Disappointed in the Oppo BD-105 - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 47Likes
post #91 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 01:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
How many are using a purely analog pre-amp in their home theater? That's right... just about NOBODY.
I guess I'm "nobody" . I take it you don't own an Oppo player. Different strokes for different folks but I guess for some that old saying doesn't have much meaning .

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I'm not sure what the appeal of having dac's in blu-ray players is. Frankly its stupid and oppo should just make an actual bona-fide pre-pro instead of stuffing high end dacs in blu-ray players. Why would anyone want an analog to digital extra conversion? How many are using a purely analog pre-amp in their home theater? That's right... just about NOBODY.

A bluray player needs excellent video output, fast loading processor, and an IP based integration interface.

I don't need streaming media players and all the other half baked trash they put in these things.
Well, I disagree with you since I need all those things you rant against. I have a pure analog amp and preamp (a brand new Parasound Halo A21 amp and JC2 preamp) for an outstanding 2-channel system for music listening, and I'm not the only one. And most people do want streaming for Netflix, etc. Sure I would have no problem if Oppo made a scaled down version with fewer bells and whistles, but they absolutely need to continue making the excellent players they currently do.
Tedd, Bill Mac, cinema mad and 1 others like this.
post #93 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I guess I'm "nobody" . I take it you don't own an Oppo player. Different strokes for different folks but I guess for some that old saying doesn't have much meaning .

Bill
That makes 2 of us!
post #94 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
That makes 2 of us!
Another "nobody" (no offense Bill) . I'm glad I'm not the only "nobody" here on AVS!

Bill

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #95 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Well, I disagree with you since I need all those things you rant against. I have a pure analog amp and preamp (a brand new Parasound Halo A21 amp and JC2 preamp) for an outstanding 2-channel system for music listening, and I'm not the only one. And most people do want streaming for Netflix, etc. Sure I would have no problem if Oppo made a scaled down version with fewer bells and whistles, but they absolutely need to continue making the excellent players they currently do.
I am well aware of the JC2. And I also qualified my remark saying "just about" nobody... I even investigated this setup long ago but then realized there are too many other compromises with a JC-2 since it lacks many important functions of an actual pre-pro.

My point is still accurate that there are very few people doing their home theater this way. The sonic benefits of a DAC in the player vs a DAC in a quality pre-pro are dubious at best.

The JC2 crowd probably doesn't care for the DTS NEO X or any other post processing such as "room correction". However a proper system will still need a parametric EQ in-line for bass management... which is better performed in the digital domain before D/A conversion. The Oppo lacks bass management before D/A conversion.

Still however my rant still stands, and I actually own an Oppo. The software interface is clunky at best. You end up paying over a $100 for rack mount ears (WTF?). Charging the price of a smartphone for rack mount ears is just disrespectful to customers. Just include them in the box, jerks.

My basic point: why is there not an OPPO model without all the useless (for most people) bells and whistles that is rack mountable out of the box. Simple 2D/3D functions that work (including seamless branching) is what most of us need.

Why doesn't Oppo provide IP integration support for major home automation systems yet? In other words a driver for Control4 out of the box (which Sony, Integra, Denon, and others provide). They sell a premium product but aren't catering to the needs of a premium customer. You wind up buying another $100+ driver for a third party for this simple function despite the fact that OPPO is IP controllable already.

Oppo needs to more aggressively cater to its target audience. My beef is not really with the 105D. The 105D at least contains features that its owner care about that no other manufacturer provides that I am aware of. I still say DACS in the player makes no sense anymore though: With Atmos and DTS X, I suppose they are going to stuff in 32 ESS DACS in the player... And perhaps Parasound is going to make a 32 channel JC32.

I really want to continue to buy Oppo products, they just seem to make it as difficult and as expensive as possible to get the requisite features. Most folks that want a rack mountable device are not the same folks that want a stack of DACS in their blu-ray player. I am equally frustrated with offerings from Sony (what is with the weird shape of their players) and other players out there with various deficiencies. Sony should have made the PS4 a straightforward blu-ray player with easy integration abilities... who in hell knows why they failed. The difference is that I expect better from OPPO. I expect the usual shenanigans from the other brands.

Blazar!
post #96 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

blazar, what makes the Oppo's stand out from the crowd are the audio DACs and the HDMI inputs. If they omit them, there is no reason to buy an Oppo (PQ is pretty much the same, at least with BluRay discs, with all BluRay players). Most believe they are a bargain (AQ with the 105/105D is at least as good as dedicated $4000 CD players). Without the DACs, I wouldn't have bought an Oppo (I was perfectly happy with my Panasonic 110 for movies).
linger63 likes this.
post #97 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Almost every blu-ray player today gets the job done... I'm not sure what the appeal of having dac's in blu-ray players is. Frankly its stupid and oppo should just make an actual bona-fide pre-pro instead of stuffing high end dacs in blu-ray players. Why would anyone want an analog to digital extra conversion? How many are using a purely analog pre-amp in their home theater? That's right... just about NOBODY.

A bluray player needs excellent video output, fast loading processor, and an IP based integration interface. Basically just about any major brand blu-ray player does the job these days. A player that doesn't stutter with the Atmos encoded discs is also relevant.

I don't need streaming media players and all the other half baked trash they put in these things. A non-bloatware player would be nice for once. The oppo is covered in technology logos in order to convince NASCAR fans or something.
I use the DACs!

For a while, buying a prepro was stupid as surround formats were changing so rapidly it made more sense to have the player decode them.

I also have an older prepro that I like but doesn't do the higher res codecs (just DD 5.1 and dts EX) but it does have an analog 5.1 pass-through.

I agree about the extras; I would rather Oppo had a player that concentrated on being the best BD player and didn't do streaming anything or worry about playing files over a network.

At times it seems some BD bugs take second priority to making a streaming/DLNA fix.

Last edited by kucharsk; 02-10-2015 at 02:02 AM.
post #98 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

blazar, your argument also ignores the many people (far from "just about nobody") who connect the Oppo directly to a power amp, which obviously requires the player to have DACs.

IMO, Oppo has positioned itself well in the marketplace as a high-end manufacturer. The 105/105D targets serious audiophiles and/or those who want a player that can function as an A/V hub (given its digital inputs). And for those (like you?) who want an Oppo for its excellent build quality, reliability, customer service, and/or upscaling capabilities, but who don't want or need the high-end DACs, they offer the 103/103D. I don't think Oppo will ever offer a no-frills $100-$200 player, which, IMO, would actually hurt its high-end brand positioning. No player can be everything to everybody. And fortunately for those looking for a $100-$200 player, there are excellent players from Sony and Panasonic. And there's also other excellent manufacturers like Denon, although then you're at Oppo-like pricing. One thing we can agree on is it would be great if Oppo came out with a pre-pro, although I bet it would be high-end and on the pricey side.
bakerwi and linger63 like this.
post #99 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
@blazar

Different strokes for different folks dude...
An Oppo player may not be the best fit for you, but that doesn't mean that you should overwhelmingly denounce
their products as something that is not of use to anyone other than a few people.
Many people need and want the features that Oppo BD players have, and that is why they have sold so many,
and are considered to be the very best BD players money can buy. At least that is what all the reviewers and owners say.
As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #100 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
@blazar

An Oppo player may not be the best fit for you, but that doesn't mean that you should overwhelmingly denounce
their products as something that is not of use to anyone other than a few people.
Many people need and want the features that Oppo BD players have, and that is why they have sold so many,
and are considered to be the very best BD players money can buy. At least that is what all the reviewers and owners say.
I would expect that why they have sold so many is down to the reviewers and owners claiming they are the very best BD players money can buy. But I do not see why people should not be free to express negative opinions of Oppo blu-ray players if they so wish. Oppo players are not sacroscant, or is there some cult of Oppo.
blazar likes this.
post #101 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
@blazar

No player unfortunately is the best fit for me. Shoddy engineering and design has become common in the consumer AV industry since margins have dried up considerably in this sector.

I didn't denounce the product entirely, just that the most obvious poor design decisions are being swept under the rug by folks that could easily be described as fanboys.

I would like to see actual criticism by actual Oppo owners in order for the company to improve.

In either case, my wish list is simple:
1. flawless bluray playback (my oppo-93 freezes every couple of months inexplicably).
2. If they are going to do streaming, I would be much happier with discreet IP controls that take you directly to netflix or whatever.
3. integration with major control systems like Crestron and Control4 would be easier to accomplish if the company just worked with integrators to provide them with drivers when the unit is introduced. Sony, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, for all their flaws, got this part under control. Oppo consumers are high end consumers that are more likely than owners of other brands to own a control system.
4. rack mount standard size 2u would be perfect for all products with standard side mount rack mount ears that come with the product
5. 3d playback of course
6. Able to play Atmos encoded discs without stuttering
7. A version of the Oppo with a simple HDMI output and no analog outputs (save some money)
8. Continue with the otherwise good fit and finish
9. Near instant load times
10. A player that can skip over previews and other junk on the disc and take you straight to the menu
11. Keep the version with DAC's and audio circuitry a separate version
12. improve the software interface for all streaming options with discreet IP commands to activate each of the streaming services and the transport controls for them.

For streaming services, there are a LOT of options these days. In my view OPPO isn't even close to the best out there. The Samsung Blu-ray player does a decent job for most people. The Playstation platform is pretty good as well despite the fact that integrator options for PS4 suck as far as I can tell.

It shocks me that so many companies do such a poor job with the software component. It's amazing how quickly companies have been caught off guard with the progression of software interfaces. The factory stereo in my $70k Audi Q5 and my brother's Audi R8 sports car both suck... The software in particular is straight up stupid. I work in hospitals and the software interfaces are horrifically poor... almost every one of them.

I would like to see a FLOOD of improvements in the next Oppo device in terms of this list I just provided. These are not rocket science issues, but it does require a certain level of obsessive attention to detail. I don't think anyone in this thread would be opposed to any of those improvements/refinements. None of the suggestions that I named are technically impossible either.

If I had written off Oppo entirely, I wouldn't be writing all this...

Blazar!

Last edited by blazar; 02-08-2015 at 12:44 PM.
post #102 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I don't think there is a cult and people are perfectly free to criticize Oppo players or any other product. At the same time, it is not fair to completely dismiss a player because its price and features don't fit your requirements or needs. I can assure you that most of us who own Oppos purchased ours because it gave us the things we wanted and needed. If you just want a Blu-Ray player, there are many, many brands and models to choose from (some even cost a lot more than the Oppos do). As to a "stripped down" model, Oppo made one briefly and it did not sell well enough to be justified because there are many other players that fit that requirement. Oppo (at least in the U.S.) is a small company and really has positioned itself as a maker of niche products aimed at a very specific audience but that audience is not the general public. I think they do a very good job of meeting the requirements of that audience.

By the way, there are no perfect products. If there were then choices would be easy for all of us.
Bill Mac, bakerwi and linger63 like this.

post #103 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovercat View Post
I would expect that why they have sold so many is down to the reviewers and owners claiming they are the very best BD players money can buy. But I do not see why people should not be free to express negative opinions of Oppo blu-ray players if they so wish. Oppo players are not sacroscant, or is there some cult of Oppo.
Umm, okayyyyy...
Can you please point out where I stated that people can't express their opinion??
Do you not think it's possible, that people who have purchased an Oppo player are actually
happy with the product and it's performance, and thus that is why so many claim it to be the best?
...or do you just think thousands of owners and industry experts are lying for no particular reason.

Once again their players are not for everyone, and when that is true, any potential customer can simply choose not to buy one.
You can also give whatever opinion you want, but you really don't get to speak for other people,
they can actually speak for themselves and say whether the player has what they do or don't need.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #104 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi Blazar,

Sorry to hear that your 93 is playing up.

Have you contacted OPPO about it?

Does it have the latest firmware?

Maybe something else in your system is not happy.

With regards to your "wish list"......there is another thread in here titled.......

What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115.

You may find it interesting to check out.

You could just about do a cut and paste!!

FWIW I have my OPPO 105 connected directly to my active speakers and am VERY HAPPY as most owners appear to be.

I hope things work out for you.

Cheers
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #105 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No player unfortunately is the best fit for me. Shoddy engineering and design has become common in the consumer AV industry since margins have dried up considerably in this sector.

I didn't denounce the product entirely, just that the most obvious poor design decisions are being swept under the rug by folks that could easily be described as fanboys.
That is highly subjective IMO, and Oppo is actually known for taking public feedback and suggestions into consideration when it comes to designing their players. They do extensive beta testing and try to include features that people want most.
Obviously it's impossible to make a player that is a perfect fit for everyone. There will always be compromises on both sides.

I would like to see actual criticism by actual Oppo owners in order for the company to improve.
There is actually another thread on AVS dedicated to asking what features people want in the Oppo's next generation of players. It has gotten some good feedback and criticism too. You may want to check it out.

In either case, my wish list is simple:
1. flawless bluray playback (my oppo-93 freezes every couple of months inexplicably).
Every couple of months? That's quite a long span of time, and I think it's pretty normal for such a device to experience that once in a while. TVs, cable boxes, disc players, streaming devices, etc... all do it.
FWIW, the newest 10x players are more advanced with more processing power, and less subject to some hiccups.
I also have a -93 though too, and though all the years I have had it, I only recall such anomalies happening once in a while.

2. If they are going to do streaming, I would be much happier with discreet IP controls that take you directly to netflix or whatever.
Not sure exactly what you mean by that. There is a button on the remote that takes you directly to Netflix or Vudu. They also have an app that can control the player for those purposes too.
I think you could also add your own IP control from 3rd party software if that is your passion.
They already have discrete commands for their products, and more info can be found on their website or by contacting Oppo directly.

3. integration with major control systems like Crestron and Control4 would be easier to accomplish if the company just worked with integrators to provide them with drivers when the unit is introduced. Sony, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, for all their flaws, got this part under control. Oppo consumers are high end consumers that are more likely than owners of other brands to own a control system.
AFAIK this type of integration is already available. More info can be found on Oppo's website or by contacting them directly. The RS-232C port on the Oppo players is what makes that possible.

4. rack mount standard size 2u would be perfect for all products with standard side mount rack mount ears that come with the product
I have heard no previous complaints for the last few generations of Oppo players having issues with pro rack mounting. Oppo does have a general rack mount kit available for purchase on their website. For specific brands of racks, those brands also offer custom mounting brackets and plates that fit Oppo players.

5. 3d playback of course
This already exists in their players.

6. Able to play Atmos encoded discs without stuttering
Oppo players do not have any issues with Atmos encoded discs (so far).
They do sometimes have issues with discs that have Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks that use a specific authoring technique called "Seamless Branching". This is easily sidestepped by using LPCM output in their older model players.
Some of those discs though may have ATMOS audio on them, and perhaps that is where you confusion lies.
If the Seamless Branching issue coexists with an ATMOS track, then that may have the problem you mention.
...and since ATMOS requires you to bitstream the audio to an external decoder, then the sidestep/workaround doesn't work.
However the issue doesn't even exist in their current line of 10x model players. So it's already cured in those players.

7. A version of the Oppo with a simple HDMI output and no analog outputs (save some money)
When Oppo designed and released their current model players, as well as previous generations, there was still quite a large
demand for users who needed to use the player with legacy gear that doesn't have HDMI inputs.
So the only way to use that gear and still get lossless audio codecs from Blu-ray, was to use multichannel analog audio output.
I think the need for it with legacy gear has gotten less needful over the past couple years as more people buy into newer technology,
but for some people it's still needed. It may be a good suggestion for Oppo to drop that feature from at least one version of the next generations models, but at the same time it depends on how much money it would actually save.
They would literally have to design and manufacture a different player just for the sake of making one without that feature.
So who knows if it would be worth it or not.

8. Continue with the otherwise good fit and finish
Yep. They have been pretty good at designing players that are aesthetically pleasing IMO.

9. Near instant load times
Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but Oppo is pretty spot one when it comes to competing with other OEMs and their players' load times. Yes, faster would be nice... I also don't like waiting... but I think "near instant" may be a bit unrealistic. Who knows what it will be like when it comes to UHD BD playback too. We'll find out in about a year I guess when UHD BD players start hitting the streets.

10. A player that can skip over previews and other junk on the disc and take you straight to the menu
This was possible when they made stand alone DVD players, and IS still possible for DVDs on their BD players.
I believe you can do so by hitting the yellow button on the remote when loading a DVD.
(I THINK that is how it's done. It's been a long time since I tried it.)
However for BD, it is not possible due to the way the discs are encoded. I am pretty sure no player out there has accomplished it either.

11. Keep the version with DAC's and audio circuitry a separate version
As an extension against the response for multichannel analog audio output above... this is dependent on whether the player does have analog output or not. If they eliminated the analog output, they would thus by default eliminate the DAC as well.
Again, whether such a move would actually impact the retail price enough to make it worth while, only Oppo would really know.

12. improve the software interface for all streaming options with discreet IP commands to activate each of the streaming services and the transport controls for them.
Already addressed above in #2.

For streaming services, there are a LOT of options these days. In my view OPPO isn't even close to the best out there. The Samsung Blu-ray player does a decent job for most people. The Playstation platform is pretty good as well despite the fact that integrator options for PS4 suck as far as I can tell.
Oppo does not focus on loading their product with tons of streaming apps that most people don't need or use.
In cases where the user wants a large host of apps, the user can easily add any 3rd party streaming device to their current 10x
model players via the 2 HDMI inputs. Oppo has even included the option of adding a Roku MHL streaming stick that can actually be operated with the Oppo remote that comes with the player. A very nice feature they added to the current models.

It shocks me that so many companies do such a poor job with the software component. It's amazing how quickly companies have been caught off guard with the progression of software interfaces. The factory stereo in my $70k Audi Q5 and my brother's Audi R8 sports car both suck... The software in particular is straight up stupid. I work in hospitals and the software interfaces are horrifically poor... almost every one of them.
Yes unfortunately many things in the industry are like that. For those of us that have a perfectionist type of thinking and pay attention to all things with detail, it can be frustrating to say the least. Most businesses design some things just "good enough" for the way most people use them, and sometimes that falls way short from the potentially better product it could be. I honestly don't think Oppo Digital falls into that category. They do try to make their product the best it can be within reasonable expectations.
There is always room for improvement, but to what end?... there has to be a line somewhere or else the player would cost double, triple, or even more than what they cost already. Again I think Oppo does a good job meeting the expectations of most consumers who are will to pay for a great universal player, and again, as we have said so many times before, just because it's a great player doesn't mean that it's a great fit for everyone. Everyone has to make that choice based on their own particular needs and wants.

I would like to see a FLOOD of improvements in the next Oppo device in terms of this list I just provided. These are not rocket science issues, but it does require a certain level of obsessive attention to detail. I don't think anyone in this thread would be opposed to any of those improvements/refinements. None of the suggestions that I named are technically impossible either.

If I had written off Oppo entirely, I wouldn't be writing all this...
Responses in red above.
bakerwi, audiofan1 and linger63 like this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #106 of 217 Old 02-08-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Responses in red above.

Great post Smarty,

Only a couple of things I can think of that may help Blazar a teeny bit.

With regards to load times it's not really the players' fault at all these days.
There is just so much extra stuff on a BD that needs to be pre loaded... scanned...etc
Considering all of that..........and how quickly it loads now .....INSTANT is asking a little much.

With regards to waiting for previews etc....I try hitting the "pop up menu" button as a lot of the time it takes you straight to the movies set up menu.

If that doesn't work I try hitting the "next chapter" button as this can sometimes let you skip previews like they are chapters till you get to the movie set up menu.

Cheers
post #107 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
niche products aimed at a very specific audience but that audience is not the general public. I think they do a very good job of meeting the requirements of that audience.
Ok so what are you and other Oppo player owners if not members of the general public? It is a blu-ray player a piece of consumer electronics isn't it.
post #108 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Umm, okayyyyy...
Can you please point out where I stated that people can't express their opinion??
"that doesn't mean that you should overwhelmingly denounce
their products"
Quote:
Do you not think it's possible, that people who have purchased an Oppo player are actually happy with the product and it's performance, and thus that is why so many claim it to be the best?
...or do you just think thousands of owners and industry experts are lying for no particular reason.
Yeah see that kind of response to any perceived criticism of Oppo is what struck me as odd. It is kind of like how dare anyone say its not great.
Quote:
Once again their players are not for everyone, and when that is true, any potential customer can simply choose not to buy one.
Its a blu-ray player presumably it is for anyone who whats a blu-ray player. Its additional features are selling points to people who want those additional features and pointless features to those who don't want them. And how well it works both in terms of ease of use and in terms of picutre and sound quality a matter of opinion of those who own the product or review the product and a matter of interest for those considering buying one. The idea that it is not for everyone is somewhat pretentious.
post #109 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
I recently sent back my OPPO BDP 105 and bought an Arcam BDP300, and the Arcam kills the OPPO in SQ and PQ. 2 channel especially. I mentioned this on an OPPO thread and a guy quoted a review where the reviewer tested an Oppo 83SE vs. an Arcam CD37 player and the reviewer preferred the Oppo. Now it`s all objective of coarse, until you have both in your system and do a A/B comparison and see for your self that although the OPPO is a fine player their is a lot better out there. What I learned from my experience is, you simply can`t trust reviews.

Oppo BDP 105 does alot of things the Arcam can`t do, but if your like me and you just care about SQ, PQ Arcam is so much better, and I haven`t experienced any electrical bugs, that many talk about with Arcam products.

The reason I am writing this is because when you read about OPPO products it almost seems like a no brainer, the reviews are so positive for Oppo there is no reason to try any other player. My experience says otherwise.
I like my Oppo but I prefer my Integra.

All these comments about Oppo SQ. If you are using the multichannel out on the BD player the sound is from the Oppo. If you are using HDMI or Optical/digital the sound is coming from the DACS in the receiver / processor yes??????????? People should clarify hook ups when commenting on sound quality. The problem may be the $399 AVR.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #110 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok so what are you and other Oppo player owners if not members of the general public? It is a blu-ray player a piece of consumer electronics isn't it.
Yes, but the Oppos are not directed at everyone in the general public but to a specific set of that public willing to pay more for players with specific features, build quality, and support. Many (most?) people in the general public have never even heard of Oppo. All products are targeted to specific parts of the public. Some companies try to market to the maximum number of people. Others go for specific subsets. Oppo belongs to this latter category.

post #111 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
"that doesn't mean that you should overwhelmingly denounce
their products"
Yep, the comment I posted was against a generalized statement that eluded to the player being a poor product for everyone,
and no one with any amount of reason or logic would actually believe that.
"I don't like the player." <- A valid opinion.
"Oppo players suck and aren't beneficial to anyone." <- Not a valid opinion.
You just have to use common sense to determine the difference.

Quote:
Yeah see that kind of response to any perceived criticism of Oppo is what struck me as odd. It is kind of like how dare anyone say its not great.
The only person here saying that is you. People are allowed to have an opinion one way or another.
Just as well, they are allowed to disagree without it necessary turning into a 'someone has to be right' argument.
I could very easily come back and say "how dare you say it's not great". ...or we could just agree to disagree.

Quote:
Its a blu-ray player presumably it is for anyone who whats a blu-ray player. Its additional features are selling points to people who want those additional features and pointless features to those who don't want them. And how well it works both in terms of ease of use and in terms of picutre and sound quality a matter of opinion of those who own the product or review the product and a matter of interest for those considering buying one. The idea that it is not for everyone is somewhat pretentious.
I agree with all of that except the last line.
Saying the player isn't for everyone is just a simple way of saying any given user may not need all of the features
in an Oppo player, and as such their needs may be fully met by a player costing much less.
It's not meant to be an insult, and labeling it as "pretentious' is a matter of perception, or misconception if you will.
There's no hidden meaning behind it. It's just again a way of saying all the things you stated above and more,
without having to write out a huge explanation over and over and over again to people who blatantly ask what is so great
about an Oppo player without reading anything about the player to begin with.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #112 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
I like my Oppo but I prefer my Integra.

All these comments about Oppo SQ. If you are using the multichannel out on the BD player the sound is from the Oppo. If you are using HDMI or Optical/digital the sound is coming from the DACS in the receiver / processor yes??????????? People should clarify hook ups when commenting on sound quality. The problem may be the $399 AVR.
I`m comparing 2 $1500 BD players. You think i`m plugging those into a $400 receiver? I`ve got that much into just the 2 interconnects. The truth is, you`ve all been suckered into spending too much money on an average Blu ray player!! And Integra sucks too!
post #113 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I am well aware of the rs232 port. It still requires extrenal drivers that cost another $100-150 and an integrator's bill which will be bigger.

All other mass market brands have drivers registered with control4 as an example. This isn't my personal "passion" but an expectation that MUST be met in the high end market who this company is catering to. It isn't even that much work or money to accomplish this, simply laziness on the part of the company.

Folks can apologize for them all they want but rack mount ears plus integration costing more than $400 is just crazy and will affect buying decisions.

The fact that a wishlist thread is needed for the product should speak volumes.

If i go give a technical lecture, I research all the pertinent issues and have answers for almost all conceivable questions the audience might ask. That is what smart people do.

I must question the talent of Oppo to continue if innovate if they can't use their market success to further make progress.

Is their rep checking the wishlist thread? I doubt it. In most cases, even the richest companies are not crowdsourcing cery effectively. It is one of the reason we don't have multi-artist and multi-genre tagging support in itunes despite 15 years of trying to get this sorting issue fixed.

Incompetence is the norm, not the exception. If oppo wants to be top dog, they must leave NO stone unturned.
post #114 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

They've made progress on every player they have made. The next player will undoubtedly do even more stuff and have more features. The current players just aren't where you want them to be. Others may feel differently. It all depends on what you want in a player. I didn't buy mine until I did a lot of research to make sure it had what I wanted.
bakerwi and audiofan1 like this.

post #115 of 217 Old 02-09-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I`m comparing 2 $1500 BD players. You think i`m plugging those into a $400 receiver? I`ve got that much into just the 2 interconnects. The truth is, you`ve all been suckered into spending too much money on an average Blu ray player!! And Integra sucks too!
Well you might think us Oppo player owners got suckered. But it might be you who got suckered into paying $400 for a pair of interconnects . What are the two $1500 Blu-Ray players you are looking at?

Bill

post #116 of 217 Old 02-10-2015, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA.
Now I see whats going on. You are running your jibs to get a reaction out of the Oppo loving AVS crew. Bravo. They will catch on and ignore you quickly. You are dealing with a lot of opinionated AV engineers here. By and large they are not morons. Im surprised you have received this much attention.

I did my research prior to purchase. You should try that next time. You may save a dollar or two.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #117 of 217 Old 02-10-2015, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Well you might think us Oppo player owners got suckered. But it might be you who got suckered into paying $400 for a pair of interconnects . What are the two $1500 Blu-Ray players you are looking at?

Bill
Transparent Audio check them out, they make quite a bit of difference.
post #118 of 217 Old 02-10-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Transparent Audio check them out, they make quite a bit of difference.
I'll pass. I'd rather spend the $400 on music that makes an actual "quite a bit of difference" . So I guess no word on the $1500 Blu-Ray players you are comparing .

Bill

post #119 of 217 Old 02-10-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am well aware of the rs232 port. It still requires extrenal drivers that cost another $100-150 and an integrator's bill which will be bigger.

All other mass market brands have drivers registered with control4 as an example. This isn't my personal "passion" but an expectation that MUST be met in the high end market who this company is catering to. It isn't even that much work or money to accomplish this, simply laziness on the part of the company.

Folks can apologize for them all they want but rack mount ears plus integration costing more than $400 is just crazy and will affect buying decisions.

If i go give a technical lecture, I research all the pertinent issues and have answers for almost all conceivable questions the audience might ask. That is what smart people do.

I must question the talent of Oppo to continue if innovate if they can't use their market success to further make progress.

Is their rep checking the wishlist thread? I doubt it. In most cases, even the richest companies are not crowdsourcing cery effectively. It is one of the reason we don't have multi-artist and multi-genre tagging support in itunes despite 15 years of trying to get this sorting issue fixed.

Incompetence is the norm, not the exception. If oppo wants to be top dog, they must leave NO stone unturned.
What other BD player offers custom drivers for IP protocol included in the price of their product?
Maybe possibly some products that literally cost 10 times more than an Oppo player, but no less.
If you want custom installation and everything that goes with it, you need to be ready to pay for it.
That is the cost of custom. Whether it's external control and remote systems, pro audio racks and mounts, etc...
The rack mount kits that Oppo sells for their players are less than $100, not more than $400.
If you need true custom installation that requires addition labor and hardware costs,
then again that is a cost you must bear for yourself. I'm not sure how you think a company that makes the BD player
you might use is responsible for your custom installation. That's just beyond silly.

The wishlist thread mainly consists of what actual Oppo consumers want the future products of Oppo to have.
New features they wish could be added and are willing to pay for those features.
Oppo is known for listening to their customers and accommodating when possible, and that is why the thread exists.
Otherwise it would be pointless to even have it, and the reason you don't see similar threads for other OEMs,
is because the other companies don't listen.

The rest of your comments are simply inflammatory remarks made to stir drama, so you can serve that to someone else.
TC...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #120 of 217 Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

What other BD player offers custom drivers for IP protocol included in the price of their product?
Maybe possibly some products that literally cost 10 times more than an Oppo player, but no less.
If you want custom installation and everything that goes with it, you need to be ready to pay for it.
That is the cost of custom. Whether it's external control and remote systems, pro audio racks and mounts, etc...
The rack mount kits that Oppo sells for their players are less than $100, not more than $400.
If you need true custom installation that requires addition labor and hardware costs,
then again that is a cost you must bear for yourself. I'm not sure how you think a company that makes the BD player
you might use is responsible for your custom installation. That's just beyond silly.

The wishlist thread mainly consists of what actual Oppo consumers want the future products of Oppo to have.
New features they wish could be added and are willing to pay for those features.
Oppo is known for listening to their customers and accommodating when possible, and that is why the thread exists.
Otherwise it would be pointless to even have it, and the reason you don't see similar threads for other OEMs,
is because the other companies don't listen.

The rest of your comments are simply inflammatory remarks made to stir drama, so you can serve that to someone else.
TC...
You better beleive I want to stir drama. I mean exactly what I say and I have no problem admitting it.

Oh wait EVERY "mainstream" manufacturer (denon group, onkyo group, yamaha group) has IP based control out of the box now. Shows what you know. Don't comment on things you are simply speculating about.

Rs232 is for the birds when IP based integration of everything is the direction consumer electronics is going.

So i guess you agree with Oppo that rack ears are worth $100 too. Two pieces of metal and a few screws...

I don't care how many engineers you have or how smart you think you are, building a successful product and keeping it successful is VERY difficult.

Ask the engineers at Nokia how smart they feel now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player