Samsung BD-F7500 Blu-ray Player. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 162 Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Samsung BD-F7500 Blu-ray Player.

A little surprised that very little information can be found on this player.

Since I have a 2012 Samsung plasma and I was in want of a new player so I could watch 3D with my non-compliant receiver, I went ahead and purchased this unit because of the two HDMI out.

The unit works as you would expect no problems that I've been able to identify. To my eye it doesn't look any better or worse than my PS3. It did two firmware updates after initial setup, which took about an hour for the downloads. It comes on so much faster than my PS3, its ready to load a disk in just a few seconds.

The BD-Wise feature (if you can call it that) is a total joke. It sets the color too blue (sets the color tone to Standard). Using the Disney WOW and Warm2 gives much better overall picture. Someone who isn't a reader of this board might even find the color and other settings okay. But why in the world would you want to have the sharpness set to 50 as it does with the BD-Wise? It is one noisy picture with it set like that.

I really do like the Anynet+ and the way the player turns on when you select its input. It also allows for control with one less remote. If you select its input with the TV remote the TV remote now becomes the Blu-ray remote and all the needed control buttons now function as if you had the Blu-ray remote in-hand. Because of this I can now use my DirecTV remote to control everything.

It meets my needs of an enjoyable movie experiance with 7.1 sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does this player have Amazon Instant Video available as an app to use? Thank you.

post #3 of 162 Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtkill View Post

Does this player have Amazon Instant Video available as an app to use? Thank you.

Haven't even looked at the "smart features" since my display has them, but I will check on it tonight and post.
post #4 of 162 Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Amazon is a yes just activated my account.
post #5 of 162 Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you, greatly appreciated!

post #6 of 162 Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Is this the player with a dual core processor? Or did samsung include that with all their players this year? How is navigation through the smart hub and the apps, is it smooth and fast?
post #7 of 162 Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 AM

Liked: 10
Hey DrewM, I just purchased the BD-F5900 to compliment my new Samsung 7100 series TV. You mentioned the sharpness set at 50 producing a noisy picture. I have not got into the settings yet but am also noticing that the picture quality is disappointing when watching DVDs. very grainy and noisy. My 5 year old Panasonic seems to do a better job outputting DVD content. Do you think the sharpness setting is causing my problem?
post #8 of 162 Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

What is your sharpness set at and are you using the BD-Wise feature?
post #9 of 162 Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by remush View Post

Is this the player with a dual core processor? Or did samsung include that with all their players this year? How is navigation through the smart hub and the apps, is it smooth and fast?

The "Home Screen" is the first thing that comes up when you turn on the player from there you can select "Movies & TV Shows", "Aps", "Photos Videos & Music", "Web Browser" and "Settings". Selecting any one of these options loads up much faster than slecting Smart Hub on the PNE7000. So yes overall it seems faster than my display.

With that being said the only feature I really use is Amazon Prime and I usually do that from my PS3, it just seemed to work better than the ap on the display. I'll have to use the ap on the player this weekend and see how it works. I did mess around with an ap that played a video of the ocean tide and a ap that had 3D photos provided by users. The ocean tide worked just fine the 3D ap would sorta time out when going from picture to picture a few times, which meant you had to reactive the 3d on the display and restart the glasses once the buffer caught up. More than likely just an issue with speed of the web somewhere in the chain.
post #10 of 162 Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM

OK, Over lunch I looked into the settings a bit more. when you talk about the sharpness setting you mean the setting on the TV itself and not the bluray player correct? I thought that maybe the player had its own sharpness setting but i don't see this in the menu so I assume you are referring to the TV setting. I believe i can get an acceptable DVD picture by dialing down the sharpness but it still looks like my old Panasonic DVD player produces a cleaner picture. For the most part I like the BD-F5900 but wonder if there is another 3D Bluray player out their that does a better job up-converting DVDs.
post #11 of 162 Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This new flagship model definitely looks slick. I like what I've read so far, but my only apprehension is Samsung's somewhat spotty track record regarding BD players. I love their tvs, but almost every player they've ever released always ends up with a 3.5 out of 5 type of rating. Nothing ever gets 4 or higher. This unit seems like it will break the trend. Glad to hear Amazon Instant Video is available.
post #12 of 162 Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

The "Home Screen" is the first thing that comes up when you turn on the player from there you can select "Movies & TV Shows", "Aps", "Photos Videos & Music", "Web Browser" and "Settings". Selecting any one of these options loads up much faster than slecting Smart Hub on the PNE7000. So yes overall it seems faster than my display. I

Good to hear it's running faster than last year's smart tv, and hopefully it's much faster than last year's bluray players. I have the bde5900, and I'm disappointed with the slow navigation inside the smart hub.
post #13 of 162 Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 PM

I believe I got my BD-F5900 settings dialed in and have reduced the sharpness down on my Samsung 7100 series to around 25. I am using BD-wise. I am still not happy with the picture from a standard DVD. My Panasonic deck still does a better job with up-scaling a standard DVD. I am thinking about returning it and getting the new Panasonic BDT230 which is replacing the BDT220.
Can anyone provide experience between Samsung and Panasonic up scaling?
post #14 of 162 Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfitzy View Post

I believe I got my BD-F5900 settings dialed in and have reduced the sharpness down on my Samsung 7100 series to around 25. I am using BD-wise. I am still not happy with the picture from a standard DVD. My Panasonic deck still does a better job with up-scaling a standard DVD. I am thinking about returning it and getting the new Panasonic BDT230 which is replacing the BDT220.
Can anyone provide experience between Samsung and Panasonic up scaling?

Many users on this forum have their sharpness set lower than that. Look for the forum for your specific display and see what some of the calibraiton settings are.

I use the WOW disk by Disney and they have two test pictures that really show what the sharpness setting can do. The one is of a woman holding 3 bell peppers of different colors. When you set sharpness high with this view, look at her face and at first glance it seems to be a better picture bringing out perceived details in her skin, such as freckles, pores and other details that aren't their when sharpness is set low. When the sharpness is low the picture appears soft with less detail, but this is how it should be. Go to the next picture which is of a dock and water scene and you will see why. Look at the water you will see artifacts that just shouldn't be there, it makes it look like what I would call noise or static, the picture looks just plain bad. Turn the sharpness down and the picure looks like it should.
post #15 of 162 Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by remush View Post

Good to hear it's running faster than last year's smart tv, and hopefully it's much faster than last year's bluray players. I have the bde5900, and I'm disappointed with the slow navigation inside the smart hub.

Using the Anynet+ to turn on the player by selecting the player input, takes less than 9 seconds to get to the"Home Screen", from there it takes less than 4 seconds to load up the ap screen. It takes 20 seconds untill you see the "Loading Amazon Screen". At that point the ap is actually running but your waiting on the informaiton to download from the web.
post #16 of 162 Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 PM

I recently purchased a BD-F7500, and I'm having a problem with severe buffering when watching an on-line video. In the beginning I had it connected to my wireless router (from which I can get 7 to 10 MB per second on my iPad) and then I switched to an ethernet cable connected directly to my modem. I also disconnected the PC and the wireless router so that the Blu-Ray player was the only device on the network. But even after making these changes the buffering was still just as bad.

I called the support number and a technician remotely accessed my player to check the speed. He said it was less than 1 MB per second. I'm sure that he's getting the correct speed because the buffering behavior is saying the same thing. But I know my network is capable of high speeds. My iPad can do 7 to 10 MB per second, and my PC can do 30 to 35 MB per second, so I know that my network provider is not the problem.

I think I know what the problem is, but I can't fix it because I can't access the Samsung firmware. When My PC was new about 3 months ago, it also had a problem with slow internet connectivity that was less than 1 MB per second. After reading a lot of forums, I finally discovered that the adapter settings needed to be changed from 100 MB per second to "auto-negotiate". Once I made that change the internet speed immediately improved to 35 MB per second. But with this Samsung player I do not have access to any of the adapter settings.

FYI: My Internet provider is Time Warner cable.

The holiday weekend has started, so I'll have to wait until Monday to call them again. I will very likely have to return it for a refund.
post #17 of 162 Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 AM

Update: I went to a website to check the internet speed, and it clocked in at 6.5 MB per second. The buffering problem seems to have gone away. I have no idea what changed to make it work better. I'll post again when I have some new information.
post #18 of 162 Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 AM

The first Blu-ray player in years that supports WMA Pro 5.1 audio, BUT:
- wrong surround channel output on multichannel PCM (left rearchannel output is on the right rear channel / right rear channel is on LFE channel / LFE channel is on the left rear channel)
- WMA Pro 5.1 sound with 440 kbps has dropouts every 5-10 seconds
post #19 of 162 Old 03-31-2013, 02:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

Amazon is a yes just activated my account.

Does Amazon Instant Video support 5.1 audio output on this Samsung player?

post #20 of 162 Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchlaf View Post

Does Amazon Instant Video support 5.1 audio output on this Samsung player?

I watched the new "Footloose" last week and it was DD 5.1.
post #21 of 162 Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

FWIW I was watching "Monsters Inc." 3-D Friday and experianced about a dozen audio dropouts with the TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack. I didn't have this problem with "Finding Nemo" also 7.1, or "The Avengers" DTS 7.1 so I'm not sure why this happened.
post #22 of 162 Old 04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfitzy View Post

OK, Over lunch I looked into the settings a bit more. when you talk about the sharpness setting you mean the setting on the TV itself and not the bluray player correct? I thought that maybe the player had its own sharpness setting but i don't see this in the menu so I assume you are referring to the TV setting. I believe i can get an acceptable DVD picture by dialing down the sharpness but it still looks like my old Panasonic DVD player produces a cleaner picture. For the most part I like the BD-F5900 but wonder if there is another 3D Bluray player out their that does a better job up-converting DVDs.

Settings on the blu ray player are under pic mode settings. After you select User.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #23 of 162 Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377

How does Samsung BD-F7500 compare vs Panasonic DMP-BDT500

post #24 of 162 Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm really looking into this player to serve as a DLNA client, specifically since the Plex app is available in the samsung store to go along with their TVs and blu-ray players. I use makeMKV to store archives of blu-ray discs, but I've been made aware that the cinavia DRM can kick in and disable playback.

Have any of you run into this issue, or used this player as a DLNA client with a front-end app like plex? With the dual core processor, this app should work very well on this player and it would be a marvelous substitute to use instead of building a much more expensive and bulkier HTPC. Just not sure about the cinavia thing...
post #25 of 162 Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

I'm really looking into this player to serve as a DLNA client, specifically since the Plex app is available in the samsung store to go along with their TVs and blu-ray players. I use makeMKV to store archives of blu-ray discs, but I've been made aware that the cinavia DRM can kick in and disable playback.

Have any of you run into this issue, or used this player as a DLNA client with a front-end app like plex? With the dual core processor, this app should work very well on this player and it would be a marvelous substitute to use instead of building a much more expensive and bulkier HTPC. Just not sure about the cinavia thing...

Generally speaking players that claim to support cinavia seem to not support it when it comes to DLNA streaming. The exception to the rule is the PS3. But Sony BDPs, Oppo and Panasonic BDTs are unaffected. However as now proven now Cinavia is present with DLNA on this Samsung player.
post #26 of 162 Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

fantastic! I also went ahead and ordered the player. It has been shipped but I dont think I'll be getting it before friday at the earliest. I think Plex is the best front end interface I've ever used, Im really hoping that remains the case on this player, given that it has plenty of CPU horsepower.

if you do test plex, could you please test out 1080p clips and see if subtitles and audio language support (dts/dts hd/etc) are selectable correctly? My only experience with DLNA is with a Sony S590 my friend recently bought which has played every mkv clip we've thrown at it, but has had trouble detecting embedded subtitle support (and also does not have support for plex, so navigation isnt 'pretty') on certain titles with no verifiable consistency. So I'm really excited and hoping this samsung player will bridge the gap. Looking forward to your report, and I cant wait till mine arrives in the mail.
post #27 of 162 Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

fantastic! I also went ahead and ordered the player. It has been shipped but I dont think I'll be getting it before friday at the earliest. I think Plex is the best front end interface I've ever used, Im really hoping that remains the case on this player, given that it has plenty of CPU horsepower.

if you do test plex, could you please test out 1080p clips and see if subtitles and audio language support (dts/dts hd/etc) are selectable correctly? My only experience with DLNA is with a Sony S590 my friend recently bought which has played every mkv clip we've thrown at it, but has had trouble detecting embedded subtitle support (and also does not have support for plex, so navigation isnt 'pretty') on certain titles with no verifiable consistency. So I'm really excited and hoping this samsung player will bridge the gap. Looking forward to your report, and I cant wait till mine arrives in the mail.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the Sony BDPs. They are pretty good with MKV support but won't support MPEG2 or VC1 video codecs within a MKV. However they will in a M2TS container. I've got my testpack of files to run through with the Samsung, and see how it gets on.

Yea, the Sony is a royal pain, when it comes to subtitles. Serviio (DLNA server) recently was updated to allow Sony BDPs to support subtitles ... however I've not had a chance to properly test out yet.
post #28 of 162 Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Kinda intruiged by this player, but Samsungs history offers some concern. They are the only ones to really bring a "new" flagship this year, maybe someone will test it's video results with some test discs. Hopefully they get one out to Home Theater Mag or something similar soon.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #29 of 162 Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

okay well I actually got mine delivered today (surprisingly quickly, given that I only ordered it yesterday). Here is the good and the bad:

I have about 60 movies on my NAS running the Plex media server (all 1080p, with subtitle tracks on most, and chapter marks).

Inside plex app from the samsung store:

Cinavia DID kick in and disable playback at the 20 minute mark when I played "the other guys" off this list:
http://veehd.com/forum/viewtopic?f=263185

I could NOT get any subtitle tracks to be recognized by the player inside Plex on any of my files. I know they are there and play fine if I play it on my computer's Plex client.

Besides these two issues, the samsung player is solid. Every movie I attempted to play that wasn't flagged with cinavia The picture and sound are perfect. There's 0 CPU usage on my NAS running PMS because the samsung is able to play the clips without trancoding.

Inside of plex, the transitions are not as smooth as they are on a computer. This appears to be a limitation of the app itself as it is only 3.5 megs and the Windows7 version is about 60 megs.

So sadly, cinavia is a big issue on this, if anyone knows a way around it, I'm happy to explore it. it seems if you want a totally compatible home media streaming experience, the mac mini or equivalent pc is the only way to go.

EDIT: I tried putting the same movie folders onto my flash drive and play that via the USB interface in the front of the player. When I did that, the subtitles were recognized on a some of the titles. Chapter selections are still not available (but fast forwarding and rewinding works). Audio language selection worked for each title.

I had a 1:1 copy of "the sessions" converted to MKV via MakeMKV which did not allow selection of the embedded subtitle stream (I observed this same behavior on the Sony S590)
post #30 of 162 Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ A shame about Cinavia.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Electronics Bd F7500 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - F7500 by PriceGrabber.com