Audio dropouts during Disney 3D bds with TrueHD. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to find out what's causing this problem. I have a dual-HDMI player and get constant audio dropouts with Monsters Inc. 3D. I also had 2 audio dropouts with Brave 3D. Anyone else who has experienced these dropouts, can you please tell me what your setup is? If you have Brave, can tell me if there is a dropout specifically at the 0:01:15 mark? Thanks.

Panasonic GT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Onkyo 805
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
This is being discussed in the software forums for each of the titles. This is also being discussed within the player threads for each player, ie Oppo 103, Sony 790, etc. It is not the fault of the players. Dolby changed the compression for their 7.1 titles which requires a firmware update for the receivers. Otherwise, select PCM and it will play just fine.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I feel rather silly for not trying that. redface.gif
post #4 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

This is being discussed in the software forums for each of the titles. This is also being discussed within the player threads for each player, ie Oppo 103, Sony 790, etc. It is not the fault of the players. Dolby changed the compression for their 7.1 titles which requires a firmware update for the receivers. Otherwise, select PCM and it will play just fine.

S~

So if I have an older AVR (RX-V667) and I'm not expecting to ever get an update this will probably be an issue until I buy a new AVR?
post #5 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
No. Read the relevant threads: there is not a consensus what the real cause of the problem is and from my quick look the new Dolby compression (whatever it is) isn't one and the Sony 790 has issues with PCM too.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #6 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kilian. I was linked here from a different thread, possibly the S790 thread. smile.gif
post #7 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 13
Regarding the audio drop-outs --- I spoke to Disney technical support today. I was informed that the preferred setting on the blu-ray players for output is LPCM. I was told this is the preferred method of output and that using bitstream on HDMI other than optical/digital out can cause not only the audio drop-outs but for not being able to even hear the dialogue.

I have an Oppo BDP-93 and Oppo is also looking into this as well, so you might want to check with your own blu-ray player manufacturer to see if there have been problems reported. There is even the suggestion that the receivers may also need to be up-dated with firmware to account for this, but that is just speculation at this juncture.

There are other Disney titles also report to have such issues including Brave.

I did try the LPCM output and indeed, the audio drop-outs disappeared.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I know bitstream is the preferred method of sending sound, but could someone remind me why?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM

I received the following response from Oppo regarding their players, but some of this may be directly related to your players and receivers ---

The changes in the Dolby Digital TrueHD authoring is what is causing the errors. The player itself will be able to properly decode these changes, but some receivers can't. This is why Disney is recommending that you use LPCM instead of Bit Stream.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I know bitstream is the preferred method of sending sound, but could someone remind me why?
People like justifying seeing the TrueHD light up on the front of their receiver, I guess. If the player is decoding properly, there will be no difference between bitstreaming and PCM.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #11 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Bitstream would also be the choice if your AVR has better DACs and decoding than your player. The idea is to have the decoding of the audio to analog take place in the best location. If your player does a better job, use PCM (or analog out); if your AVR then use bitstream.

post #12 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Bitstream would also be the choice if your AVR has better DACs and decoding than your player. The idea is to have the decoding of the audio to analog take place in the best location. If your player does a better job, use PCM (or analog out); if your AVR then use bitstream.

Decode to LPCM is still digital. Digital to analog conversion still occurs in the AVR. There is no difference.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Latest and greatest --- The folks at Dolby have e-mailed me indicating that they are looking into the issues. It could possibly now be an issue with the blu-ray players. When i e-mailed them, I gve them the specifics of my hardware, the issues, and Disney's recommendation to use LPCM.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Decode to LPCM is still digital. Digital to analog conversion still occurs in the AVR. There is no difference.

Ideally there is no difference but many receivers will apply processing to the PCM signal. It's up to the user to decide if this improves the signal or not. Personally, with my Denon, I prefer for it to be bitstreamed than running PCM into it and having it apply it's AL 24 processing to the PCM input.

I've also had no problems with any of the Disney 3D BD 7.1 titles with my Denon 3808 receiver. There hasn't been a firmware update to that model receiver in years. But I am also only sending the audio to my receiver. My DUO has an audio only HDMI output that I send to my receiver since it can't handle 3D. But if it's truly just an audio problem than that would not matter. But either way I've had zero issues with the 7.1 audio from the Disney 3D BD titles.

EDIT: This morning I picked up Monsters Inc. 3D and FInding Nemo 3D from BestBuy with a price match to Amazon. I played around 30 minutes of each in 3D with bitstreamed 7.1 Dolby True HD and had zero audio dropouts from my Denon 3808. So like the other Disney 3D titles I've played, these also had no issues.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #15 of 15 Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM

I own a Denon 590 AVR and Sony BDP-S185. My setup is such that the Denon AVR decodes the bitstream audio from the player. The 2d version of the new Monsters Inc Dolby HD 7.1 soundtrack is the first issue I've had causing audio dropouts. I also own the Finding Nemo bluray set but have not experienced drop out issues with the Dolby soundtrack that is on that 2d disc.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - P60gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page