Samsung BD-F5900 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 316 Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was considering getting two of these to replace my existing but somewhat dated Samsung BR players (BD-P2550). One of my BR players is hooked directly to a Samsung LCD while the other is hooked through an Onkyo 806 to a Samsung DLP. I frequently use Pandora and Netfilx.

In its day the BD-P2550 was a solid performer and was an early supporter of Pandora, Netflix, and DTS-HD Master Audio. But at this point it's Netflix client is missing newer features i.e. support for 1080p, subtitles, alternate audio, and 5.1 surround sound. It also appears to me that Netflix has gotten less stable over time as both units occasionally have an issue with sound without picture when staring a Netflix stream. This eventually clears up via recycling or reinserting a HDMI cable, but it can be a hassle. Plus the newer players tend to be faster loading and include newer features such as content sharing from the network (DLNA). In any event I have gotten a number of years out of these players and feel it is a good time to upgrade.

I like the feature set of the Samsung BD-F5900 but don't see much in the way of reviews. I am hoping some fellow AVS members may have experience with this model and can thus pass on some valuable feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 316 Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by anettis View Post

I was considering getting two of these to replace my existing but somewhat dated Samsung BR players (BD-P2550). One of my BR players is hooked directly to a Samsung LCD while the other is hooked through an Onkyo 806 to a Samsung DLP. I frequently use Pandora and Netfilx.

In its day the BD-P2550 was a solid performer and was an early supporter of Pandora, Netflix, and DTS-HD Master Audio. But at this point it's Netflix client is missing newer features i.e. support for 1080p, subtitles, alternate audio, and 5.1 surround sound. It also appears to me that Netflix has gotten less stable over time as both units occasionally have an issue with sound without picture when staring a Netflix stream. This eventually clears up via recycling or reinserting an HDMI cable, but it can be a hassle. Plus the newer players tend to be faster loading and include newer features such as content sharing from the network (DLNA) . In any event I have gotten a number of years out of these players and feel it is a good time to upgrade.

I like the feature set of the Samsung BD-F5900 but don't see much in the way of reviews. I am hoping some fellow AVS members may have experience with this model and can thus pass on some valuable feedback.

I picked up the Samsung F59C which is the the F5900 at Cosco for $119.00. I have used it for a few days with Blu Ray and DVD. The machine works well and the picture quality is like the other Blu Ray machines. The front of the machine has very large and bright numbers showing the time lapse of the Blu Ray/DVD. The machine is small and has a circular look on the top right side which has stop, play, open and power at the four corners of the cirlce. For $119 which includes the HDMI it is a good bargain. The home screen is awful and can confuse.

One more thing, the back has only HDMI and opitcal audio outputs.
post #3 of 316 Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

I picked up the Samsung F59C which is the the F5900 at Cosco for $119.00. I have used it for a few days with Blu Ray and DVD. The machine works well and the picture quality is like the other Blu Ray machines. The front of the machine has very large and bright numbers showing the time lapse of the Blu Ray/DVD. The machine is small and has a circular look on the top right side which has stop, play, open and power at the four corners of the cirlce. For $119 which includes the HDMI it is a good bargain. The home screen is awful and can confuse.

One more thing, the back has only HDMI and opitcal audio outputs.

Thanks for the heads up! Once you put it through its paces I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how well it handles Netflix, Pandora, and using All Share to pull content from your network.
post #4 of 316 Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 PM

Liked: 10
what are you looking to find out? I just purchased this model today and i am a bit disappointed in the smart hub layout. it's not the typical "underwater" design of the latest boxes, but it does have a web browser which i like. give me some specifics and ill try to get you some answers before i return it.
post #5 of 316 Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter11 View Post

what are you looking to find out? I just purchased this model today and i am a bit disappointed in the smart hub layout. it's not the typical "underwater" design of the latest boxes, but it does have a web browser which i like. give me some specifics and ill try to get you some answers before i return it.

Thanks for the info. I am just looking for feedback on how well things like Pandora, Netflix, All Share, web browser, smart hub are setup. Are you returning yours specifically because you don't like the smart hub layout?
post #6 of 316 Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM

I've had the F5900 for about a week now. No problems with playing BluRay in 2D or 3D. Netfilx seems to work fine, but I agree that the layout of the SmartHub is not optimal. I actually like the "underwater design of the SmartHub on my Samsung 6500 TV better, so I've been using that instead for my applications. I was kind of surprised that the two are so different. Also, I use the Amazon Cloud Player app on the TV to stream audio from my Amazon cloud but find it strange that the app isn't available on the BluRay player. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe they will upgrade the interface with a software update in the future, it's a brand new model. Overall, it's fine for the price and I like the fact that you can rip MP3s right from the player to an attached flash drive. I have tested the USB connection with a wireless keyboard and that works fine as well, although even with a keyboard to use the web interface is still sort of cumbersome.
post #7 of 316 Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I am just looking for feedback on how well things like Pandora, Netflix, All Share, web browser, smart hub are setup. Are you returning yours specifically because you don't like the smart hub layout?

Yes, it is very complicated to do anything, although I do likecthe cd ripping feature that allow you to rip cd, s to mp3. All the apps that I have run flow smooth, however, it fails to see my galaxy s3 for allshare, but that may be somerhing I'm doing
post #8 of 316 Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM

Just bought the Samsung BD-F5900 and installed the Plex app - able to stream my 1080p mkv wirelessly w/o difficulty. Impressive picture quality also. However no matter what I do I can't seem to bring up subtitle associated with that particular mkv file. If I watch the same movie through Plex client on another PC or my iPad I can see subtitle w/o problem. Can anyone confirm if the Samsung BD-F5900 can support subtitle (I use only english srt subtitle)?
I really need a Plex player which support subtitle - what about Roku 3?

Thx
Rob
post #9 of 316 Old 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

I just bought a Samsung BD-FM59C from Costco yesterday. I have two other Samsung Blu Ray players... C7900's. They are VERY quiet. This new Samsung F59C is very noisy when I play a DVD. It sounds like a fan is running and quite loud. Even with the DVD on Pause. If it's not in a cabinet I suspect it would be distracting. I called Samsung and they said it sounds like a problem fan. But if I just exchange it at Costco, I don't want a second one with a noisy fan either. So, how noisy is your F59C when you play a DVD or Blu Ray disk? I am trying to figure out if all are noisy.
post #10 of 316 Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have one here for testing now, and with the current bugs in the firmware, I wouldn't buy it. I'm talking to Samsung tomorrow to see if it can get fixed, but there are some pretty glaring errors in there at the moment that need to be changed. Also, there is no vibration isolation on it it seems, so when a disc is playing it causes my shelf to rattle, which causes my AV rack to rattle a bit, which is very loud. They also annoying put the buttons on the top of the unit so you can't stack anything on top, and if you do stack something on top, the WiFi antennas are in there and you can't reliably stream content from it.

I'll have a full review soon, but right now, a few big bugs.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #11 of 316 Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I wound up pulling the trigger on a pair of these units to replace my two Samsung BD-P2550's, one for my master bedroom and the other for my living room entertainment system. I have not spent that much time with the players, so this is somewhat preliminary, but thus far I am impressed. I did not notice any vibration issue. I don't think these units have fans as when using the apps they are quite as a mouse. The Netflix client is much better than what was on the Samsung BD-P2550.
post #12 of 316 Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM

I purchased this about 1 week after it came out. The dvd and blu ray picture quality is very high and enjoyable. No vibration for me, it has no fan.
post #13 of 316 Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

If the unit has no fan (even though it sounds like one is on to me) then it's one noisy drive. At least mine is. And even if I pause a disk, it's just as noisy. I tried 3 different Blu Ray disks and an older DVD disk. The unit was noisy each time. As for firmware, it and all the apps updated just fine on my wired Ethernet connection. Video and music play just fine through the USB. And the unit is silent when that disk drive is off. What bugs are showing up in the firmware?
post #14 of 316 Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Smackrabbit: Did you learn anything after contacting Samsung on the new F5900 or FM59C Blu Ray player and its noisy drive? I did after nearly an hour on the phone and 3 transfers. I want to compare answers.
post #15 of 316 Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

If the unit has no fan (even though it sounds like one is on to me) then it's one noisy drive. At least mine is. And even if I pause a disk, it's just as noisy. I tried 3 different Blu Ray disks and an older DVD disk. The unit was noisy each time. As for firmware, it and all the apps updated just fine on my wired Ethernet connection. Video and music play just fine through the USB. And the unit is silent when that disk drive is off. What bugs are showing up in the firmware?

The player has no fan. What you hear is purely disk noise. If you pause the disk playback ... the disk is still rotating in the drive.
post #16 of 316 Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I agree and this was confirmed by Samsungs tech support. No fan. I have two more expensive and earlier Samsung 3d Blu Ray players. And they are nearly dead quiet. The new Samsung 59 not only has far fewer outputs, but I suspect they cut corners and used cheaper components and design standards to keep the price down. Question is whether I just happen to have an especially noisy one with a loud drive, or are they all like that. In a quiet room, the BD Player noise is a bit disturbing. You should not have to raise the volume while watching a DVD or Blu Ray movie just to drown out drive noise.
post #17 of 316 Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Just tried out Samsung BD-FM59C (Costco version of F5900c) at home. After test it out various features, I decided this is not the player for me compared to my existing Sony S590/BX59 for following reasons:

1. Streaming capability of the player is laughable at the best. Almost all of my videos (mostly AVC encoded) require server transcoding. My Sony can stream virtually all AVC encoded video without transcoding including bitstreaming HD audios like DTS-HD. It does, however, capable of stream MPEG2 HD video from my HDHomerun Prime cablecard tuner in DLNA mode. Very few devices in my home can do that.
2. No discrete ON/OFF IR commands I can find. This makes it very difficult to program my Harmony remote.

The player powers on pretty fast. Did not try the BD feature as I assume it will be fine.
post #18 of 316 Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

That's odd. I tried the f7500 and it played every MKV / m2ts I threw at it (avc, VC-1 and mpeg2). Be it no hd audio support though.
post #19 of 316 Old 05-04-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

It plays them alright but they are obviously transcoded on the server side. I'm looking for BD player that can stream at least equal to my Sony but I was disappointed by Samsung.
post #20 of 316 Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

Question is whether I just happen to have an especially noisy one with a loud drive, or are they all like that.

I suspect they're all like that. Before trying the Samsung, I went through three Sony S5100s, two from Amazon, and the renumbered model from Sam's, and all emitted a horrible loud whine when spinning a disk. The one from Sam's was a tiny bit better but still very bad. The Samsung is possibly worse than all of them. I thought the constant din I was hearing was partly due to crickets chirping late tonight, but no, it was all the F5900. These things are ridiculous. I thought my Sony BDP-S350 from 2008 was noisy with its fan, but it was mostly loud white noise, without the high-pitched piercing whine these new fanless players make at all times when playing a disc. The only thing that breaks up the monotony is the even louder sounds the drives make when seeking.

This F5900 also doesn't like to recognize discs once inserted. Out of five discs I've tried so far, I've had to re-open and close the tray before it would play two of them. On the plus side, these new players are hugely faster at disc operations than my old S350. Too bad the drives are such noisy junk. Well, this F5900 is going back. I'll try one more sample, but I'm not hopeful.
post #21 of 316 Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It plays them alright but they are obviously transcoded on the server side. I'm looking for BD player that can stream at least equal to my Sony but I was disappointed by Samsung.

If you're replying to my post - no transcoding was enabled. The f7500 played everything natively.
post #22 of 316 Old 05-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

The replacement F5900 improves on the constant-level crickets noise, but in all other respects, it's just as loud as the first one. I guess high noise level is just part of buying a BD player these days.

Moving on, has anyone tried playing MKV files from a USB drive? I'm finding that compared to the Sony S5100 and my PC, which look essentially identical on my Panasonic P50ST60, the F5900 makes the TV (calibrated with meter and Calman 5) look like it's been switched to a slightly jacked-up mode (which it hasn't been), or that some sort of "Reality Creation" has been switched on, to use a Sony TV term. It's not a question of the TV settings or input, as both the PC and BD players are plugged directly into the TV, and the S5100 and F5900 were plugged into the same HDMI port one at a time. The F5900 does have a "Picture Mode" option, and changing it from Standard to User makes a small difference, but adjusting the User settings by even their smallest amounts goes too far; changing to Cinema makes it a little dimmer, but it is still "enhanced". This is frustrating, because I have my remote set up so that I can directly switch between inputs on the TV, and my goal was to evaluate different calibrations by switching between PC and BD player, which takes about a second and is much, much faster than going through the TV menus and using the Copy command. This was possible with the Sony, but the Samsung, with its jacked-up output, makes it pointless. I've just checked, and the F5900 BD output is "enhanced" just like the USB output.

A couple of examples where the F5900 "enhancement" is plainly evident include the beginning of Chapter 4 of Star Trek (2009), which starts out on a nebula and star field and pans to Nero's ship, and many of the space scenes in Tree of Life. The F5900 seems to be more contrasty, with blacker blacks and brighter stars, but less detail in things like wisps of nebula gas and smoke. I've tried playing AVS709HD test patterns such as the clipping patterns and can't see a difference there. Switching the F5900 between YCbCr444 and RGB doesn't make much if any difference. Are Samsungs known for this? Seems unlikely that both the Sony S5100 and PC (XBMC/DXVA2, Nvidia GT430) would look essentially identical and be "wrong" in the same way.
post #23 of 316 Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else hit with the Cinavia block on their Samsung. Most newer and updated Samsung Blu Ray Players have it. I assume this one does too. I understand the need for a copy protection, but previously I have had two Blu Ray disks damaged so that they won't play any more. A backup would have been nice.
post #24 of 316 Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

In order to be compliant with AACS license agreements, all BD players released 2012 or later MUST have Cinavia detection. Why do you think this player should be exempted? Not all BD discs are protected by Cinavia though.
post #25 of 316 Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

A couple of examples where the F5900 "enhancement" is plainly evident include the beginning of Chapter 4 of Star Trek (2009), which starts out on a nebula and star field and pans to Nero's ship, and many of the space scenes in Tree of Life. The F5900 seems to be more contrasty, with blacker blacks and brighter stars, but less detail in things like wisps of nebula gas and smoke.

To get the Samsung F5900 closer to Sony/PC output, I had to call up the Tools menu, available only when something is playing, and change the Picture Mode option from "Standard" to "Movie". The default is Standard, and Standard is clearly juiced. Even Movie looks slightly enhanced. As I still have the Samsung F5900, I hooked it up and took some close-up photos. From top to bottom, here are the Samsung F5900 Standard, Sony S5100, my PC (XBMC/DXVA2, Nvidia GT430), and Samsung F5900 Movie all paused near the start of Chapter 4 in Star Trek (2009). The BD players were on Input 3 on my 50ST60, while the PC was on Input 1, same TV settings for both inputs. I would say the Samsung in its "Standard" Picture Mode is more contrasty and saturated and possibly sharper than the Sony and PC, the latter two looking about the same, while the Samsung's "Movie" mode is much closer to the Sony and PC but still more contrasty. All are playing the same MKV file, though I observed the same thing with the actual disc with the BD players. I'm aware that results can vary with minor differences in where video is paused, and to be clear, these photos are representative of the several pause points I tried and the video as watched. The difference between Samsung Standard Picture Mode and the rest was immediately obvious when A/B'ing from normal viewing distance and I think clearly shown in the photos, while Movie mode was a good bit more subtle, particularly in the photos.

Samsung F5900 (Standard)
Sony S5100
PC (XMBC/DXVA2, Nvidia GT430)
Samsung F5900 (Movie)
post #26 of 316 Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 AM

two questions:
1) Can you put the unit on it's side and load the DVDs from the top or side? I'd like to wall mount it.
post #27 of 316 Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM

post #28 of 316 Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 12
I bought the same unit. You need to press the B button. This will turn on your subtitles (and more options) while the movie is playing.
post #29 of 316 Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I have been using two of these units for a number of months - mostly Pandora, Netflix, and Amazon streaming and an occasional Blu-ray or DVD. I did notice one oddball anomaly - there seems to be some occasional static added to the video when using a bitstream audio setting. This occurs in a seemingly random fashion for a split second as a white flash impacting a group of pixels in a straight line. In some case the static is so brief and impacts such a small portion of the screen that unless you were looking at the portion of the screen that was impacted it might not even be noticed. Anyway this anomaly does not seem to occur when using PCM audio, which I imagine is the most popular audio setting as it is supported by all receivers and by letting the BR player handle the encoding at the source it allows for secondary audio with a BR disk. Plus I imagine that in general people upgrade BR players more often than an A/V receiver, so the BR player could have more up to date handling of audio formats. Anyway there have been a few firmware upgrades since I did extensive testing with bitstream audio, so this issue may have already been addressed.

Overall I have been impressed with the performance and extended feature set of these relatively inexpensive units. Anyone else care to share their experience thus far?
post #30 of 316 Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:

I have been using two of these units for a number of months - mostly Pandora, Netflix, and Amazon streaming and an occasional Blu-ray or DVD. I did notice one oddball anomaly - there seems to be some occasional static added to the video when using a bitstream audio setting. This occurs in a seemingly random fashion for a split second as a white flash impacting a group of pixels in a straight line. In some case the static is so brief and impacts such a small portion of the screen that unless you were looking at the portion of the screen that was impacted it might not even be noticed. Anyway this anomaly does not seem to occur when using PCM audio, which I imagine is the most popular audio setting as it is supported by all receivers and by letting the BR player handle the encoding at the source it allows for secondary audio with a BR disk. Plus I imagine that in general people upgrade BR players more often than an A/V receiver, so the BR player could have more up to date handling of audio formats. Anyway there have been a few firmware upgrades since I did extensive testing with bitstream audio, so this issue may have already been addressed.

Overall I have been impressed with the performance and extended feature set of these relatively inexpensive units. Anyone else care to share their experience thus far?

I had this machine for several months. I only use it for DVD and Blu Ray movies. Using Spears and Musil disc to calibrate, the DVD section is perfect and the Blu Ray playback is excellent. I rated it 5 stars for Amazon. I think that the Sony S5100 with Triluminous color is better.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd F5900 3d Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page