Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 653 Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidoroboo View Post

I've read different things but nothing concrete. I read one thing that said the 225 is a 230 but without a paper manual. Mine had a paper manual so that is false.

It's possible that the 225 fixed some problems with the 230. If you look at Amazon, the "date first available was Sept 2013, the 230 was Feb 2013. The only way we would be able to tell is look at manufacture dates.

The only other explanation would be that the 225 and 230 are reseller specific. Some resellers get certain model numbers only for them. I've seen Amazon sell both online and in-store versions of some products so that would explain why they have both.

It does seem that that the 225 is inconsistently stocked with different retailers.

Panasonic itself is no longer listing the 230, nor the 225...while they continue to sell the 330.

Maybe the remaining run of of their 230s got a "225" tweak and new listing at dealers still carrying the 230 before their phase-out. As for the lower model number, maybe that was due to a change that did not represent a different or improved feature set, just an attempt at more reliable performance (over the troubled 230).

Well, I'm sure someone at Panasonic knows what's going on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 653 Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

How much time in disc playback did you have on the unit when you began to see this issue?

maybe 15-20 minutes or so.
post #633 of 653 Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolausp View Post

maybe 15-20 minutes or so.

Definitely sounds like you got a lemon. There do seem to be same bad apples in the bushel. You could always try an exchange before a return. If you get a reliably serving 230, it's probably the best player in its class. Then again, one man's dependably serving component is another's defective; a doorstop. So I can't begrudge anyone's unhappiness at getting faulty unit.
post #634 of 653 Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 PM

Turns out that the firmware special-cases US and Canadian players and disables PAL playback. After setting the country code to the UK, I can play back PAL and NTSC without any trouble - it's purely a software limitation, not a hardware one. I lost access to the US streaming services (vudu, Amazon and so on), but no big deal.

post #635 of 653 Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM

I just gort one of these (the 89 model) and have a question.

is anyone here experiencing any problems with the Cinemanow app? I have the VUDU account on it linked to a UV account, and it works fine, but I try to link another UV account to Cinemanow, it doesn't show any of my UV titles at all. been going back and forth with tech "support" for about 3 days now.  Not sure if this is me, the player, the software or a setting. I also can;t get the user agreement to stop coming up.

T

post #636 of 653 Old 05-16-2014, 06:13 AM

Liked: 19
Never tried it.
post #637 of 653 Old 05-24-2014, 05:45 PM

Liked: 19
Has anyone had issues with the Menu button on the remote? When I press Top Menu, nothing happens. It used to work.
post #638 of 653 Old 05-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Recently I've noticed that lettering/credits were not as crisp and sharp as they should be on both DVD and Blu-Ray. I tested some movies out on my PS3/PS4 and the issue wasn't there. The movies also looked a tad better. I was fiddling with some Video Settings on my BDT-230 and found that switching from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 Chroma fixed the lettering/credits issue. I think the PS4 and PS3 also use this on Blu-Ray Playback. Here is a pic of what 4:2:2 was doing on my BDT-230. 4:4:4 has cleaned it up.

I can see this 10ft. away on my couch.
(The wavy lines are from camera)
post #639 of 653 Old 05-26-2014, 01:11 AM

Has anyone had problems playing back Sony mastered in 4K discs? I get intermittent video dropouts. Haven't tried the latest firmware. Tried disc in a BDT-210 and problem went away. Problem is with BDT-230.

Thanks,
Trevor
post #640 of 653 Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by thediorunner View Post

Has anyone had problems playing back Sony mastered in 4K discs? I get intermittent video dropouts. Haven't tried the latest firmware. Tried disc in a BDT-210 and problem went away. Problem is with BDT-230.

Thanks,
Trevor
They are not 4k bluray players just 1080p.All yeah welcome to AVS forums.
post #641 of 653 Old 05-29-2014, 10:26 PM

I know they aren't 4k players. It's just that I'm having video dropouts only on Sony "Mastered in 4K" blu-rays and want to know if anyone else is having these issues.
post #642 of 653 Old 06-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

I'll have to try Elysium again to see if it fixed the audio problems.

I tried watching The Monuments Men on Blu-Ray last night and had the same problems I was having with Elysium. With MM it was showing a black screen much earlier in the movie and didn't seem to have anything to do with volume. By the 3rd chapter I had already ejected the BD and watched the DVD instead.

Has anyone else seen this?

I'll probably phone Panasonic on Monday and make a holy stink about this. It would be nice to be able to say the lots of other people are seeing the same thing.

Thanks,
Mike
post #643 of 653 Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post

Playing "Captain Philips" the screen will blank out and audio remains just like with "Elysium" what fixed it was switching the player to "RGB Standard" so the player was not outputting X.V. color to my Sharp TV. I wonder if the BDT500 has these errors

Thanks for posting this.  It fixed the blank out issue for me too on the BDT330.

post #644 of 653 Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA92 View Post

Hi Mike
Player settings>Video>HDMI Output>HDMI Color Mode. This is usually only used for computers. The colors will be dull. It is not a solution. I only confirmed Krismate's observation. The problem is probably the way the 230 is sending the YCbCr 4:2:2 to the receiver. You will also need to turn off Deep Color.

As Bama noted, that solution gives poor colours. Just putting the DVD in worked better.

I was wondering if anyone has an open support case with Panasonic on this issue. It seems to me that they should be issuing a firmware fix for this problem.

Mike
thediorunner likes this.
post #645 of 653 Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

As Bama noted, that solution gives poor colours. Just putting the DVD in worked better.

I was wondering if anyone has an open support case with Panasonic on this issue. It seems to me that they should be issuing a firmware fix for this problem.

Mike

This also happens on This Is The End. I've noticed it on most of the new Sony discs, which are all Mastered in 4K.
post #646 of 653 Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Panasonic Brand is now crap.
My friend bought a new 42" panasonic recently and a pioneer bluray BD160 player.
The player had drop outs regularly and other players in the system ok after upgrading to hdmi cables.Everything including the pioneer played on his old Panasonic lcd tv.So exchanged tv with same model 42" and same issue.He went and bought a new DMP-BDT-230 last night and playing fine so far on firmware 1.39.Region free dvd works on some overseas discs and others not probably because of copy protection.We are in Australia and dvd supposed to be region free but not so.
The biggest disappointment is firmware updating on the DMP-BDT-230.IF NO INTERNET YOU HAVE TO USE MICROSOFT XP TO BURN A FIRMWARE DISC.
This is unbelieveable this day an age when everything can be updated via usb stick.
You cant use anything other then XP to burn a firmware disc.
Absolutely unbelieveable this day an age.
Also lastest panansonic tv's and the DMP-BDT-230 firmware state fixes to fix HDMI ISSUES which is a real worry.
The firmware updates for the tv didnt fix the problem with the new pioneer bluray dropouts.
So stay away from panasonic now--it doesnt look good

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #647 of 653 Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
You DO NOT have to have windows xp to burn a firmware disc. There are programs out there such as CDBurnerXP which works fine. I do agree that there should be a USB update option. As for dropouts, there are some titles that give many brands trouble. These seem to affect players with the mediatek chipset.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #648 of 653 Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

I contacted Panasonic Canada and gave them all the information. Hopefully I'll hear back from them and we'll get a fix soon.

Mike
post #649 of 653 Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by BAMA92

Hi Mike
Player settings>Video>HDMI Output>HDMI Color Mode. This is usually only used for computers. The colors will be dull. It is not a solution. I only confirmed Krismate's observation. The problem is probably the way the 230 is sending the YCbCr 4:2:2 to the receiver. You will also need to turn off Deep Color.

Mike
So I tried several things last night, like turning off Deep Color (didn't help) and selecting RGB (which worked). The colours seemed OK after selecting RGB, but I was only looking at one disk (Monuments Men). My BD player goes to a Denon AVR4520CI and then to a Panasonic AE-8000 projector, so maybe that helps.

What should I be looking for in terms of "dull colors". The MM disk generally seemed dull (washed out war movie look), but the final scenes from 1977 in the cathedral looked great. The gold in the pipe organ looked really good.

I'd prefer Panasonic fixes this problem properly, but this may be OK as a work around.

Thanks,
Mike
post #650 of 653 Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I tried several things last night, like turning off Deep Color (didn't help) and selecting RGB (which worked). The colours seemed OK after selecting RGB, but I was only looking at one disk (Monuments Men). My BD player goes to a Denon AVR4520CI and then to a Panasonic AE-8000 projector, so maybe that helps.

What should I be looking for in terms of "dull colors". The MM disk generally seemed dull (washed out war movie look), but the final scenes from 1977 in the cathedral looked great. The gold in the pipe organ looked really good.

I'd prefer Panasonic fixes this problem properly, but this may be OK as a work around.

Thanks,
Mike
Panasonic emailed me and asked me to send them my Elysium and Monuments Men disks for testing. I pointed them to this thread so they can see that it's not an issue with an individual disk, but a problem with their firmware. I'll let you know if/when I hear back from them (although it would be nice if Panasonic spoke up here as well). Hint. Hint.

Mike
post #651 of 653 Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

There was a firmware update for my 230 last night, but it did NOT fix the blanking issue.

Mike
post #652 of 653 Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
There was a firmware update for my 230 last night, but it did NOT fix the blanking issue.

Mike

Hopefully, next firmware.

I'm sure you've tried this, but does the problem persist if you connect your player directly to your TV?

I'll try to get one of the offending Blus, see if I can reproduce these dropouts on my system.

update: after installing the latest update, my 230 locked up for the first time powering up (not immediately after the installation). It has frozen before during a DLNA session, so it's not unheard of. I'll watch for any spike in lockups that could indicate an issue with the new firmware. Apart from that one glitch, so far, so good. As with other reported episodes of freezing, unplugging the unit provided a fix.

Last edited by JackN; 07-28-2014 at 06:51 PM.
post #653 of 653 Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Panasonic iphone app ??

Hi all
Was hoping someone could please answer a question for me.
Why is there no 2013/2014 app for the Panasonic blu ray player ?
Is there one on the way maybe or are Panasonic not bothering ?
I have DMP-BDT-230
Thanks all
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd79 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd89 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt230 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt330 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page