Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 652 Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It's a little confusing but I think my TV does accept 4:4:4. I have a Samsung TV and from what I've read recently, if the player/PS3/etc. is outputting 4:2:2/RGB Limited the HDMI Black Level is greyed out on Samsung TV. If player/PS3 is outputting 4:4:4 or RGB Full the HDMI Black Level option becomes available and choices are Normal and Low. Normal is for 4:4:4 and Low is for 4:2:2, at least that's what I gathered from the articles. Anyone else know about this or have any insight?

Update: I just tried to change it but it was still greyed out. Is there any validity to the claim that the player/source has to be set to 1080p only to access it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 652 Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I couldn't get the HDMI Black Level to change regardless of what setting it was on. Watching Open Season on Blu-Ray with my son and it has Uncompressed 5.1 as the sound but my receiver is reading Dolby Digital. The Blu-Ray Player is outputting Dolby Digital Multi. Shouldn't it be PCM on the Receiver and Multi PCM on the Blu-Ray Player if the sound is Uncompressed 5.1? When I change the Blu-Ray Player to PCM it sounds weaker than the Receiver decoding the Dolby Digital Multi.

Also, I've noticed on the 230 that movies go straight to the menu screen. The same movie in PS3 will display previews if available. What setting do I have wrong?
post #273 of 652 Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone using the 230 with DLNA to play FLAC music?

I tried this last night with very disappointing results (latest firmware BTW). I have two DLNA servers running (Logitech Media Server for my Squeezebox Touch and Asset UPNP from the dbPoweramp folks). I tried playing FLAC files from both of these servers, and the player always hung up after starting to play a song. I tried a combination of standard CD rips and high def rips and got the same results. I couldn't stop, pause, return, etc. Only the Top Menu button would do much.

Are others seeing this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Mike
post #274 of 652 Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM

Liked: 10
Now I have a new problem with my 89 - problems streaming Youtube. It plays about 20 seconds of a music video then goes back about 10 seconds, plays another 20 then goes back 10, etc. It's on a wifi network but a laptop and an Android phone play fine over the wifi. I even took the phone over and stood next to the player and there was no problem. I have not tried Netflix or any other paid service. Also I downloaded Youtube Remote to the phone and paired it with the Panny.
post #275 of 652 Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

Anyone using the 230 with DLNA to play FLAC music?

I tried this last night with very disappointing results (latest firmware BTW). I have two DLNA servers running (Logitech Media Server for my Squeezebox Touch and Asset UPNP from the dbPoweramp folks). I tried playing FLAC files from both of these servers, and the player always hung up after starting to play a song. I tried a combination of standard CD rips and high def rips and got the same results. I couldn't stop, pause, return, etc. Only the Top Menu button would do much.

Are others seeing this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Mike
Best way I've found with Panasonic players is to use a USB drive with FLAC files. Haven't had any problems that way.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #276 of 652 Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokra View Post

An update on the dual HDMI-issue where you can get only 1080i when setting HDMI(SUB) to V.OFF. I finally was contacted by a very nice person on Panasonic's escalation team and was sent a beta-firmware update to try out (European version V1.29). This actually solves the 1080i instead of 1080p-issue, however when doing my long tests, another problem popped up with audio. For details just see my email to Panasonic. Would be interested to see if others have this problem as wel - i believe I noticed this on my earlier firmware 1.26 as well, but when video was only shown in 1080i this was the more pressing issue. Glad that one is solved now.

My email to Panasonic:

thank you very much for the firmware update-disc which arrived Saturday and which I tested today. The upgrade worked and my player got updated from 1.26 to 1.29 firmware version.

I set the HDMI(SUB)-output mode to "V.OFF (Video off)". I then popped in my "The Dark Knight Rises" Blu-ray and can confirm the video was now showing in 1080p24 where before it was only showing in 1080i60 with this setting. So SUCCESS for fixing the issue I described in my initial case! Thanks a lot.

Now comes the "but": An issue that remains and which I believe was also present in the 1.26 firmware version is that the audio in this setup (with HDMI(SUB) set to V.OFF) is somehow downgraded. In "normal" setting I get DTS HD MASTER 7.1 audio which my amplifier confirms on its display. However with V.OFF I only get standard DTS 5.1 (WITHOUT the MASTER HD).

I tried switching the HDMI-cables around and while doing this noticed that audio was still being transmitted over the HDMI(MAIN)-output although the manual and player menu say that with HDMI(SUB) set to V.OFF the HDMI(MAIN) would not transmit any audio-signal. I even got DTS HD MASTER 7.1 when only connecting to HDMI(MAIN) with this setup.

Same goes for 3D-Blu-rays. So essentially with this setup one cannot get the 7.1 audio from the system, probably due to the audio still coming out of HDMI(MAIN). The main reason for the two HDMI-outputs on the 330 for most people is that they have older amplifiers which cannot handle the 3D-video-signal. As such the player should output one clean video-only-signal on HDMI(MAIN) and one clean audio-only signal on HDMI(SUB) when the player is set-up that way. This way the video goes to the 3D-projector and the audio goes to the amplifier.

I hope I explained the remaining issue properly. It is good to see that Panasonic cares about its customers and that the firmware-update fixed the most glaring 1080i->1080p problem. Hopefully the audio-downgrading problem can be fixed as well. Let me know if you need more information, tests or clarifications. I believe the BDT-330 to be a very good Blu-ray-player and am glad to help.

Has Panasonic responded by any chance?
post #277 of 652 Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Best way I've found with Panasonic players is to use a USB drive with FLAC files. Haven't had any problems that way.

S~

That did work much better, but still has some issues. I don't think the 230 is really all that usable for network or USB music.

I wonder if there will be a firmware update to deal with these problems?

Mike
post #278 of 652 Old 08-02-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebasol1 View Post

Has Panasonic responded by any chance?

Yes, they replied: " I'm glad to hear that the disc was able to resolve the picture issue you outlined. In regards to your audio issue, I have sent your feedback to our Quality Standards Team so that they can liaise with the relevant department. As soon as I have a reply from them I will of course let you know. "

Will let the forum know of further developments.
post #279 of 652 Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

I think I fixed my issue with crushing of the blacks on Normal Pic Setting on 230. I had my Black Tone on DARK with my TV for PS3 and forgot to turn it OFF when watching Blu-Ray. Fixed it and no black crush.
There's been a few movies that skip right to the menu on 230 but same movie plays previews on my PS3. What setting am I missing?
post #280 of 652 Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 PM

I'm new here and new to HT. Looking for advice.

I'm thinking of getting the DMP-BDT230. I plan to have other devices (AppleTV, Roku) for streaming services, so I really am only concerned about CD audio quality and DVD/Blu-ray picture quality, both 2D and 3D. And I like the price.

I plan to use it with a Denon AVR-1713 and an Epson 3020e projector (which I haven't bought either yet).

Are you happy with the 230? Should I be considering something else, given my priorities and planned system?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
post #281 of 652 Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Im a big fan of Panasonic, but you may consider the Sony 5100 over a 230. Panasonic went to a new chipset this year and it hasnt gone quite as smoothly as you'd hope. That being said, the 230 is a nice player and will have great PQ.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #282 of 652 Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Thanks. And, excuse my ignorance, but Blu-ray player descriptions online tend to only discuss video. I'm hoping to use one device to play all discs - Blu-ray, DVD, and CDs - including, say, DTS 5.1 music DVDs. Perhaps other formats that I'm not savvy enough to even ask about.

Am I giving up anything in terms of music quality, video quality (2D and 3D), and format compatibility by choosing such budget players?

Again, I'm not too concerned about various streaming services because I'll use other devices for that. Disc playing is my primary concern (unless someone suggests I consider something else).
post #283 of 652 Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you using HDMI for audio?

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
post #284 of 652 Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Yes. Why do you ask?

I was told in another thread that, if I want to play SACDs, I should choose a Sony (otherwise the Panny is a good choice).

I'm not familiar enough with all the possible formats to know that.

If I got the Sony BDP-S5100, are there any audio or video formats I would not be able to play?

I'm leaving that as broad as possible, just to help me understand. Thanks.
post #285 of 652 Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Shouldn't I be using HDMI?
post #286 of 652 Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseAnimal View Post

Yes. Why do you ask?

I was told in another thread that, if I want to play SACDs, I should choose a Sony (otherwise the Panny is a good choice).

I'm not familiar enough with all the possible formats to know that.

If I got the Sony BDP-S5100, are there any audio or video formats I would not be able to play?

I'm leaving that as broad as possible, just to help me understand. Thanks.

Neither will support DVD-A. Sony will support SACD.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #287 of 652 Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

My question on HDMI was for your audio concerns. No quality in sound would be lost or gained between a Panasonic or Sony with HDMI out sound.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
post #288 of 652 Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Can I use a Kindle Fire HD through the 230 to project on my screen(projector setup)?

post #289 of 652 Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Neither will support DVD-A. Sony will support SACD.

S~

And what would I be missing out on by not having DVD-A? Pardon my ignorance!

Is there a player less expensive than a $500 Oppo that would support all those formats?

Thanks!
post #290 of 652 Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 PM

Thanks, gadgtfreek.
post #291 of 652 Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 AM

Recieved mine Yesterday (BDT-230). Excellent Audio and Video performance on BD discs, but I cannot play .mkv files thru LAN... Thinking about return it

Is there any BD player with this Audio video features and quality on BD discs that allows mkv through LAN (in this pice range (Not Oppos))?

Edit:

Solved, I just had to add manually the network shared folders with the IP. Now the player support mkv files natively: BDRemux, BD folders, DTS-HD MA and everything smile.gif
post #292 of 652 Old 08-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golon32 View Post

Recieved mine Yesterday (BDT-230). Excellent Audio and Video performance on BD discs, but I cannot play .mkv files thru LAN... Thinking about return it

Is there any BD player with this Audio video features and quality on BD discs that allows mkv through LAN (in this pice range (Not Oppos))?

Edit:

Solved, I just had to add manually the network shared folders with the IP. Now the player support mkv files natively: BDRemux, BD folders, DTS-HD MA and everything smile.gif

If possible could you please provide me instructions to do this. I have Window 7 Home premium and I want to share my folder through LAN. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Minesh
post #293 of 652 Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minesh View Post

If possible could you please provide me instructions to do this. I have Window 7 Home premium and I want to share my folder through LAN. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In my case, I used a separate WD hard drive that is LAN enabled. Through it's web interface screen (http:\\192.168.1.11 or something like it - the instruction is included with the drive- to give you access to set it up), I got its IP address, which is 192.168.1.11, and it's given name is PUBLIC. I entered both these info into the Panny network setup screen, once it is recognized, up pop a file structure with folders that you can click to open. Granted, this screen look barebone, almost like an old DOS screen, but those files that the player can recognized will play flawlessly, including it's DTS or AC5.1 soundtracks. Good luck!
post #294 of 652 Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeful99 View Post

In my case, I used a separate WD hard drive that is LAN enabled. Through it's web interface screen (http:\\192.168.1.11 or something like it - the instruction is included with the drive- to give you access to set it up), I got its IP address, which is 192.168.1.11, and it's given name is PUBLIC. I entered both these info into the Panny network setup screen, once it is recognized, up pop a file structure with folders that you can click to open. Granted, this screen look barebone, almost like an old DOS screen, but those files that the player can recognized will play flawlessly, including it's DTS or AC5.1 soundtracks. Good luck!

Thank you very much for information. I don't have LAN enabled drive. I want to share folder from my PC to BDT230.

Minesh
post #295 of 652 Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM

Just noticed that Panasonic has released a new firmware for all regions:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/

This should fix the HDMI-SUB 1080i-issue and more, according to Panasonic:
Quote:
Network Service compatibility
DLNA compatibility
HDMI compatibility
post #296 of 652 Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokra View Post

Just noticed that Panasonic has released a new firmware for all regions:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/

This should fix the HDMI-SUB 1080i-issue and more, according to Panasonic:
When today?
post #297 of 652 Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

That does seem to work better. DLNA seems more stable, but they still don't do gapless playback.

Mike
post #298 of 652 Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

And playing photos and videos from network drive seems to be working very well. I played several short videos shot on my phone and then played back several slideshows taken on my Nikon (very large files, which cause real problems with many renderers) and they worked like a charm.

No hang ups so far, which happened a lot with the old firmware.

If they supported gapless playback I would be completely happy. (Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 96/24, but with 1 second gaps between tracks, is not the best way to listen to it.)

Mike
post #299 of 652 Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM

If you'd told me that Bluray playback through a stand-alone player would look better than through the BD drive on my computer and Total Media Theater 6, I'd have called you crazy.

But I bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT230 and plugged it into my 24" 1080p Samsung monitor and I was impressed! It looked great! (can't wait to watch it on my VT60 biggrin.gif)

I was surprised that I had to go into the Bluray player and change the SPDIF audio from bitstream to PCM - else all the supplemental audio tracks would play (the audio for blind people, the commentary tracks and a soundtrack only track) but the main audio for the movie wouldn't. I was using a Klipsch Icon SB1 via SPDIF.

What does that mean? Do I want Bitstream or PCM? I was using the non-3D Bluray of Oblivion where the main audio is DTS-HD Master Audio.
post #300 of 652 Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

The Klipsch won't handle DTS audio which is one reason you needed to select PCM. I take it you have your BD running into the TV and audio out of the TV to the soundbar. Most TVs will only pass 2 channel audio out from an external HDMI source over HDMI. Same setup with the VT60?

S~

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd79 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd89 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt230 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt330 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page