Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013 - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 653 Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am not sure what Dolby HD sound is with PS3 but make sure the BDT230's audio capability works for you too. Here is a detailed review:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/panasonic-dmp-bdt230-blu-ray-player.html

If you have the original PS3, it would be quite bulky. Having said that, the BDT230 is noisier than that expected too. And I don't think it would be as flexible as PS3 in terms of Apps.

I've tried BDT230's 2D to 3D. While it works pretty well, I don't really see the point of watching fake 3D material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 653 Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My Chromecast has completely replaced my PS3 now at this point less blu-ray. The PS3 Slim or any other model does not support the Dolby HD sound when playing 3D films it only supports DTS, which is fine sort of for non 7.1 movies but for 7.1 movies you are losing channels.
post #603 of 653 Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post

Any 230 owners? I'm thinking of ditching my PS3 and replacing it with a 230. Seems like a better choice mainly for 3D(the whole Dolby HD sound issue with the PS3) and its ability to convert 2D to 3D. Thoughts? I only really use the PS3 for Blu-ray, I own one game and that's Duke Nukem which I don't play lol.

I got an open box 225 a couple weeks ago from Amazon and love it and it only cost me $60. From what I can tell spec wise 225 is the twin of 230, I can't find a difference. Unit has been great and fast. I haven't checked online services since I have an AppleTV. I did try some tests with Amazon Prime videos and it seemed to work great during my 15 minutes of testing.

I had a Pioneer BDP-320 which was great but slow loading compared to newer players. The loading speed caused a problem with scratched BDs from Netflix, some would completely freeze.
post #604 of 653 Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post

My Chromecast has completely replaced my PS3 now at this point less blu-ray. The PS3 Slim or any other model does not support the Dolby HD sound when playing 3D films it only supports DTS, which is fine sort of for non 7.1 movies but for 7.1 movies you are losing channels.

As far as loosing channels, if you have a 7.1 system then 2 things should occur to compensate:

1. The player down mixes to 5.1 then forwards the signal to your AVR
2. The AVR converts the audio back to 7.1 to allow for the back channels.

It won't be a 100% of the original disc mixing but I think you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference. Another thing part 2 is what is happening already with the 5.1 soundtracks from discs.
post #605 of 653 Old 04-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10

FILE LIMIT FOR USB AND NETWORK SHARING PLAYBACK ON PANASONIC DMP-BD79

Hi there,

I'm a total newbie to the forum and i have one question that it seems beyond google to answer.  

I'm interested to know what the file limit is for USB and network sharing as i've noticed that when connecting an external hard drive, it doesn't pick up all the files (giving the error "Some folders and files cannot be displayed since the total number of files and folder exceeds the limit") which means that I then have to plug the drive back into my PC and copy it to a flash drive to use in the player.  The same thing happened when connecting to a network drive (the network share was the same drive as above, connected to my PC and shared). My collection isn't huge, but the current share includes 60GB of music, so was thinking I could share only video content but I want to know the limit before I go to that trouble.

The set up is a DMP-BD79 Blue-ray connected to a JVC TV in the lounge, connected to a Win7 PC in my bedroom by a home network (Blu-ray is wired to the router, the PC connected with dual-band WiFi connection).  I want to stream content from the PC to loungeroom, but be able to watch in my bedroom too of course.

Also considering DLNA via my Win 7 PC  (problem is that my entire library is set up in Windows Media centre, and that doesn't seem to work with DLNA, whereas I don't like WMP as a playback solution when watching on the PC itself so would like to avoid having to use that to get DLNA to work - but will consider it). Or I can buy a DLNA server and put the content in there for use over the network to the player so I can watch it in the lounge room, or I can view it from my PC (the much pricier option).

Of course any alternative set up advice would be appreciated too!

Thanks!

Dan :-)

post #606 of 653 Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Forgive me if this has been addressed in a previous post. I've had the 230 for 9 months now. Twice it has frozen when trying to access Netflix. Once within the 1st week and last night. It will let me open disc tray but nothing else except a blue screen. I've had to unplug to get it going again. I have current firmware and it's connected via Ethernet to router. Any suggestions/reasons for lock-up?
Thanks.
post #607 of 653 Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnfs328 View Post

FILE LIMIT FOR USB AND NETWORK SHARING PLAYBACK ON PANASONIC DMP-BD79

I'm interested to know what the file limit is for USB and network sharing as i've noticed that when connecting an external hard drive, it doesn't pick up all the files (giving the error "Some folders and files cannot be displayed since the total number of files and folder exceeds the limit") which means that I then have to plug the drive back into my PC and copy it to a flash drive to use in the player.  The same thing happened when connecting to a network drive (the network share was the same drive as above, connected to my PC and shared). My collection isn't huge, but the current share includes 60GB of music, so was thinking I could share only video content but I want to know the limit before I go to that trouble.

I bet it's the folder directory structure on the computer, there may be too many subfolders and the player might not be able to access more than 1 or 2 levels down. I assume on your USB thumbdrive the audio files are either on the root of the drive or a folder on the root with no subfolders which would be why you are able to play them.
post #608 of 653 Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have a problem with my BD230. When I try to power it off, it gets stuck on "BYE" and will not power off. Also, no other functions will work. Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.
post #609 of 653 Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Pull the power cord out, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in. That will cause a full reboot and may solve your problem for a long time. If not, it's probably time to talk to Panasonic support.

Mike
post #610 of 653 Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

Pull the power cord out, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in. That will cause a full reboot and may solve your problem for a long time. If not, it's probably time to talk to Panasonic support.

Mike

Thanks. I already did that the last 2 nights, but when I use it again, it just does the same thing. mad.gif
post #611 of 653 Old 04-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Are you up to date on the firmware? When I bought mine (last July) it used to have problems with hanging, but the firmware upgrade solved those. The current firmware is very good.

Mike
post #612 of 653 Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you up to date on the firmware? When I bought mine (last July) it used to have problems with hanging, but the firmware upgrade solved those. The current firmware is very good.

Mike

Yes, it's the latest firmware.
post #613 of 653 Old 04-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

So I only have one more suggestion: turn of HDMI CEC. I can't remember the name Panasonic uses for it (probably Viera Link or Viera Connect). The manual, which I don't have handy, will tell you.

Mike
post #614 of 653 Old 04-13-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I only have one more suggestion: turn of HDMI CEC. I can't remember the name Panasonic uses for it (probably Viera Link or Viera Connect). The manual, which I don't have handy, will tell you.

Mike

Thanks. I'll check the HDMI CEC setting tonite. What's weird is last night it shut down properly. I've had the player 9 months, and this problem just popped up a few days ago.
post #615 of 653 Old 04-13-2014, 10:50 PM

I've modified my US DMP-225 to DVD region "0"[1], and it continues to play region 1 NTSC media fine. It also plays the one region 4 PAL DVD I have. But it refuses to play any region 2 PAL media I have - I get a screen saying "Cannot play", with no further details. Does anyone know what the player may be checking for here? Given the log data I have, it's possible that it's unhappy with the range of formats that my monitor supports (it's a PC monitor with an HDMI port, but nominally supports 50Hz as well as 60Hz), but I have no solid information.

[1] there's a flaw in the firmware that lets you run arbitrary code on the device, and it turns out that Mediatek device firmware stores the platform region in an easily modifiable location

post #616 of 653 Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all, have a couple of questions:

Is the BD230 the same as the BD330 blu-ray picture quality wise. From what I can see the features that the 330 has that the 230 does not have is the dual HDMI, 4k upscaling but otherwise are the same?

Also, is the 230 a good alternative if one does not want to over spend with an Oppo?

I will be mating it up with a 65" inchZT60.

Thanks
post #617 of 653 Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM

I think this was briefly discussed early on in this thread but my 230 will not play the T2 Skynet Edition Blu-Ray. It says insufficient space and just goes to black screen and freezes. I think the blu-ray has been known to have some issues with BD-Live but this is the 2nd time in the last week this player has frozen on me. I almost lost it.
post #618 of 653 Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post

Hello all, have a couple of questions:

Is the BD230 the same as the BD330 blu-ray picture quality wise. From what I can see the features that the 330 has that the 230 does not have is the dual HDMI, 4k upscaling but otherwise are the same?

Also, is the 230 a good alternative if one does not want to over spend with an Oppo?

I will be mating it up with a 65" inchZT60.

Thanks

The picture quality of the 230 should be on par with the 330.

Only buy an Oppo if you want to utilize the superior audio DACs to listen to SACDs or DVD-Audio in addition to watch movies. You have to connect via analog audio outputs to allow for the DAC processing though. Save yourself some $$ IMO.
Edllguy likes this.
post #619 of 653 Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

I think this was briefly discussed early on in this thread but my 230 will not play the T2 Skynet Edition Blu-Ray. It says insufficient space and just goes to black screen and freezes. I think the blu-ray has been known to have some issues with BD-Live but this is the 2nd time in the last week this player has frozen on me. I almost lost it.
T2 is an older Lionsgatye title. Early on Lionsgate had a lot of issues in their authoring process. Put in a memory card and it should play fine. It will be fairly slow loading. Played fine for me when I got the player and tested it for another member.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #620 of 653 Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

T2 is an older Lionsgatye title. Early on Lionsgate had a lot of issues in their authoring process. Put in a memory card and it should play fine. It will be fairly slow loading. Played fine for me when I got the player and tested it for another member.

S~

I will. Thank you.

I have a 1 GB SD Card. Will that be sufficient and can I leave it in the 230 at all times?
post #621 of 653 Old 04-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
1 GB is the minimum for BDLive and should be sufficient. You can leave it in at all times. I do, just in case.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #622 of 653 Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

1 GB is the minimum for BDLive and should be sufficient. You can leave it in at all times. I do, just in case.

S~

Thanks for the info.

Update: I still couldn't get it to work. I did some research and found that the 230 won't let you use the SD Slot for BD-Live. Only the USB. Kinda stinks since the front flap won't close with a flash drive. Should've put it in the back. Oh well.
post #623 of 653 Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

There was a firmware upgrade for my 230 this evening.

DMP-BDT230, DMP-BDT225, DMP-BDT330 Firmware Update Version 1.69

Version: 1.69
Issues Addressed: Network Service compatibility and update to support Skype.
Playability of 3D Blu-ray Disc.

Release Date April, 15 2014

It installed with no problems. I'll have to try Elysium again to see if it fixed the audio problems.

Mike
post #624 of 653 Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

There was a firmware upgrade for my 230 this evening.

DMP-BDT230, DMP-BDT225, DMP-BDT330 Firmware Update Version 1.69

Version: 1.69
Issues Addressed: Network Service compatibility and update to support Skype.
Playability of 3D Blu-ray Disc.

Release Date April, 15 2014

It installed with no problems. I'll have to try Elysium again to see if it fixed the audio problems.

Mike
I update mines yesterday
post #625 of 653 Old 04-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidoroboo View Post

I got an open box 225 a couple weeks ago from Amazon and love it and it only cost me $60. From what I can tell spec wise 225 is the twin of 230, I can't find a difference. Unit has been great and fast. I haven't checked online services since I have an AppleTV. I did try some tests with Amazon Prime videos and it seemed to work great during my 15 minutes of testing.

Also curious about the distinction between the 230 and 225... Maybe the 225 is functionally the same unit, yet features new internal components? Going out on a limb here, but could Panasonic have swapped out the problematic wireless adapters which caused so many reported failures on the 230 with different hardware?

Someone needs to look under the hood of these units.
post #626 of 653 Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

Also curious about the distinction between the 230 and 225... Maybe the 225 is functionally the same unit, yet features new internal components? Going out on a limb here, but could Panasonic have swapped out the problematic wireless adapters which caused so many reported failures on the 230 with different hardware?

Someone needs to look under the hood of these units.

I've read different things but nothing concrete. I read one thing that said the 225 is a 230 but without a paper manual. Mine had a paper manual so that is false.

It's possible that the 225 fixed some problems with the 230. If you look at Amazon, the "date first available was Sept 2013, the 230 was Feb 2013. The only way we would be able to tell is look at manufacture dates.

The only other explanation would be that the 225 and 230 are reseller specific. Some resellers get certain model numbers only for them. I've seen Amazon sell both online and in-store versions of some products so that would explain why they have both.
post #627 of 653 Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 AM

I am setting up a new Home Theater system for my parents, and I had them get a Panasonic bdt-225.

I am on firmware update 1.69... The player has frozen 3 different times now in the last couple days, at random times, with different discs in each time. The only fix is to physically unplug the power cord, as the unit will not power down with the remote once it freezes. There is no pattern to the freezing that I can come up with. Is there any known fix or adjustment I'm missing that would keep it from freezing?
post #628 of 653 Old 04-19-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolausp View Post

The player has frozen 3 different times now in the last couple days, at random times, with different discs in each time. The only fix is to physically unplug the power cord, as the unit will not power down with the remote once it freezes.
This is precisely what happened with mine. Eventually it stopped playing altogether. I'm a Panasonic fan, and this is their first product which fell below my expectations. Return it and get a Samsung, you'll be much happier.
post #629 of 653 Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post

This is precisely what happened with mine. Eventually it stopped playing altogether. I'm a Panasonic fan, and this is their first product which fell below my expectations. Return it and get a Samsung, you'll be much happier.

Thanks for your input!

Ok I just boxed up the Panasonic 225. Which 3D Blu-Ray Samsung player do you suggest that will work better?
post #630 of 653 Old 04-19-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolausp View Post

I am setting up a new Home Theater system for my parents, and I had them get a Panasonic bdt-225.

I am on firmware update 1.69... The player has frozen 3 different times now in the last couple days, at random times, with different discs in each time. The only fix is to physically unplug the power cord, as the unit will not power down with the remote once it freezes. There is no pattern to the freezing that I can come up with. Is there any known fix or adjustment I'm missing that would keep it from freezing?

How much time in disc playback did you have on the unit when you began to see this issue?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd79 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd89 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt230 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt330 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page