Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013 - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 653 Old 03-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Sage,

The Panasonic 330 would allow you to decode in the player and send the Lossless audio to your receiver as there are two HDMI outs. Run HDMI 1 to your TV, Run HDMI 2 to your receiver, set the audio to PCM.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 653 Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Sage,

The Panasonic 330 would allow you to decode in the player and send the Lossless audio to your receiver as there are two HDMI outs. Run HDMI 1 to your TV, Run HDMI 2 to your receiver, set the audio to PCM.

S~

Not concerned about lossless. If Dolby and DTS techs can't tell the difference in a sound isolated room with $20,000 speakers I sure as hell am not going to notice in my basement on my cheap amp and 15 year old Cambridge bookshelves! smile.gif

If the 330 was cost competitive I would consider-- but considering it offers very little over the 230 and is substantially more ($65 bucks at the time I write this) I'll pass. It's a shame -- best buy was supposed to give me a free 330 when I bought my vt60 (promotion) but they were sold out and the small print said "while supplies last". When I pressed the issue they told me to go fish.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #573 of 653 Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
No problem. Just laying out all of the options. We are at the end of the life cycle, so prices should drop considerably.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #574 of 653 Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi,

Is the language menu has an effect on browser? When I tried/hoped to read foreign language on web pages,

it appears to have no effect. It does not look like language display option on normal browsers, IE, Fire Fox, etc.

Any one knows?

post #575 of 653 Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

More concerning than the shoddy build quality is the fact the sony won't decode Dolby except to 2.0 PCM. This is a concern as my receiver, while accepting hdmi, does NOT pass through 3d which means I have to run toslink and either decode at the player or send the bitstream to my onkyo for decoding. In the sony there is no way to force bitstream. I've yet to test myself but after reading through a good deal of the sony thread it sounds like this will affect me.

As for the panasonic, while it's not as fancy to look at the unit feels much better put together-- it's actually made of metal not translucent plastic! This perception of quality extends down to it's operation as well: the unit isn't as noisy or as nervous when playing back blurays and the disc tray and buttons don't feel as if they're going to snap off easily. The panny does make some loud 'disc drive' noises when loading a movie or skipping a chapter but these are familiar sounds (my oppo and samsung 2500 make similar noises) and I'll take them over the thrumming whine of the sony.

I've paired my BDT-230 with a sound bar without any 3D pass-through capabilities via toslink; sounds great, and I find I don't miss a lossless decoding solution, which I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be able to distinguish from lossy tracks on my system anyway. The 230 has ably dowmixed every HD audio track I've thrown at it to 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS, respectively. I did have an audio sync issue initially, but it was completely eliminated by SONY's audio sync feature (in the sound bar).

I also appreciate the build quality of the Panasonic. I haven't held one in hand, but I was leery of the plastic sheen of SONY's 5100 in pictures; CNET also commented that the drive door of their test model threatened to fall off repeatedly. Disconcerting.

I have had a bit of metal on metal vibration with some Blu-rays in the Panasonic as the outer metal shell makes contact with the frame. It's not the interior components, and my fix has been to paper-weight it. Quieted it right down.

The only wireless I've done so far were 2 firmware updates, both seamless.

So far, the 230's as strong a performer with disc media as the 220--a terrific unit--despite the slightly pared down picture adjustments from the earlier model.
post #576 of 653 Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Liked: 10
I went back and read a few pages and didn't see the answers to my questions. This for the 230
1) Exactly when are ads displayed?
2) What type of ads are they? (are they just a panel ad in a corner? a non skip-able video with audio?)
2b) What are the ads for?
3) Which ads can be turned off? How?

Thanks,

Brian
post #577 of 653 Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

I went back and read a few pages and didn't see the answers to my questions. This for the 230
1) Exactly when are ads displayed?
2) What type of ads are they? (are they just a panel ad in a corner? a non skip-able video with audio?)
2b) What are the ads for?
3) Which ads can be turned off? How?

Thanks,

Brian

Adds are displayed when you're browsing the network services (your apps). You get a banner or two at the top and there are 'featured' services taking the place of unused app squares. There are no YouTube-like unskippable video ads. I haven't even attempted to turn them off because-- who cares?

Let's put it this way: if you buy an xbox 360 ($200 street) or xbox one ($400 street) and PAY for xbox live ($60/year) you get flooded with advertising every time you log in to your system. Yet, I don't see an active thread over in the xbox forum complaining about all the ads you're essentially paying to have pushed into your home. Similarly with the ps3, everyone's favorite bluray player, ads just show up depending on what menu you're on. Look, I hate ads just as much as the next guy-- in fact, I probably hate them more! It's the reason I cancelled cable years ago: why pay to be advertised to? But really, the ads on the panasonic are way overblown. If you've surfed the web in the last decade you're probably so desensitized you won 'to even notice them. I barely did.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #578 of 653 Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What ads? No idea what you are talking about.

OK: Sage has addressed this (while I was typing). Never mind.

Mike
post #579 of 653 Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM

I just bought my BDT-330 and am getting used to it so far, before I was just using a fat ps3. Anyways, on Netflix I can't figure out how to display the bitstream its playing at and to see if its in HD, Super HD, etc while its playing. On the PS3 and almost every device I've used you can pull up this info while watching, but I've tried every button on the 330 and can't figure out how to have this info displayed. Anybody know how, or if it isn't even possible on this player which would be very stupid. Thanks.
post #580 of 653 Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post

Have anyone able to get Miracast working with Dell Venue 8 Pro?

Anyone? I have read many reviews on the player. Some say Miracast only works with Nexus 4. But I see a video with Galaxy S4 miracast working with a non-US model. Is there firmware fix? Does it work with Windows 8.1 Miracast?
post #581 of 653 Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

It does NOT work with Windows 8.1 Miracast. You get to the point where it tries to authenticate, and Windows tells you to press the button the player, but the player doesn't have a button.

Mike
post #582 of 653 Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I see. I wonder if there is a software workaround on Windows that can fix that? How would the Android get around with the problem then?
post #583 of 653 Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Purely guessing, but I would think that the Miracast handshake includes some bits to say how to authenticate (button, passcode, etc.) Most likely the Panasonic isn't sending what Windows expects, so Windows tells you to press a button that the Panasonic doesn't have. Guessing further, probably both software teams think they are doing the right thing, based on an ambiguous specification.

But I could be wrong.

Mike
post #584 of 653 Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you are right. I watched the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYRikon6LDw

At 0:16 It has a screen that says "Home screen will appear after 1 minute without any operation". Which I found rather odd. Why 1 minute? Shouldn't something like mirroring display happens as soon as it is ready?
post #585 of 653 Old 03-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

It means that it will only wait for 1 minute for a connection. After 1 minute, if no connection has been made, it times out and goes on to other things.

If a connection is made, within that 1 minute windows, the mirroring starts very quickly (a couple of seconds for handshaking and loading the first image). Or at least it does with the Netgear Push2TV which will work with Windows 8.1 properly.

Mike
post #586 of 653 Old 03-14-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I see, then "Home screen will appear after 1 minute without any operation" is anything but.

If it works with other Miracast receiver without having to "press the button", I think it is more likely a problem with the Panasonic. And having owned 2 Panasonic Blu-ray players, I am sure as hell that Panasonic will not take responsibility.
post #587 of 653 Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Adds are displayed when you're browsing the network services (your apps). You get a banner or two at the top and there are 'featured' services taking the place of unused app squares. There are no YouTube-like unskippable video ads.

So if the BD player is off, and if you turn it on and insert a disc, will you see any ads? Do you have to go to a menu to start playing a disc?

Thanks,

John
post #588 of 653 Old 03-17-2014, 01:55 PM

I've got a 2008 Panasonic DMP-BD35 that is starting to have trouble with just about every BD disc I try to play. I might get stuttering at two-three places in movies. These are usually Redbox rentals, but I clean them before I put them in the player.

I just cleaned the lens and spread the existing lube around the shuttle movement bars today to see if that improves things. If not, it'll be time for a replacement.

I've got three questions:

1) How much faster is the current line of Panasonic BD players than the BD35 I've got? For a test, I went from power off to the first place I could interact with the menu. Here are the times I saw:

Movie: Star Wars, Return of the Jedi 2011 BluRay release.

Power-on (via door open button) to disc tray extended: 23.5 seconds
Door-shut button pressed to first text message on the screen from the disk: 1:26
Door-shut button pressed to ability to interact with menu: 2:17

2) Are the remote codes the same such that I would not have to reprogram a Harmony One remote? (Not the end of the world, obviously but one item in deciding between replacement players.

3) I'm not looking for any new features. I use other boxes to stream Internet video and audio for example. I just use a single HDMI out to my AV Receiver, and wired Ethernet. I don't need the other outputs. Are there any features or quality differences that I'll notice (or miss) between my existing box and a new BD player, such as the DMP-230?

Thanks,

John
post #589 of 653 Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the BD35 and also the BD65. I can tell you that the boot performance is significant. The remote code between the BD35 and BD65 are the same. I see the BDT230 has a little more buttons like 3D, Vieracast. I would imagine there will be some extension but most likely you don't need to reprogram your remote. But then, isn't that the point of having a programmable remote is to be able to upgrade?

Strictly as a Blu-ray player, I don't really see much difference. But I believe the newer BD player has better DVD upscaling. It maybe of interest to you.
post #590 of 653 Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I have the BD35 and also the BD65. I can tell you that the boot performance is significant.

Thanks for the info.
Quote:
The remote code between the BD35 and BD65 are the same. I see the BDT230 has a little more buttons like 3D, Vieracast. I would imagine there will be some extension but most likely you don't need to reprogram your remote. But then, isn't that the point of having a programmable remote is to be able to upgrade?

I don't have an issue with reprogramming the Harmony, but it is something I do so infrequently that I just need to know whether or not to set aside time to do it - at least for the basics of launching a movie, and the basic play/pause stuff. This is more about family acceptance factor.

Quote:
Strictly as a Blu-ray player, I don't really see much difference. But I believe the newer BD player has better DVD upscaling. It maybe of interest to you.

I've been reading that the basics of Blu-ray and DVD playback were not much changed. I do still watch a fair number of DVDs, so as long as the DVD up conversion is no worse than it was with my current player, I'll be happy.

Thanks again,

John
post #591 of 653 Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Liked: 19
Got an Amazon open box 225 for $55, only the box was damaged. Nice player so far. The boot time is great coming from a Pioneer BDP-320.

As far as the audio issues that some complain about, does that occur when having the player decode the HD tracks and output PCM?
post #592 of 653 Old 03-19-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOCFII View Post

So if the BD player is off, and if you turn it on and insert a disc, will you see any ads? Do you have to go to a menu to start playing a disc?

Thanks,

John

You might occasionally see a static image banner ad on boot-up, but that option can be turned off in system settings. On startup, the Panasonic will display its home screen. After inserting a blu, it will load and either player trailers or present the particular disc's menu screen...or even auto-play; depends on the title.

I only use my 230 as a blu-ray player; after turning off the intro banner, I haven't seen a single ad. Word is they're all in the streaming services interface.
post #593 of 653 Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 AM

Can anyone who hasn't altered their 3D settings in their 230's 3D options tell me what the default Distance setting is? It's probably zero, but I've played with it a bit...and I think my earlier 220 came factory set to -2 in its manual settings. The 230 does not seem to have a force "Normal" option as the 220 did.

I'd just like to be sure I'm seeing the 3D effects of any given release as originally designed/intended. Thanks.
post #594 of 653 Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I got 230 for one of my relatives yesterday I had hook it up for him he's very happy camper.
post #595 of 653 Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

You might occasionally see a static image banner ad on boot-up, but that option can be turned off in system settings. On startup, the Panasonic will display its home screen. After inserting a blu, it will load and either player trailers or present the particular disc's menu screen...or even auto-play; depends on the title.

I only use my 230 as a blu-ray player; after turning off the intro banner, I haven't seen a single ad. Word is they're all in the streaming services interface.

Thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate it.
post #596 of 653 Old 03-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOCFII View Post

Thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate it.

Glad to help.
post #597 of 653 Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

Can anyone who hasn't altered their 3D settings in their 230's 3D options tell me what the default Distance setting is? It's probably zero, but I've played with it a bit...and I think my earlier 220 came factory set to -2 in its manual settings. The 230 does not seem to have a force "Normal" option as the 220 did.

I'd just like to be sure I'm seeing the 3D effects of any given release as originally designed/intended. Thanks.

I did a factory reset on my 230 (it doesn't mess with network settings, as I feared), and the default, factory setting for 3D distance is "0." Seems like a no-brainer, but the default manual adjustment on the 220 is "-2." I'll re-set that unit too, just to double check.
post #598 of 653 Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the BD35 and also the BD65. I can tell you that the boot performance is significant. The remote code between the BD35 and BD65 are the same. I see the BDT230 has a little more buttons like 3D, Vieracast. I would imagine there will be some extension but most likely you don't need to reprogram your remote. But then, isn't that the point of having a programmable remote is to be able to upgrade?

FWIW, I can confirm that the BDT230 is mostly compatible with the BD35 and BD65 (which are identical). There is only 1 difference I noticed, the button that used to pop-up the player's menu where I can change subtitle, audio, etc is now moved. The BDT230 uses the "Settings" button. I used a programmable remote for BD65 and I can use the "sub" button to bring up the same menu on the BD230. But I am pretty sure I used a different button on the BD65.
post #599 of 653 Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 AM

Does any one have trouble having to activate Youtube App on DMP-BDT 230 everytime we use Youtube? Seems like my player loses activation data every time I exit out of Youtube. I tried use the Home button or Return button to exit Youtube, but it loses the pairing everytime. Let me know if I am missing any trick.

Thanks.
post #600 of 653 Old 03-27-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any 230 owners? I'm thinking of ditching my PS3 and replacing it with a 230. Seems like a better choice mainly for 3D(the whole Dolby HD sound issue with the PS3) and its ability to convert 2D to 3D. Thoughts? I only really use the PS3 for Blu-ray, I own one game and that's Duke Nukem which I don't play lol.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd79 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd89 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt230 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt330 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page