Is the BDP-103 for me ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Panasonic Blu-Ray player is getting real long in the tooth. It was a very highly rated Blu-ray player some five odd years ago. LOL But lately the time to load and play a Blu ray disc has become excessive and annoying. My system consists of a Marantz AV7005 processor, a Velodyne SPL1200R subwoofer, and Ascend Acoustic Sierra One bookshelf speakers in the front. I would probably never use any of the networking features. I am really not into that. But, I do care about the audio aspect. I looked at my local Costco and all the Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung players are in the $89-$99 range. Does the BDP 103 SOUND $400 better than the Costco offerings via HDMI? Also, would I be able to use the 103 in place of my current Marantz CD 5003 standalone player? Would it match the Marantz as far as SOUND quality for CD playback ? Standard CDs only. No high tech stuff. LOL Any help at all would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
IMO the oppo is the most convenient and reliable player on the market.

I specifically purchased the unit because Oppo provides consistent firmware updates> I owned a traditional market brand blu ray player (LG) and it had a very good video chip for amazing video images, unfortunatly market players stop getting firmware updates after 1 year, after 2 years of owning it... firmware updates became unavailable> I had to get the next model up in order to play any new bluray releases.

Oppo does updates via internet, I just click update and it's done. It's fast and convenient, and has the best load times under @ 20- sec avg> and I believe they help with bluray playability issues.

I would make you decision based on bluray playability in the long term.

The oppo is a stand alone CD player with 7.1 analog @ 192khz audio> this is one of the best DAC's out there and IMO mellower sounding than the previous 93 model I owned. If your receiver has 7.1 RCA inputs then plug the oppos 7.1 analog outputs into that.

* The 24bit 192khz analog audio is superior sounding for this price range @ under $400 (most decent 2 channel dacs cost at least twice this much like the Dac magic ~ which IMO sounds more brittle than the oppo's dacs.

Don't worry about CDs' just load them onto any external hard drive and the oppo will play most files back from it with no stuttering.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

IMO the oppo is the most convenient and reliable player on the market.

I specifically purchased the unit because Oppo provides consistent firmware updates> I owned a traditional market brand blu ray player (LG) and it had a very good video chip for amazing video images, unfortunatly market players stop getting firmware updates after 1 year, after 2 years of owning it... firmware updates became unavailable> I had to get the next model up in order to play any new bluray releases.

Oppo does updates via internet, I just click update and it's done. It's fast and convenient, and has the best load times under @ 20- sec avg> and I believe they help with bluray playability issues.

+1

Jacob
post #4 of 4 Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 204
you'll get more responses and opinions if you post in this thread >

http://www.avsforum.com/t/959985/official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page