My BD590 said "upgrade available" so I allowed it to network-upgrade to what turns out to be BD8.97.423 / H90378 / H09LGN.
Now it won't play BluRay discs at all - every one that goes in results in a disc error.
I have downloaded alternate firmware and tried to downgrade but the player is not recognizing the downgrade. Can someone give a hint what I'm doing wrong? Here's what I've tried:
1. Downloaded a .ROM.zip file which unzipped to a .ROM folder with .ROM-00 and .ROM-01 files inside
2. I tried putting the folder (with two files inside) onto a flash drive and inserted into system. The system did not say anything about upgrading.
3. So I tried taking the two files out of the folder and putting the two individual files in home directory of the flash drive. Same result.
4. Then I tried putting the two individual files into the home directory of a CDROM and inserting that. Same result.
5. I unplugged and plugged back in.
6. I used the "initialize" command on the setup screen.
7. Still same results.
BTW I am using an iMac to write to the Flash and also to burn the CDROM. Don't see why that would make a difference but just in case.
Any clues on how to make the player recognize the downgrade image?
Also: does anyone else have experience with this new .423 image? I tried 4 bluray discs on it and all ejected without reading. It actually works fine for Netflix streaming and for DVD but not for Bluray at all.