Cambridge Audio's Azur 752BD - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 409 Old 05-11-2015, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
That's a bit harsh IMHO. The 752BD has a completely different analogue stage, which is actually the most important differentiator between units. After all if you are just going to output bitstream over HDMI you may as well save your cash and buy a budget player. Furthermore, most independent reviewers have come out in favour of the 752BD sound over the Oppo 105. I can't be bothered to link them, but they are easily found.

The Oppo provides XLR outputs and usb2 input from a PC with native DSD 64/128 support. Main difference is the Sabre DAC in the Oppo vs Wolfson in the 752bd. The Oppo streams native DSD 64/128; the 752BD streams DSD 64 via PCM. For a home theatre both are an exceptional addition providing a range of options to complement the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 409 Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Hi Cloverleaf,

MUST agree....... that is a SERIOUS difference in RRP!!!!

At least you have cheaper UK stuff.

I am in Australia and we get shafted by EVERYONE!!!

Cheers
Hi Linger

Well, if it's any consolation, we usually get shafted here as well, particularly on electricals, and most items here are priced in £'s for US$. The Oppo is a typical example, being priced here at circa £1000, while it's $1000 in the States I believe. With the exchange rate, that obviously costs us.

I think the CA is unusual in that it is a UK company, and perhaps the US distribution is a bit limited which inflates the price over there ?

I'm not looking forward to the cricket by the way !
linger63 likes this.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
post #393 of 409 Old 05-11-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight7m View Post
Does 752 have audio delay option (same option In Oppo 105)? And does reduce P & S quality if increased high ? And thank you for answer.
You are right, it's not in the manual. Go to setup menu - audio format setup and its the last item "AV Sync". This should be on page 27 of the manual.
post #394 of 409 Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 34
OT

Quote:
Hi Linger

Well, if it's any consolation, we usually get shafted here as well, particularly on electricals, and most items here are priced in £'s for US$. The Oppo is a typical example, being priced here at circa £1000, while it's $1000 in the States I believe. With the exchange rate, that obviously costs us.

I think the CA is unusual in that it is a UK company, and perhaps the US distribution is a bit limited which inflates the price over there ?

I'm not looking forward to the cricket by the way !

Cloverleaf,

LOL...based on recent events however it may be a wise move to extend the olive branch to a certain Mr Pieterson!!!!

By the way ....you don't want to know what ATC gear costs here!!!

Cheers
post #395 of 409 Old 05-12-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Cloverleaf,

LOL...based on recent events however it may be a wise move to extend the olive branch to a certain Mr Pieterson!!!!

By the way ....you don't want to know what ATC gear costs here!!!

Cheers
Yeah I think you are right about KP, but as long as Andrew Strauss has a hole in his bottom, it ain't going to happen !

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
post #396 of 409 Old 05-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This may be a dumb question but would there be any sonic advantage to splitting the audio out from an HDMI source going into one of the 752's inputs and using optical to connect it to the optical input on the 752?
I have a spare HDMI/Analog audio splitter lying around (from another project) and was wondering if extracting the audio and using the optical input would be treated the same as the HDMI audio input i.e. no routing through the Wolfson DAC's?
I have an Android TV box and would love to be able to improve the sound on video files played through it without using a DAC. Note: I don't use an AVR, just the 752 into an integrated amp for 2-channel audio.
post #397 of 409 Old 05-13-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post
This may be a dumb question but would there be any sonic advantage to splitting the audio out from an HDMI source going into one of the 752's inputs and using optical to connect it to the optical input on the 752?
I have a spare HDMI/Analog audio splitter lying around (from another project) and was wondering if extracting the audio and using the optical input would be treated the same as the HDMI audio input i.e. no routing through the Wolfson DAC's?
I have an Android TV box and would love to be able to improve the sound on video files played through it without using a DAC. Note: I don't use an AVR, just the 752 into an integrated amp for 2-channel audio.
How do you stream the audio from the Android TV over HDMI - is it bitstream or lpcm. If the former then you will need to use the 752bd wolfson dac to generate the analogue; if LPCM then it should be straight pass through. I also think you need to use the MCH enabled HDMI input on the front of the 752.
post #398 of 409 Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post
How do you stream the audio from the Android TV over HDMI - is it bitstream or lpcm. If the former then you will need to use the 752bd wolfson dac to generate the analogue; if LPCM then it should be straight pass through. I also think you need to use the MCH enabled HDMI input on the front of the 752.
There are only 3 settings for both the HDMI and SPDIF outputs: Auto, RAW and LPCM.
I have it on Auto. I assume that RAW means Bitstream....
My question is whether the feed via HDMI runs through the Wolfson DAC's (I thought I had read somewhere that it doesn't) and, if not, whether it might be a good idea to run the audio via SPDIF to the 752's optical input. If the HDMI audio is indeed processed and upsampled by the 752 through the Wolfson DAC's then I guess the point is moot.....
post #399 of 409 Old 05-19-2015, 11:59 PM

I'm having trouble streaming mkv files via Windows 8 to my 752BD. The player is supposed to accept mkv files, however I just get an error message The file is otherwise fine, it will play direct on my laptop, and will also stream direct to my ZT60 no problem. I should add that I downloaded Sharks codecs in order to activate the "Play to" function in Windows. Anyone come across this at all ?

post #400 of 409 Old 05-20-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I'm having trouble streaming mkv files via Windows 8 to my 752BD. The player is supposed to accept mkv files, however I just get an error message The file is otherwise fine, it will play direct on my laptop, and will also stream direct to my ZT60 no problem. I should add that I downloaded Sharks codecs in order to activate the "Play to" function in Windows. Anyone come across this at all ?
I can stream mkv files in windows 8.1 to the 752bd with no issues. Please use mediainfo to show the video characteristics. Please also confirm you are not using a dlna player (eg. Ums) ?
post #401 of 409 Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 AM

Quote:
I can stream mkv files in windows 8.1 to the 752bd with no issues. Please use mediainfo to show the video characteristics. Please also confirm you are not using a dlna player (eg. Ums) ?
Hi Triple

I'm not to hot on digital files, but the file is a "VLC media file (.mkv)". I am just using an Acer laptop to stream from. I have in the past streamed m2ts files from my laptop to the CA without issue, using the "Play to" function. it just seems to dislike the mkv file for some reason. I have downloaded the mkv files from http://www.demo-world.eu/

post #402 of 409 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I'm about to pull the trigger on 752BD. Need help on the following concerns from CA owners;
  1. I have a large collection of MKV rips of blu ray movies on an external hard drive. Does 752BD have any problems playing them through USB input?
  2. If I use 5.1 analog output, does it do bass management correctly? The older model 751BD was ridden with bass management problems. Are those bugs removed in 752BD?

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

Main System: PSB X2T, PSB XC, PSB XB, Cambridge Audio Azur 751R, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S500

Last edited by braveheart123; Yesterday at 11:36 AM.
post #403 of 409 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Hi Braveheart

Welcome back to the land of CA. I use the 752bd 7.1 analogue to my 751r to take advantage of the Wolfson DACs. Set speakers to small, configured the distances, and a SINGLE crossover frequency for the sub. I have had no issues with subwoofer performance. Re MKV I primarily stream from my Windows 8.1 PC and have not tried the USB. I can use either DLNA or SMB/CIFS to access my directories. After all the firmware upgrades I have no problems scrolling the directories and processing ALL media types including DSD64 and MKV. The only exception is DSD128.
post #404 of 409 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Welcome back to the land of CA.
I had to be back; CA sound is infectious

Anyway, can you copy a movie (small in size for your convenience) in mkv on a flash or external HDD and play through USB input on 751BD and lemme know if it plays with no problems?

Main System: PSB X2T, PSB XC, PSB XB, Cambridge Audio Azur 751R, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S500
post #405 of 409 Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post
I had to be back; CA sound is infectious

Anyway, can you copy a movie (small in size for your convenience) in mkv on a flash or external HDD and play through USB input on 751BD and lemme know if it plays with no problems?

Yes, just tried 5 different MKV files on a usb stick. No trouble navigating the directory and the processing was fast enough. In directory mode I think you could see 9 files at a time. All played fine with lots of options eg. select audio and subtitles. The subwoofer worked as expected.
post #406 of 409 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, just tried 5 different MKV files on a usb stick. No trouble navigating the directory and the processing was fast enough. In directory mode I think you could see 9 files at a time. All played fine with lots of options eg. select audio and subtitles. The subwoofer worked as expected.

The real issue is the 752bd, oppo 103 or 105 with or without darbee, and the Marantz ud 5007 or 7007. I like the 752bd being halfway between the oppos. I don't know much about the Marantz but prefer the ca and opp looks. Also the additional hdmi input and qdeo processing on the 105 and 752bd is also a nice to have - I connect my sky box through the 752bd with excellent results. The 105 and Marantz also support balanced outputs. The next issue then is burr brown, wolfson or sabre dac which again is down to personal choice. Note I recommend a Logitech universal remote for one click processing of the required access configs and options.
post #407 of 409 Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Many thanks bud for the trouble. Will order 752 tomorrow. thanx again

post #408 of 409 Old Today, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The real issue is the 752bd, oppo 103 or 105 with or without darbee, and the Marantz ud 5007 or 7007. I like the 752bd being halfway between the oppos. I don't know much about the Marantz but prefer the ca and opp looks. Also the additional hdmi input and qdeo processing on the 105 and 752bd is also a nice to have - I connect my sky box through the 752bd with excellent results. The 105 and Marantz also support balanced outputs. The next issue then is burr brown, wolfson or sabre dac which again is down to personal choice. Note I recommend a Logitech universal remote for one click processing of the required access configs and options.
One more thing.......do you have 752BD or 751BD?

post #409 of 409 Old Today, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post
One more thing.......do you have 752BD or 751BD?

752bd
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 752bd Universal Upsampling Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Blu Ray Players , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751bd 3d Compatible Universal Blu Ray Player Black
Gear in this thread - 751bd by PriceGrabber.com