Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI, Gang!

My BDP-S350 remote stopped working.

I have an RCA UniversalRemote RCR660 which I have tried to program to control this Blu-ray player. None of the included codes work.

I have also attempted to use a Sony PS3 bluetooth remote, thinking it might support bluetooth control...this doesn't work either as you probably know.

I'm pretty much dead in the water if I want to access 'advanced' features like fast forward, menu control, etc.

Any ideas what the code might be for my RCA remote to control the BDP-S350 to get it fully functional again, thank you, I'll take any suggestions!
gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I suspect the IR receiver in the unit isn't functioning any more. You could try unplugging the unit from the wall and hope that the "wait" will reset things maybe...
post #3 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 288
There is no code for that remote. The code on an RCA RCRP05BR, available almost anywhere, is DVD 1516.

You can check your current remote by looking at it through a digital camera. If you see flashing when you press a button, the remote is probably fine.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

The unit has been unplugged for a day or two.

The unit was dropped by previous owner, and right hand corner where the open/close switch is has popped up from the case, wonder if that caused intermittent IR problems.

Sadly, I have no digital camera to check IR function of remote.

Is it worth buying a used Sony RMT-B101A, which seems universal to these BD players for a try for $13?

Or should I just scope out the RCA RCRP05BR and leave it at that?

Thank you, gentlemen!
post #5 of 11 Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Given this new info, the problem is most likely the player, not the remote. Can you really get a Sony remote shipped for that price? If so, just make sure you can easily return it.

You can also operate the player via an iPhone or android or via your tv remote and Bravia sync.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

They sell Sony remotes for $13 w/free shipping on eBay!

I have an iphone 1 and iPad 3, are there special codes for them to control the BDP-S350?

Or do you know what apps I'd need to make them work?

I also have an LG 50" inch, but no manual on how to program.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal55 View Post

The unit has been unplugged for a day or two.

The unit was dropped by previous owner, and right hand corner where the open/close switch is has popped up from the case, wonder if that caused intermittent IR problems.

Sadly, I have no digital camera to check IR function of remote.

Is it worth buying a used Sony RMT-B101A, which seems universal to these BD players for a try for $13?

Or should I just scope out the RCA RCRP05BR and leave it at that?

Thank you, gentlemen!

That might have been good information to include in your first post... WHAT! Since its been "drop footballed", you might as well try opening up the case and see what damage is inside. Its unlikely you have a remote problem, you have a player problem.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They sell Sony remotes for $13 w/free shipping on eBay!

I have an iphone 1 and iPad 3, are there special codes for them to control the BDP-S350?

Or do you know what apps I'd need to make them work?

I also have an LG 50" inch, but no manual on how to program.
Sony's remote app is called MediaRemote, but it may not work with on old player like the 350.

To control it from your TV remote, enable SimpLink in the setup menus and hopefully it will detect the sony and let you control at least the menus. If your TV remote has playback buttons, those should work as well.

All sony blu-ray players use the same codes, so any original sony blu-ray remote will work.

The iPad 3 has a camera, correct? You should be able to see the IR LED blinking with that.

Honestly, unless you are really desperate, you should just chuck that player and get a new one. A used BX-18 goes for about $30 shipped on ebay. Better than throwing money at a broken, outdated player.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, mdavej and budwich for your great responses, time and help with this!
post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Final Update: I did open the player up and everything seemed to be in order (not that I could've told if the IR receiver was damaged or not, the lens looked fine.) Cuz I wanted to resurrect the player, I bought a used Logitech Harmony 688 on eBay for $8 including shipping. I downloaded the Harmony software, told the remote I had the S350 BD and voila, the remote controls the player perfectly. Thanks again for your troubleshooting suggestions!
post #11 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Final Update: I did open the player up and everything seemed to be in order (not that I could've told if the IR receiver was damaged or not, the lens looked fine.) Cuz I wanted to resurrect the player, I bought a used Logitech Harmony 688 on eBay for $8 including shipping. I downloaded the Harmony software, told the remote I had the S350 BD and voila, the remote controls the player perfectly. Thanks again for your troubleshooting suggestions!
Glad it worked out. Great deal on that harmony.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page