OPPO BDP-105 vs Sony XA7ES for 2 channel audio question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing either the OPPO 103 or the 105 for my bluray source to replace a PS3 in my main entertainment area. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with both the 105 and the XA7ES for 2 channel audio. I am very attached to my Sony but if the 105 is comparable in sound quality using the same components I might be swayed to get the 105 and sell the Sony to clean up some space on the entertainment center. For reference the other components I'm using are the Emotiva UMC-200 processor (in direct mode for 2 channel), Sunfire 200x5 cinema grand and the main speakers are Monitor Audio GS20s.

Any thoughts from those with experience with both would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Sorry I don't have experience with the 105 but I have used various Sonys and the XA7 is far behind 9000ES, 777ES, 999ES, with 5400ES being the best for CD never mind SACD. If the Oppo 95 is in the same league as the latter then I think you can assume the 105 will crush the XA7, unless you enjoy a very crisp strident sound. Oppos are said to be more organic and less forward than the Sonys.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by candide1 View Post

Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing either the OPPO 103 or the 105 for my bluray source to replace a PS3 in my main entertainment area. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with both the 105 and the XA7ES for 2 channel audio. I am very attached to my Sony but if the 105 is comparable in sound quality using the same components I might be swayed to get the 105 and sell the Sony to clean up some space on the entertainment center. For reference the other components I'm using are the Emotiva UMC-200 processor (in direct mode for 2 channel), Sunfire 200x5 cinema grand and the main speakers are Monitor Audio GS20s.

Any thoughts from those with experience with both would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Oppo 105 can actually act as a preamp driving amp directly. Would be interesting to find out if you still need UMC-200 after all
post #4 of 13 Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10
I haven't heard the X7AES, but "crisp sounding and strident" perfectly describes the
way my Oppo 105 sounds. It's a fairly new player, and I'm hoping that further break-in
will ameliorate its sound. I would be very wary of using it as my primary source of music,
unless you have very mellow sounding speakers and electronics.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

That is unusual, but the way these things are mass produced it is possible you have a bad sample. If you end up returning it I don't think it will get re-voiced and fixed. It will probably end up with someone that only uses HDMI and they'll never know about the analog sound - sounds crazy but it happens all the time here.

- AVStefan
post #6 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
MLM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalidvd View Post

I haven't heard the X7AES, but "crisp sounding and strident" perfectly describes the way my Oppo 105 sounds. It's a fairly new player, and I'm hoping that further break-in
will ameliorate its sound. I would be very wary of using it as my primary source of music,
unless you have very mellow sounding speakers and electronics.

Th Oppo needs tons of break-in. Don't judge it until you have 200-300 hours on it. Lack of enough break-in is one of the reasons that opinions are all over the place. Apparently people are even sending it out for mods before they really know how good it sounds.

Some have written that it needs to be warmed up for a couple of hours after being turned on. I don't know because I leave it on all the time.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

If you end up returning it I don't think it will get re-voiced and fixed.

I suspect like all other returned units due to buying remorse (without obvious faults) it will simply be repackaged, resealed and re-sold as new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM View Post

Th Oppo needs tons of break-in. ...

Some have written that it needs to be warmed up for a couple of hours after being turned on.

I can understand plasmas and speakers need breaking-in but players? What's the science behind it?

And warming up? Seriously...?

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, how great a product is that which needs hundreds of hours to sound pleasing? I doubt Oppo engineers had a unit on the bench for 200 hrs then said "OK now lets fine tune the sound."

- AVStefan
post #9 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
MLM

Liked: 12
On the basis of what I am hearing out of my Oppo, I think that's exactly what they did!
post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Don't believe everything you hear.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Kilian.ca,
OPPO can not resell returned units as new, even if there is not a thing wrong with them. There are regulations against that.

They can be "refurbished" and then either sold that way (typically happens late in the life of each model -- the only "price break" you'll see on an OPPO) or used as warranty replacement inventory.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I believe you Bob smile.gif but people still think getting an opened or refurbished (repaired) unit instead of brand new as warranty replacement is acceptable and excellent service?

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

I believe you Bob smile.gif but people still think getting an opened or refurbished (repaired) unit instead of brand new as warranty replacement is acceptable and excellent service?

As part of warranty service? Sure. If they fixed your player you wouldn't be getting new one back. If they replace it you may or may not get a new one. Read the warranty: http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-Product-Warranty.asp
Quote:
OPPO Digital, Inc. will, at its option and at no charge as stipulated herein, repair or replace product which is returned either in person or postpaid and insured to an OPPO service center, with new or reconditioned parts or products. Replacement parts and products assume the remaining original warranty, or ninety (90) days, whichever is longer.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Sony , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Emotiva , Sunfire , Monitor Audio , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page