Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey AVSers,

I am looking for a solid Blu-Ray player that can handle the following tasks:

1 - Playback full 1080p lossless MKV files. I want to rip my small Blu-Ray/DVD collection to a 2-4TB USB hard drive in full lossless format including HD audio. I know that these files will be 25-35 gig each in size. I am fine with that.

2 - Has a SOLID Netflix interface including queue/recently watched/search. My current Sony players Netflix interface SUCKS.

3 - Semi solid/solid Pandora interface

Is there a player out there below $200 that can do this? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Looks like most players, including the Sony s590 can do Netflix/Pandora solid but the question is the lossless MKV files...

http://store.sony.com/p/3D-Blu-ray-Disc-Streaming-Player/en/p/BDPS590#specifications

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post

Hey AVSers,

I am looking for a solid Blu-Ray player that can handle the following tasks:

1 - Playback full 1080p lossless MKV files. I want to rip my small Blu-Ray/DVD collection to a 2-4TB USB hard drive in full lossless format including HD audio. I know that these files will be 25-35 gig each in size. I am fine with that.

2 - Has a SOLID Netflix interface including queue/recently watched/search. My current Sony players Netflix interface SUCKS.

3 - Semi solid/solid Pandora interface

Is there a player out there below $200 that can do this? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Looks like most players, including the Sony s590 can do Netflix/Pandora solid but the question is the lossless MKV files...

http://store.sony.com/p/3D-Blu-ray-Disc-Streaming-Player/en/p/BDPS590#specifications

You'll have better luck posting in this thread >
http://www.avsforum.com/t/959985/official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here

The Sony S590 will play DTS-MA audio in a MKV container (AVC Mpeg4/H264), but will not play TrueHD. Very few players will play TrueHD in a MKV. The exception is the new Oppo 103, although you do need to set the audio output to PCM rather than bitstream.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony 590...and it's such a pain because it's Sony and it just won't do everything easily...mkv files for example I've pretty much given up on.

However, it does seem to work when you know what to do except for subtitles.

I have found that it plays .m2ts files without any problems other than it doesn't seem to support subtitles in that file container. It could be my encoder though. The player plays mkv files as long as they are not TrueHD sound or VC-1 video which is major pain since many blurays have one or both of those. Anyway, even when the mkv file plays, or for any m2ts file, I haven't been able to get the subtitles to work. They work fine when played on my pc. I have been using DVDFab.

My last thought is the subtitles thing might be the DVDfab software I'm using, maybe a different encoder will make a subtitle playable file, but I haven't had time or been able to work that out yet. Seems almost trivial until you realize they are not present and they appear more than you'd think in movies because of foriegn and alien languages - I like Sci-Fi.

Bottom line, the 590 has played everything I've thrown at it in the highest possible quality, LPCM, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, off of a USB hard drive, flash drive, burned to disc as long as it has been in a .m2ts file - no matter the codec used, H.264, MPEG 1,2,4, VC-1.

The only problem with m2ts is it seems it doesn't keep chapters, not usually a problem but mkv is nice because you can use the chapter ahead function like with a regular DVD or Bluray.

Oh, if burned as a bluray disc, BD-R, in other words the BDMV folder structure I haven't had any issues whatsoever playing any codec/subtitles.

Almost forgot, one other issue, although I haven't noticed a real difference when actually watching (which is nice), any file played, versus a bluray disc will only output in 60Hz. (I have a 120Hz TV so maybe that's why I haven't noticed it). The discs will play at 1080p/24fps, and even if the file is at 1080p/24fps, it will still output at 1080p/60p. Example, I played a BD-R disc and it outputs at 1080p/24fps, but when I just copy the actual m2ts file from inside the BDMV/STREAM folder, the exact same file bit for bit, it will output at 1080p/60fps.

Hope this helps

Ben

PS - If anyone has found a Bluray player that just seems to work, play everything easily, please post! In other words, If you can just "remux" into mkv and save burning a BD-R I'd like to know so I can buy one.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page