post #61 of 340 Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

Have not bought it yet, that's why I'm asking.

Just saw the Costco Black Friday ad, actually good for the entire week. It will for $30 off so should be $90
How did you figure out it is the same model as the F5900? I ask because it is time for my brother to hit the buy now button, and I am still not sure he needs this or a WDTV SMP player. I am leaning towards this player for the plex app, but I have about 13-14 years of DVD and BD rips that I am worried might someday not play on this unit. I also like this players UI better than that of the WDTV. However, he rarely plays DVD's any more and does not own any BD himself and I will not loan him any of mine lol. If he wants to see something I have than he will get a rip from me on a flash drive and I am not sure this player is the best for that purposes. Also online content must be up to date, but does not need to have lots of channels/apps just because he is only interested in Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and possibly Plex and Pandora (which I doubt will get used). If the Plex app on this unit see's 100% of the Home Servers video content, that would be a HUGE plus because it would save me time having to transfer files onto a USB drive as he has no clue how to do that stuff and has no interest in learning it.

The only Negative about the WDTV is that it has no analog outs and I would need that in order to connect to his speakers, which I just realized neither does this player, lol..... Seems the big brother of this unit would solve all my problems but introduce a possible Cinavia problem. Man what to do....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 340 Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

How did you figure out it is the same model as the F5900?

It's mentioned in this thread.

It's the reason I asked my original question, the F5900 is supposed to have the FIOS app.
post #63 of 340 Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

It's mentioned in this thread.

It's the reason I asked my original question, the F5900 is supposed to have the FIOS app.
Hmm, do some Samsung Smart devices not have certain apps? For example can this device not have the FiOS app yet its bigger brother the F7900 would have it? Everything is telling me to get the WDTV, but it does not have a good or easy Plex solution like this Samsung player does.
post #64 of 340 Old 11-17-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Best Buy will have the Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-ray player on sale for $87.99 during Black Friday. See their ad here: http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Best-Buy/Ad?page=7#viewer

Meanwhile, Wal-Mart Best Buy will have tons of Blu-ray movies on sale for $3.96 $3.99 each. http://www.walmart.com/cp/3.96/1161893 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/3-99-blu-rays-black-friday-sale-2013
post #65 of 340 Old 11-18-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10

I'm kind of new to the HTPC type of stuff but I have three BD-F5900 units wired to a 1GB network.  I have a PC's, but one in particular I am sharing media from.  I have a Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime 3 tuner cable thingy plugged into the network.  Now on the PC, I am running Windows Media Center, (wmc), and I can view the channels on the PC just fine.  WMC has a nice channel guide and displays the cable channels fine.  But I want to view this from the BD-F5900 unit if possible.  Currently the only way I can view the homerun channels is by going into photos/video/music and choosing all media, then navigating to the cable folder and choosing a single channel, (not really a guide and not wmc).  Is there a way to share wmc so I can use it similar to how it works on the PC on the BD-F5900?

post #66 of 340 Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 PM

I was a happy owner of a BD-F5900 until earlier this evening. I'm pissed, now. I bought the unit in September after I closed escrow on my new house, along with my Onkyo AVR. I didn't have it set-up until mid-October (the player and the TV, haven't received my speakers yet for the AVR).

It just died out of nowhere and, of course, I can't get a hold of Samsung tech support. I doubt the retailer would take it back, since I got rid of the box (this is the first time I've ever had a piece of equipment just croak on me, I still have the Betamax my parents bought when I was like 3).

No, it's not a firmware update, I updated it when I took it out of the box and I checked their website, it had the last update (released August 5th, updated when I un-boxed it in October). I've only been using it for three, maybe four weeks, light usage since I haven't even fully set-up my HT system, yet. As in, using it to watch netflix maybe three/four nights a week.

I am starting to wonder if maybe upgrading my router to the Netgear Nighthawk and running it off of the 5GHZ channel had something to do with it? That was the only thing I know that has changed.

Either way, it smells like burnt Ozone/electrical fire, kaputz, done, gone, $120 flushed down the toilet. Funny, because other Samsung equipment I have seems solid (Galaxy series phone/tablet/phablets), so I was confident in my purchase. Hopefully they'll send me another unit and it'll just turn out to be I got a lemon as a matter of luck and that other users here will have long and lasting relationships with their BD players. Mine left me out in the cold without any Netflix or Man of Steel to watch. :(

post #67 of 340 Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Datsun240Z View Post

I was a happy owner of a BD-F5900 until earlier this evening. I'm pissed, now. I bought the unit in September after I closed escrow on my new house, along with my Onkyo AVR. I didn't have it set-up until mid-October (the player and the TV, haven't received my speakers yet for the AVR).

It just died out of nowhere and, of course, I can't get a hold of Samsung tech support. I doubt the retailer would take it back, since I got rid of the box (this is the first time I've ever had a piece of equipment just croak on me, I still have the Betamax my parents bought when I was like 3).

No, it's not a firmware update, I updated it when I took it out of the box and I checked their website, it had the last update (released August 5th, updated when I un-boxed it in October). I've only been using it for three, maybe four weeks, light usage since I haven't even fully set-up my HT system, yet. As in, using it to watch netflix maybe three/four nights a week.

I am starting to wonder if maybe upgrading my router to the Netgear Nighthawk and running it off of the 5GHZ channel had something to do with it? That was the only thing I know that has changed.

Either way, it smells like burnt Ozone/electrical fire, kaputz, done, gone, $120 flushed down the toilet. Funny, because other Samsung equipment I have seems solid (Galaxy series phone/tablet/phablets), so I was confident in my purchase. Hopefully they'll send me another unit and it'll just turn out to be I got a lemon as a matter of luck and that other users here will have long and lasting relationships with their BD players. Mine left me out in the cold without any Netflix or Man of Steel to watch. frown.gif

Your Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-ray player has a 12-month warranty. Take advantage of it. You get an extra 3 months of warranty if you register the product with Samsung. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-F5900/ZA
post #68 of 340 Old 11-24-2013, 10:45 PM

The Samsung BD-F5900 just dropped in price yesterday (Sunday). It's now $89.99 on the Samsung website and at Best Buy. It's $87.99 at Amazon.com and Wal-mart. The competing Sony BDP-S5100 also dropped to a similar price on Amazon.com recently.

I don't know if these new prices are temporary for the holiday season or permanent.
post #69 of 340 Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 PM

Liked: 14
Does anyone know if there's an easier way to clear the players cache besides unplugging it?

I have the current firmware, but after watching so many movies, the next one to go in doesn't load at all. If I unplug the player and plug it back in everything works fine. I'm guessing the cache isnt clearing itself out.
post #70 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Glad I found this thread. I picked this up (along with BD F5700) Monday at Target for $82.99 ($5.00 off coupon)

So far, it has been a great player.

Also has anybody try using the optical out to the receiver?
post #71 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John16v View Post

Glad I found this thread. I picked this up (along with BD F5700) Monday at Target for $82.99 ($5.00 off coupon)

So far, it has been a great player.

Also has anybody try using the optical out to the receiver?

I got mine from Target months back.....because of the optical audio. I know at Best Buy theirs had coaxial audio. The optical audio works great with my old Sony receiver.
post #72 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice247 View Post

I got mine from Target months back.....because of the optical audio. I know at Best Buy theirs had coaxial audio. The optical audio works great with my old Sony receiver.

Thanks! smile.gif

Yeah, we got the BF-F5700 which have that coaxial audio out and plan to use that in the bedroom. Since the receiver have both coaxial and optical, I'm trying to see which is better to use in the living room.
post #73 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Yeah, we got the BF-F5700 which have that coaxial audio out and plan to use that in the bedroom. Since the receiver have both coaxial and optical, I'm trying to see which is better to use in the living room.

They both carry S/PDIF and work the same. Optical is the more common these days, with just about every TV providing an optical out, and computer motherboards that have S/PDIF output usually have an optical port. I would use one or the other depending on what cables I have lying around and what I anticipate future needs to be.
post #74 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I have trouble believing that for the same make & model of Blu-ray player that the digital audio output jack differs at different retailers. Perhaps you were looking at two slightly different Samsung players, e.g. F5900 vs F5700?
post #75 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Since the receiver have both coaxial and optical, I'm trying to see which is better to use in the living room.

Because they are both S/PDIF, there will be no difference unless you have severe electromagnetic interference problems (e.g. too many power cords near your AV cables), in which case optical would be better.
post #76 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

I have trouble believing that for the same make & model of Blu-ray player that the digital audio output jack differs at different retailers. Perhaps you were looking at two slightly different Samsung players, e.g. F5900 vs F5700?

Its not unusual for different stores to carry the same model with slight variations. Usually the model number is the same however is followed by numbers or letters just like if you bought from a store vs a place like Sams Club or Costco. Best Buy had the variation model with coaxial audio which I saw in the store. Now they are only selling the one with optical as the coaxial one is no longer available through them. That was the only difference though between the 2.

James Parsons likes this.
post #77 of 340 Old 11-28-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:

Its not unusual for different stores to carry the same model with slight variations. Usually the model number is the same however is followed by numbers or letters just like if you bought from a store vs a place like Sams Club or Costco. Best Buy had the variation model with coaxial audio which I saw in the store. Now they are only selling the one with optical as the coaxial one is no longer available through them. That was the only difference though between the 2.

Well, that image is definitely too wide to be the BD-F5700. Here's the image currently shown on the BB site. Notice the physical dimensions are the same, but the HDMI jack is in a different spot.

post #78 of 340 Old 11-28-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

Well, that image is definitely too wide to be the BD-F5700. Here's the image currently shown on the BB site. Notice the physical dimensions are the same, but the HDMI jack is in a different spot.

The image isnt the 5700. Its the 5900 variant.
Heres a screen shot of the original BB page for it which is no longer available.

There was a review of the coaxial version as well. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/samsung-bd-f5900-blu-ray-player/all-pages.html

I remember when I got my old Sony blu ray player years ago one store had a shiny version of the outter case while everyone else had matte.
post #79 of 340 Old 11-29-2013, 05:29 PM

I just bought a Samsung BDF5900, and it took me through the setup to the part where I connect to the internet.  I use a wireless router/modem combo unit from TIme Warner.  The blue ray player found my router and I clicked on it, a keyboard came up for me to enter my password.  The problem is:  I cannot click the "done" button as it is greyed out!  I can type my password, But the done button is greyed out so i cannot submit it!  What is wrong?  The customer service in INDIA cant figure it out.  They said it cant be the firewall because its finding my router, and I tried a hard reset already.  If you guys have nothing, I will have to take it back.

post #80 of 340 Old 11-30-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTOSKY View Post

I just bought a Samsung BDF5900, and it took me through the setup to the part where I connect to the internet.  I use a wireless router/modem combo unit from TIme Warner.  The blue ray player found my router and I clicked on it, a keyboard came up for me to enter my password.  The problem is:  I cannot click the "done" button as it is greyed out!  I can type my password, But the done button is greyed out so i cannot submit it!  What is wrong?  The customer service in INDIA cant figure it out.  They said it cant be the firewall because its finding my router, and I tried a hard reset already.  If you guys have nothing, I will have to take it back.

I don't have this Blu-ray player (yet) so I can't walk myself through the steps to see what you're seeing. But, usually a greyed out Submit (or Done) button means you've forgotten something. Is there another field you need to fill out, too? Or is there a checkbox you need to check?

UPDATE: How long is your password? I just tested by trying to connect to a nearby network with my iPad. Until I entered the minimum number of characters (8 in this case) the Done button remained greyed out. Try just randomly entering characters until the Done button stops being greyed out. Then count how many characters the Blu-ray player insists your network password must have. You will probably just have to change your network password to something that is more secure.

If having a password that's too short is the problem, don't be mad at the Blu-ray player. Short passwords are very easy to crack. Your Blu-ray player is doing you a favor.
post #81 of 340 Old 11-30-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:

The image isnt the 5700. Its the 5900 variant.

That's what I was trying to say. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that. I had previously speculated that you might be confusing the F5700 and the F5900, but your photo proved me wrong.
post #82 of 340 Old 12-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No Dolby Digital when viewing MKV files streamed from computer.

Hi all, I just got this player and was able to view PC videos via Samsung Link. The MKV files play fine, but I am only getting PCM audio. On my older Samsung 6900 via PC Share Manage I was able to listen in Dolby Digital. The MKV files are coded in Dolby Digital. The HDMI cable is going into my Yamaha receiver from the player.

"It's time to nut up or shut up."
post #83 of 340 Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Folks, Got a BD-5900 fom Target 11/30/13. No disc or drive noise when playing as some report here. Updated firmware. Everything seems fine.

For the person having wifi password issues, FYI I entered a 64 character key and she is good.

I'm just getting into Blu Ray and have a Blu Ray Burner for my PC on the way.

Can someone put me onto the best value on media. I'm getting sticker shock and have no idea how to shop smart for discs. Whats the best value for the money? Thanks!

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #84 of 340 Old 12-03-2013, 02:01 AM

FYI, CNET has rated this Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-ray player 4/5 stars, which equates to "excellent." By comparison, they rated the more popular Sony BDP-S5100 as 3.5/5 stars, which equates to "very good."
Quote:
The good: The Samsung BD-F5900 offers a wealth of features and incredibly speedy performance; suite of apps is very good and the interface is easy to use; image quality is as good if not better than that of similarly priced players.

The bad: CD ripping is slow and limited; some ever-so-slight issues with cadence; Quick Start mode uses almost as much electricity when off as when playing a disk.

The bottom line: The Samsung BD-F5900 is an excellent Blu-ray player with the right mix of usability, performance, and speed.
post #85 of 340 Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Liked: 11
So does thing stream 3D from Vudu or nextflix?

Rotting my brain one movie at a time!

Sony 55A3000

Sony 5100 BD

Mitsu 73837

post #86 of 340 Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Just purchased the Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-Ray player and the UN55F6300AF television. I'm not sharp with this stuff at all, so I have a question that is probably level 101 for most of you folks.
What is the recommended connection for the best picture quality when playing a disc? The old DVD player this is replacing used RCA jacks. I'm assuming those are old school at this point. Is HDMI from player to TV the way to go? Is the cable typically included with the player?
Thank you.
post #87 of 340 Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 159
To get 10080p video to go with your 6300, you must use HDMI. Enjoy.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #88 of 340 Old 12-05-2013, 04:42 AM

Thank you.
post #89 of 340 Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Well, my player lasted just one week. The blu ray player stopped reading discs yesterday. I exchanged for another one at Best Buy. Hopefully the second unit works better. eek.gif

"It's time to nut up or shut up."
post #90 of 340 Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone suggest me some webcam models that are best for this blu-ray player? I know it has Skype built in, and I'm looking for a solid web cam to tag a long with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-F5900-Wi-Fi-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00BFDHVAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386639336&sr=8-1&keywords=BD-F5900
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd F5900 3d Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - F5900 by PriceGrabber.com