don't go overboard with shaprness etc gives a razor sharp image. More details in dark than ps3 can give, and more details on faces f.eks, and the ability to make a panning( fast action scenes etc) stay sharp .

The 3d, hugo ,tintin and Dredd, looks like a million dollars, I never cared for 3d, but after the panny got in the house I have bought a few extra glasses and more 3d movies. 2 ch sound, listening to cd is also great. It feels a tad more open than the the marantz player. Like removing a thin tissue from the tweeter's. One can discuss the remote, I'm not a hughe fan of it, but there are so many others one can buy if one dont' care about the slide pad style reomte . And aslo the player beeing a 'short' style one, so you have to have it on top in the rack may be a draw back.

I'm curently feeding the picture and sound from hdmi out 1 to my receiver , but I will try to hook it up so it feeds picture only directly to my tv from output 1 and sound only to my yamaha from hdmi out 2 to see if I can squeese out some extra detail. Dont' think so though.

Drammen rock city
post #7 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

sony is going to upgrade me to a 160gb HD slim version for $99 - so that takes the cake, cannot beat that for the price and very close PQ
post #8 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 AM

can't beat that :-)

Drammen rock city
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 3 80gb System