Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 658 Old 12-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I received a BDT330 today for Christmas and I am having some issues with getting Netflix to output 5.1.

For whatever reason it is only sending a Stereo signal to my receiver (Denon X-2000) when using onlien streaming (netflix, etc). I popped in a couple of different bluray disks and they all played with their normal outputs (DTS-HD/Dolby True HD, etc) however as soon as I switch to a streaming service it no longer outputs anything but stereo. I am using the Main HDMI outlet only, sending both audio and video to the receiver with a single cable. I am connected to a wired network and confirmed 50Mbs at that port so it does not appear to be a network issue.

I have confirmed in the audio settings that it is set to bit steam and have tried with both secondary audio on and off with no luck.

I am coming from an old PS3 80Gb that worked flawlessly as a BD player and with Netflix and Amazon so this is a bit of a bummer to say the least.

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 658 Old 12-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Are you sure the title is available in 5.1? Not all titles are.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #453 of 658 Old 12-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Yeah this is on a 5.1 "superhd" enabled series (Torchwood), I watched a couple of episodes yesterday with the PS3 and it was sending 5.1 surround (Multi-channel PCM) with no issues. Per my Denon the 330 is sending a 2 channel stereo signal when using Netflix. I checked a few other titles as well that I knew to be 5.1, (The Avengers, Beowolf) and no dice.

Not really sure what is up with it, as it plays BD movies with no issues.
post #454 of 658 Old 12-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'll check them out tomorrow and get back.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #455 of 658 Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

According to this neither is available with 5.1 audio. Season 2 of Torchwood is, but not 1.

The Avengers:

http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/search.php?search=the+avengers&serv=Netflix&type=&Prime=1

Torchwood:

http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/search.php?search=torchwood&Submit1=Search&serv=Netflix&type=&Prime=1&genre=&sort=%2F

S~

post #456 of 658 Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacrobmer View Post

Yeah this is on a 5.1 "superhd" enabled series (Torchwood), I watched a couple of episodes yesterday with the PS3 and it was sending 5.1 surround (Multi-channel PCM) with no issues. Per my Denon the 330 is sending a 2 channel stereo signal when using Netflix. I checked a few other titles as well that I knew to be 5.1, (The Avengers, Beowolf) and no dice.

Not really sure what is up with it, as it plays BD movies with no issues.
OK. I went into NF. As I stated last night, Avengers is only available in stereo. Go into audio and subtitles. Torchwood starts using DD+ 5.1 audio in Season 4. Also verified on my Sony.

S~

post #457 of 658 Old 12-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I just got the 230 in for testing, and with the latest firmware, just ignore the HDMI Format setting (YCbCr 4:2:2, 4:4:4 RGB Standard and Enhanced). No matter what option you pick, it will only output YCbCr 4:4:4. I'll get to more testing of the video processing tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on how much time I have. That is, if my test discs will load.
Was this resolved? What are the recommended settings for a 230 feeding a Pana P60ST60 and Denon AVR-1911 (which can handle all lossless and lossy audio)?
post #458 of 658 Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post

Was this resolved? What are the recommended settings for a 230 feeding a Pana P60ST60 and Denon AVR-1911 (which can handle all lossless and lossy audio)?
I'm not sure. It had to go back to them. I don't know if anyone else tested it enough to see if it does it correctly now.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #459 of 658 Old 12-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure. It had to go back to them. I don't know if anyone else tested it enough to see if it does it correctly now.
Assuming it is working correctly, what would be the preferred setting?
post #460 of 658 Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

According to this neither is available with 5.1 audio. Season 2 of Torchwood is, but not 1.

The Avengers:

http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/search.php?search=the+avengers&serv=Netflix&type=&Prime=1

Torchwood:

http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/search.php?search=torchwood&Submit1=Search&serv=Netflix&type=&Prime=1&genre=&sort=%2F

S~

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

OK. I went into NF. As I stated last night, Avengers is only available in stereo. Go into audio and subtitles. Torchwood starts using DD+ 5.1 audio in Season 4. Also verified on my Sony.

S~

I am looking at The Avengers right now played through my PS3 and it is Dolby Digital+. You are correct about Torchwood and NF though, I had forgot that I had been watching it through Amazon Instant video, where all seasons are being fed 5.1.

I was not getting any 5.1 through Amazon either, the PQ was off as well.

That being said, I have since boxed the BDT330 back up and returned it. I went and picked up a new PS3 Super Slim 12Gb and all is well.

The BDT 330 is a great BD player, the PQ is good, load times are quick and I like the interface. If I need a stand alone bluray player in the future I would pick up another in a heart beat, however, I watch as much streaming services as I do blurays, and if I would have kept the BDT330 it would have meant picking up another device for streaming.

Thanks for the help!
post #461 of 658 Old 12-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Yeap. Panasonic doesn't support 5.1 audio on Amazon, only Netflix, VUDU.

S~

post #462 of 658 Old 12-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Hi
Purchased a panasonic 230 specifically to access ultraviolet content but can't get the Cinema Now app to work. I can watch previews. The player is registered on the Cinema now web site, but I can't see my library. I get an error message every time. Called customer service at Cinema now, but they couldn't help. Any ideas would be appreciated. This unit will be going back shortly.
Thanks

error message is 550-1.96 and sometimes 2012-6.128
post #463 of 658 Old 12-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Assuming it is working correctly, what would be the preferred setting?

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation. The correct setting varries from TV to TV, and you need a copy of Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark, Version 2 to really be able to tell. Since I have a VT60 I can say that 4:2:2 works fine, and 4:4:4 works as well if you enable 1080p Pure Direct mode. If that mode is disabled then you lose some chroma resolution as the VT60 does some internal processing on it. I'm not certain about the ST60, though.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #464 of 658 Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation. The correct setting varries from TV to TV, and you need a copy of Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark, Version 2 to really be able to tell. Since I have a VT60 I can say that 4:2:2 works fine, and 4:4:4 works as well if you enable 1080p Pure Direct mode. If that mode is disabled then you lose some chroma resolution as the VT60 does some internal processing on it. I'm not certain about the ST60, though.
Thank you for this info; however, working from memory and looking through the OM online, aside from selecting 24p output (on or off), I see no mention of "1080p Pure Direct mode." What am I missing?
post #465 of 658 Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for this info; however, working from memory and looking through the OM online, aside from selecting 24p output (on or off), I see no mention of "1080p Pure Direct mode." What am I missing?
Nevermind, I figured it out -- 1080p Pure Direct mode is a setting on the VT60, not the 230.
post #466 of 658 Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Anyone have issues with Elysium? I played it last night on my 230 and got continual video cut outs that seemed to get worse on action scenes. By cut outs I mean the audio played normally while the screen went black for several seconds up to a minute.

In the end we could only see about 1/2 of the movie (sounded like it would be worth watching, if we could see it). I played around with a number of controls, but nothing seemed to make any difference.

I have the latest firmware on my 230. The HDMI output goes to a Denon AVR-4520CI and then a Panasonic PT-AE8000.

Thanks,
Mike
post #467 of 658 Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

Anyone have issues with Elysium? I played it last night on my 230 and got continual video cut outs that seemed to get worse on action scenes. By cut outs I mean the audio played normally while the screen went black for several seconds up to a minute.

In the end we could only see about 1/2 of the movie (sounded like it would be worth watching, if we could see it). I played around with a number of controls, but nothing seemed to make any difference.

I have the latest firmware on my 230. The HDMI output goes to a Denon AVR-4520CI and then a Panasonic PT-AE8000.

Thanks,
Mike

Ha! I thought I was along. I posted this same exact problem playing the same disc on the 2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP thread. Cutouts were so bad I coudln't stand to watch the 2nd half of the movie. I have 2 older DMP-BDT220 units and I swapped cables and players to try eliminating what would cause this.

Summary of my investigations. Different cables from other know working TVs had no effect. Bad cable ruled out. Swapping the BDT220 for the 230 solved problem and I was able to watch the entire Elysium Blu-Ray with 0 cutouts. This is my second BDT230 as I originally had severe cutouts watching Grown-Ups 2 on blu-ray. Thought the problem was solved with the second unit (returned original and bought another new unit) until I rented Elysium.

Now here's the kicker for me. The Elysium disc plays cut-out free when hooked up to my 2 alternate TVs which are 55" Panny Plasmas (55ST-30s)! Does that make sense. Didn't make sense to Panny tech support either. After an hour of troubleshooting and explaining what occurred the tech said there must be some type of incompatibility on the newer 230 player but he had no clue as to what? So now I'm in a quandry of what to do with the second unit. If I hang onto it this may happen again with a future Blu-Ray and I have no clue why it plays most fine then gets cut-outs on occasional discs like Grown-Ups 2 and Elysium? Mayble those discs have some type of new encoding on them?

Last note. I provisioned the options on the old 220 and 230 EXACTLY THE SAME as to rule out any player options causing the cut-outs. In addition to that I then started random combinations of video options with the same results. 230 kept cutting out as long as it was hooked up to my 2010 Mits DLP (82")
post #468 of 658 Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Pro. That makes me feel better. I'll contact Panasonic support and get them to open a case on it. There must be something unique in the Elysium BD. Legal, but something few other disks have ever used probably.

Mike
post #469 of 658 Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Being an HTPC fan, I have always avoided discs like the plague. But when the HTPC is down or doing something else, I do use my Blu-ray player, which up until now was an older Samsung that played everything great through the USB port. That is, except DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD.

So I grabbed a new Panasonic DMP-BD230T because the price was so juicy and I want to transition to 3D eventually. To my complete surprise, I can play lossless Blu-ray rips from the USB port to my portable hard drive!!!

When did this happen? Because it certainly wasn't available when I bought the Samsung in 2009.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #470 of 658 Old 01-05-2014, 04:36 PM

Hi, i got 330 few days ago. Happy with the bluray player part, not testet 3D yet. Netflix seems good, but can't find a dns that be used to get american (anyone got any tips there?).

But to my question/issue (have searched), my bdt is behind doors, so would be really nice to have some ok working smartphone app to be able to play/pause. Anyone heard of app for 2013 models coming soon, or an unofficial that works?
post #471 of 658 Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4 View Post

I just bought a Panasonic BDT-330 and configured it to pass audio only over the HDMI (Sub) by setting V.OFF. The HDMI Audio Output setting is ON. The video works just fine on my 3D TV but I cannot get my Pioneer VSX01 AVR to play the audio. I tried the BD input, no dice. I configured the DVD input on the AVR to use HDMI 1 and 2 and tried those as well. No dice, either. Any ideas? Anyone have any luck getting non HDMI 1.4 Pioneer AVR's to work this way?

Quote:

Well I spoke to soon, it still does not work with any disc that has 3D content. After posting my earlier remarks I noticed the disk I used was a 2D. Play a 2D disk and it works as advertised, no HDMI sync issues, HD audio to the AVR and a nice crisp picture. Insert a disk with 3D content and the fun begins. First HDMI sync issues start after spin up and the initial read. The 330's display flashes HDMI and I can see the AVR's HDMI indicator blipping on/off. The same with the TV, the video stutters, TV goes black, then back on, eventually all devices sync up. The video Intro stutters. When the movies menu appears Press Play and the video has horrible stutter and no audio to the AVR. I tried several 3D titles, all with the same result. Several lockups that required unplugging the player and restarting. I've tried different combinations of HDMI settings, none work with 3D content. I've successfully played 3D content with my Sony S580 with the same gear, sans the HD audio. Do these symptoms appear to be configuration related?

Quote:

I sent an email to Panasonic support yesterday and received a reply this morning. Not very encouraging, looks like the same person who wrote the manual works in support, too. I'll think I'll just return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridan View Post

My DMP330 that I just purchased last Friday works with 2D Blurays, but not with 3D. Pioneer Elite VSX92TXH HDMI input1 Directv(HDMI output on receiver connected to Panasonic VT60HDMI1). VSX92 HDMI input2 connected to DMP330 Sub output(Video off orange led showing it's correctly connected). Panasonic VT60 has HDMI1 Directv, and HDMI2 connected to DMP330 HDMI AV Out Main(with HDMI audio off in audio menu of DMP330). This setup works with 2D, but 3D pic juddery with no audio. The fix is to unplug the HDMI output on my VSX92 going to the VT60. Once I do that 3D works fine, but I don't have to unplug output when watching 2D.

I'm having the exact same problem with my Pioneer AVR. This is pretty ridiculous as the dual HDMI seems to be a popular reason to buy this player.

Has anyone heard from Panasonic or found a fix?

The one mridan posted hasn't worked for me yet.

Thanks

post #472 of 658 Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 PM

I have the Panasonic dmp-bdt230 model and I just tried to play my fistful of dollars bluray and I get no picture or sound from the disc. same with my for a few dollars more bluray the movies are playing but theres no picture or sound. I've played other movies and they all worked fine until now. How can I fix this? I really wanted to watch these tonight. Grrrr..... My good the bad and the Ugly bluray works fine btw.
post #473 of 658 Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Watching the 'Aliens' anthology and the films themselves look great. However, before the movies start, there's a 30 sec. introduction by the director on each of the films. The audio is fine, but the video shows odd color bars/patterns.
post #474 of 658 Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Liked: 11

Hi,

When I tried to surf foreign web site display is all  garbled.  Please  any one knows how

to fix this issue? Like if I go to Japanese web site, I should read the contents in Japanese.

I read user manual over and over but I am not really sure how to deal with this issue.

If it were IE or Chrome it's matter of adding extra languages in set up. Any one?

post #475 of 658 Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 PM

I'm thinking of getting the DMP-BDT230 unit at my local Costco.
Anyone having any regrets on buying their DMP-BDT230?
Or wished they had bought a difference player for some feature the BDT230 did not have?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
post #476 of 658 Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

Or wished they had bought a difference player for some feature the BDT230 did not have?
That's if you are not worry about 3D
post #477 of 658 Old 01-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Huh?

S~

post #478 of 658 Old 01-13-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:

It's a fine disc player with all the major streaming apps. But Hulu sucks on it, as do the paltry number of file types you can stream. So keep that in mind. Personally, I think similarly priced Sony players do a lot more for the money. If you don't care about those two caveats, then go for it.

Maybe Chise is talking about 2D to 3D conversion. Well, to be honest, 3D sucks on every player and 2D-3D conversion sucks even more. I don't think Panny is any worse than anyone else in this regard.

post #479 of 658 Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Do not have a 3D screen or 3D Blu-ray disks, so I guess I have not caught the "3D bug" yet.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
post #480 of 658 Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do not have a 3D screen or 3D Blu-ray disks, so I guess I have not caught the "3D bug" yet.
When you do, you'll find the 230 works very well with 3D disks too.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd79 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd89 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt230 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt330 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page