PAL to NTSC player capability? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I have an Elite DV-49 that has DVD-A and SACD capability. It's just a DVD player which I'm fine with as I just play Blu Ray via my PS3.
The tiny little versatile player has been an excellent asset.

What has changed this however is I ordered some of Depeche Mode's back catalogue with bonus 5.1 discs from WOW HD Canada. I'm all excited to receive as I patiently await their arrival. Then a cruel gift to ruin my Friday arrival home from work... sadly there was no indication that these discs were PAL based and I figured since this was specifically a Canada microsite it didn't even cross my mind there would be any compatibility concerns. The discs are region free ("0") but are PAL not NTSC. My trusty DV-49 puked it out when I put it in and so did the PS3. So a word of warning to those ordering anything from WOW HD. I know they're based overseas but figured given the fact that they're actively marketing to Canadian consumers I assumed they would have this sorted. Not safe to assume obviously.

Given I scored the DV-49 for $99 a few years back on a great deal, I'm not really thrilled at having to shell out $500 for an Oppo with PAL to NTSC conversion ability just to tap into a few of these Depeche Mode multichannel mixes. I know the Oppo is a nice unit and has extremely generous flexibility and great quality, but I was very happy with my setup prior to this little bomb.

Does anyone know of any other Blu Ray or DVD players with PAL to NTSC, SACD and DVD-A capability? I've not had any luck identifying anything as of yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can lend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm surprised the DV-49 isn't dual format, since there is a region free firmware hack for the Euro model 610 which also can be applied to the 49. Not much point otherwise.

You can normally play R0 PAL DVD on the computer, try it. If it's one disc, it's not worth buying a new player.

If you're in Can the Walmart Seiki 660 is dual format and can convert but doesn't play SACD/DVD-A.

I have the Pioneer BDP-140 which converts PAL to NTSC, dunno about the conversion ability of 52FD/53FD, or this year's models the 150/62FD.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #3 of 3 Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post

Does anyone know of any other Blu Ray or DVD players with PAL to NTSC, SACD and DVD-A capability? I've not had any luck identifying anything as of yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can lend.

All of the Oppo players have these capabilities. There are probably modded players from some other brands that will do these things. A simple Internet search should turn up examples.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page