Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 346 Old 12-15-2013, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ290 View Post

Just purchased the Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-Ray player and the UN55F6300AF television. I'm not sharp with this stuff at all, so I have a question that is probably level 101 for most of you folks.
What is the recommended connection for the best picture quality when playing a disc? The old DVD player this is replacing used RCA jacks. I'm assuming those are old school at this point. Is HDMI from player to TV the way to go? Is the cable typically included with the player?
Thank you.

It sounds like you bought it but haven't unboxed it yet. (I'm in the same boat.) Once you look at the back of the player it should be obvious that the only way to get video out of the player is to use HDMI. There's no other video out jack. Everything is HDMI these days, except pure audio which is either coaxial or optical.

Also, HDMI cable does not come with the player. Don't get screwed by retailers (like Best Buy) selling expensive HDMI cable. You can get AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI cable from Amazon.com for $5.79. A two-pack from Amazon costs only $9.99. The only downside is that Amazon now requires a $35 minimum purchase to get free shipping.

HDMI carries both the video and audio signal to your TV. The BD-F5900 also has an optical audio out jack, but that's only if you have a home theater receiver that doesn't accept HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 346 Old 12-15-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
James, once I took a look I saw that HDMI was the necessary connection.
Take a look at Monoprice for your cables. Best prices, fast shipping. www.monoprice.com
post #93 of 346 Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey guys quick question for anyone who may know the answer. I was testing my Netflix streaming quality today when I noticed my BD-F5900 is streaming at 5800 kbps (1920x1080) while connected to a 720p TV only. I have to assume this player is wasting bandwidth in this situation and the TV is downconverting the image to 720p. Does anyone know how to limit the BD-F5900 SmartHUB apps to 3000 kbps (720p) streams? This is disturbing to me that 2800 kbps is being wasted away like this.

Can this be fixed somehow? Thanks
post #94 of 346 Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking at a Samsung F5900 to go with a Samsung UN55FH6030 3D LED tv that we're getting for Christmas. I already bought a couple pairs of the 3D active glasses and picked up a few 3D Bluray movies but need a player. Can anyone share their experiences on the 3D capabilities of this player? Will it stream 3D content through its hub?
post #95 of 346 Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technut1054 View Post

I'm looking at a Samsung F5900 to go with a Samsung UN55FH6030 3D LED tv that we're getting for Christmas. I already bought a couple pairs of the 3D active glasses and picked up a few 3D Bluray movies but need a player. Can anyone share their experiences on the 3D capabilities of this player? Will it stream 3D content through its hub?

I know the Netflix App for the F5900 displays frame packed 3D. It was gone for awhile but now its back. But I would guess your new Samsung TV has the same App, mines a 2010 so they don't update.

mark
post #96 of 346 Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

I know the Netflix App for the F5900 displays frame packed 3D. It was gone for awhile but now its back. But I would guess your new Samsung TV has the same App, mines a 2010 so they don't update.

mark

My new Samsung TV isn't a Smart set, that's why I was asking about the BD-F5900 3D streaming features. So is Framed Packed 3D a streaming signal that you would get online from Netflicks or some other 3D provider? Are there any 3D user discussion that review in the performance of the BD-F5900 and/or how to optomize its 3D features?
post #97 of 346 Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technut1054 View Post

My new Samsung TV isn't a Smart set, that's why I was asking about the BD-F5900 3D streaming features. So is Framed Packed 3D a streaming signal that you would get online from Netflicks or some other 3D provider? Are there any 3D user discussion that review in the performance of the BD-F5900 and/or how to optomize its 3D features?

Frame Packed is what used on Bluray 3D. Netflix uses this, also some movies on Vudu (Buy or Rent) use Frame Packing. There other 3D apps on Samsung f5900 but I havn't used them. Don't know of any other threads on f5900 3D.

mark
post #98 of 346 Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Frame Packed is what used on Bluray 3D. Netflix uses this, also some movies on Vudu (Buy or Rent) use Frame Packing. There other 3D apps on Samsung f5900 but I havn't used them. Don't know of any other threads on f5900 3D.

mark
Mark, thanks for the quick responses. I went ahead and ordered the 5900 so I'll probably be camping out in this forum from here on smile.gif
post #99 of 346 Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anettis View Post

I was considering getting two of these to replace my existing but somewhat dated Samsung BR players (BD-P2550). One of my BR players is hooked directly to a Samsung LCD while the other is hooked through an Onkyo 806 to a Samsung DLP. I frequently use Pandora and Netfilx.

In its day the BD-P2550 was a solid performer and was an early supporter of Pandora, Netflix, and DTS-HD Master Audio. But at this point it's Netflix client is missing newer features i.e. support for 1080p, subtitles, alternate audio, and 5.1 surround sound. It also appears to me that Netflix has gotten less stable over time as both units occasionally have an issue with sound without picture when staring a Netflix stream. This eventually clears up via recycling or reinserting a HDMI cable, but it can be a hassle. Plus the newer players tend to be faster loading and include newer features such as content sharing from the network (DLNA). In any event I have gotten a number of years out of these players and feel it is a good time to upgrade.

I like the feature set of the Samsung BD-F5900 but don't see much in the way of reviews. I am hoping some fellow AVS members may have experience with this model and can thus pass on some valuable feedback.

I also recently picked up a BD-F5900 new at Amazon for $89 (for my brother). The BD PQ seems the same as my previous bd players, but its Netflix and Hulu+ seems much nicer than I was expecting. It is connected on a Samsung 720p TV that was the best 720p LCD panel they made at the time (2007 I think), so maybe it is because the streaming is at 5800 kbps and being downconverted to 720p that makes it look so good. Not sure yet as we only had it about two weeks now, but so far it is a very very fast machine at the same prices as the media players. The speed alone blows every media player I have ever tried out of the water, including the buggy Roku 3.

I do not have one on my 55" Sony yet, but I am going to sell my Panasonic BD player and get one of these Samsungs for sure, thanks to the trial-period I am afforded by my brother haha. Its hard to believe they can put these out at this price tag.
post #100 of 346 Old 12-19-2013, 08:42 PM

Technically I'm not the most expert tool in the shed. I could use a little direction here. In the tools menu apparently is a choice of picture mode settings, the usual suspects, dynamic, standard, movie, and user. This seems like a really bad idea since I thought the player puts out a standard issue video signal and we the users optimize the picture quality in the display. Then we must have cascading picture settings complicating things. First, I never heard of this in a blu ray player though I never had one incredibly. Two, if it's a matter of consequence how come I can't find any mention of it anywhere? What is this thing and should I go in there and choose a setting?
post #101 of 346 Old 12-20-2013, 04:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolly View Post

Technically I'm not the most expert tool in the shed. I could use a little direction here. In the tools menu apparently is a choice of picture mode settings, the usual suspects, dynamic, standard, movie, and user. This seems like a really bad idea since I thought the player puts out a standard issue video signal and we the users optimize the picture quality in the display. Then we must have cascading picture settings complicating things. First, I never heard of this in a blu ray player though I never had one incredibly. Two, if it's a matter of consequence how come I can't find any mention of it anywhere? What is this thing and should I go in there and choose a setting?

I think those settings are there for people who don't have many picture options choices on their tv's. If you have a tv that has all of the picture options and set the way you like it or calibrated then there's no reason to use any of them on the player because it will make things look different and in most cases a lot worse.
post #102 of 346 Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
May be a kind of dumb question but I have an Onkyo TX-SR800 AVR (Purchased New in 2002) and have been using the BD-F9500 for a while enjoying great audio and just realized I had the players Audio setting set to allow it to re-encode. I put it to unprocessed and it seemed as good or unchanged.
I take it I should disable this to leave the encoding to the Onkyo AVR.

Thanks

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #103 of 346 Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Anyone here using a wireless keyboard and mouse with this unit? If so, what brand, model?
post #104 of 346 Old 12-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

New Firmware version 1014.1 was just released. No idea what has been changed or why.

Anyone else getting audio cutout within Netflix on the TV show Family Guy? My brother is getting constant audio drop outs on almost every episode and I just spent hours trying to figure out why and I cant seem to figure it out. He noticed it when he started Season 11 ep 1, but I confirmed its happening on every episode of that show. I tried multiple cables, multiple formats, even tried passing audio via hdmi to the tv and then using the optical (and analog outs) TV audio out to the receiver, and it still drops audio randomly no matter how I send the audio or what speaker system I use TV or Receiver. However, when I change to a different show it is working just fine. But when I playback the same exact episodes onto my Windows 8.1 computer audio is just fine. I can't seem to find any reports of audio drop outs on this player, so I am at a loss. Its like the BD-F5900 does not like that particular TV show (and I do not blame it, I can't stand it myself)

Any ideas? Can someone confirm that this player can not play back audio properly on that show please?
post #105 of 346 Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 View Post

Anyone here using a wireless keyboard and mouse with this unit? If so, what brand, model?

No, but thanks for letting me know it is possible. I just happen to have a spare wireless mini keyboard on hand.
post #106 of 346 Old 12-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Well looks like i found an incompatibility with this machine. It is incapable of handling a 5.1 stream from Netflix on the show Family Guy (makes me wonder how many other shows and movies are incompatible with this machine). I spent several hours on the phone with Netflix tech support and they came to the same conclusion and told me they are elevating this error to their engineers. The sound cutouts are on both firmware 1013 and 1014.

Wish I had another identical machine so I could test to see if it is also affected, then I would know whether to take this back to the store and get another one. But I don't, so I will have to wait for Samsung and Netflix to try and replicate it...
post #107 of 346 Old 12-23-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 View Post

Not yet, but I ordered one from Staples (Logitech Wireless Combo MK270) for $20 this morning and will let you know how it works when it comes in.
post #108 of 346 Old 12-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone please confirm that "Family Guy" does not work correctly on this device? Only need about 10 minutes of streaming before the audio starts to cutout, and it continues until there is no audio at all. Samsung support does not believe me and Netflix has confirmed something is wrong with this player or just mine. So is it just me? Or is this all of you guys to?

Thanks
post #109 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

Can someone please confirm that "Family Guy" does not work correctly on this device? Only need about 10 minutes of streaming before the audio starts to cutout, and it continues until there is no audio at all. Samsung support does not believe me and Netflix has confirmed something is wrong with this player or just mine. So is it just me? Or is this all of you guys to?

Thanks

Just watched "Family Guy" S01 E01 no audio drop outs. I watched the whole episode no problems.

mark
SkOrPn likes this.
post #110 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just watched "Family Guy" S01 E01 no audio drop outs. I watched the whole episode no problems.

mark
Hmm, excellent... Now would you be really kind to check out Season 11 episode 1 please? lol, I will replace it if the audio does not cutout on you during that episode. I've checked several times now and I get get more than ten minutes at most into the ep before audio starts to disappear. Thanks man
post #111 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm, excellent... Now would you be really kind to check out Season 11 episode 1 please? lol, I will replace it if the audio does not cutout on you during that episode. I've checked several times now and I get get more than ten minutes at most into the ep before audio starts to disappear. Thanks man

I'll check it out but that bluray player is hooked up to my projector and I just turned it off. I'll do it tomarrow sometime.

mark

Question, does it do it on just that episode or all episodes like S01 E01?
post #112 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'll check it out but that bluray player is hooked up to my projector and I just turned it off. I'll do it tomarrow sometime.

mark

Question, does it do it on just that episode or all episodes like S01 E01?
I only managed to go back as far as season 10 episode 1, and every episode seems to be the same. Netflix had me do all kinds of tests with no resolve and Samsung had me reset the player back to stock also to no affect. I've tried two different firmware versions as well. On all the other devices in the house those same episodes work just fine, just not on the bd-F5900. I am now at a complete loss of what to make of it.

I recommended this player to my brother and he is a huge family guy fan. I think I will try season 1 really quick. Thanks Mark

Rod

EDIT: Yes, it is doing it on season 1 ep 1, and I jumped to season 5 ep 1 and it is also doing it there. Could this be a wifi transmission problem even though I am getting 4 bars and the test stream is constantly at 5800 kbps? We have not had this problem on any other show so far, so its difficult for me to believe its a wifi problem. Maybe I will move it to a ethernet connection and check it again.
post #113 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Hello and Merry Christmas!

1st post here...

I did a search but didn't see anything specific so hopefully someone can answer.

My brand new BD-F5900 randomly crashes and reboots while using apps. Used it today for no more than 2-3 hours and it rebooted twice. It did it in YouTube app, and also while simply browsing through apps.

Is this normal for this player or should I get a replacement? It's still withing Amazon's 30-day return period.

Thanks in advance!

post #114 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kay View Post

Hello and Merry Christmas!

1st post here...

I did a search but didn't see anything specific so hopefully someone can answer.

My brand new BD-F5900 randomly crashes and reboots while using apps. Used it today for no more than 2-3 hours and it rebooted twice. It did it in YouTube app, and also while simply browsing through apps.

Is this normal for this player or should I get a replacement? It's still withing Amazon's 30-day return period.

Thanks in advance!
Lol, of course that is not normal. Get it replaced asap as Amazons return policy is stellar.
post #115 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Thanks SkOrPn.

Requested a replacement just now, and of course, just my luck, Amazon is out of stock right now.

The player is running pretty hot, especially with the quick start option on. Wonder if that has anything to do with these random reboots.

post #116 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kay View Post

Thanks SkOrPn.

Requested a replacement just now, and of course, just my luck, Amazon is out of stock right now.

The player is running pretty hot, especially with the quick start option on. Wonder if that has anything to do with these random reboots.

Yeah I was going to mention that it is probably an over heating issue. Now I understand how they can sell these things so cheaply. If I knew it was an over heating issue for sure knowing me I'd mod the thing to run cooler but that's me. This coming from someone who added a led fan to a freggin cable modem just for the heck of it.

Anyway at 900mhz and no active cooling I'd say there was bound to be some that get past the QA dept with heating issues. Have you updated the firmware yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
post #117 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Yeah I was going to mention that it is probably an over heating issue. Now I understand how they can sell these things so cheaply. If I knew it was an over heating issue for sure knowing me I'd mod the thing to run cooler but that's me. This coming from someone who added a led fan to a freggin cable modem just for the heck of it.

Anyway at 900mhz and no active cooling I'd say there was bound to be some that get past the QA dept with heating issues. Have you updated the firmware yet?

Yup, running the latest firmware 1014.

Also, just took the protective film off the top of the unit, just in case. :)

post #118 of 346 Old 12-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

It does seem a little warm to the touch but not too bad here. Amazon's return policy being as it is tells me to just follow through with the exchange. I might have to do that also if I can't figure out what is wrong with the audio when streaming.

Good luck with your device

post #119 of 346 Old 12-27-2013, 10:02 AM

So I just bought this blu ray player yesterday. I am having a big issue that might be simple to fix but I just don't know how to do it. So I hooked this blu ray player up to my sharp tv that has a samsung sound bar connected to the tv. The sound bar is connected to the tv via optical outputs and the blu ray player is connected to the tv via hdmi. When i go to the source on the tv that the blu ray player is hooked to the video shows up but the audio does not come through the sound bar. I went back to the source where my tv is hooked to and the audio comes through fine but when i switch back to the blu ray source the audio stops again. What do I need to do to get audio.
post #120 of 346 Old 12-27-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 12
Your TV is outputting to the SB via the optical. It has not the ability to smart switch the incoming HDMI audio to the SB. If your SB has more than one optical input go out of the Sammy to it via optical.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd F5900 3d Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - F5900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page