Have the new players improved PQ over the years? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I'm talking about the bread and butter players for delivering a flat out great picture. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD35 that is at least 5 years old. Will a new player under $150 give me a better picture from a blu-ray disc or a standard DVD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Not really for BluRay, but yes for SD DVD, depending on the specific player. New players are also a lot faster loading, and most stream Netflix, etc.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
And if you want recommendations for a new player, please use the "OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE" thread.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

And if you want recommendations for a new player, please use the "OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE" thread.
I wasn't asking for a recommendation, I was asking if the PQ had improved over the years or was it as good as it could be with the arrival of the first or second generation player. I realize that a $500 0r $600+ machine may provide a slightly better picture but at some point you no longer get a reasonable return on your investment. How would the PQ on my BD35 stack up against the PQ of the new Panasonic 220? The only recommendation I want is should I replace a perfectly working BD35 strictly for improved PQ.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The short answer is no. The question is rather simplistic because it depends on what is meant by improved, how much improvement is worth it, how sensitive you are to artefacts and whether it is subjective or objective. Objective HDMI output measurements (looking for bit perfect output) have only been done for recent players so older ones like the BD35 were not measured and comparison will not be possible. Of the recent Panasonics, only the DMP-BDT210 has been bench tested.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

How would the PQ on my BD35 stack up against the PQ of the new Panasonic 220? The only recommendation I want is should I replace a perfectly working BD35 strictly for improved PQ.

Andy,

Two weeks ago I replaced my failing BD35 with a 220, so I can directly answer your question.

I cannot tell a difference in PQ between the two units. Neither can my family. So if that's the reason you are considering upgrading, I wouldn't.

However, I can sure tell a difference in disc load and eject times! I loved my BD35 but hated how slow it was. Very pleased with the new 220.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What Kermit26 said is right on. Most people(including me) buy the newer models for additional functions, such as playing from files using a USB stick or hard drive, netflix, pandora, amazon prime etc, possibly a better disc reading ability such as bd-r, bd-re, cd/r/w etc. Pure picture quality wise not much has changed.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

What Kermit26 said is right on. Most people(including me) buy the newer models for additional functions, such as playing from files using a USB stick or hard drive, netflix, pandora, amazon prime etc, possibly a better disc reading ability such as bd-r, bd-re, cd/r/w etc. Pure picture quality wise not much has changed.
That's pretty interesting. I guess they got it as right as they could back then. Blu-ray may be one of the few technologies that has not improved since it's inception (PQ only). I understand that bells and whistles have been added but for the primary reason of its existence the basic blu ray technology has not improved nor does it seem even possible. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Until we see a jump to 4K the bench mark continues to be blu-ray.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Depending on player and the state of calibration of your TV there could easily be a difference. As it was mentioned the Panasonic 210 was tested and found to deliver zero color error. We know other players did not necessarily perform at that level. The PS3 were known to produce zero color error as well. Having said that not many of us have the equipment to analyse an HDMI port.. So look at it this way, in the case of BD if the player you have properly implemented output it should not look different.

I have a Pioneer BdP-320 which was highly regarded at the time except for speed. The Panny 210 I replaced it with in my opinion produced a better image both for SD and HD..

I use a Lumagen inline between the player and the display and have a 125 point color calibration. I have not measured the Pioneer to determin color error but I am confident in the superiority of the image of the Panasonc 210.

Just another blank signature.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I remember some people saying the PS3's picture is a bit dull. A little bit of post-processing in terms of brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness boost can give that extra bit of 'pop' but that's subjective preference and separate from bit accuracy. This boils down to what custom picture controls are available in the playback device for those that want to tinker to their taste. The purist would want the option at least to output a bit perfect (or as near as possible to perfect) non-processed picture. It's the same in audio when bit accurate decoding is the goal. But it seems many people just care for a subjective preference.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Tags
Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Player Dmp Bdt210