4:3 BD Content on a 4:3 TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a BD player with a composite video output that will properly display 4:3 BD content on a 4:3 standard definition TV. By "properly display" I mean the 4:3 image should fill the ENTIRE 4:3 screen without geometric distortion.

I have "Star Trek: TOS" on BD in which the 4:3 image is pillarboxed within the 16:9 frame. So far I've tried a Sony BDP-S590 and an LG BP220; neither one can properly display the content. The "best" that can be had is the 4:3 picture is pillarboxed within the 16:9 frame, which itself is letterboxed on the 4:3 screen. In other words, the 4:3 picture is severely windowboxed on my 4:3 TV screen.

Does such a BD player exist? So far no dealer I've been to even has a 4:3 TV on which this can be tested, so I end up having to purchase a BD player, try it at home, and then return it when it doesn't function as I want it to.

I have found that one cannot rely on owner's manuals, since these don't get into enough detail (or are just plain wrong).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 198
BD content is never true 4:3, its always 16:9 with matting for a 4:3 image. Therefore the only way to display it "full screen" on a 4:3 monitor is by zooming.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
BD supports SD 480i60 4:3 and 16:9, as in many 'extras'.

In the OP's case, the 4:3 content presumably is HD and hardcoded as 1080p 16:9 with pillarboxing.

I can think of a complicated way to display this as full screen 4:3 SD with video processors and adaptors but wouldn't make sense when the simple solution is to use the cheaper DVD version.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, the Star Trek BD content is 1080p HD and pillarboxed at 4:3.

The 4:3 TV (a Proton VT-296) isn't my primary display device (although it used to be); it is now relegated to the bedroom. I have it connected to a Pioneer LaserDisc player, which is showing major signs of distress after approximately 23 years. I have all the original Star Trek TOS episodes on laser disc and recently purchased them on BD, figuring a BD player will have a mode for displaying 4:3 content full screen on a 4:3 TV.

The external ATSC tuner I have connected to the Proton TV does have the ability to chop off the sides of a 16:9 image and display it full screen on a 4:3 TV, which is what I want to do with the Star Trek TOS content. I guess this function has been lost! smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Just tried a refurbished Philips BDP5506 (purchased via Walmart.com). The "4:3 Crop" TV Display option had me hoping for the best, but it turned out to be the same as the other two BD players I tried. Back to Walmart it goes!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Lg Blu Ray Disc Player Bp220 , Philips Bdp5506 F7 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page