post #331 of 343 Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnarbi View Post
Hi,

I have done intensive testings in that regard, I recently bought a Pioneer LX08 BDP for testing purposes (same as LX71 and close enough to the LX91 and 09FD I teted too).
The 7.1 speaker downmix is NOT the right mode.
I have managed to have the cambridge sound almost like the Pioneers, which sounded better prior the right adjustments in the cambridge.

My setup is stereo only and I noticed these huge differences in the downmix modes on stereo signals too.

The right settings are these ones :

- HDMI color space to auto on both, deep color off
- set it to PAL if you have a PAL compatible TV, NTSC is off on mine (but maybe on the US models it's the opposite, I don't know). Don't use multi system.
- 1080p/24 to forced
- resolution to source direct
- HDMI audio to bitstream
- speakers settings to 5.1, subwoofer on (even if you don't use one), and all speakers to large

If you use analog audio, use the Front Left/right terminals for stereo not the dedicated stereo ones.

HDMI Audio sound like crap (really), so if you use digital, use the optical out, you will loose the HD formats, but still have the DTS core or DD compatibility track which is about as good, and the gain in SQ is pretty substantial, pretty much the best SQ out of the unit. Analog has a little more punch, but soundstage is worse.

All these settings have audible effects on analog AND digital audio.

Something isn't right in the mediatek board, and I'm glad to have been able to compare the cambridge to other good sounding players (same DACs in the pioneers), to get the best out of it.

Edit : I just tested with digital coax, and it's slightly better than optical, I couldn't try before I was waiting for my Mogami cable to be delivered.
I'll try the other settings you mentioned tonight, but I use to run it in 5.1, and 7.1 definitely sounds better to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 343 Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"If you use analog audio, use the Front Left/right terminals for stereo not the dedicated stereo ones."
I use only stereo so I'll try this but (noob question) will this imply any changes to the Wolfson DAC configuration?
post #333 of 343 Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 AM

Well I tried those other settings, but found they didn't have any effect, so I've stuck with what I think sounds best, down mix to 7.1, source direct, and color space to rgb video level.
post #334 of 343 Old 09-04-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If your display was off, that's totally possible, if not, you should hear it without trying to.
It's also possible that the display hooked up on the HDMIs via its handshake and the negotiated settings on the HDMI link make the player behave differently.
post #335 of 343 Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnarbi View Post
If your display was off, that's totally possible, if not, you should hear it without trying to.
It's also possible that the display hooked up on the HDMIs via its handshake and the negotiated settings on the HDMI link make the player behave differently.
The display was on, the HDMI handshake theory may be right as there wasn't a skip in audio playback like there is with source direct, rgb video level, and down mix.
post #336 of 343 Old 09-05-2014, 12:59 AM

OK, I've got another tweak, try connecting a composite cable to the diagnostic video out, and disconnect the HDMI cable, it sounds better with the HDMI cable disconnected.
I guess I'll have to disconnect the HDMI cable when listening to music, and reconnect it when watching a movie or music bluray.

Interestingly the audio still skips when making changes like source direct, even when there is no HDMI cable connected to the TV.
post #337 of 343 Old 09-05-2014, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
From what I've found out since the beginning, every setting on the menus that drops audio when changed, will have the sound behave differently.

I tested again a LX91/09FD, well... I think there just isn't any player out there that is capable to sound that way... lol. Outstanding machine, too bad it's outdated.
post #338 of 343 Old 09-28-2014, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I've connected a media player HIMEDIA HD 900 to 752 back HDMI - video stucks, music tracks flac. mt2s mp3 are slowed to the unrecognizable level of digital noise evidently HDMI connection is the cause of it (handshake?) Any ideas how this could be mended or improved, please ..??

thank you

Sergey
post #339 of 343 Old 09-28-2014, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by as1serge View Post
Hello

I've connected a media player HIMEDIA HD 900 to 752 back HDMI - video stucks, music tracks flac. mt2s mp3 are slowed to the unrecognizable level of digital noise evidently HDMI connection is the cause of it (handshake?) Any ideas how this could be mended or improved, please ..??

thank you

Sergey

Please can you provide more details. Also what do you mean by "video stucks, music tracks flac"? Are you using an HDMI 1.4a cable and does the device work using your current cable straight to the TV? How are you sourcing the material and could there be network interference if you are using Wifi?

Last edited by TripleFun; 09-28-2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: grammar
post #340 of 343 Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would appreciate hearing opinions on a mod for the Cambridge's AC connection available on Ebay (since I have fewer than 5 posts I can't post a link, but here's the title: Oppo BDP-93, 95, 103, 105 Mod Kit - Furutech IEC, Mundorf Silver Gold Wire—also fits Cambridge Audio 751BD / 752BD). Price is $145 and requires no soldering so warranty remains intact. Wondering how much difference to sound such an improvement might make. Here's the description:

Quote:
Furutech Inlet (R) - Rhodium Plated.

(Alpha) Eutectic (Low Temperature) cast copper alloy Conductor.

Mundorf 99% Silver 1% Gold Wire 1.0mm - Double Run.

- Twist cable consisting of a pair 1.0mm of Mundorf silver gold wire, sleeved with white PTFE.

Cables are soldered using Mundorf 9.5% silver solder supreme - (Mundorf's top of the range solder).

-9.5% Silver is used for better conductivity and retaining superior sound qualities with 0.1% gold added.

Les
post #341 of 343 Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 AM

Why would the last few cm of a power supply cable have any impact on electrical supply given the quality of the house wiring system behind it? However if you don't have one then I suppose you will never know.
post #342 of 343 Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
"Silver is used for better conductivity and retaining superior sound qualities"

Nice try. AC inlets and power cables don't carry audio signals. They carry AC power which is then converted to DC by the unit's power supply.

Besides, a filtered IEC can be dropped in for less than $10 (that is if the player doesn't already have one) for those who are paranoid about RFI noise getting into the unit.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/filter.html

Last edited by AVfile; 09-30-2014 at 08:57 PM.
post #343 of 343 Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
"Silver is used for better conductivity and retaining superior sound qualities"

Nice try. AC inlets and power cables don't carry audio signals. They carry AC power which is then converted to DC by the unit's power supply.

Besides, a filtered IEC can be dropped in for less than $10 (that is if the player doesn't already have one) for those who are paranoid about RFI noise getting into the unit.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/filter.html

Better still, depending on where you live and the quality of your power supply (voltage and phase consistency) , you may be better off with a power regulator - see http://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-5KV...618105052.html. I have a 500w regulator in front of my sources (preamp, dac, cd, t/table, 752bd) with some improvement to the sound. It also supplies 110v and 220v which gives me options on my sources. I don't bother with the power amp - too expensive.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 752bd Universal Upsampling Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Blu Ray Players , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751bd 3d Compatible Universal Blu Ray Player Black
Gear in this thread - 751bd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page