post #271 of 296 Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdan77 View Post

Yeah, personally I would love to have a NUC hooked up, I have a synology 1513+ with plenty of media stored on it however the wife is not keen on the idea. I also have a few SACD ISO's backed up from my collection that I would like to be able to switch without having to be changing discs constantly. I will keep looking for the older firmware, I was just hoping somebody here might have a copy or know where I might find it. Thanks for the replies TripleFun.

Dan

Unless you are computer savvy you wouldn't be able to rollback firmware anyway if you found it.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 296 Old 05-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I found this site with detailed instructions on how to downgrade the firmware (using google translate) http://www.audioplanet.biz/t42158-oppo-bdp-93-95-y-cambridge-audio-651bd-751bd-recuperar-anterior-firmware 

I found the same instructions on a couple of German AV sites also

Has CA removed the ability to downgrade completely? Is there another method? I'm not too bad with computers and would be happy to try another method. Older version of this firmware for "region B" seems almost like a myth! I managed to find several sources for "region A".

The link for that is here if anybody is interested

http://narod.yandex.ru/disk/50873036001.2c4c8ca5f9ace5b129b3b99f259119b2/751BDCU-11-0923.rar.html

post #273 of 296 Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16

For those who use the 752 in a stereo only setup, the dedicated stereo outputs must not be used, you should use the front channels of the multichannel outputs.

The downmix is bugged on the dedicated stereo outs, and affected strangely by the speaker setup and its downmix settings (which should not be) and none of the settings sound right.

With the front channels and downmix set to stereo everything is right.

post #274 of 296 Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnarbi View Post
For those who use the 752 in a stereo only setup, the dedicated stereo outputs must not be used, you should use the front channels of the multichannel outputs.
The downmix is bugged on the dedicated stereo outs, and affected strangely by the speaker setup and its downmix settings (which should not be) and none of the settings sound right.
With the front channels and downmix set to stereo everything is right.
I'm looking at getting this over the Oppo 105 as I'm not very happy with the sound of the Oppo 95 that I currently own.
Two questions:
- Is CA aware of the problem mentioned above?
- The same Wolfson 8740 DAC chip is used in my Rega Apollo (non-R) and I really like the sound. Is the 752 likely to have a similar sound even if the Wolfson 8704 DAC implementation done by CA is different?
post #275 of 296 Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 PM

I don't know if CA is aware of it, but they don't have applied the last speaker management firmware update that oppo did, so maybe this will solve the problem. On my setup it isn't really a problem, should I use dedicated stereo out or front out, it doesn't matter to me.
Cambridge releases firmware updates based on what oppo did 1 month or 2 before, so we get the same updates over time, it just takes a bit longer.

It's sounding very similar to the 751BD, a full, warm, detailed and open sound, wonderful on vocals, and deep bass. I never listened to an oppo but seriously doubt it could output a more pleasing sound than that. And seeing the reports on the 105 here, there seem to be a bunch of people that don't feel right with the 105's sound. I never saw a 752 user anywhere on the net be disappointed in how it sounds, to be noted.
Many CD players even more expensive don't sound as good.

Same DAC, possibly kind of a sound signature with some similarities. But a DAC isn't everything and won't do all the results on its own. There are cambridge dealers everywhere, you should try to borrow one and try by yourself on your setup, it's common practice.

Last edited by lnarbi; 06-13-2014 at 11:46 PM.
post #276 of 296 Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info Inarbi, your comments on the sound characteristics very helpful.I personally find the Oppo 95 quite lean and a bit thin sounding so a " full, warm, detailed and open sound, wonderful on vocals, and deep bass" is right up my alley. I will check out the 7 CA dealers here in Vancouver, perhaps one of them might be willing to let me trial the 752D....

If I may, another question: I'm currently using an 4 input HDMI switch as I have too many sources (Oppo, WD TV Live, Xbox 360s, wireless streamer from PC), are there any known issues with switching between the two HDMI inputs on the 752BD? I'd use one for the WD TV Live and the other for the remaining sources via the switch.
post #277 of 296 Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 AM

I truly don't know about the HDMI inputs as I don't use them, but the main system board is the same mediatek one as the oppo 103/105, with the same possibilities and known issues (if some still remain), so you could find answers on oppo topics. Picture-wise outputting 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 gets the best results (too bad for me as a kuro user, which prefers RGB), and sound-wise use front multichannel out downmixed to stereo in the speakers setup for stereo listening, subwoofer off, HDMI audio isn't affected.
post #278 of 296 Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM

The new firmware update available today did the same hotfixes as on the Oppos, when you test it you will definitely want to do that upgrade, it's even better.
post #279 of 296 Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
New Firmware

I have loaded the firmware and verified it now accepts a login to Windows 8.1 file system and when in DLNA (Universal Media Server) the scrolling speed is much improved. I have not checked any changes in configuration options and sound.
post #280 of 296 Old 06-16-2014, 02:41 PM

I noticed the scrolling improvement too even in SMB, and HDMI handshakes are a bit faster.
post #281 of 296 Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Has anyone tried navigating the test patterns on the Digital Video Essentials blu-ray with this machine?
It does not respond to the "play" button which is normally used to exit to the menu when the test pattern becomes still. (There is no way to "skip" to the next pattern on this disc.) So with this BD player you have to press menu to get out which kicks you up a level - very tiring

Anyone notice quirks like this on other discs with CA players?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #282 of 296 Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 AM

Have you tried top menu ?
I use this to get back to the menus while playing patterns on the S&M disc.
post #283 of 296 Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know if CA is aware of it, but they don't have applied the last speaker management firmware update that oppo did, so maybe this will solve the problem.
Was this a bass management issue ?

Pioneer PDP427XD - Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD - Denon AVC A10SE - B&W 804S HTM4S SCMS ASW825
post #284 of 296 Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 AM

The same problem the Oppo 10x had, a delay management issue that affected SQ, even without delay applied.
post #285 of 296 Old 06-21-2014, 04:36 AM

The new firmware seems to have introduced a significant improvement in pq and sq for my sky decoder. Picture appears brighter with greater contrast and detail. Sound has more bass.
post #286 of 296 Old 06-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Hi all,
I just got the 752BD and I'm trying to set it up to pick up streaming video from my PC and I'm having problems getting it to see the correct folder on my HDD. It only sees the video folder in my WMP library. Id there any way to get it to see another folder or do I have to add a different player to my PC (such as a upnp one) so that it doesn't look at the WMP folders?
It's been a hassle to try and get WMP to add the additional video folder from the larger secondary drive (my C drive is a smaller flash drive) so I was thinking that this might be an alternative.
It sees my JRiver library well enough.....
Another question as well, will it stream directly from an internet browser as well? I have a new Android media player coming so that's not as important an issue.....
Thanks for any help as I'd really like to reduce my other boxes to just the 752 and an Xbox...
post #287 of 296 Old 06-28-2014, 01:29 PM

You can configure a standard windows shared folder and access it from the 752, works that way too.
Otherwise try serviio as an upnp server, it works well. Kinsky is a great app to stream what you want to it. The cambridge isn't very responsive in upnp mode, but if you insist... it works (sometimes)(even webradios, thanks to serviio).
post #288 of 296 Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You can configure a standard windows shared folder and access it from the 752, works that way too.
Otherwise try serviio as an upnp server, it works well. Kinsky is a great app to stream what you want to it. The cambridge isn't very responsive in upnp mode, but if you insist... it works (sometimes)(even webradios, thanks to serviio).
Thanks, the folder is now configured for sharing to everyone and the 752 does see it but only sees one folder and not the other five folders, not sure why....
post #289 of 296 Old 06-28-2014, 02:59 PM

See http://www.universalmediaserver.com/comparison/ for a comparison of upnp servers by ums. UMS can also be accessed on the Xbox. The 752bd strength is to access the windows directories directly since it includes a very rich assortment of codecs.
post #290 of 296 Old 07-04-2014, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the help, I have the UMS up and running. Still learning the process , especially as regards transcoding. Some files seem better left alone (i.e. no transcoding) while others won't play unless they're transcoded.
I'm also going to give Serviio a try.
Another question, my 752 is connected via ethernet to the router but the laptop (where the media folder is located) is connected to my LAN via its intenal wireless.
Would there be any difference in performance if I hooked up the752's wireless dongle that came with the player or is that irrelevant with the wired connection that I have?
Apologies for all the questions but it's helping me reduce the number of boxes involved and still have great sound and vision!

Last edited by Alexdad54; 07-04-2014 at 08:45 PM.
post #291 of 296 Old 07-04-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post
Thanks for the help, I have the UMS up and running. Still learning the process , especially as regards transcoding. Some files seem better left alone (i.e. no transcoding) while others won't play unless they're transcoded.
I'm also going to give Serviio a try.
Another question, my 752 is connected via ethernet to the router but the laptop (where the media folder is located) is connected to my LAN via its intenal wireless.
Would there be any difference in performance if I hooked up the752's wireless dongle that came with the player or is that irrelevant with the wired connection that I have?
Apologies for all the questions but it's helping me reduce the number of boxes involved and still have great sound and vision!
I suggest you stay with ums - go to the transcode tab and select ffmpeg as your default transcode engine. Do not install avisynth. Ideally it should all be lan connected. If you are having trouble playing some of your media then reduce the bandwidth setting and transcoded quality settings. Also try directly accessing your media folder independent of ums.
post #292 of 296 Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post
I suggest you stay with ums - go to the transcode tab and select ffmpeg as your default transcode engine. Do not install avisynth. Ideally it should all be lan connected. If you are having trouble playing some of your media then reduce the bandwidth setting and transcoded quality settings. Also try directly accessing your media folder independent of ums.
Thanks for the help, it's been an education!.
I finally got the folder sharing configured properly (I think) and played a video streaming from my laptop to the 752 and it worked fine, albeit with VERY low sound levels. I tried both an mp4 file and an mkv file and it worked well. It is connected to the LAN via ethernet.
Then after I turned off the machine it lost access to the folder and couldn't find it again. I had to re-share the folder which did the trick but now when I stream I get tremendous video distortion on any file in the folder and pink flashing diagonal/horizontal lines through the picture. I'm not currently running UMS and there is nothing different in the folder configuration.
Any idea why has it suddenly done this in playback?
Edit: I think I have it sussed, the video only acts this way if I'm access a video file via the "My Videos" level (which links to the original video folder) but if I drill down to the original folder in the HDD listing, the videos play fine...a bit odd but there you are....

Last edited by Alexdad54; 07-10-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Update:
post #293 of 296 Old 07-10-2014, 09:18 PM

Sorry to hear of all your problems. I checked the 'pink flashing' and looks like it could be a HDMI cable problem between the 752bd and the TV- see http://www.cepro.com/article/test_yo...knowledge/K330.

Re 'losing' the directory I would say it is a network or disk problem. How are you connecting the notebook to the 752bd - are you going through a network with a central router. Have you run chkdsk on the notebook (assuming Windows). What capacity are the LAN ports on the router - 100mbs (Fast Ethernet) or 1000mbs (Gigabit LAN).

Playback of media using UMS requires a reasonable notebook (i3/i5, 4GB RAM). If the playback is not 'stuttering' you should be OK. What is the notebook configuration and what OS are you using. You could try reducing the quality and network settings in UMS.

Note when you play UMS you should see a 'transcode' folder option. This will open a 'directory' per media file and give you alternative transcode playback options.
post #294 of 296 Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=TripleFun;25652129]Sorry to hear of all your problems. I checked the 'pink flashing' and looks like it could be a HDMI cable problem between the 752bd and the TV- see http://www.cepro.com/article/test_yo...knowledge/K330. - I thought so too but no issues now, I have a Monoprice Redmere cable from the 752BD to the Epson 8350 Projector. Seems to be fine now. so I suspect it may be an issue of communication between the C and D drives. As the request comes into the OS C Drive which then looks for the video folder located on the D drive via a re-direction from the My Videos folder...
Complicated I guess but the C drive is a small SSD just for the OS and the main media files sit on the larger HDD.

I am going through a network with a central router. It's a Linksys WRT 160N - port speeds are 4 x 10/100. I guess that's Fast Ethernet?

Playback of media using UMS requires a reasonable notebook (i3/i5, 4GB RAM). If the playback is not 'stuttering' you should be OK. - Not currently using the UMS, it is playing/streaming well now straight from the folder over the LAN with no distortion, etc. Perhaps I can uninstall UMS?
What is the notebook configuration and what OS are you using - It's an i7 with 12gb RAM and an NVidia 650 GPU.

Last edited by Alexdad54; 07-10-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: error
post #295 of 296 Old 07-10-2014, 10:43 PM

My computer is in the same configuration, SSD drive as system drive, and normal drive as data storage. I access my second drive from the cambridge via shared folders SMB and have no problems (Windows 7 64). No problem of the kind to be reported.
post #296 of 296 Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM

I guess as long as I drill down to get the video file I want, it will play. I can get used to that.

The sound even after only 30-odd hours of play is a distinct improvement over the Oppo 95 I have been using, less harsh but just as detailed. Very pleased.

Another issue that's cropped up and one that I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but when I want to rewind a DVD that's playing, it starts rewinding the time indicators but the picture remains frozen and I can't get it to stop counting backwards and start playing again. I have to turn off the 752 and turn it on again to get the DVD playing again. I think I'm doing it right (similar to other remote controls and according to the manual) but I may be missing something, I'd appreciate any advice. This has happened on 3 different original DVD's (the sum total I've played so far...).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 752bd Universal Upsampling Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Blu Ray Players , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751bd 3d Compatible Universal Blu Ray Player Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page