Official LG BP730 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Official LG BP730 Owners Thread

The LG BP730 looks sleek when you take it out of the box I must say. While the “magic remote” for the unit is “neat,” I think LG could have knocked $35 off the MSRP price and not included the magic remote and just marketed the unit as supporting a magic remote. That way, if your TV is an LG with a magic remote, it works great along with his premium player. My old remote from my BD670 works with the unit, as does the remote that came with the BP530. A classic remote is kind of nicer IMO when in bed watching movies over the magic remote.

As for the unit, it runs HOT. Opening the unit up reveals the same style heat sink used in the cheaper 2013 LG models, even though the chip used in the BP730 is more powerful. Even when playing a DVD title for 10 minutes in my 67 degree home, placing a hand on the top of the unit where the CPU is, I can feel the heat. Like other blu-ray player models this year, there is no rear fan exhaust like my 2011 model year BD670 had. This unit could use one.

After watching a DVD title for a half hour, I powered it down and opened it up again. The heat sink was HOT. Most other internal parts seem okay, but the LG dual band wireless adapter chipset was HOT, even though I was not streaming any network data.

On my second day of ownership, I powered on the unit and wanted to stream an album I had on my Netgear ReadyNAS. The BD730 powers up fast by delaying startup of network hardware (LAN & WLAN). The BP530 does the same as well. Two minutes pass. The unit was not connecting to my Netgear WNDR4700 router. It had been connecting fine to the 5Ghz band the night prior.

I went into the connection settings and the BP730 would only see 2.4Ghz access points in my area. Including my WNDR4700. I try to connect. It will not take the password. I do a factory reset of the unit. Same issue. Not seeing the 5Ghz band or taking a 2.4Ghz connection, even after temporarily disabling my wireless security.

I will be trying to a hardwired LAN connection later, but I will be exchanging the unit. Perhaps I got a “lemon?” If I do stay with the BP730, with the heat it gives off, I plan on getting a squaretrade extended warranty on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Liked: 10
I also had streaming issues on both wireless and wired (note - wired connection was using powerline adapters).

On wireless , had trouble establishing (and holding) a connection).

On wired (with the powerline adapters), a lot of pauses (presumably buffering or having connection issues) usually resulting in stream stopping and dropping me back to media list..

I picked up the unit and took it into where the router is (another room and upstairs) and did a hard wire connection to the router, and streaming was fine.

I have been using the same wired/power line connection for a couple of years now with the LG BD590 and very rarely had any issues, and certainly not this severe.

Looks like the BP730 needs a rock stead y, high level signal to stream effectively. Its going back to Best Buy first chance, and I'll stick with my 590. I'm disappointed because I wanted some of the new features (none really necessary) of the BP730. Having the browser builtin was nice.

Maybe there will be a firmware or driver upgrade before I get back the store.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM

QUESTION: How Do You Switch Regions on Modified RegionFree LG-BP730? -
There Are NO NUMBERS on the LG Remote Control.

For Example, How Do You Switch From Region B to Region A?

Thanking you in advance for your reply,
Enjoy! smile.gif

u4sa
post #4 of 27 Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 319
post #5 of 27 Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 PM

@mdavej - Thank you for your suggestion - tried several other available remotes (Samsung TV, Samsung BR, Sony Receiver) - but none seemed to work - numbers(?) on the LG BR730 remote control are specified to change region-codes in the instructions at the following (so far, no reply to my recent email) => http://www.rattlebyte.com/Shop.php?lang=en&cat_id=2&item_id=35 - and related => http://www.rattlebyte.com/Shop.php?lang=en&cat_id=1&item_id=34 - in any case - Thank you for your suggestion - and - Enjoy! smile.gif
post #6 of 27 Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM

@mdavej - Brief Followup - may have solved the problem - tried a new universal remote control (RCA RCR3273R - Radio Shack - $9.99+tax) and programmed it to LG "IR COMMAND CODE" => "30741" - seems to work ok at the moment - ie, turning off the LG unit and pressing "1" on the RCA RC automatically powers-on the LG unit and plays a "Region A" BR disc - ALSO - pressing "2" on the RC plays a "Region B" BR disc (expected to be ok, but not yet tested => pressing "3" for a "Region C" BR disc) - in any case - Thanks again for your comment - and - Enjoy! smile.gif
post #7 of 27 Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 AM

Hi

I have a BP 630 but I can't find the thread for it, and they can't be much different!

I've found that when you switch on the DVD player, netflix is no longer on the home screen and it cannot be searched for to download as an app. Has anyone found this yet? Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #8 of 27 Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeage View Post

Hi

I have a BP 630 but I can't find the thread for it, and they can't be much different!

I've found that when you switch on the DVD player, netflix is no longer on the home screen and it cannot be searched for to download as an app. Has anyone found this yet? Any ideas?

Thanks!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1317645/official-lg-bd690-670-650-6xx-series-thread

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #9 of 27 Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM

That's BD6XX series, not BP! Any ideas to help me?
post #10 of 27 Old 09-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
BP630 is a Euro model. Either this thread for the 730 or the US model thread should work. You might get more traffic in the X30 thread here. I added 630 to the thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461778/official-lg-bp530-430-330-owners-thread

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #11 of 27 Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 PM

[quote]Originally Posted by u4sa View Post

[b]QUESTION: How Do You Switch Regions on Modified RegionFree LG-BP730? -
There Are NO NUMBERS on the LG Remote Control.[/b]

For Example, How Do You Switch From Region B to Region A?

Thanking you in advance for your reply,
Enjoy! smile.gif

u4sa[/quote]

If this is the model region free mod you have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231008957874?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Then according to the directions

Region B is the default region

Setting the Blu-Ray region

Setting the Blu-Ray region can only be performed while the unit is in stand-by.

Make sure that the Quick Start mode of the unit is set to OFF!

● Press [ON/STANDBY] to turn off the unit.

● Press [1] to select Blu-Ray region A.

● Press [2] to select Blu-Ray region B. This is the initial setting.

● Press [3] to select Blu-Ray region C.

● The unit will power on automatically. BD-Video discs from the selected region can now be

played.

To disable the automatic power-on, press [BLUE] button.

To enable, press [YELLOW] button.

● Repeat the above sequence to play BD-Video discs from a different region.

Since the BP730 'smart remote' has no numbers, you will have to use a BD650/670/690 remote

the part # is AKB73295901 available for ~$20 on ebay.

On a side note the 'magic remote' is a battery hog.  I have to open the battery cover when not using it to keep the batteries from draining.

5x LG BD670, 2x LG BP730, 2x Hannspree ST289MUB, Vizio XVT3D474SV, XVT373SV, M3D460SR, M260MV, Samsung UN32F5500, 2x Panasonic DMR-EZ47V VHS/DVD-R w/ATSC tuner, Roku3, 2x iView 3500STBII, 3x Samsung GXSM530CF Cablecard Smartplayer
PM me if you have any questions on the above models I own
post #12 of 27 Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Since the BP730 'smart remote' has no numbers, you will have to use a BD650/670/690 remote the part # is AKB73295901 available for ~$20 on ebay.

As noted earlier (see above), an RCA Remote Control from Radio Shack (RCR3273R - $9.99+tax) and programmed to LG "IR COMMAND CODE" => "30741" - also seems to work ok - in any case - enjoy! smile.gif
post #13 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 AM

Hello all, I just bought the Euro version BP730 but I"m curious about the BD-R 50GB playback. In the specs it says that it can play BD-R and I tried a movie on a BD-R50 from a friend of mine, but when forwarding through by chapter the player stutters after the layer break. Does anyone know about these problems? Or does this only occur when you are fast forwarding?
For the record, I'm an enthusiastic (3D) filmmaker and I'm trying to find discs and playback capability to recommend to my customers when I'm producing in-company productions .
post #14 of 27 Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM

I went with LG primarily for the Private Sound feature, as my amp doesn't have a headphone jack. Turns out that feature is pretty much useless.

On my Samsung SG III, the app detects the player and is able to control it, but the sound quality for Private Sound is terrible - significant delay and the sound breaks up, making it un-listenable.

On an iPad, the app detects the player but when I select it, I'm prompted to install an older version of the app. The older version is an iPhone app and it doesn't detect the player at all.

I had originally tried the BP530, but the remote app didn't work at all, so I exchanged it for the BP730. The magic remote is kind of cool, but not sure it justifies the price difference.

I called LG Support but they were pretty useless - they agreed that the iPad app was broken and couldn't offer any assistance with the sound quality in the Android app.

Other features all seem to work - I use it mostly for MKV/USB playback, Netflix, and DLNA music playback. WiFi connectivity is good, even for streaming Netflix HD. I haven't tried streaming HD video from a PC yet - will get around to testing that one of these days. The player also has MiraCast built in, but I don't have any MiraCast compatible devices for testing that.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM

my 730 will not play back my avchds with proper ratio...
They work fine on my lg 590 and 390 and 330. If I rip the video to mkv
It will play proper off of a usb or network or optical (as a mkv).

oops I meant for this to be in lg bp730 thread

sorry...
post #16 of 27 Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 AM

Just upgraded to a BP730 from a BD670.. on the older player I could play MKV files streamed over my network, but on the new one they do not appear available in my shared drives. They will play off bluray discs, i have not tried off usb. Is there a work around for this and a way to make MKV titles appear on my shares?

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744
http://www.curemode.com
post #17 of 27 Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I also would be very interested in any response to this question. The Info on this player shows that it can play .mkv files. That is one of the reasons I bought it because I own a Synology and I have a few disk full of of these files.
Rich
post #18 of 27 Old 05-14-2014, 03:05 PM

I have both the LG player and the PS4. Anyone have any idea why it will play on the BP730 and not on the PS4?
post #19 of 27 Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 AM

From LG support here are the steps for pairing the Magic Remote of the TV to your Blu-Ray player:

1. Press the Smart button on the remote

2. Then go to the Icon Box that says Universal Remote ( it’s a grey box that has some red, green and yellow color buttons on it )

3. After you click on that it will ask you if you want to do the device control process, you would click on Ok or Continue.

4. Once you click on it, it will just let you know that this process can be done with the magic remote that you have and then click on Ok again, then you will see that it will ask you to select the device you want to control, you will select the one that looks like a CD and it will say Blu-Ray Player. 

5. Once you click on it, it will show you some brands that the TV can also control, scroll down and search for the one that would be LG and click on it, and after that go and click on Ok.

6. It will show you a small box after that with a box next to it that will say Remote 1 and under it should show a power button icon, a play icon and a pause icon push those button on it and it will turn off the player and back on, if playing a movie it will pause it and play it again.

7. After this click on the Ok and it will show that the process is completed, you can click on Complete and you should be good to go.

post #20 of 27 Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys,

i have this player, but it has big problems with my Synology DS 214.

The player se immediatly the Syn, i can go inside folders, but every video i try open, the screen become white, there is the cursoor that i can still move around the screen, but player is blocked. I need unplug from power!!!!
I tried even with NAS direct to the Player by ry45... nothing, always Lg blocked!!!

Is is a problem of me, or is a general big bug?

The Syno works perfectly with my wdtv and another mediaplayer, and with Tv LG too!!!

The FW is the last one

Many thanks

Ale

Last edited by robbynaish; 06-21-2014 at 11:41 PM.
post #21 of 27 Old 06-29-2014, 01:58 AM

Liked: 0
bluray player region free

it's possible to make lg bp730(euro) region free ,without hardware modifications? it's possible to activate all bluray region through a code or service menu in this player?

I really like this blu-ray player, but if dont exist any possibility to change region of bluray in this player, exist a bluray model of any brand free region?
post #22 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbynaish View Post
Hi guys,

i have this player, but it has big problems with my Synology DS 214.

The player se immediatly the Syn, i can go inside folders, but every video i try open, the screen become white, there is the cursoor that i can still move around the screen, but player is blocked. I need unplug from power!!!!
I tried even with NAS direct to the Player by ry45... nothing, always Lg blocked!!!

Is is a problem of me, or is a general big bug?

The Syno works perfectly with my wdtv and another mediaplayer, and with Tv LG too!!!

The FW is the last one

Many thanks

Ale
Hello. Lately but I found the solution.

In you synology control panel go to dnla setting and in "DMA Compatibility" find your lg player and modify your profil to generic instead of LG TV. And then save.

This solve the blank screen problem on my new lg bp740
post #23 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thxusb,
It's nice to know that others own Synologys. After years I finally needed to upgrade to the 12 bays DS2413+. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be to culling .mkv files. Now with 24 TB's full I am finally needing to delete files keeping at least 3 TB's free. My wife did tell me I needed a hobby that didn't take up space, and this is it.
Rich

Last edited by RichJH; 07-08-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: edit
post #24 of 27 Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 PM

great info,mkv files. Now with 24 TB's full I am finally needing to delete files keeping at least 3 TB's free. My wife did tell me I needed a hobby that didn't take up space, and this is it.thank you
post #25 of 27 Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxusb View Post
Hello. Lately but I found the solution.

In you synology control panel go to dnla setting and in "DMA Compatibility" find your lg player and modify your profil to generic instead of LG TV. And then save.

This solve the blank screen problem on my new lg bp740
Hi dear,

thanks , in fact i fixed it in the same way you suggested...

Now i found another bug......... at least on my player, upgradet to last FW.

I tried different MKV, and all have thi same problems with subs.

i have 3 subs for example 1) ita 2) ita 3) eng...

When i try to change i read ITA, ITA e 3 (instead of eng)

If i have 2 subs 1) ITA 2) ENG... i see only ITA ed 2

Is it only a problem of me? The same MKV on another player is pertfect

Thanks
Ale
post #26 of 27 Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 AM

When is the BP740 going to be available in the US?

5x LG BD670, 2x LG BP730, 2x Hannspree ST289MUB, Vizio XVT3D474SV, XVT373SV, M3D460SR, M260MV, Samsung UN32F5500, 2x Panasonic DMR-EZ47V VHS/DVD-R w/ATSC tuner, Roku3, 2x iView 3500STBII, 3x Samsung GXSM530CF Cablecard Smartplayer
PM me if you have any questions on the above models I own
post #27 of 27 Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM

I have a "Globe" icon flashing in the upper right corner of my screen.
What is it trying to tell me?
How do I get rid of it?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Electronics Bp730 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bp730 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page