Which region A player ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Please forgive the odd title - I am in search for a brand new bluray player that plays my large collection of region A dvds. I have lived two years with a Oppo 93 - this modded indeed played everything, but I am tired of this manual change of regions.

I just purchased the Sony 790 from my local Norwegian store. Just fantastic!

So -- an US player - pref the wonderful Sony 590, as I really need that 3D.

I also know that some Panasonic are very popular, but I need to find out/ get more advice on which " 3d modell" to get.

Any input on which model, and most important which store that ships internationally, i am very thankful for!
(I am quite experienced eBay shopper .....)

Ot:
These machines are 120v and 18 w. I also need a " power converter " with EU plug ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Check the Cambridge Audio 751BD. I have the US model and it has an "all region" setting. Requires no menu operations to play discs from various regions. May be the same for Europe?
post #3 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Re. Cambridge.
The 752 is at sale in Norway at 1200.- usd (nok 6998,-).
I see amazom.com sells the prev model 751 for 1149 usd.

I am sorry to say, thats way too expensive for me. And thats why I look at cheaper Japanese players from Sony and Panasonic.

Compared to my Oppo 93, I must admit that my Sony 790 is somewhat " cheapish" in construction, may not last that long. But I get three 790 for one Oppo - I really need to take in consedarition money spent wink.gif.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The CA 751 is not 'all regions' unless it's modded (similar to the Oppo). There is no mention of 'all region setting' in the manual and p.7 even makes it clear it can only play discs that correspond to the region label on the player.

Consider also the Pioneer players, the 140/440 or 150/450 can be made region free (or selectable) via firmware hack. These players are also dual 50i/60i and dual voltage. Details in the Pioneer threads here.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #5 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Youre kind of misunderstanding;

I am NOT seeking a new player per se!

I already have a Sony 790.
I already have a Oppo bdp 93 EU - which is modded "all regions"

I want to sell my Oppo - it is kind difficult to use for me.

So, I want to buy a new one from USA, not modded at all, just a plain vanilla region A bluray player.

The final result I want;

I will have TWO players
- my good "old" Sony 790 european version
- a brand new 3d capable super wifi Sony / Panasonic/ Pioneer USA version

I have lived with several modded players the past ten years, I dont want such anymore.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

No need to be so blunt, you asked which region A player in the title and now you're saying you are not seeking a new player. You didn't say explicitly you didn't another region free player before when the CA was suggested. In any case I don't see why a region hacked/modded player bought locally set permanently once (not every time) at region A can't be suitable. If you want to import, pay the shipping and duties and deal with voltage and plugs it's up to you.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mea culpa.

I withdraw. Thank you for kind advice!
post #8 of 16 Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

The CA 751 is not 'all regions' unless it's modded (similar to the Oppo). There is no mention of 'all region setting' in the manual and p.7 even makes it clear it can only play discs that correspond to the region label on the player.

Consider also the Pioneer players, the 140/440 or 150/450 can be made region free (or selectable) via firmware hack. These players are also dual 50i/60i and dual voltage. Details in the Pioneer threads here.

The region option is in the on the factory screen menu. I have used this on mine. No mods required.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Really? I'm interested. How to access the factory menu?

You are sure there's no mod inside and have tested and are sure it is region ABC for Blu-ray?

Did you get yours from 3rd party or official dealer?

This the first time I hear the CA is Blu-ray MR capable out of the factory or a BDP can be 'all regions' - normally they are region selectable with remote but not ABC all at once (I know the units sold in the UK are MR for DVD). Nobody ever mentioned Blu-ray MR before here or elsewhere. The 'MR' (or rather region selectable) units on Ebay have HW mod and DIY mod kits are also sold.

If no HW mod is indeed needed then it could also be the same with the Oppo. tongue.gif

post #10 of 16 Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 AM

Mine was purchased from an authorized dealer (in the USA) as that is where I live. He explained that all 751BDs have this in the setup menu. I have not had to make any change since purchase almost one year ago. I play region 1 and region 2 dvds and Blu Rays.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I still can't find this setting on the manual. I can believe the DVD RF can be set internally but the Blu-ray just sounds too good to be true. Can you pls take a picture of the menu showing this setting as it may give more clues?

post #12 of 16 Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I still can't find this setting on the manual. I can believe the DVD RF can be set internally but the Blu-ray just sounds too good to be true. Can you pls take a picture of the menu showing this setting as it may give more clues?

Check Page 19 of the owner's manual. That is how I found it when I got mine.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

P. 19 has: the 2nd half of BD-Live, Output resolution, TV system selection, Viewing pictures on DVD-Audio, Pure Audio mode, Shuffle

Are we on the same page?

post #14 of 16 Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:

P. 19 has: the 2nd half of BD-Live, Output resolution, TV system selection, Viewing pictures on DVD-Audio, Pure Audio mode, Shuffle

Are we on the same page?

System Selection:)
post #15 of 16 Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

TV system selection is not the same as region coding.

post #16 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:

TV system selection is not the same as region coding.

I can only tell you that I can play Region 1 and region 2 discs without going back into any menus. If you have access to a brick and mortar store with one of these players, have them demo.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page