Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 326 Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

Does anyone knw what to set this players settings for using a disc to calibrate my tv? Thanks n advance
Standard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 326 Old 06-20-2014, 11:55 PM

Liked: 10
Unhappy Thick Black Bar in Center of Screen on FiosTV App!

Ok, so I updated to the latest firmware (1017) I installed the FiosTV app. It is very nice. They really took their time to capture the look and feel of a cable box. I was able to successfully authorize the app with Fios too. Here is the thing... the app works perfect for browsing tiles, guide, Flexview, etc. BUT when you launch any channel, I get a beautiful live-tv image, crystal clear, but with a black vertical bar in the center of the screen on EVERY channel. This bar doesn't appear on any other app, nor when I am watching blu rays. This only happens on the FiosTv app. I have searched online for anyone else who has this problem and I have not seen anything. How can this be? Clearly it's not just me. It MUST be either the app or the app on this particular model and firmware. Anyone else out there? Solutions? Suggestions? Tissues to cry into?
post #303 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandenwan View Post
Ok, so I updated to the latest firmware (1017) I installed the FiosTV app. It is very nice. They really took their time to capture the look and feel of a cable box. I was able to successfully authorize the app with Fios too. Here is the thing... the app works perfect for browsing tiles, guide, Flexview, etc. BUT when you launch any channel, I get a beautiful live-tv image, crystal clear, but with a black vertical bar in the center of the screen on EVERY channel. This bar doesn't appear on any other app, nor when I am watching blu rays. This only happens on the FiosTv app. I have searched online for anyone else who has this problem and I have not seen anything. How can this be? Clearly it's not just me. It MUST be either the app or the app on this particular model and firmware. Anyone else out there? Solutions? Suggestions? Tissues to cry into?
I sure hope you realize this is obviously an issue to report to both Samsung and Fios as soon as possible. Without people reporting the issue they cant know about it and thus can't fix it.

We gave up on this machine and it just sits there waiting for the rare occasion to play a disk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #304 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandenwan View Post
The FiOS app works fine on my BD-FM59C with firmware 1017. No black bar here.
post #305 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like its time for a firmware reflash. Can the same numbered firmware be flashed onto itself?
post #306 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
The FiOS app works fine on my BD-FM59C with firmware 1017. No black bar here.
Wait, isn't that a different model machine?
post #307 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Wait, isn't that a different model machine?
I believe the BD-FM59C is the wholesale club model number for the same unit. I think the only real difference is this model includes a HDMI cable.
post #308 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe the BD-FM59C is the wholesale club model number for the same unit. I think the only real difference is this model includes a HDMI cable.
Wow, its about time we see an HDMI cable included in a retail box. lol
post #309 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, its about time we see an HDMI cable included in a retail box. lol
The cable is a really nice one too.
post #310 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The cable is a really nice one too.
When my brother got his Roku 3 from a popular ebay/amazon seller he got the HDMI option which was like $2 more at the time. I was surprised to see it came with a Amazon branded HDMI cable, which is probably one of the best of the cheapest cables you can get, so I am told. However, its still a china manufactured in bulk product like everything else these days...
post #311 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Looks like its time for a firmware reflash. Can the same numbered firmware be flashed onto itself?
First try deleting the FiOS TV app and reinstalling it. The app is likely the culprit. (If it's a bug in the latest version of the app, reinstalling the app or reflashing the firmware won't have any effect. You'll have to wait for the software engineers to fix their screw-up.)

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by James Parsons; 06-21-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #312 of 326 Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
When my brother got his Roku 3 from a popular ebay/amazon seller he got the HDMI option which was like $2 more at the time. I was surprised to see it came with a Amazon branded HDMI cable, which is probably one of the best of the cheapest cables you can get, so I am told. However, its still a china manufactured in bulk product like everything else these days...
All my HDMI cables are AmazonBasics. They are great cables at a great price. As long as they work well, who cares where they're made?

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #313 of 326 Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Netflix freezing on BDF5900 only after a few minutes

when I play anything from Netflix on the player it will freeze after a few minutes nothing responds except power off and that seems to take about a minute to react. its hard wired to router with DHCP for address and DNS it has the latest firmware and Netflix works fine on all the other devices I try. speed wise it seems fine when I press info it starts at 240SD and goes to 1080P quite quickly (Netflix quality is set to auto)

any ideas this started before I updated the firmware I found that there was an update available and tried it it updated fine but still have the same issue.
post #314 of 326 Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having the same problem of the BDF5900 freezing up aftgere accessing Netflix for about a miniute or two. Network speed aprox 15Mbs. Anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve or diagnose.
post #315 of 326 Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I Fixed it.

did a factory reset. this erases everything including all of the apps. power on and set tv to the player and remove any disk in the machine. press and hold the stop button on the top if the machine not the remote it as it wont work for this. after about 5 seconds the tv will display reset. it will eventually power off power it on again it will go through the setup wizard and you will need to put any network setting back in. then when you goto the APPS it will begin to download the apps

Netflix now works fine and has a completely different look. more like what the other devices have. I also find that it loads faster.
the other interesting part is that it only installed the apps appropriate to my region. Hulu etc won't work in Canada and it didn't re install these but installed some other apps that do work in Canada.

link to instructions from Samsung.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ho...71/9799/116526
post #316 of 326 Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moes View Post
I Fixed it.

did a factory reset.
Thanks for the update!
post #317 of 326 Old 08-06-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My wife and I came back from a really nice Las Vegas vacation to find my DSL modem fried by lightning. I replaced it and then found out that my wireless router was also fried. Replaced it, but now my Samsung F5900 will only work wirelessly. I keep trying to switch from wireless to wired network and it doesn't seem to recognize the wired network. It works fine with wireless except for the reasons that I originally went to wired instead of wireless, namely buffering.

Is it possible the lightning also took out that part of my Blu-ray player? If a lightning flash traveled that far to take out the network connection wouldn't it of completely fried my player? Everything else on the player seems to work fine. Could it possibly be the cable?

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this?
post #318 of 326 Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 AM

Issue with Wifi BD-F5900

I have major issues with Wifi over the air. The connection keeps getting dropped and never restores unless i restart the player. I have the latest software. streaming interrupts and there is no connection to router. repeating connection attempts don't restore connection. Did a hard reset and download apps again. but not good. Once the connection breaks i have to exit not only netflix but restart the device and wait a couple of minutes and establish connection only for streaming to disconnect after 5 minutes.

Other wi-fi devices in the house stream everything without issues. So i don't believe its my wifi signal. Clearly a problem with the wifi connectivity of this device. So far no resolution.
post #319 of 326 Old 08-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah it is a bad unit it sounds like. See if you can get it replaced under warranty.
post #320 of 326 Old 08-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Some feedback on the Samsung support so folks are aware....
I called Samsung support about the wifi issue in the last few days. For Canadians, it may be an eye opener. What a pain in the ass. I decided to start with an online chat via the samsung's canada site and the chat session took about an hour to troubleshoot (only thing being hard reset). after an hour the guy on chat gives me a reference number and says I need to call their customer service number. Guess what the phone call centre guys have no record or way to reference the chat conversation and the guy on the chat admits this. The reference number means nothing to the guys on the phone. I express my grievance to this wastage of time to the online chat guy (coz by this time i have the guy on the phone as well the chat session going) who apologizes and exits. He says if you need a repair the guys on the phone will handle it. When i express my dissappointment to the guy on the phone he gives me an impression he doesn't even know what an online chat means. So he proceeds to hang up on me. Then i call back the call centre again and this time the same guy (in Dominican republic) picks up the call. Anyway i explain the story all over again and he still wants me to do a hard reset. I run through the steps a second time. Then finally after another hour, he gives me the address of the location where i need to take the unit to for repair. He gives me a difference reference number. Thankfully the repair location is 5 minutes away from where i live.
I called the repair location and they ask for a reference number starting in 412. Obviously I don't have a ref number starting with 412 so i call back the call centre and they say i need to mail the unit in via UPS so they send me a label in my email.
When i see the email i also see a 412 number. So i call back the repair place and give them the number and take the unit there myself.
Guess what the lady at reception has NO way to reference the previous chat or customer service phone conversation case records. Perfect. I had to describe the issue and what i did to troubleshoot and she is pissed but she writes it down on the service paper. They say they would call me in a week with update.
I purchased the unit at best buy in Dec 2013.
post #321 of 326 Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else having trouble playing BD-R? I stuck a Verbatim BDR LTH type (25Gb) in it yesterday and the drive made a clunking sound and I could not even eject it! It would not acknowledge the content of the disc, seems it could not even read it. I had to power down and sneak the disc out upon power up to avoid going back in the clunk clunk clunk loop.

Same files play fine through usb...

post #322 of 326 Old 08-19-2014, 04:14 AM

WiFi networking info

If you have a Linksys branded router, make sure you set the channel width to 20MHz only, not 20MHz and 40MHz. That should help with some of the WiFi issues that some users have run into. I've been using my BD-F5900 with a Linksys E2500(v1) that I updated to firmware version 2.0.0 and have run into a FEW little issues with WiFi(networking on my F5900 gets forgotten and I need to manually re-connect to the WiFi network), but everything else is working well.
post #323 of 326 Old 09-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm assuming this is the same as the HM-59. Has coax instead of optical. Any problems with 3D since last update? I'm connecting to a HU9000.

sent via HTC ONE M7
post #324 of 326 Old 09-14-2014, 03:50 AM

I'm having a problem with The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) on Blu-ray. The audio cuts out at 1:52:50 (chapter 15). It occurs with both the 2D and 3D discs. The sound does not cut out when I play the DVD, just the Blu-ray. My Blu-ray player is the Samsung BD-F5900. It's connected directly to my LG 60LA7400 TV via HDMI. I've tried changing audio settings for both the Blu-ray player and the TV, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Has anyone else here had their Amazing Spider-Man Blu-ray audio cut out at 1:52:50? Any thoughts on how to fix the problem (if it is fixable)?

VUDU Terms of Service:

Last edited by James Parsons; 09-14-2014 at 04:05 AM.
post #325 of 326 Old 09-14-2014, 03:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post
I'm having a problem with The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) on Blu-ray. The audio cuts out at 1:52:50 (chapter 15). It occurs with both the 2D and 3D discs. I remember that it also occurred with the disc I rented from Netflix a while back. The sound does not cut out when I play the DVD, just the Blu-ray. My Blu-ray player is the Samsung BD-F5900. It's connected directly to my LG 60LA7400 TV via HDMI. I've tried changing audio settings for both the Blu-ray player and the TV, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Has anyone else here had their Amazing Spider-Man Blu-ray audio cut out at 1:52:50? Any thoughts on how to fix the problem (if it is fixable)?
Just got he disk from Netflix myself, will test it out.
post #326 of 326 Old 09-14-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post
I'm having a problem with The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) on Blu-ray. The audio cuts out at 1:52:50 (chapter 15). It occurs with both the 2D and 3D discs. The sound does not cut out when I play the DVD, just the Blu-ray. My Blu-ray player is the Samsung BD-F5900. It's connected directly to my LG 60LA7400 TV via HDMI. I've tried changing audio settings for both the Blu-ray player and the TV, but it doesn't fix the problem.

OK, I identified the source of the problem. In the BD-F5900's audio settings, if "Downmixing Mode" is set to "Surround Compatible," then the audio will cut out at 1:52:50. If the "Downmixing Mode" is set to "Normal Stereo," then it won't cut out.

Honestly, I don't understand what the downmixing mode setting does anyhow. I seem to get surround sound from my AVR with both options.

VUDU Terms of Service:

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd F5900 3d Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - F5900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page