Should I buy a Blu-ray player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am just getting started with home theater. Last July I bought a 5.1 surround system and an A/V receiver, and on Black Friday I got a Toshiba 40" 1080p HDTV to replace a 12-year-old 25" CRT. The last piece of the puzzle that I would like to get is a Blu-ray player to upgrade our old, cheap DVD player that occasionally locks up. I have read very good reviews of the Sony BDP-S590, but I am still slightly unsure if a Blu-ray player will be necessary. We sit as far as 10 or 11 feet away from our 40-inch 1080p HDTV, so is getting a Blu-ray player worth the money? Amazon also seems to be running some kind of sale, although I don't know how much the price has come down. Some other factors: Right now we are connecting via component video. Our DVD player does not upscale. It has no front panel display, USB port, or DLNA support (the BDP-S590 has all of them). Also, I own a 1080p AVCHD camcorder that I use for events and ameteur filmmaking, and I would like to be able to view the finished product in full HD after editing.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yes. Buy a Blu-ray player. I recommend the Panasonics. The 2012 models will be selling very cheap because the 2013 models are about to come out.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haymond View Post

I am just getting started with home theater. Last July I bought a 5.1 surround system and an A/V receiver, and on Black Friday I got a Toshiba 40" 1080p HDTV to replace a 12-year-old 25" CRT. The last piece of the puzzle that I would like to get is a Blu-ray player to upgrade our old, cheap DVD player that occasionally locks up. I have read very good reviews of the Sony BDP-S590, but I am still slightly unsure if a Blu-ray player will be necessary. We sit as far as 10 or 11 feet away from our 40-inch 1080p HDTV, so is getting a Blu-ray player worth the money? Amazon also seems to be running some kind of sale, although I don't know how much the price has come down. Some other factors: Right now we are connecting via component video. Our DVD player does not upscale. It has no front panel display, USB port, or DLNA support (the BDP-S590 has all of them). Also, I own a 1080p AVCHD camcorder that I use for events and ameteur filmmaking, and I would like to be able to view the finished product in full HD after editing.

What do you guys think?

It's discounted at least $50 everywhere. Amazon also offer a $20 vod credit too. You'll also get a $5.99 credit with Vudu too.

The s590 is a great player and if you want good DLNA and amazon vod in 5.1 with wishlists its superior to what panasonic offer.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks...that's very helpful. I had originally narrowed the options down to 2: the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and the Sony BDP-S590. From what I can tell, the Sony is a better option for me. It has better DLNA support etc.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page