Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 340 Old 12-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Try the reset from inside the menu. That worked for me. There is the hardware reset and the smart hub reset. Try the hub reset.
I already tried full player reset and Smart Hub reset. It didn't help. No effect whatsoever.

Samsung support directed me to a hidden "Smart Hub Country code" setting, but that setting reported exactly the same "Error is detected from the information obtained from server" error after trying to populate the country list.

The player was already acting up yesterday with 1017 firmware. Amazon app refused to start. VUDU app refused to start. This was the reason I did a full reset and firmware update to 1018. And now I'm stuck with this.

Best regards,
Andrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 340 Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
I already tried full player reset and Smart Hub reset. It didn't help. No effect whatsoever.

Samsung support directed me to a hidden "Smart Hub Country code" setting, but that setting reported exactly the same "Error is detected from the information obtained from server" error after trying to populate the country list.

The player was already acting up yesterday with 1017 firmware. Amazon app refused to start. VUDU app refused to start. This was the reason I did a full reset and firmware update to 1018. And now I'm stuck with this.
And let me guess, its now out of warranty? Either replace it or see if it still works as a BD/DVD player and get a Roku for the apps. That is what my brother did when his F5900 stopped working, he just pulled the old Panasonic BD/DVD player out of the closet (its still not ever used) and got himself a Roku 3. He couldn't be any happier now, lol. I am now using his F5900 on firmware 1018 and it works for me just fine so far. I only use Netflix and Plex though. Plex also does not want to start, I have to click the launch/select button 4 or 5 times to get it to start the app.
post #333 of 340 Old 12-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Either replace it or see if it still works as a BD/DVD player and get a Roku for the apps.
I want to play local DLNA content and don't take seriously any players that require Plex for that. (Which is why I don't see any meaningful use for Roku). F5900 is exceptionally good with DLNA content, but I also have WDTV Live for that. F5900 was mostly used for Amazon and physical discs.

If I'll need something to cover Amazon, I'll probably get their Fire TV.

Best regards,
Andrey
post #334 of 340 Old 12-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Short version:
I owe Plex for the peace and quiet life they gave me, so I must say I LOVE Plex just for that alone. lol

Longer version: This is not meant to try and start an argument, this is simply our experience in the friendliest way I can say it.

My two WDTV Live's (SMP versions) were also VERY good with DLNA, probably the best DLNA device I ever found (Not counting MPC-HC or VLC on a HTPC), but it don't hold a candle to Plex Media Server, night and day difference for us here. Plex IS the single best investment to media sharing and playback this family ever did, hands down. A million times better then DLNA, for us anyway. And the Roku 3's user experience when compared to our WDTV's, well LOL is not even in the same league. Granted I found the WDTV UI to be slightly nicer looking, but that's where the Pro's ends for me (and I dealt with WDTV devices for 5 years). And all I had to do was install Plex on the media server, for free, really? This family instantly had beautiful, easy-to-navigate and easy to understand playback in every room of the house. 6 family members instantly happy with media playback, especially my Mom who never could figure out how to navigate the WDTV using DLNA even with her Live SMP setup as best I could. Each WDTV firmware just kept introducing bug after bug after freggin bug, and she would have to get up, yelling at me in the process of course, and remove power from it and power it back on and then wait and wait and wait for it to boot, and that was with two WDTV devices, her first one and the replacement with the same exact issues. Now she just hits the Plex button on the Harmony remote (no matter what the on/off condition is of the Roku) and bam all her TV shows and Movies just come to life in a beautiful format with all her metadata, cover art, movie Trailers, user ratings etc. It couldn't get any more flawlessly easy for her. Her exact words to me was "Son, why didn't you do this for me sooner". And all I could say was "I didn't realize just how amazingly easy the Plex world was Mom, sorry". Especially its trouble free Transcoding, which is amazing and years a head of its time. If I decide I want to rip a movie to its full Blu-ray size (which I rarely do), the Plex Transcoder will automatically make sure she gets the best possible playback quality regardless if the playback device supports it or not. AND not to mention, I can select ANY container format I want. 2014 has been the absolute least troubled year for media playback to date for us, all thanks to Plex. Lol, even my little brother Joshua a thousand miles away, on business trip, in a cheap Motel room was streaming a movie from my Plex server and he said he simply could not believe just how smooth and easy the process was using Plex. Took like 1 minute for him to figure it out and his Roku 3 played the entire movie flawlessly, from my home server in the remote rural desert of NM to a motel in Kansas City. REALLY? Lol, Plex is light years a head of DLNA... BY FAR!

Sadly, I put my Mother through two years of fighting with DLNA which is something a 67 year old, wonderful human being and a great Mother did not need or deserve. Wish I had discovered Plex sooner just for her alone as she "almost" went completely back to disk only usage thanks to horrid WDTV experience we had here. Anyway, I apologize for this but the ONLY reason we got this Samsung BD player, as apposed to say the LG (almost got that instead though) or another Panasonic, was solely because of its beautiful Plex app. Sadly, it has cinavia (which I was NOT aware of before hand) and "had" some sort of buffering issue (with earlier firmwares I assume) when my brother used it in 2013, so he would not put up with those problems. With Moms 1500+ DVD's and my 200+ DVD's, and a hundred or so combined BD disks, he was not willing to put up with the constant buffering issues this player gave him. My Mom and Brother Daryl are utterly addicted to bringing home new and used disks. My brother Daryl is a truck driver and is constantly looking at the collections you find in every truck stop. He has a short fuse with electronics though, lol so will not put up with a problem for more then a few hours tops, then he is off to the store to buy another device to replace it. I on the other hand have a HTPC next to my non-smart TV, on HDMI port #3 , so if something don't work on the F5900 (cinavia perhaps?), it most certainly will on my PC using Plex Home Theater. I do not need a smart device or TV myself, but I like having this F5900 for when my room gets to warm, I can then turn off the computer, turn on the little AC box, and only have the TV and BD player producing heat. My room is only 13' x 13' so it gets warm really quick here in central New Mexico, even in the winter.

Needless to say I sold all of our WDTV's, just way too much trouble, and too slow when working properly, and got rid of most of the old DVD and VHS players (yeah we have hundreds of those too, Mom will not get rid of them lol)... Only kept one Panasonic BD player (BD65), this Samsung F5900 and got Dad a Samsung Smart TV on Black Friday, and Mom a Roku 3 earlier this year, and all my siblings have the R3 as well (except for me). My brother Mike streams from my server on his Comcast internet but he is only 14 miles away and only streams 720p (I make sure of that). At any rate, the Family is FINALLY enjoying media the way it should have been from the beginning...

Oh, and not sure what you meant by "I want to play local DLNA content and don't take seriously any players that require Plex for that."??? The Roku Media Player plays back DLNA just fine, so Plex is not required. Plex is an app and that is a user choice to install and has never been required. All DLNA devices on planet earth need to have a DLNA player, regardless if its a Plex app or not. Our Roku's all playback DLNA perfectly over both Ethernet and WIFI from my DLNA enabled WHS2011 server, with or without Plex installed.

Anyway, please forgive me for this long version, LOL, but Plex has made MY life MUCH better because now my name is no longer yelled out almost everyday of the year to fix DLNA issues. I owe Plex for that peace and quiet they gave me. Now any maintenance I do is on my terms and my schedule...

Don't know if there will be a DLNA v2, but this family will not be going back to it any time soon. Haha
post #335 of 340 Old 12-12-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, and not sure what you meant by [B]"I want to play local DLNA content and don't take seriously any players that require Plex for that."
Firstly, I had Roku 3 for a while and had to return it back. While it formally supports DLNA, the native codec support in Roku 3's DLNA player is virtually non-existent. It simply cannot play the content I have on my DLNA server, either failing to render the video stream or refusing to recognize the audio. And my content is not exotic at all: any Samsung BR player handles it easily, not even mentioning WDTV.

Secondly, I want to see my high definition content in high quality. When I ran in through Plex on Roku 3, the quality loss caused by transcoding was quite noticeable. This is why I don't seriously consider Plex-based solutions and insist on native DLNA playback.

BTW, returning to my original topic, this evening I turned on my F5900 and it suddenly accessed the EULA page without any problems and then set up the Smart Hub apps. I suspect that the issue was actually with some Samsung server, not on my end.

Best regards,
Andrey
post #336 of 340 Old 12-13-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
BTW, returning to my original topic, this evening I turned on my F5900 and it suddenly accessed the EULA page without any problems and then set up the Smart Hub apps. I suspect that the issue was actually with some Samsung server, not on my end.
I was going to observe that the issue sounds like a connection/ISP/web problem to me. Just curious, did you try connecting to your router with a hard wire? I've had issues where everything says it's connected and working, even though it isn't.
post #337 of 340 Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post
I was going to observe that the issue sounds like a connection/ISP/web problem to me. Just curious, did you try connecting to your router with a hard wire? I've had issues where everything says it's connected and working, even though it isn't.
I'm using Ethernet cable to connect my F5900, not WiFi. Of course, the first thing I tested is the availability of Internet access. The Network Test page in F5900 said that everything was fine. Moreover, the F5900 has a built-in Web browser, which is not a part of Smart Hub. I.e. the Web browser was available to me all this time. And it worked perfectly: I could browse Internet from my F5900 without any issues. In other words, my connection was working perfectly fine.

The only thing that didn't work is the EULA retrieval, which required access to Samsung's servers.

Best regards,
Andrey
post #338 of 340 Old 12-16-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help getting 3D through a non-3D receiver

hello everyone. I have a Sony system, STR-Sk370. As far as I know, it does not support 3D. Sony has been none too helpful as their customer service know nothing about this model.
I have the Samsung bd-f5900 and a Samsung UN60h7150 TV.
When I put in a 3d disc, the message pops up that no 3d source is available. I can run straight HDMI to my TV and watch a 3D movie using the TV speakers as sound, but this is awful. Haha.

The Samsung 3D player only has one HDMI, then an optical out that looks more S/pdif. Definitely not optical (toslink).

1. Is there anyway I can get 3D to work through my Sony receiver, and 2. If not how can I still get surround sound being that the blu-Ray player doesn't have the same optical as my receiver?
Thanks for any help!

Paul
post #339 of 340 Old 12-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 159
1. You answered your own question. Your receiver does not support 3D, so you will not be able to send 3D through your receiver from the BD player to the TV.

2. The F5900 has a standard optical output. I do not know what your receiver is. You should be able to run an optical cable from the player to your receiver. You will be limited to standard (Lossy) Dolby Digital and DTS. Lossless audio TrueHD/DTS-MA can only be carried over optical/coax in 2 channel PCM.

Options are above, a new receiver, or a BD player with dual HDMI out.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #340 of 340 Old Today, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Netflix Dolby 5.1 issue

Question for Samsung F series BD player owners:
Does your BD player suffer from the Netflix Dolby Plus 5.1 issue? Many Samsung smart TVs, BD players as well as other manufactures have been affected. You are only able to stream 2 ch from Netflix. If you pause a movie, the audio drop down will only show 2 ch as the available option.

http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-rem...ung-tvs-73052/
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd F5900 3d Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - F5900 by PriceGrabber.com