Cambridge Audio's Azur 752BD - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 412 Old 04-13-2015, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I using MakeMKV to create MKV's of my Blu-Rays collection but have some problems with the Cambridge 752BD:
- first the player reported all the "Dolby true HD" tracks stored in a MKV file as MLP.
- also if a MKV file has two or more "DTS-HD MA" tracks, the first is recognized correctly, all others are recognized as simple DTS. No problem if there is only one DTS-HD MA track, or if any other track using other codecs.

I want to clarify that by opening this mkv files with PC software (MPC, mediainfo, mkinfo) all the track are recognized correctly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 412 Old 04-13-2015, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Ripping questions should go here.

Ripping Blu-Rays II

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #363 of 412 Old 04-13-2015, 05:06 AM

It isn't a ripping problem, the problem is that Cambridge 752BD not recognize properly hd-tracks in mkv files
post #364 of 412 Old 04-13-2015, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

TrueHD is based on MLP lossless.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #365 of 412 Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
TrueHD is based on MLP lossless.
It's true, but with the original blu ray the Cambridge sees the TrueHD track, instead with corresponding mkv don't...
However the quality is not affected, the real problem are DTS-HD MA tracks recognized as simple DTS
post #366 of 412 Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

It could be that when streaming or through USB it reads it as TrueHD. I've seen this mentioned before. Don't remember if it was in this thread or another player's thread. I'd try CA if you haven't already to see what they have to say.

post #367 of 412 Old 04-14-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
I'd try CA if you haven't already to see what they have to say.

Dear Sir, Thank you for contacting Cambridge Audio. The following video formats are supported on the 752BD
MPEG2, MPEG 2 HD, MPEG4, MPEG4 HD, AVC, VC-1, DIVX, XVID, VCD, AVI, AVC, MKV (4.1), DAT, VOB, WMV, MOV, MP4, MPEG-PS, FLV, MTS, M2TS, M2T, M4V

Whilst we strive to maintain maximum file compatibility, because of inconsistencies in how some file formats are generated and a constantly changing industry we CANNOT guarantee the playability of all file formats above.
We cannot support issues in relation to files ripped from official discs. We can only support issues with the original disc itself.

post #368 of 412 Old 04-14-2015, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Are you getting 5.1/7.1 with these files when it says MLP?

S~

post #369 of 412 Old 04-14-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Are you getting 5.1/7.1 with these files when it says MLP?

S~
Yes
However, the real problem are DTS-HD MA tracks recognized as simple DTS
post #370 of 412 Old 04-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had a 752BD - just sold it.

Good sound. Great picture. Responsive remote.

Only issues:
No Netflix app
No mute (I use it as a pre direct to my amp)

Switching to Oppo 105
post #371 of 412 Old 04-21-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperinca View Post

Only issues:
No Netflix app

Switching to Oppo 105
Please reply in the ways you find the 105 different. In particular, assuming you used 7.1 out on the 752bd, do you notice a difference between the 752bd wolfson and the 105 sabre DACS. Also, do you intend to use the 105 USB DAC processing?
post #372 of 412 Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am waiting on my BDP-105. I will update after I've had a chance to use it for a while.
post #373 of 412 Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM
kta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put a Chromcast into the HDMI input of my 752 and it works a treat- gives me Netflix as well as all the other stuff Chromcast streams. I have just acquired an Oppo HA-1 instead which it seems, from an audio perspective, to have a better spec than the 105D.
I also run a Azur 851N so I will be interested in the comparison.

Last edited by kta; 04-23-2015 at 02:46 PM.
post #374 of 412 Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperinca View Post

Only issues:
No Netflix app

Switching to Oppo 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post
Please reply in the ways you find the 105 different. In particular, assuming you used 7.1 out on the 752bd, do you notice a difference between the 752bd wolfson and the 105 sabre DACS. Also, do you intend to use the 105 USB DAC processing?
Yeah, be interested in the comparison. General opinion seems to be that video performance is identical, while the 752BD is better for audio ? Did you get the Oppo for the Darbee ?

Each to their own, but personally I wouldn't swap - I don't like Darbee, and the Oppo 105 is about £500/$760 more here than the 752BD !

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
post #375 of 412 Old 04-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Paddington Blu Ray does not load

Hi Guys,
Bought the Paddington Blu Ray for my daughter from Amazon and it didn't load. Obviously thought it was problem with disc, but same thing happened with replacement. Tried the disc in my old Sony player and it worked fine. Wrote to CA and they concluded that a firmware update was required to rectify the problem and to be patient while this is sorted. All my other blu rays have worked fine, but now while playing Horrible Bosses the picture froze a few times while watching. Starting to wonder if it is a problem with my particular player and nothing to do with a firmware update. What do you think?
post #376 of 412 Old 04-27-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ason Son On N View Post
Hi Guys,
Bought the Paddington Blu Ray for my daughter from Amazon and it didn't load. Obviously thought it was problem with disc, but same thing happened with replacement. Tried the disc in my old Sony player and it worked fine. Wrote to CA and they concluded that a firmware update was required to rectify the problem and to be patient while this is sorted. All my other blu rays have worked fine, but now while playing Horrible Bosses the picture froze a few times while watching. Starting to wonder if it is a problem with my particular player and nothing to do with a firmware update. What do you think?
Sounds like cobblers, to be honest. Why would a mainstream BD need a firmware upate in order to play it ? Never come across one that hasn't played on the CA, the only time I had trouble once was trying to play a BD that someone had left greasy fingerprints all over. Quick wipe clean and all was well.

To be fair I have found that if you e mail the support site , they are usually helpful, if a tad slow to reply.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
post #377 of 412 Old 05-08-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was playing with the setup for my 752 to get optimum two-channel quality but I'm afraid I might have messed up the settings and am no longer sure what the consensus is on the "best" configuration.
I currently have the audio settings (based on earlier posts) as:
Large Front speakers (L&R)
5.1 (although I'm only running 2-channel, no sub).
The sound doesn't seem as full as it was and I'm wondering if I should be using different settings.
I have read the instruction manual but I'd appreciate any and all views from owners.
Thanks.
TripleFun likes this.
post #378 of 412 Old 05-08-2015, 01:56 PM

What receiver are you using; how do you make the connection; are you using 'stereo direct' or are you using the receiver's digital processing features?
post #379 of 412 Old 05-08-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
What receiver are you using; how do you make the connection; are you using 'stereo direct' or are you using the receiver's digital processing features?
Hi,
It's running directly to a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated amp so no processing being done. I assume that's stereo direct?.
Speakers are set to Large
No sub
Downmix is set to to stereo - should it be LT/RT?
Speakers are connected to the first two outputs in the 7.1 section NOTthe stereo audio out.
Thanks.
post #380 of 412 Old 05-08-2015, 05:56 PM

stero output

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post
Hi,
It's running directly to a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated amp so no processing being done. I assume that's stereo direct?.
Speakers are set to Large
No sub
Downmix is set to to stereo - should it be LT/RT?
Speakers are connected to the first two outputs in the 7.1 section NOTthe stereo audio out.
Thanks.

I know someone says they have been having trouble with the stereo output but this reviewer with the 752bd connected to a krell did not seem to have any issues - http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2013/10/ca...io-azur-752bd/
post #381 of 412 Old 05-08-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I know someone says they have been having trouble with the stereo output but this reviewer with the 752bd connected to a krell did not seem to have any issues - http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2013/10/ca...io-azur-752bd/
I'm wondering if there is any other documented benefit to using the 7.1 speaker outs rather than the stereo outs other than than what Inarbi wrote in post#326, suggesting that if using analog stereo to utilize " speakers settings to 5.1, subwoofer on (even if you don't use one), and all speakers to large. If you use analog audio, use the Front Left/right terminals for stereo not the dedicated stereo ones."
This is what I switched to but I'm wondering if others have tried it and if there is a consensus on this......
post #382 of 412 Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is any other documented benefit to using the 7.1 speaker outs rather than the stereo outs other than than what Inarbi wrote in post#326, suggesting that if using analog stereo to utilize " speakers settings to 5.1, subwoofer on (even if you don't use one), and all speakers to large. If you use analog audio, use the Front Left/right terminals for stereo not the dedicated stereo ones."
This is what I switched to but I'm wondering if others have tried it and if there is a consensus on this......
It's a simple mater to set up either configuration. try it and see which works best for you. Then post your findings here for others to consider.
post #383 of 412 Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 PM

Well, I guess if no one else has done it then I will.....I'll try on Sunday evening (my only alone time) and report back....I'll do my best to describe what I hear but don't expect "expert" feedback though!
post #384 of 412 Old 05-09-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Personally, I just use the dedicated stereo out connectors, and feed it into my Pioneer AV using stream direct setting on the amp to get 2.1 sound. I can't see any benefit in using the surround outputs and downmixing to 2.0 ?? I would strongly suspect that the sound quality would be the same as all outputs use a dedicated Wolfson DAC, but why bother faffing about with the audio settings when you can just use the stereo outputs ? I would only do so if I was out putting 5.1 over analogue into the AV amp.

post #385 of 412 Old 05-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does 752 have audio delay option (same option In Oppo 105)? And does reduce P & S quality if increased high ? And thank you for answer.
post #386 of 412 Old 05-10-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by BillP 

Looks like the same price as the Oppo 105. What are the advantages of one over the other, considering the 752 is based on the 105?

I think Oppo's support is likely to be the biggest difference.
Oppo support- The main reason to buy one! I have experienced fantastic back up from Oppo. Even on Holidays, they will respond. Besides, the Cambridge is just an Oppo knock off.( my opinion)
post #387 of 412 Old 05-10-2015, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
Oppo support- The main reason to buy one! I have experienced fantastic back up from Oppo. Even on Holidays, they will respond. Besides, the Cambridge is just an Oppo knock off.( my opinion)

Agrred........Oppo support is truly outstanding.

Although they have similar architecture the Oppo 105D offers a few extra features over the Cambridge 752BD

They both approach 2 channel analog audio in totally different ways.

The OPPO uses the excellent ESS 9018 Sabre 32 DAC.

The Cambridge uses Wolfson DACS which upsample everything to 24/192

After listening to both.......I preferred the OPPO and bought one.

BillP.........I would recommend that you audition both too as YMMV.

Cheers
post #388 of 412 Old 05-11-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
That's a bit harsh IMHO. The 752BD has a completely different analogue stage, which is actually the most important differentiator between units. After all if you are just going to output bitstream over HDMI you may as well save your cash and buy a budget player. Furthermore, most independent reviewers have come out in favour of the 752BD sound over the Oppo 105. I can't be bothered to link them, but they are easily found.

Support ? Why is support so important, unless the player goes wrong ? Never felt the need to phone or e mail CA during a holiday, but hey, if that rings your bell.....

To be fair, if the cost is about the same for you, then the choice becomes much more difficult - on this side of the pond, the 752BD is around £500 / $780 cheaper, which again IMHO makes it somewhat of a no brainer in comparison to the Oppo.

post #389 of 412 Old 05-11-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight7m View Post
Does 752 have audio delay option (same option In Oppo 105)? And does reduce P & S quality if increased high ? And thank you for answer.
Yes it does. Can't think of any reason why it would impact on quality.

post #390 of 412 Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
That's a bit harsh IMHO. The 752BD has a completely different analogue stage, which is actually the most important differentiator between units. After all if you are just going to output bitstream over HDMI you may as well save your cash and buy a budget player. Furthermore, most independent reviewers have come out in favour of the 752BD sound over the Oppo 105. I can't be bothered to link them, but they are easily found.

Support ? Why is support so important, unless the player goes wrong ? Never felt the need to phone or e mail CA during a holiday, but hey, if that rings your bell.....

To be fair, if the cost is about the same for you, then the choice becomes much more difficult - on this side of the pond, the 752BD is around £500 / $780 cheaper, which again IMHO makes it somewhat of a no brainer in comparison to the Oppo.

Hi Cloverleaf,

MUST agree....... that is a SERIOUS difference in RRP!!!!

At least you have cheaper UK stuff.

I am in Australia and we get shafted by EVERYONE!!!

Cheers

Last edited by linger63; 05-11-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 752bd Universal Upsampling Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Blu Ray Players , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751bd 3d Compatible Universal Blu Ray Player Black
Gear in this thread - 751bd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page