I'm completely befuddled. I have had no problems with my PS3 for as long as I've had it (one of the first models) until now. I don't do firmware updates all that often--usually when something forces me to update. Such was the case recently when trying to use Amazon Instant Video. I was forced to updated to firmware version 4.40 (didn't check to see what I had before the update). No, audio doesn't work on DVDs.
I have a commercial version TV with no speakers, so I feed HDMI directly from my PS3 to the TV, and I use the Optical Digital audio output from the PS3 to my Denon AVR-2805. Everything was working just fine, as I mentioned, until I did the firmware update. This is what I've found:
- I'm definitely still getting sound from my PS3, because I hear the ticks from scrolling through the menus.
- I'm getting sound from the Netflix App
- I am NOT getting sound when playing Blu-ray discs
- I am NOT getting sound when playing regular DVDs.
- I have tried multiple optical cords and none work.
- I bought a Sony BDP-S590 and tried optical AND coax from there, with the same problems (Netflix audio worked, but DVD and Blu-ray audio did not). I checked to see if there was a firmware update on that player, and there was not, so I'm assuming it is in sync with whatever changes were rolled out in general (PS3 + blu-ray players).
- I did a complete reset of my PS3 (took about 3+ hours), same issues.
Unfortunately, I have no way to test audio through HDMI, because my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, and as mentioned above, my TV doesn't have speakers.
I did change the Optical Digital Audio Output Format to Linear PCM (options are Bitstream Mix, Bitstream Direct, Linear PCM), I get audio in 2 channels and the sound quality is not good. I also tried several different configurations (multi-output audio toggled, etc) and the results were either no sound at all or sound as described already.
Is it possible that a firmware update could cause this? Is it possible Sony changed something (with HDCP) that would break this setup (HDMI video out and Optical Digital audio out)?
Does anyone else have a similar setup? If so, have you had problems after the firmware update?
Any ideas on troubleshooting or how I might fix this?
I really hope the answer is not get a receiver with HDMI input.
Any help is greatly appreciated.