Baru HD007+ /Baru HD007 SE and Century Gray 5i-1600, chinese audiophile blu ray players, does any body have experience with these players? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, although i do not have many posts , i have been lurking around this forum as a guest first, as a member later for quite a few years now and i value it as a great source of information.
I currently own both a regionfree modded Oppo 83 (US-sourced), as well as a european dealer bought 103 3Dplayer and i need to get another regionfree and Cinaviafree 3D capable machine for my hometheater (103 is in the living room paired wit a Samsung 55 ES8000).
Best thing would be to find a new Oppo 93, but these are very rare and expensive beasts to get in the cinaviaplagued world. I have done a lot of internet research about audiophile blu ray players and i stumbled upon 2 chinese blu ray players and HD media players with very similar characteristics to the Oppo players, except for the possibility of a built in HDD.
One of these players is the BARU HD007 which comes in a 007+ and a 007SE variety http://www.xuting.net/english/product/bd007pls.asp, much like the Oppo xx3 and xx5 models, the other one is the Century Gray 5i-1600 http://www.cen-grand.com/en/content/?35.html, which is even more geared towards audio reproduction.
Rather than copy / pasting all the characteristics, i just included the links to the relative manufacterers relatice product descriptions.
Both players feature tick most of my boxes and at least look very well built. Since they are quite a few legit chinese audiophile products, these 2 players are quite promising.
I have not been able to find any reviews of these 2 quite interesting looking machines and i am wondering whether there any forum members that have more insight than i do.
I do NOT want to start a discussion about Cinavia or regionfree mods.
I want one easy to use machine (plug and play) and i also do not want to put up with a hometheater PC, although it might be able to meet almost all of my expectations, except for the ease of use for an absolute computer noob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Both those machines look great on paper. Depending on the price I might be interested in one.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

The Baru players seem to have a MSRP of 5880 Yuan for the base HD007+ and 11880 for the HD007SE. There are even some HD700 floating around on taobao, but that seems to be the precursor model.
The Century Gray 5i-1600 sells for 4600 in China. YMMW on S/H and import duties.These are not cheap players by any means, that is why i am hoping that somebody, maybe in the big chinese community in the US or Canada, might have some experience with these players.
Their price and some of their features might be the reason why they are not so wellknown outside of china.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM

AVS is a large international community and there is bound to be a few who either know these machines or own them. It is just a matter of time. I would be very interested to know.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

so nobody has any experience with these players?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 PM

After I posted I went back and checked and with the current coversion, they cost ~1200 and ~2000 dollars. That is a hefty price tag and most people want some proven track record before they spend that kind of money. They have to sell some to have a proven track record--Catch 22. Most would go with the Oppo instead of taking a chance with an unknown entity.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

That is exactly why i started this thread, although i would have to pay considerably less, because i could buy them directly in China while on travel.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, i took the plunge and i will probably will have it home in 3-4 weeks.
I am curious to see how it will compare to my Oppo 103 and 83.
I hope the english menus promised on the manufacturers website are well translated, otherwise i will have to bother my wife my wife frequently until i master the menus and controls.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 PM

That is great. Please update here once you had a chance to play with it. It would be nice to know and would be of assistance to anyone considering it.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yesterday i finally got my Baru HD 007+. It comes in a big box, very similar to the one of my Oppo 103 EU, except for the lack of cloth bag. The front plate is made out of thick brushed aluminum, as is the upper face of the remote control. The player as well as the remote have a weighty and very solid feel. Except for the brushed aluminium face of the remote, the rest of the casing has some kind of rubbery coating which gives a very good grip and a nice touch. If the remote was backlighted, it would be perfect.
The internal hard disk is very easy to plug in. I put a 2 TB HDD inside and hooked another 2 TB external USB3 HDD on one of the back USB (2 USB and 1 mini USB). So far i have played movies from the blu ray drive, as well as from the internal HDD and tested it with music files from the external HDD and i am very pleased with my new toy.

As stated in my first post, the player is region free for both DVD and Blu Ray (actually in the setup menu, you can just switch it to a, b or c or region 0 to 8). No Cinavia as well.
The english owner's manual is downloadable from their website, in the box there is just a chinese manual, as well as a fancy 4 foot HDMI cable.
I had to change the power cord, as it came only with a chinese plug on the end.

After a long and unpleasant winter, spring is finally here and i will try to spend as much of my free time outdoor, so i will not spend too much time with it right now.
I also have to finish construction of my 4 dual opposed 15" subs, before i can lean back and really enjoy my homecinema.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Thank you very much for your update. I was thinking about why you haven't come back with your report. Obviously, it took a long time to get to you. Your initial impressions look great. Please keep us posted after a week or so of using it.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Hi everyone,
we bought one of these. Device is pretty neat! It plays almost all file formats, video engine is amazing, the quality is top notch, build quality is good, but it have some drawbacks. First of all, the menus are crap. I really with Apple could give them some advice. Or they just copy them. It makes the product feel cheap. But you are not for the menus here. You are for audio and video quality. Witch is great. Second, I ran into wifi problems. It just doesn't want to connect. I had to use ethernet connector. Third, its painful to upgrade. I'm happy that they make frequent firmware updates, but to download, install them is real hassle. And to top that, if you do something wrong, or something goes wrong, you can brick your device!!! Plus there's not much info in english on their site. Ok, and the last one, but not least, is that recently I ran into some problems playing some of the new MKV files. It used to play them all, but now something is changed. Some of them just don't work. Maybe MKV been updated or something, I need to investigate, but not all of them are playing. I saw they just released new firmware update, so I will try to update and see how it goes. Maybe they fixed it.

So overall I'm quite happy, but not completely happy. Video quality is amazing, even watching some old dvd rips on my Panasonic TX-P50VT30E. Audio is great. You can play most of the media files, even not so popular ones, it has internal HDD bay, blu-ray plays all regions. The downside is just the menus, ****** firmware update system, and I think it's a bit pricy. But there is nothing else on the market like this! + That it's made in China does not give much confidence.

Hope my two cents counts wink.gif
Old 11-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Hi Friends,

This is my first post.

I am also proud owner of Baru bd-0007+ which I directly brought from the company in the Month of Feb'14. So far I am very pleased with its video & audio quality performance, leaving behind some improvements required on Internet applications (Youtube, Netflix, RVU, Cinema Now doesn't work) , UI (latest UI looks better, but still far from other popular players ). Overall I rate the player : 7 / 10.

smile.gif
Old 11-09-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absorber123 View Post

Hi Friends,

This is my first post.

I am also proud owner of Baru bd-0007+ which I directly brought from the company in the Month of Feb'13. So far I am very pleased with its video & audio quality performance, leaving behind some improvements required on Internet applications (Youtube, Netflix, RVU, Cinema Now doesn't work) , UI (latest UI looks better, but still far from other popular players ). Overall I rate the player : 7 / 10.

smile.gif

Tags
Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv