AVS Forum banner

are blu-ray's region locked? can they be played in PS3 worldwide ?

696 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  wmcclain 
#1 ·
Hi there, i was wondering if blu-ray's region locked and can they be played in PS3 worldwide ? are there any restrictions and any things which we need to keep in mind on what type of blu-ray players we need to use/what all can play them ?

tnx

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankutty  /t/1466563/are-blu-rays-region-locked-can-they-be-played-in-ps3-worldwide#post_23160311

Hi there, i was wondering if blu-ray's region locked and can they be played in PS3 worldwide ? are there any restrictions and any things which we need to keep in mind on what type of blu-ray players we need to use/what all can play them ?

tnx

Some are region coded, not all. You need to be aware of region coding as well as the occasional 50hz content on non-US discs which some US players (like the PS3) will not play.

-Bill

#3 ·
Certain studios, like Disney and their subsidiaries, always release their BDs region-locked. Warner, Paramount and Universal are not region-locked in my experience. Smaller disc companies like Criterion and Kino are also generally region-locked.

#4 ·
I was led to believe by some of my coworkers that PS3's can generally play any type of BD's and are the most flexible type of BluRay players available for consumers. Its true that they are primarily game consoles, but i occasionally try to use them for home entertainment as well.

Was my understanding incorrect about PS3's ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.