Blind tests for PS3 blu-ray vs high end? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
AVS,

I decided against going with the Oppo bandwagon and instead went with a high end $2000 NAD M56. But I want to dump it since I have a PS3 player and want to reduce devices but I don't know what I will be losing in terms of audio/video quality. Can people tell a difference?

I have studied blind tests for cables, power cords and power amps and all have shown results from chance which is what made me ask about this particular link in the chain

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Reduce power? The NAD uses a lot? I just recently discovered that my PS3 won't do 7.1 playback of 3d Blurays. Otherwise enjoy the PS3 quite a bit....and it plays my favorite driving game.

post #3 of 17 Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Reduce power? The NAD uses a lot? I just recently discovered that my PS3 won't do 7.1 playback of 3d Blurays. Otherwise enjoy the PS3 quite a bit....and it plays my favorite driving game.

Thanks lovin but my room doesn't support 7.1 anyways. My question was from a sonic quality and video quality standpoint. Can't find anything online
post #4 of 17 Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

Quote:

Thanks lovin but my room doesn't support 7.1 anyways. My question was from a sonic quality and video quality standpoint. Can't find anything online

From what I know the PS3 is highly rated as a BluRay player. It has certainly a better processor and memory than most in any case. I can't imagine spending more than the price of a PS3 on a BluRay player myself as I'm fairly certain I wouldn't or couldn't appreciate any possible differences in playback of discs. I have a decent 7.3 sound system and one of Samsung's better plasma panels for audio/video and have no issues with the player for either (except for that 3d playback thing which I actually hadn't noticed and hopefully will be addressed by a firmware fix eventually).

PS The title of the thread is great, blind testing of a BluRay player smile.gif

post #5 of 17 Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'd compare the two myself side by side but I don't think my projector can split screen using two hd sources. I'll have to go by memory
post #6 of 17 Old 03-09-2013, 09:37 PM

Liked: 14
I don't think people will notice a difference at all. You might notice a difference because its your setup but there are a lot of arguments out there about bluray players all sounding the same.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Wish I knew this before going hi end
post #8 of 17 Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
A major reason to go high end is for analog audio. For BluRay PQ, most people will not see any difference between players. For digitial AQ, same thing. But for analog AQ and ability to play all kinds of discs (SACD, DVD-A, etc), that's where the high end players shine.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
BillP is essentially correct. I can think of no compelling reason to go high end on a Blu-ray player at all. One player outputting the native 1080P signal off the disc should look indistinguishable from any other, unless, of course, you have some kind of video processing engaged within the player. Turn that stuff off and one player will look just like another.

Like BillP says the biggest differences in high end players tend to be their analog audio output stages. Here there may be an advantage if the player allows you more flexibility than your receiver/ preamp in configuring such things as bass management and speaker levels, etc. However fancy D/A converters have been shown to offer very little (if any) improvement to the sound over more basic sections in double blind tests. If you are using a digital connection for sound (hdmi) all of this is moot.

In short I would be much more inclined to choose a player based on feature set and reliability than supposed improvements in picture or sound.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a shortcoming of the PS3 I'd forgotten about as I don't own any, the slim versions don't support SACD but believe the original fat version did.

post #11 of 17 Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

BillP is essentially correct. I can think of no compelling reason to go high end on a Blu-ray player at all. One player outputting the native 1080P signal off the disc should look indistinguishable from any other, unless, of course, you have some kind of video processing engaged within the player. Turn that stuff off and one player will look just like another.

Like BillP says the biggest differences in high end players tend to be their analog audio output stages. Here there may be an advantage if the player allows you more flexibility than your receiver/ preamp in configuring such things as bass management and speaker levels, etc. However fancy D/A converters have been shown to offer very little (if any) improvement to the sound over more basic sections in double blind tests. If you are using a digital connection for sound (hdmi) all of this is moot.

In short I would be much more inclined to choose a player based on feature set and reliability than supposed improvements in picture or sound.
My only caveat to this is that people may want to consider a high end player to double as a player for serious CD/SACD listening (via analog outs).
post #12 of 17 Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A few differences:

1. The original PS3 will not bitstream.
2. PS3's are not HDMI 1.4 compatible.
3. The original PS3 is MUCH louder (fan noise) than a nice stand alone.
4. A high end BD player normally does a much better job upscaling DVD's (SD material).

Plus the other benefits that go along with a nice BD (universal) player (ex: DVD-A & SACD playback, analog audio, etc.).
post #13 of 17 Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

A few differences:

1. The original PS3 will not bitstream. Irrelevant, makes no difference to audio quality where the files are unpacked. The only difference is the little light on your receiver coming on. The PS3 probably has more CPU power for this process than any receiver ever produced so far anyway.
2. PS3's are not HDMI 1.4 compatible. But are capable of 3D. The only feature lacking being Dolby TrueHD during 3D playback.
3. The original PS3 is MUCH louder (fan noise) than a nice stand alone. Fan kicks on during intensive games like Uncharted 3, but not usually during Blu-ray playback.
4. A high end BD player normally does a much better job upscaling DVD's (SD material). OP was concerned about video/audio quality so likely isn't watching DVD's. Let's face it, all the upscaling in the world doesn't make DVD look like Blu-ray on a 60"+ setup. Most high-end receivers offer pretty high quality upscaling anyway. OT, but just how many upscalers do I need in my device chain for goodness sake? Seems like every device I buy has an upscaler, BD player, receiver, TV... and I don't use any of them

Plus the other benefits that go along with a nice BD (universal) player (ex: DVD-A & SACD playback, analog audio, etc.).
I agree with you on that part. I hope the PS4 does SACD so I won't have to spring for a universal player to play my SACDs. I won't have room to keep both a PS3 and PS4 hooked up unless the PS4 is considerably smaller than a phat PS3.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guys I decided to actually do a comparison myself between the PS3 and my $2000 Blu-ray player. I didn't test video because it wasn't apparently obvious since I don't have a switchbox. But I did test audio using Silent Hill as the source. I wasn't able to volume match so all I did was make sure the PS3 was much higher and even then, the NAD blew the PS3 away.

During the first encounter with the burning child, the child screams, on the NAD, it's dynamic as the DB shoots up and I have to head for the remote to turn it down. On the PS3 despite the volume being louder, the scream is flat as if dynamic volume was turned on (maybe it's a setting?) I don't hear a difference with raindrops and talking through that chapter. I was pleasantly surprised by the differences in audio quality between high end vs low end but kinda bummed that I'm getting rid of it.

I guess you can't really trust everybody's answer online. The difference was obvious.

Did someone say PS3 won't playback 7.1? I guess that means it won't playback NEO:X for true 11.1 encoded disks either.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Which PS3 do you have? My PS3 (slim) does do 7.1 DTS at all times, even for a 3D BluRay disc, but will not do TrueHD 7.1 and 3D simultaneously (been a while since I posted here, refined that discovery).. What 11.1 encoded discs? I have trouble finding 5.1 or 7.1 recordings (for music); from what I know 9ch and 11ch at this time are not from sources but rather matrixed from 5.1 or 7.1 sources but I really don't know as am not too interested at this time.

Volume matching isn't the same thing as gain matching on the inputs in any case.....there are dynamic range settings in the PS3, too (in the video menu, BD/DVD-Dynamic Range Control).

As to not having digital output and rather use a player's DAC with analog output, I think that's an exercise in futility for the most part....what receiver do you have?

post #16 of 17 Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Which PS3 do you have? My PS3 (slim) does do 7.1 DTS at all times, even for a 3D BluRay disc, but will not do TrueHD 7.1 and 3D simultaneously (been a while since I posted here, refined that discovery).. What 11.1 encoded discs? I have trouble finding 5.1 or 7.1 recordings (for music); from what I know 9ch and 11ch at this time are not from sources but rather matrixed from 5.1 or 7.1 sources but I really don't know as am not too interested at this time.

Volume matching isn't the same thing as gain matching on the inputs in any case.....there are dynamic range settings in the PS3, too (in the video menu, BD/DVD-Dynamic Range Control).

As to not having digital output and rather use a player's DAC with analog output, I think that's an exercise in futility for the most part....what receiver do you have?

Thanks for responding back and am actually happy to report that the PS3 was using Auto Dolby Volume control. I switched it off and the dynamics came back. Now I don't feel bad for selling it one bit lol. $2000 for what? Anyways, I currently have an Onkyo 3010 11 channel, XT32 and NEO:X. I just need a 7.1 disk that is encoded with the extra channels via NEO:X like Judge Dredd and the PS3 will play it back, hopefully in 3D.

The PS3 newer fat version says Linear PCM 7.1 192k, also has True HD and Master. Will this also not play in these formats in 3D with my version?
John4721 likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

The PS3 newer fat version says Linear PCM 7.1 192k, also has True HD and Master. Will this also not play in these formats in 3D with my version?

Which PS3 do you have? The newer version is the slim, the fat was before that...and they do have different capabilities in regards to bitstreaming/lossless codecs from what I know. DTS isn't a problem in 7.1 with 3D, but the slim can't handle the TrueHD 7.1 and 3D simultaneously....not sure about the fat, but less capable as far as I know.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Nad , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page