Samsung BD-F5900 Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #121 of 367 Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife picked up a BD-F5900 for me as an Xmas gift. So far it's working great. No issues with Netflix streaming and the player is quiet when playing discs.
I paired up my iPad and iPhone with the netflix and YouTube apps with no problem.

Compared to my older Panasonic player, the volume output is low on streaming apps and disc playback.
Fwiw, I'm a Fios user with the player plugged directly into my AirPort Extreme which is behind the FIos router. I'm using optical out to a Slimstage30 soundbar and HDMI out to a 40" Samsung LED(not a smart TV)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 367 Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post

My wife picked up a BD-F5900 for me as an Xmas gift. So far it's working great. No issues with Netflix streaming and the player is quiet when playing discs.
I paired up my iPad and iPhone with the netflix and YouTube apps with no problem.

Compared to my older Panasonic player, the volume output is low on streaming apps and disc playback.
Fwiw, I'm a Fios user with the player plugged directly into my AirPort Extreme which is behind the FIos router. I'm using optical out to a Slimstage30 soundbar and HDMI out to a 40" Samsung LED(not a smart TV)

Not sure this is a solution but see if you have the option to disable the HDMI audio. I've had this conflict between Optical and HDMI audio with other components. Worth a try?

I run the BD-F5900 HDMI to the TV and optical out to an Onkyo TX-SR800 AVR. Compared to my other players an RCA DVD Recorder (Component video / Optical audio) , an Onkyo DVD Player DV-SR800 (Component video / Optical audio) the audio strength are all on par with each other. I let the Onkyo AVR decode.

I'l try the streaming thing soon and see if its weaker.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #123 of 367 Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if there's an option to disable the hdmi audio. The soundbar doesn't have hdmi input and the tv only sends PCM out, so I'm running the optical to the bar to feed it 5.1

post #124 of 367 Old 12-30-2013, 10:48 PM

It's interesting that CNET gave the Samsung a much higher rating than the Sony. The Sony does have a funky form factor that makes it not really stackable, but it's not like the Samsung could've been either, with the rounded corner and touch sensitive control surface in said corner. The Sony has buttons, which is a plus, I think, but that's minutia since most of the time one would be using the remote. Neither of them are back-lit (the remotes, I mean, which blows).

After trying to get Samsung to repair the defective unit they sold me, I decided to buy the Sony S5100 and swore off buying anything Samsung that's not a phone (the galaxy series is top-notch, I will admit). The thing is, they'll repair it, but you have to have it shipped to one of their repair centers, and they have very specific packing and shipping instructions. I sat down and figured out that a box with their required dimensioning and required cushioning materials and then having to pay for insured shipping, would cost me like $42, so I went and bought the Sony for $80, saves me from having to go several weeks without anything to watch or play (since I use my BD player as an audio source, as well, at least until I can afford something like a marantz or cambridge audio SACD/DVD-A rig).

So far the Sony has outlasted the Samsung, and it's interface isn't more-or-less impressive or difficult to navigate (they both kind of suck, IMHO, then again I haven't found a GUI I liked on any kind of home entertainment device that isn't a PC). Supposedly the Samsung has access to more apps, not that it really mattered since it didn't last long enough for me to use any of the ones I don't use daily. Then again, I'm not necessarily buying a blu-ray player for its apps, either. FWIW, the Samsung was compatible with the 5GHz wireless-N (also AC) router I have, but the Sony gives me far less connectivity issues than I had with the Samsung, even though it's operating on the 2.4GHz band, go figure.

Did I also mention the Sony didn't die three weeks after I unboxed it?

I hope others experience with the Samsung is much more positive than mine.

post #125 of 367 Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Ours just experienced its first crash and reboot for no apparent reason. It seems to get warm, however without knowing for sure I have no clue how to proceed. Also, the wifi has become very unreliable, so I finally got off my butt and ran a Cat5e to the back of the unit and so far no problems to report. It almost instantly hits 5800 kbps now. Time will only tell about the reboot issue. If its overheating I can actually fix that myself, however how would one know that it is in fact overheating and crashing because of it?
post #126 of 367 Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

New Firmware version 1014.1 was just released. No idea what has been changed or why.

If you update to 1014.1 you will get the new V4 Netflix app which is quite nice. If you change regions and use unblock-us you can watch BBC iPlayer, On Demand 4 and 5 and itv which are all pretty nice.
post #127 of 367 Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 AM

Ok guys, I'm feeling dumb. I got my iPhone and iPad paired with Netflix and YouTube apps, but can't remember how I did it. My wife wants to connect hers too, but I can't remember how I did it. Any info is much
appreciated. Thanks!
Edit: Never mind. I figured it out!
post #128 of 367 Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Datsun240Z View Post

It's interesting that CNET gave the Samsung a much higher rating than the Sony.

It wasn't "much higher." It was 4.0 stars vs. 3.5 stars. CNET's title for their Sony BDP-S5100 review is "Sony's Blu-ray player is one of the best."

Your complaint is about reliability, and that's not something reviewers can address effectively. Most reviewers get a single instance of a given product to test, but reliability is more of a probability thing. I don't know what the defect rate is for Blu-ray players, but for LED TVs for example it's generally only about 3-4% within three years.

The reliability of Samsung and Sony players are probably quite similar to each other. You just happened to draw the short straw with the Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Datsun240Z View Post

The thing is, they'll repair it, but you have to have it shipped to one of their repair centers, and they have very specific packing and shipping instructions. I sat down and figured out that a box with their required dimensioning and required cushioning materials and then having to pay for insured shipping, would cost me like $42 . . .

Can't you just take it to Best Buy or another authorized reseller for warranty service?

TV: LG 60LA7400 (60", 1080p, 3D)
Receiver: Denon AVR-X1200W
Blu-ray player: Samsung BD-F5900
CD player: Sony CDP-CE500
Speakers: Yamaha NS-A100XT, Polk Audio Monitor CS2, Monoprice 10800, Yamaha YST-SW105

post #129 of 367 Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post

If you update to 1014.1 you will get the new V4 Netflix app which is quite nice. If you change regions and use unblock-us you can watch BBC iPlayer, On Demand 4 and 5 and itv which are all pretty nice.

I have two of the BD-F5900 players and when I check for updates it says that they are both up to date at version 1014 but I still have the older Netflix interface. I got my parents a BD-F5900 for Christmas and they do have the newer Netflix interface. So I am scratching my head trying to figure out why I don't have the more recent Netflix interface on my two players. I bought them sometime ago so I hope there is not some kind of hardware revision such that older versions of the BD-F5900 won't support the newer Netflix interface. This seems unlikely to me but I suppose anything is possible. Anyone have any information on how to persuade the BD-F5900 to update to the newest Netflix interface?
post #130 of 367 Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anettis View Post

I have two of the BD-F5900 players and when I check for updates it says that they are both up to date at version 1014 but I still have the older Netflix interface. I got my parents a BD-F5900 for Christmas and they do have the newer Netflix interface. So I am scratching my head trying to figure out why I don't have the more recent Netflix interface on my two players. I bought them sometime ago so I hope there is not some kind of hardware revision such that older versions of the BD-F5900 won't support the newer Netflix interface. This seems unlikely to me but I suppose anything is possible. Anyone have any information on how to persuade the BD-F5900 to update to the newest Netflix interface?

I have always had the v4.003 Netflix app so not sure what the old app looked like. lol

Maybe go back into the Samsung Apps section and go to the Netflix app info tab and see if you can find someway to update it from there. If not do a reset by holding the "STOP" button for 8 seconds until you see "SETUP" on the display, and see if that does anything for you.
post #131 of 367 Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by anettis View Post

I have the same firmware as you (1014) but I saw this on Samsung web page. 1014.1 RELEASED on Dec.30. I checked yesterday but it said was up to date with 1014. Maybe we will get soon.

mark
post #132 of 367 Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

I have the same firmware as you (1014) but I saw this on Samsung web page. 1014.1 RELEASED on Dec.30. I checked yesterday but it said was up to date with 1014. Maybe we will get soon.

mark

To add more confusion while mine shows 1014 when I try to update, if I instead go to the Contact Samsung page the software version does end in 1014.1.
post #133 of 367 Old 01-02-2014, 12:26 PM

I have the Samsung BD-5900 for less than a month. I have firmware 1014. I have played multiple blu rays and DVDs over past weeks and noticed significant noise/rattling when playing these discs. This happened even with brand new discs. I can return this unit as I purchased it less than 30 days ago but I was interested if others have experienced similar problems as I decide on my next blu ray player.
post #134 of 367 Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billd1350 View Post

I have the Samsung BD-5900 for less than a month. I have firmware 1014. I have played multiple blu rays and DVDs over past weeks and noticed significant noise/rattling when playing these discs. This happened even with brand new discs. I can return this unit as I purchased it less than 30 days ago but I was interested if others have experienced similar problems as I decide on my next blu ray player.

I think I read that noise has been an issue with many of these F5900 units. Not sure if its the same drive in the bigger brother or not, the F7500. So far our F5900 is very quiet, but we have only put a few disks through it so far. For the most part it is strictly used for streaming through Plex and Netflix.
post #135 of 367 Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Just got a replacement BDF5900 unit which I will test over the next few days. If the noise continues with this unit I will return and try another make/model.
post #136 of 367 Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know why the April 25th Firmware release 1008.4 actually has some information as to what was fixed? All the other FW releases show nothing other than "Improved System stability". I hate it when a company is so lazy they can't even comment on what they fixed or improved.

Ver 1014.1 (Dec 20th 2013) - Improved System stability
Ver 1013.5 (Nov 28th 2013) - Improved System stability
Ver 1012.1 (Aug 5th 2013) - Improved System stability
Ver 1011.1 (Jul 4th 2013) - Improved System stability
Ver 1010.1 (Jun 17th 2013) - Improved System stability
Ver 1008.4 (Apr 25th 2013) - Improved compatibility issue with a specific router
Ver 1007.3 (Mar 25th 2013) - Improved System stability
post #137 of 367 Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 AM

So far so good with brand new SamsungBD-F5900 blu ray player with little yo no rattling when playing discs. I think I will keep it at firmware 1007 for now until I see the need to upgrade for any worthwhile features. I wonder if Samsung and other manufacturers decided to use cheaper parts on the playback function at the expense of adding more smart/web based functionality? I have never had difficulties with my two year old Sony and Panasonic blu ray players.
post #138 of 367 Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the unit from Costco and I would like to know if anyone knows how to turn OFF the screen saver, it comes on when I am playing Pandora and I cannot see the song titles. I have no burn in with my DLP set so I never need the screen saver.

Mike T
post #139 of 367 Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billd1350 View Post

So far so good with brand new SamsungBD-F5900 blu ray player with little yo no rattling when playing discs. I think I will keep it at firmware 1007 for now until I see the need to upgrade for any worthwhile features. I wonder if Samsung and other manufacturers decided to use cheaper parts on the playback function at the expense of adding more smart/web based functionality? I have never had difficulties with my two year old Sony and Panasonic blu ray players.

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD65 that I never use, still in its original retail box in fact. I have played only two disks in total through it (Avatar & Planet Earth BluRay's) and it was amazing. However, I had gotten it for Netflix to replace my original Roku (to reduce the number of ports used), but I did not like the slowness of Viera Cast so went back to the Roku. It is in pristine condition but I have no use for it even though I have access to thousands of DVD's and BD disks here. I play every physical disk through my HTPC, MPC-HC and Plex if I have the choice. Otherwise, I rip our disks onto the Home Server and stream them to where ever room its needed. Not sure what to do with this Panasonic player. lol

Anyway, yes my Panasonic is whisper quiet (if I remember correctly) at disk playing as far as I know, however it cost double what the BD-F5900 cost me so maybe the parts are better. The F5900 is just a super cheaply built machine and I wonder just how long it will last someone who uses them every day.
post #140 of 367 Old 01-04-2014, 03:40 PM

New to Blu-ray and this site.  I have a new BD-F5900 and my wife is an Amazon Prime member.  The

Amazon app shows available on the Samsung Apps pages but when I select it, navigate to the download button,

and push enter, nothing happens.  It doesn't download or give any indication that there is a problem of

any kind.

Additionally, the Amazon app is shown in the Apps "recommended" section and when that is selected I see

a dialog box with "not available".

The Amazon website lists this as a compatible device.  Am I missing something here?

post #141 of 367 Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 AM

Problem sort of solved.  After retrying this morning the Amazon Instant App entry in the recommended

list seems to have been updated.  It now works correctly.

post #142 of 367 Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekers View Post

New to Blu-ray and this site.  I have a new BD-F5900 and my wife is an Amazon Prime member.  The
Amazon app shows available on the Samsung Apps pages but when I select it, navigate to the download button,
and push enter, nothing happens.  It doesn't download or give any indication that there is a problem of
any kind.

Additionally, the Amazon app is shown in the Apps "recommended" section and when that is selected I see
a dialog box with "not available".

The Amazon website lists this as a compatible device.  Am I missing something here?

I had this same issue. I did a reset of the Hub and everything worked perfect after that.
post #143 of 367 Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 AM

I'm looking to replace my old Samsung BDC5500, becuse it refuses to stream MKV video files with PCM audio. AC3 audio plays fine, but PCM audio triggers a "Not supported audio codec" message.

Can anyone confirm that this player can play video with audio stream stored in PCM format? Is there a complete list of video and audio codecs supported by this player?

Best regards,
Andrey
post #144 of 367 Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post

I'm looking to replace my old Samsung BDC5500, becuse it refuses to stream MKV video files with PCM audio. AC3 audio plays fine, but PCM audio triggers a "Not supported audio codec" message.

Can anyone confirm that this player can play video with audio stream stored in PCM format? Is there a complete list of video and audio codecs supported by this player?

Someone at Samsung sent me a full spec sheet on this player a few months back but I cant seem to find it now sorry. However, I have tried all three sound options using both the Optical and HDMI output and had sound from the receiver no matter what I selected. Unfortunately the receiver this is connected to does not support anything above DTS or DD 5.1. I assume this means PCM worked. I Hope that helped somewhat. Let me know if I can do something further. I have the unit at my disposal today with no interruptions.
post #145 of 367 Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

Try sticking it in a m2ts container instead. Should only take a second with TsMuxer
post #146 of 367 Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Someone at Samsung sent me a full spec sheet on this player a few months back but I cant seem to find it now sorry. However, I have tried all three sound options using both the Optical and HDMI output and had sound from the receiver no matter what I selected. Unfortunately the receiver this is connected to does not support anything above DTS or DD 5.1. I assume this means PCM worked. I Hope that helped somewhat. Let me know if I can do something further. I have the unit at my disposal today with no interruptions.

I had a chance to try F5700 today (couldn't find a F5900). It did successfully play MKV files with PCM audio stream, which my C5500 was choking upon. However, for reasons unknown this F5700 was getting stuck at endless "Loading..." stage on other MKV files, which my old C5500 played without a hitch.

I wonder how much of an improvement is F5900 over F5700... I will probably have a chance to try F5900 tonight.

Best regards,
Andrey
post #147 of 367 Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had a chance to try F5700 today (couldn't find a F5900). It did successfully play MKV files with PCM audio stream, which my C5500 was choking upon. However, for reasons unknown this F5700 was getting stuck at endless "Loading..." stage on other MKV files, which my old C5500 played without a hitch.

I wonder how much of an improvement is F5900 over F5700... I will probably have a chance to try F5900 tonight.
Did you update the firmware by chance?
post #148 of 367 Old 01-08-2014, 06:46 PM

James Parsons:

Quote:
 Can't you just take it to Best Buy or another authorized reseller for warranty service?

No, if that had been the case that would've been easier. They said I had to ship it to some affiliate service center in Long Beach, CA (which isn't THAT far, about 120 miles), but far enough that I'd have to ship it. And, since I'd have to ship it I'd have to pay insurance and everything. Then god knows how long it would take for them to say, "send him a replacement" or "it'll be shipped back to you in XX days." Not really worth it, I just wished I waited until the price drop.

I basically will avoid Samsung products from now on, since I know their warranty / support is dubious at best. I don't know how Sony's warranty / support service is, since I've never had to use it.

Like I was saying before though, I think I'm just going to keep saving my change until I can get an OPPO or maybe one of the Marantz Universal Disc Players, since it'd be nice to play SACDs and DVD-As. Hopefully the Sony will last that long.

post #149 of 367 Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I want to revert to the firmware that played ISO.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #150 of 367 Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Did you update the firmware by chance?

Yes, I did update the firmware.

Before the firmware update, F5700 was completely unable to seek, fast forward or rewind MKV playback. After the update, these functions became available.

Best regards,
Andrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd F5900 3d Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page