Looking for a good non-upconverting blu-ray player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

This may sound like a weird request, but I'm trying to find a Blu-ray player that outputs 1080p when blu-rays are played but will NOT up-convert DVD 480p content. I know that sounds weird, but I have good reason, my Yamaha receiver does a FAR FAR FAR better job of up-converting 480p content then ANY blu-ray player I have ever seen (and yes it's possible I haven't seen great blu-ray players).

So I need a blu-ray player that basically plays native media content resolution with out up-converting. With out having to go through and fiddle with output settings every time I change content.

I want to replace my old 480p DVD player, but I just haven't found a blu-ray player that can match the picture quality of my DVD player paired with the receivers up-converting.

Ideally it would be a 3D blu-ray player in the $100-$400 range.

Yamaha RX-A2010 | Oppo PDP-103 | Samsung BD-F7500/Z | Samsung UN46D8000
Roku 2XS | Netgear ReadyNAS Pro 6 12TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Mods ask that all player requests go in the official "Help Me Choose" thread. You can repost your question there. You can also use the search function to using the term source direct.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/959985/official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Sony

'Source direct' will output 480i, because that's what's on the DVD. If you specifically require 480p that setting won't do.

I dunno what BDPs you've watched on but I haven't heard any special praise for the Yamaha AVR's upscaling. It's the Marvell that seems to get more attention than HQV now.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ah, sorry, how'd I miss that thread? Sorry, did look through the first 3 pages of threads and didn't see that, doh.

And thanks for helping even if I missed the official thread. "Source Direct" is my search key now!

As for up-converting, at least of the players I've seen my Yamaha does a far better job, but again I've seen primarily sub $200 players and many of them older units. Also, I thought DVD's can be pressed with 480p base resolution, not just 480i (I know still depends on content and the pressing).

Anyways, I'll go read some more and let this thread die out. Just wanted to say thanks to both of you.

Yamaha RX-A2010 | Oppo PDP-103 | Samsung BD-F7500/Z | Samsung UN46D8000
Roku 2XS | Netgear ReadyNAS Pro 6 12TB
post #5 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
All I know is my Tohisba HD-DVD player does a super job with those older 4:3 DVD's.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Caf View Post

Ah, sorry, how'd I miss that thread? Sorry, did look through the first 3 pages of threads and didn't see that, doh.

And thanks for helping even if I missed the official thread. "Source Direct" is my search key now!

As for up-converting, at least of the players I've seen my Yamaha does a far better job, but again I've seen primarily sub $200 players and many of them older units. Also, I thought DVD's can be pressed with 480p base resolution, not just 480i (I know still depends on content and the pressing).

Anyways, I'll go read some more and let this thread die out. Just wanted to say thanks to both of you.

Look at the 2012 and later Sony players, Sony calls it "Original Format" instead of source direct. Definitely available on on the 590 and 790.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Note all content from the Sony BDPs will be 480p for DVD material when original format/source direct is selected.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page