PS4 Blu-ray Expected Technology - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This thread is motivated by the fact that I will only be buying a PS4 if the Blu-ray technology is worth it. I play videogames a bit, but nothing beats a great movie!

Has anyone seen any indicators that would lead them to believe that the PS4 will have Blu-ray technology worth buying say over a hifi Blu-ray player?

I am definitely not well versed in the tech speak, but I have seen the difference between a 30$ and a 700$ blu-ray player.

Only thing I have found is that PS4 games will be primarily Blu-ray which would lead me to think they are going to be using some nice hardware.

All thoughts would be great!!! even if its to tell me I am a NEWB.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

In doing a bit of research I found that the PS4 will have 6X rate vs a 2X. I assume this means a rate for how fast information can be read off the disc. Would this help with image/audio quality?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2013, 07:19 AM
sa

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Peterson View Post

Would this help with image/audio quality?

No, it only means games on disc will have faster load times and faster installs.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I think blue ray either works or not it's a digital output ones and zeros. PS 3 plays B/R as well as anything out there it just loads slow
just not as bad as the Sony DVD player in my bedroom or my 5 disk Sony DVD /SACD Spinner I won't even get into the old PS2 that thing takes days .

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #5 of 10 Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!!

do you think the PS4 will be even close to a Reference Blu-ray player?

only reason I would buy it over a marantz, oppo, or denon... or any brand depending on the reviews and price at the time.

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies!!

do you think the PS4 will be even close to a Reference Blu-ray player?

only reason I would buy it over a marantz, oppo, or denon... or any brand depending on the reviews and price at the time.

Thanks!

PS4 probably won,t play a blue ray any better than PS3 probably not much else will either
the Oppo and Marantz are supposed to be good I can really only speak to the PS3 mine is slow to load (typical Sony) and the transport could be better it's kinda cheap but it plays well
Ps4 might boot and load a little faster than but that is just conjecture on my part

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #7 of 10 Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This thread is motivated by the fact that I will only be buying a PS4 if the Blu-ray technology is worth it. I play videogames a bit, but nothing beats a great movie!

Has anyone seen any indicators that would lead them to believe that the PS4 will have Blu-ray technology worth buying say over a hifi Blu-ray player?

I am definitely not well versed in the tech speak, but I have seen the difference between a 30$ and a 700$ blu-ray player.

Only thing I have found is that PS4 games will be primarily Blu-ray which would lead me to think they are going to be using some nice hardware.

All thoughts would be great!!! even if its to tell me I am a NEWB.

Thanks!

PS4 is average mid point PC hardware not even high nothing special hardware wise in fact the CPU is low end AMD x86.APU
integrated AMD GPU is Radeon 7000 series decent but not high end 8GB GDDR5 memory is advantage also

APU AMD Jaguar part 2.0Ghz but 8 cores the advantage is it is a multi core dedicated game /media center box no windows running all the time
and using resources. If you are not using the PS4 for gaming /media center then a Wi Fi Blue ray player should be fine and cheaper also. the hardware changes in the PS4 VS PS3 affects mainly gaming not Blue ray .
1080p 30/60fps graphics are not difficult to PS4 or PS3 or most of the blue ray players on the market now.
just stick with a good brand . you can get a decent one for ~$100.00 -$200.00 sometimes much less than $100.00

IMO If you aren't gaming Just get a Wi-Fi blue ray Panasonic ,Toshiba ,Sony or similar blue ray or if you wan't to get spendy a Marantz or Oppo that may have the same blue ray drive parts in it as a Panny ,Toshiba or Sony .
For Music CD,DVD and B/ray Oppo's are very good they do music CD very well.Oppo has advantage in music CD good player overall.
Just for DVD /Blue ray then one of the others will be fine. depends on what you want all will play the movies fine.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 AM

Liked: 17
I wonder how much of an improvement the PS4 will be compared to my PS3 slim. I kinda of hope it will have IR but I think that's a bit of a long shot.
Also the new 8x drive should mean better speeds.
vilfrard likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The improvement will be that it will load faster. Bluray picture quality will be the same as any high end bluray player, Oppo, Marrantz, Denon, etc. Up scaling of DVD's it's what differs from one player to another. Also as for having IR, I believe it will be Bluetooth like the PS3. But in reality all we can do is speculate for now until it comes out and really test it. I for one, will be getting the PS4 for sure, that's why I have been waiting out since last year. I was going to get the Oppo 103 or Panasonic 500 but decided to wait. My PS3 still serves me well anyways.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #10 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Latinoheat,

Sounds like a fair assessment my PS3 plays BD and upscales DVD as good as any 'high end' BD player I've seen . ofc dedicated video card in PC up scales DVD as well as anything both are much better than cheap BD player . Makes me want to put a BD drive in the PC as they are hooked up to different sets .
The way I see it even if not gaming a PS3 makes a decent Netflix or networked DNLA streamer and excellent BD player . OTOH gaming on a large plasma is pretty cool.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page