Official Panasonic DMP 79/89/130(UK)/225/230/330 Owners Thread 2013 - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 666 Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Is this happening after using streaming services or network functions? If you don't already--as the disc operations seem to be more stable on these units--you could try exiting any application and returning to the main system menu before powering down. Also: Be sure you're not leaving a disc in the unit, as I've read about other instances of freezing on shut-down in such cases. See if that helps...

It was happening after Netflix streaming. I reset the player to factory settings, and it hasn't happened since. So far, so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 666 Old 11-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I bought the DMP-BDT330 as a spare player, thinking I'd better grab one while the UniPhier processor was still available. I was dissappointed to read in this thread it uses the MediaTek 5590 chip, so I took the cover off to see if it was true.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5588_small.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	344546  
post #663 of 666 Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post
I bought the DMP-BDT330 as a spare player, thinking I'd better grab one while the UniPhier processor was still available. I was dissappointed to read in this thread it uses the MediaTek 5590 chip, so I took the cover off to see if it was true.

It's gone, MacReady! Did you look under the heat sink? Otherwise, all I'm coming up with is handful of Samsung chips.

Last edited by JackN; 11-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.
post #664 of 666 Old 11-10-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

So what wrong with that chip.
post #665 of 666 Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The heat sink appears to be glued on so I didn't remove it. I'm currently using a DMP-BDT220 which does have the UniPhier processor, so my spare player not having it is only an annoyance. I'm just trying to plan ahead. I have thousands of dollars in blu-ray discs, and I realized that could all be lost if I didn't have a player. You can easily rip DVDs and play them from a file server, but I don't know of a solution for blu-rays that preserves their full functionality.

I bought two 330's as spares, and hopefully they'll still work ten or twenty years from now. I have a CD player that I paid $600 for in 1990 that still works, so I hope these units live that long. However, there's a tendency for capacitors to fail in modern electronics. I've had to get a friend to solder new capacitors into some of my other electronics to keep them running.

I tried the 330 in the photo, and I couldn't tell the difference in picture quality from my 220, so I guess it's not a big deal. I updated the firmware and put it back in its original packaging.
post #666 of 666 Old 11-11-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
The heat sink appears to be glued on so I didn't remove it. I'm currently using a DMP-BDT220 which does have the UniPhier processor, so my spare player not having it is only an annoyance. I'm just trying to plan ahead. I have thousands of dollars in blu-ray discs, and I realized that could all be lost if I didn't have a player. You can easily rip DVDs and play them from a file server, but I don't know of a solution for blu-rays that preserves their full functionality.

I bought two 330's as spares, and hopefully they'll still work ten or twenty years from now. I have a CD player that I paid $600 for in 1990 that still works, so I hope these units live that long. However, there's a tendency for capacitors to fail in modern electronics. I've had to get a friend to solder new capacitors into some of my other electronics to keep them running.

I tried the 330 in the photo, and I couldn't tell the difference in picture quality from my 220, so I guess it's not a big deal. I updated the firmware and put it back in its original packaging.

I understand the urge to hoard components, especially well made ones, but--so far--I've resisted it. Hopefully, physical media has enough life left in it so we'll see when the end is really freaking nigh such that we can grab a few extra players on demand. That said, while smart functions and the odd bell or whistle will continue to evolve, quality and workmanship will probably continue to take a hit with all the cost cutting. What we get then won't be as nice as, say, the bdt220/bdt230. I mean, metal chassis! Imagine that.

I still have a couple of Panasonic's cream of the crop DVD recorders in service after years of heavy use (and careful maintenance), so maybe there's hope I could get under the hoods of these BDTs and lube, clean and eke out a few more years from them as well.

Last edited by JackN; 11-12-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd79 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd89 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt230 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmpbdt330 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page