Built in overscan on Panasonic players that can not be disabled?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've discovered recently that my Panasonic BDT110 has some sort of built in overscan that I cannot turn off. I was zooming an open matte 4:3 DVD yesterday to create a faux 1.85 presentation (the correct OAR) and I discovered that all 4:3 DVDs are losing picture on the sides until I zoom them. See:

http://i.imgur.com/GVRYIcD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NPSQfqF.jpg

Overscan is off on my TV. Those are the exact same frames, yet when I am not zooming, the image is being cropped on the sides. If you measure the first image, the AR is about 1:29:1, when obviously it should be 1.33:1. I figure the BD player does this because it expects your TV to be overscanning as well. Since TV Overscan only affects the top and bottom of a 4:3 image, it will make a 1:29:1 image into 1.33:1. But that way I'm losing information on all 4 sides. I would much rather turn this feature off and be able to see the 1.33:1 image that is actually on the disc, but I cannot find any options relating to it in the set up menu or manual. My Panasonic BD65 does the same thing too.

Is there any way to turn it off, or perhaps a known brand of players that does not do this? Can anyone check to see if they experience the same thing? This only works with player zoom function, not TV zoom. I have tried turning off the upscaling and sending the DVD data to the TV as 576i (the native resolution of the disc) instead of 1080p but this makes no difference.

TV is Panny GT30 via Onkyo SR508 receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
In this particular forum, mods ask that all posts go in the official player thread. I have not seen or heard of any problems with built-in overscan.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1318879/official-panasonic-dmp-bdt110-210-310-owners-thread

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Actually there maybe be two issues:
1. loss of picture content on the sides - general overscan? maybe the top too, not certain without a test pattern and
2. change of AR of the active picture area (cropping even more on the sides, the pillar boxes too wide) - obviously happening, and without knowing about (1) would itself explain what you see.

Whether overscan, 1:1 or underscan, the AR of the active picture area should remain strictly 4:3 at each resolution as in my experience with my players, video processor and plasma.

Bypass the AVR and see what happens to narrow down the issue.

The other thing is with PAL DVDs (you use a Euro model player?), some aren't exactly 4:3, therefore a test pattern would be better for trouble shooting.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post

I've discovered recently that my Panasonic BDT110 has some sort of built in overscan that I cannot turn off. I was zooming an open matte 4:3 DVD yesterday to create a faux 1.85 presentation (the correct OAR) and I discovered that all 4:3 DVDs are losing picture on the sides until I zoom them. See:

http://i.imgur.com/GVRYIcD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NPSQfqF.jpg

Overscan is off on my TV. Those are the exact same frames, yet when I am not zooming, the image is being cropped on the sides. If you measure the first image, the AR is about 1:29:1, when obviously it should be 1.33:1. I figure the BD player does this because it expects your TV to be overscanning as well. Since TV Overscan only affects the top and bottom of a 4:3 image, it will make a 1:29:1 image into 1.33:1. But that way I'm losing information on all 4 sides. I would much rather turn this feature off and be able to see the 1.33:1 image that is actually on the disc, but I cannot find any options relating to it in the set up menu or manual. My Panasonic BD65 does the same thing too.

Is there any way to turn it off, or perhaps a known brand of players that does not do this? Can anyone check to see if they experience the same thing? This only works with player zoom function, not TV zoom. I have tried turning off the upscaling and sending the DVD data to the TV as 576i (the native resolution of the disc) instead of 1080p but this makes no difference.

TV is Panny GT30 via Onkyo SR508 receiver

are you going through your onkyo receiver?

I have that issue as well on my onkyo rc270. it overscan when using 24P. I am also using a panasonic HDTV.

on the tv: there is a setting to change to 2 instead of 1. try the setting "FULL".
on the player there should be letter/4:3/16x9. one of the 16x9 will set it to full and the other will be proper. its been a while since I had owned a panasonic player.

Jacob
post #5 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

I have 6 ways to play my DVDs. My two Panasonic BD players, my PS3, my XBox, my PC and a spare DVD player from elsewhere in the house. The first 3 are connected through my AV, the latter 3 are not. When I play a 4:3 DVD through any of the first 3, I get a cropped 1.29:1 image. When I use any of the latter 3, I get an uncropped 1.33:1 image that shows the missing information on the side. So obviously at this point I'm 99% sure it's the AV. I'd have bet my life on it.

But I just hooked up my BD player directly to the TV, bypassing the AV and it STILL gives me a 1.29:1 image! So it's just a coincidence that the 3 players that f*** with the image are connected through my AV?!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have 6 ways to play my DVDs. My two Panasonic BD players, my PS3, my XBox, my PC and a spare DVD player from elsewhere in the house. The first 3 are connected through my AV, the latter 3 are not. When I play a 4:3 DVD through any of the first 3, I get a cropped 1.29:1 image. When I use any of the latter 3, I get an uncropped 1.33:1 image that shows the missing information on the side. So obviously at this point I'm 99% sure it's the AV. I'd have bet my life on it.

But I just hooked up my BD player directly to the TV, bypassing the AV and it STILL gives me a 1.29:1 image! So it's just a coincidence that the 3 players that f*** with the image are connected through my AV?!

there is a setting on the panasonic tv to fix the overscan.
click on menu, then click on the first one.. like thx etc. stroll down to the third page.should be the top one. apsect. see if that is set to 1 or 2. you want 2 for 100 percent non overscan. 1 will be at 95 percent. use the setting full.

Jacob
post #7 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

There isn't, at least not as you describe. My menus do not resemble what you've said. There is "16:9 Ovescan" in the Advanced Set Up section; it is set to Off. It gives 100% "non-overscan" as my Spears and Munsil disc proves.

Regardless, this is clearly nothing to do with my TV as my Xbox 360, my PC, and my spare DVD player, all display 4:3 DVDs correctly when connected to my TV. My PS3 and two Panny BD players crop the sides. Whether any of the units are connected through my AV makes no difference at all.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

4:3 DVD through PS3, Panny BDs:

http://i.imgur.com/F9Vki38.jpg

4:3 DVD through Xbox 360/DVD player/PC:

http://i.imgur.com/FiL1V0A.jpg

To be clear, the AV is bypassed, and turning upscaling off makes no difference.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4:3 DVD through PS3, Panny BDs:

http://i.imgur.com/F9Vki38.jpg

4:3 DVD through Xbox 360/DVD player/PC:

http://i.imgur.com/FiL1V0A.jpg

To be clear, the AV is bypassed, and turning upscaling off makes no difference.

probably a setting in the blu ray that needs to be fixed.

Jacob
post #10 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

...you don't say tongue.gif

What I'd like to know is a) can it be fixed? b) if so, how?

If someone with a Panny BD player and a 4:3 DVD could replicate all this and see if they experience the same thing, that would at least allow me to know if a solution was even possible.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...you don't say tongue.gif

What I'd like to know is a) can it be fixed? b) if so, how?

If someone with a Panny BD player and a 4:3 DVD could replicate all this and see if they experience the same thing, that would at least allow me to know if a solution was even possible.

I have issues with overscanning with my onkyo receiver like I told you. you said that it was still happening when it was not going through the receiver. Its been a while since I owned a panasonic player. there was a setting for 16x9 for both full and normal. I think its the 3 or 4 option. try that.
on the ps3 there is a setting that should be letterbox/normal in the video settings.

Jacob
post #12 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I think I've tried everything to be honest. I just want someone else to tell me they have the same problem and nothing can be done about it.

16x9 FULL only stretches the image, it does not reveal the missing info. There are four scaling options on the PS3:

"Normal" is what I'm getting from the other players, i.e. a crop on the sides. "Double scale" crops the top and bottom in addition. "Full screen" stretches the image (and reveals the missing info, but said info disappears again when I squish back to 4:3 using the TV aspect ratio feature). "No upscaling" makes the image 480p/576i, but also stretches the image for some reason, but does not reveal any additional info. Turning off upscaling also does not help on the Pannys.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I've tried everything to be honest. I just want someone else to tell me they have the same problem and nothing can be done about it.

16x9 FULL only stretches the image, it does not reveal the missing info. There are four scaling options on the PS3:

"Normal" is what I'm getting from the other players, i.e. a crop on the sides. "Double scale" crops the top and bottom in addition. "Full screen" stretches the image (and reveals the missing info, but said info disappears again when I squish back to 4:3 using the TV aspect ratio feature). "No upscaling" makes the image 480p/576i, but also stretches the image for some reason, but does not reveal any additional info. Turning off upscaling also does not help on the Pannys.

I use full on my panasonic tv. have you tried using the 4:3 setting on the tv?
I remember having an odd look to the 4:3 image on my set. it could be other things not related to the set. tv uneven or something.
I notice the overscan when going through my receiver with the ghost in the shell 2.0 opening logo. it was missing the top and left side. when I turned off the video processor on the receiver then it was fine. I lost the on screen display from the receiver.
I have talked with both onkyo and panasonic. it was a rare problem, they were unable to help me fix it the long term problem. not many people reported it.
I dont know if there is a fix or not.
Jacob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bdt110 , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page