Samsung BD-F5900 Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #31 of 345 Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just bought one of these myself. So far I like it, but still trying to get used to that remote. Seems clumsy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 345 Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Samsung BD-F5900 off Amazon last month. It was a refurb, open box item... I have purchased refurbished products before and never had any issues, but here I am stumped and in a pickle over getting Netflix to work. Essentially, someone had associated a Netflix account to this player, when I start the Netlix app it takes me to a reactivation screen, all it says is "Welcome Back" and it has some other persons name, email and cc info. It won't allow me to change it, I have tried the up, down, left right code thing, I tried editing the info within the app, I tried resetting Smart Hub and I tried resetting it all back to factory. Nothing worked, it still has another persons name in here and it won't open up fresh to allow me to put my own account ID and password or start a new one. I have no idea what to do, I have searched the web far and wide, would assume this thing must happen to people occasionally who buy a player used or refurbished. Is there a master reset or something else that will wipe the Netflix data? It is a recommended app so it won't allow me to delete it. When I reset it to factory all it did was wipe all my other downloaded apps. And when I reset the Smart Hub all my other linked accounts (e.g. Amazon, Pandora, Facebook, etc.) I ended up losing their login, just not Netflix. It thinks I am an old member who canceled and wants me to reactivate, it does allow me to edit but only put a new credit card number, exp. date and 3 digit code in... but the name and email is not mine and I can't edit that frown.gif This is crazy, can anyone please help me here to get this to work?
post #33 of 345 Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Please use this thread for your questions.

Thank you.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #34 of 345 Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 863
First try a software reset. If that doesn't work then I recommend you return it to whomever sold it to you.
post #35 of 345 Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 AM

Picked up one of the Samsung bd-f5900 bluray players last night with the avengers bluray. I did immediately notice that the disc noise was noticably loud, which others have confirmed on this forum. My issue is my Harman Kardon AVR2650 shows that it is getting PCM Multi Channel from the player and playing that sound, but the Samsung player and the movie says the format is Dolby HD-Master Audio. Are these equivilant? I guess I was just expecting it to tell me Dolby 5.1. The bluray player is connected to the avr2650 through hdmi, and the avr2650 is connected to a samsung 7100 by hdmi.
post #36 of 345 Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Both are lossless, so they should be equivalent. There should be a setting in the player to make it pass through the audio for decoding by the AVR.
post #37 of 345 Old 08-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Set your player to bitstream. Glad they got rid of calling it audiophile or something like that.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #38 of 345 Old 08-18-2013, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just bought this player ad everything is fine except wen I stream Netflix or vudu there are black frame around full screen content and also black bars on sides of letterbox content. I'm using a benq w1070 . I haw tried every setting on bot devices and it won't go away. Blurays play fine though. Anyone have tis issue?

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #39 of 345 Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM

I'm considering buying this unit. Is there a hack to make it region free?
post #40 of 345 Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Does the 5900 do the different HD formats? Especially WMV HD and AVI HD? I just sent my LG 390 & LG 690 to Amazon for trade-in money and am thinking about getting this one.
post #41 of 345 Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 AM

I just bought the Samsung BD-F5900, and while everything works for the most part my MKV movies are playing (streaming to) the player as X-MS-WMV in 4:3 format with downgrading the audio to stereo. Which is odd because on my other two BD players Panasonic BDT-220, and Sony BD-S590 all my MKV movies stream as MKV in the original 16:9 format with the proper audio such as DD, DTS, and etc) using the DLNA server.

Any one else had this DLNA server issue with the Samsung BD-F5900 playing back MKV as X-MS-WMV?

Thanks!
post #42 of 345 Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 AM

I found a work around to the issue by installing the Universal Media server and using it with the Samsung BD-F5900. The MKV's now play proper like the Panasonic, and Sony BD Players I own.
post #43 of 345 Old 09-11-2013, 02:23 PM

So I have searched all over to find a solution and yes I have found some things it seems like the misinformation out there outweighs the real info. So basically I am trying to find a viable solution for watching various content saved on a hard drive. MKV, AVI, MPEG, Ect and it seems like my audio is always getting turned off.

What are my solution options?
post #44 of 345 Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM

BUMP for info!
post #45 of 345 Old 09-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Morning bump
post #46 of 345 Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 PM

You might have better luck posting in a different forum.
Try asking your question in the "Blu-ray" Players forum.

This forum is exclusively for DUAL Format Players...namely ones that play BOTH Blu-ray and HD DVD discs.

Only the LG BH100, LG BH200, and the Samsung BD-UP5000 are covered in this forum.
post #47 of 345 Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM

Web Browser: I'm interested in this player for a number of reasons, and considering the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 or 220 also. One big question is the Samsung web browser, for the flash compatibility. I wondered if this is at all useful for getting web video on the TV, such as Hulu free programming. I understand navigation might be a pain, but I also wonder about whether sites can block this device from displaying content via its browser. Also, how does video quality compare to connecting a laptop to the TV, for instance?
post #48 of 345 Old 09-19-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I suspect they're all like that. Before trying the Samsung, I went through three Sony S5100s, two from Amazon, and the renumbered model from Sam's, and all emitted a horrible loud whine when spinning a disk. The one from Sam's was a tiny bit better but still very bad. The Samsung is possibly worse than all of them. I thought the constant din I was hearing was partly due to crickets chirping late tonight, but no, it was all the F5900. These things are ridiculous. I thought my Sony BDP-S350 from 2008 was noisy with its fan, but it was mostly loud white noise, without the high-pitched piercing whine these new fanless players make at all times when playing a disc. The only thing that breaks up the monotony is the even louder sounds the drives make when seeking.

This F5900 also doesn't like to recognize discs once inserted. Out of five discs I've tried so far, I've had to re-open and close the tray before it would play two of them. On the plus side, these new players are hugely faster at disc operations than my old S350. Too bad the drives are such noisy junk. Well, this F5900 is going back. I'll try one more sample, but I'm not hopeful.

I just purchased the BD-F5900. Playing a BR the unit produces the noisy hiss / constant screech. It is worse than an old VCR. A DVD is quieter, but still too loud.
Too bad. It plays well with my Samsung TV. I have 30 days until I have to return it, so I will continue to look.
I don't understand why my Liteon BR reader in my PC is so much quieter.
So $120 is just junk. Looks will move up a price point.
post #49 of 345 Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdzxc57 View Post

I just purchased the BD-F5900. Playing a BR the unit produces the noisy hiss / constant screech. It is worse than an old VCR. A DVD is quieter, but still too loud.
Too bad. It plays well with my Samsung TV. I have 30 days until I have to return it, so I will continue to look.
I don't understand why my Liteon BR reader in my PC is so much quieter.
So $120 is just junk. Looks will move up a price point.
Return if you can. Mine is quiet and that does not sound like that at all.
post #50 of 345 Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Greetings,

I'm looking at buying the BD-F5900 because it looks like the least expensive BluRay player that will also run Plex. Can anyone comment on the Plexapp for this and how well it works? I'd love to avoid getting another 'box' like a Roku just to run Plex in addition to a BluRay player. I would be pairing this with a Vizio M471i-a2.

Thank you.

Canyon
post #51 of 345 Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

I just bought this player ad everything is fine except wen I stream Netflix or vudu there are black frame around full screen content and also black bars on sides of letterbox content. I'm using a benq w1070 . I haw tried every setting on bot devices and it won't go away. Blurays play fine though. Anyone have tis issue?

deez,
Did you ever find an answer for this? I was playing around with Netflix today and have same problem.

mark
post #52 of 345 Old 10-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

deez,
Did you ever find an answer for this? I was playing around with Netflix today and have same problem.

mark

I think I got it changed Smart Hub Screen Size from 3 to 4.

mark
post #53 of 345 Old 10-26-2013, 12:13 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For the historical record, as of today, I cannot get Vudu or Netflix to stream 3D to this. I've heard some folks have had luck with other Samsung models, but so far, no love.

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #54 of 345 Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am looking for a player that has a few features please. Does the Samsung BD-F5900 support the below?

1. Does this support Netflix profiles? If so, how is the Netflix performance?
2. Does this have YouTube streaming?
3. Does this have reliable Wireless-N?
4. Does this have Ethernet port if wifi is not reliable?
5. Does this have optical out?
6. Can this play media, mkv, mp4 etc from the USB port using a flash drive? Or is it only from DLNA server? Plex?
7. How is the performance of playing a MKV file from a DLNA server? Does the Plex app improve its performance any?

Thank you. I am needing to find something for my little brother who wants to connect his bedroom TV (Samsung 42" 720p) to his Netflix profile from my Netflix account. So, it must support profiles. His current Panasonic DMP-BD65 does not work any more because Netflix broke it when they upgraded to Profile support. I see Samsung just upgraded the firmware recently on this player. Does that mean it now supports profiles?

Again Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Regards
post #55 of 345 Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

I am looking for a player that has a few features please. Does the Samsung BD-F5900 support the below?

1. Does this support Netflix profiles? If so, how is the Netflix performance?
Yes. Seems fine.
Quote:
2. Does this have YouTube streaming?
yes
Quote:
3. Does this have reliable Wireless-N?
yes reliable wifi, not sure what band i'm using. I have an N router.
Quote:
4. Does this have Ethernet port if wifi is not reliable?
yes
Quote:
5. Does this have optical out?
no idea, i use HDMI, check the manual
Quote:
6. Can this play media, mkv, mp4 etc from the USB port using a flash drive? Or is it only from DLNA server? Plex?
no idea, i use DLNA. Have plex but haven't connected to this.
Quote:
7. How is the performance of playing a MKV file from a DLNA server? Does the Plex app improve its performance any?
I really dislike its DLNA implementation, too confusing, UI sucks. I have another extender so I just use that for.
SkOrPn likes this.

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #56 of 345 Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you for your input on your experience IVB, I really appreciate that.

The number one most important feature my brother is looking for is the ability to play MKV either from flash drive or from our WHS 2011 server. Number two is Netflix with profile support. I read a user review at Samsung who said it does NOT have Profile support. Can you confirm that you can select different profiles at the start of the Netflix app please?

Also, I can install Plex server on the whs machine and then install plex app onto this player, but the machine has had a recent firmware upgrade which could hold good or bad news. Is there firmware release notes one can look at for this machine? Want to make sure the plex feature was not removed and what they improved if anything.

Yeah DLNA sounds like crap on this machine. He is not able to deal with confusing stuff which is why I am here doing the research for him, lol... All he can be taught to do is push the appropriate buttons on his harmony remote, that's about it though.

Anyone else have opinions on their Samsung BD-F5900 performance? Trying to turn his Samsung LN-T3253H into a Smart TV setup.
post #57 of 345 Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quick question.

The Samsung REP just told me this comes with the new Samsung 2013 Smart HUB. Is that true? Is that only with the August 5th update or are there several model revisions to this machine? A few Amazon reviews seem to say this only comes with the 2012 SmartHUB, but the rep at Samsung said it has their latest version of SmartHUB. Now I am not sure who to believe... Thanks
post #58 of 345 Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Could someone tell me if the Costco version, the BD-FM59C, has the FIOS app available?

Thanks.
post #59 of 345 Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

Could someone tell me if the Costco version, the BD-FM59C, has the FIOS app available?

Thanks.
After two weeks no one ever answered my very simple question, and your question seems even more unlikely to be answered, lol... I wonder if this model is not as popular as is believed or is there something else under $200 that I am not seeing on the market that must be better? How much did that Costco FM59C put you back?
post #60 of 345 Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

How much did that Costco FM59C put you back?

Have not bought it yet, that's why I'm asking.

Just saw the Costco Black Friday ad, actually good for the entire week. It will for $30 off so should be $90
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd F5900 3d Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - F5900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page