1Likes

post #61 of 83 Old 06-23-2013, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

You missed one..........they're as in they are.

Now the grammar lesson is complete.biggrin.gif

I didn't miss it--I was just addressing the errors--no one has misused they're...yet! smile.gif

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe it was me with the miss use of the word their. Thanks for the correction. I hope you can find a way to move on with your life and get over this terrible incident.

I too thought I would miss SACD with Arcam, but since the Arcam 2 channel sounds better than Oppo SACD I don`t miss it.
post #63 of 83 Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post

I believe it was me with the miss use of the word their. Thanks for the correction. I hope you can find a way to move on with your life and get over this terrible incident.

I too thought I would miss SACD with Arcam, but since the Arcam 2 channel sounds better than Oppo SACD I don`t miss it.

turk,

Glad to see you are still enjoying the Arcam.smile.gif I recently discovered that I can get the Arcam for less than $1k through a friend, but it just does so much less than the Oppo though it retails for $300 more. As I good consumer this purchase would trouble me. I am not sure which I would prefer if I had both in my setup or maybe there would be split duty since the Arcam is so limited. I am not sure why Arcam would introduce such a limited product at a price premium given the competition.eek.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #64 of 83 Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

It is limited your right, but what it does, it does extremely well!
post #65 of 83 Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

You weren't the only one; otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #66 of 83 Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

It is limited your right, but what it does, it does extremely well!

So does my BDP-105!smile.gif Extremely well if I say so myself.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Enjoy the music.biggrin.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #67 of 83 Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

So does my BDP-105!smile.gif Extremely well if I say so myself.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Enjoy the music.biggrin.gif

Just so you know, the shop that recommended the Arcam to me also spoke really highly and very often about how much they like REL subs. They said they were the most musical subs they have, and they have a Wilson Audio Thor `s Hammer in their reference theater.
post #68 of 83 Old 06-30-2013, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

When you did have the Oppo 105, did you use the stereo analog outs or HDMI? It's atypical that you had a 93, 103, AND a 105. What's the story behind owning all that gear, and how did you get rid of all it?
post #69 of 83 Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterion View Post

When you did have the Oppo 105, did you use the stereo analog outs or HDMI? It's atypical that you had a 93, 103, AND a 105. What's the story behind owning all that gear, and how did you get rid of all it?

Bought my 105 Febuary 2013 and I was using Transparent Audio MusicWave Plus analog interconnects for 2 channel. I bought those specifically to utilize the DACs in new Oppo. Wasn`t all that impressed with it in 2 channel. Also it sounded really restrained when playing DD HD through HDMI as if there was a problem, so I sent it back and got the Arcam.

A friend of mine needed a good BDP, so I sold the 93 to him. I wanted to do an A/B comparison between 103 and Arcam 300 so I bought the Oppo, with every intention of sending the loser back and the Arcam won hands down for me. So I kept the Arcam. I decided to keep the Oppo too and just use it in my living room, replacing a crappy Sony.

For the A/B comparison I compared Oppo SACD vs Arcam 2 channel and for BD just strait up HDMI for both.

1. Arcam 2 channel was preferred over SACD, sounded clearer, cleaner and just more enjoyable. It felt like you were solidly in the high end world when listening to Arcam over Oppo.

2. BD`s, Arcam`s picture was a lot better, small details became clearer, and the sound was more dynamic. Almost as though you were getting more information, and the bass really stood out.
post #70 of 83 Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
for those who have any Oppo, does it play MKV files? Does Oppo plays a list of MP4, AVI, etc. like reading it from a windows directory the way like other universal blu-ray player does?
post #71 of 83 Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

for those who have any Oppo, does it play MKV files?

Yes.
Quote:
Does Oppo plays a list of MP4, AVI, etc. like reading it from a windows directory the way like other universal blu-ray player does?

It displays a list of files. The interface is illustrated in the online manual.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #72 of 83 Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Bought my 105 Febuary 2013 and I was using Transparent Audio MusicWave Plus analog interconnects for 2 channel. I bought those specifically to utilize the DACs in new Oppo. Wasn`t all that impressed with it in 2 channel. Also it sounded really restrained when playing DD HD through HDMI as if there was a problem, so I sent it back and got the Arcam.

A friend of mine needed a good BDP, so I sold the 93 to him. I wanted to do an A/B comparison between 103 and Arcam 300 so I bought the Oppo, with every intention of sending the loser back and the Arcam won hands down for me. So I kept the Arcam. I decided to keep the Oppo too and just use it in my living room, replacing a crappy Sony.

For the A/B comparison I compared Oppo SACD vs Arcam 2 channel and for BD just strait up HDMI for both.

1. Arcam 2 channel was preferred over SACD, sounded clearer, cleaner and just more enjoyable. It felt like you were solidly in the high end world when listening to Arcam over Oppo.

2. BD`s, Arcam`s picture was a lot better, small details became clearer, and the sound was more dynamic. Almost as though you were getting more information, and the bass really stood out.

The Oppo BDP-105 only supports bitstream DSD over HDMI 2 out. SACD gets down sampled over HDMI 1, did you realize that? Sounds like your comparison wasn't fair to the Oppo if you didn't use HDMI 2 or at least the Analog outs. Then when you actually did an A/B comparison, you compared the Arcam against the Oppo BDP 103, a player 1/3 the cost and lacking those key audiophile features the 105 had. Why send back the 105, then buy the 103 AND and the 3x more expensive Arcam to do an AB test? That makes no sense at all, were you expecting the 103 to somehow perform better than the 105 you returned? Fair questions...

For CDs the 105 2-ch analog out is the best - provided you set up your Oppo's room correction. Arcam FMJ 300 only supports a handful of file types - not even FLAC! I'm playing my whole Jriver library over DLNA to the Oppo using Jremote on the iPad using FLAC files and it sounds incredible and SO easy to operate. 2-channel Playback over the analog outs is crystal clear, DTS FLACs play over HDMI.

I'd love to compare against the Arcam, but it can't do SACD or DVD-A. I'm not even sure how or why you compared SACD against Arcam's 2 channel (playing I suppose a CD?).

For me the lack of SACD is a massive fail... I hope you only had the one SACD disc and not dozens like me. ;-) Then there's the lack of MHL (Roku!), only 1 HDMI out and none in, 3D, 4K, FLAC, DiVX, no audio on USB higher than 48khz(!), I can't see any streaming abilities (yet?), aargh! My brain just imploded. Your earlier assertion that the Arcam blows the 105 away in PQ and SQ is also a bit hard to imagine given that didn't have them side-by-side. I'm just having a hard time believing your assertions in this thread and similarly odd posts about it elsewhere on this forum. Sorry, just too many niggling inconsistencies for me to take your word for it. Thanks for trying, but I'll wait for other reviews. I'm not saying the Arcam is inferior, just not as much of a world beater as you are asserting.
post #73 of 83 Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 AM

Yeah, sorry dude I`m not a super nerd, no need for half the stuff you mentioned and if you don`t want to believe my review that`s OK with me, enjoy your downloads!
post #74 of 83 Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Yeah, sorry dude I`m not a super nerd, no need for half the stuff you mentioned and if you don`t want to believe my review that`s OK with me, enjoy your downloads!

No worries. I'm going to check out the Arcam regardless, because you piqued my interest. I'm just setting expectations to be a little more tempered! ;-)
post #75 of 83 Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

for those who have any Oppo, does it play MKV files? Does Oppo plays a list of MP4, AVI, etc. like reading it from a windows directory the way like other universal blu-ray player does?

Yes to all the above. However, navigating the file tree using the Oppo UI is tedious. I prefer a solution like Jriver coupled with an iPad app like Jremote. This combo unleashes the potential of the 105 IMHO. You can use this to play digital music and video including MKV. I read that the last firmware "upgrade" nerfed mounted AVCHD folders, but haven't tried it yet.
post #76 of 83 Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterion View Post

No worries. I'm going to check out the Arcam regardless, because you piqued my interest. I'm just setting expectations to be a little more tempered! ;-)

Cool, let me know what you think
post #77 of 83 Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 AM

Liked: 11
post #78 of 83 Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
When I owned the Oppo BDP-95, I thought it was a great player, but I did not like the sound of its D/A converter over the Sony SCD-XA5400ES or the Sony BDP-S5000ES. However, if I were in the market for a blu-ray it would be the Oppo BDP-103 as my Bryston SP3 has a better D/A converter than the Sony and the Oppo. But, to Oppo's credit, they do make a great blu-ray player and functionally, it betters the Sony by quite a margin. Plus the Oppos include DVD-A and SACD.
post #79 of 83 Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Ive tried now to rise the sound level of the oppo to 100% and it sounds that much better than before! The integrated oppo preamp is some kind of mess that kills the sound! If i use the analog preamp of my jadis instead its a huge improvemt in stereo soundquality!

Anyone noticed the same?

Btw: the german Tuning scene also noticed this and improved the oppo to a goppo, by gert volk. Maybe ill give this one a try...

Recent Set-Up:
2x Cabasse Iroise 3, 2x Cabasse Minorca, 1x Cabasse Ambrose
SVS PB12 Plus + Antimode cinema
Atevio 700HD, Jadis Orchestra, Le@udiophil, Macmini, Audirvana
Oppo BDP 105 EU, Viablue Chinch, Hippelli Chinch, Audioplan Finefilter, Powercord,..
post #80 of 83 Old 06-23-2014, 12:25 PM

I have mine set to "Fixed @ 100%" and use my processor to manage the volume, so I never noticed this. Interesting.
post #81 of 83 Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo2984 View Post
Ive tried now to rise the sound level of the oppo to 100% and it sounds that much better than before! The integrated oppo preamp is some kind of mess that kills the sound! If i use the analog preamp of my jadis instead its a huge improvemt in stereo soundquality!

Anyone noticed the same?

Btw: the german Tuning scene also noticed this and improved the oppo to a goppo, by gert volk. Maybe ill give this one a try...
Because it's an analog volume control it will be attenuated as the volume goes lower.
Make sure you have the latest firmware installed and keep the volume above 75% to experience the best sound quality.
This has all been discussed HERE many times and available to read for free.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #82 of 83 Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Thx for the hint!!!!
Why 75? Is there an explanation in the >300 pages?

Recent Set-Up:
2x Cabasse Iroise 3, 2x Cabasse Minorca, 1x Cabasse Ambrose
SVS PB12 Plus + Antimode cinema
Atevio 700HD, Jadis Orchestra, Le@udiophil, Macmini, Audirvana
Oppo BDP 105 EU, Viablue Chinch, Hippelli Chinch, Audioplan Finefilter, Powercord,..
post #83 of 83 Old 06-24-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 133
^ That's about where the attenuation of the dynamic range becomes imperceptible.
Going below the 75 mark will allow you to notice the attenuation.
Technically speaking you should keep the volume as close to 100 as possible.
Only use the volume control on the player if you do not have a volume control on your pre-amp or amp.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page