Advertisement

post #62 of 164 Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Well.....

I've done every .CUE file trick I can think of. But sadly I can't find a way to play multiple .WAV or .Flac files gapless frown.gif

Anybody else had any luck with this?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Oppo seems to be telling me there is nothing wrong with my cue files and that they are able to load them if they change random lines, whatever that means. Yet, none of my cue files will load and playback from my Ethernet-attached NAS via SMB. rolleyes.gif See, this is why they need to can this cue file nonsense and give us true gapless playback. Period.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #64 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's what they told me exactly in a series of emails:

Quote:
Based on our observations, there was nothing inherently wrong with your CUE files since a simple swap of the filenames allowed the CUE file to load the player to engage audio playback....

Quote:
Ensure that all the files are in the same directory as the CUE sheet and none are corrupt or missing. We took your CUE sheet and replaced the "FILE "*.flac" WAVE" segments with 10 random files, and the CUE sheet loaded properly with the CUE Title, Track Title, Tract Artist and Track Genre being pulled from your provided CUE sheet.

I don't really get how they can be saying that there is nothing wrong with the cue sheet, but at the same time saying they have to remove certain lines and swap them with random file names in order to get it to load in the Oppo. I'd point out that none of my files are corrupt as they playback perfectly from the very same NAS via DLNA and SMB without the cue sheet, all of the files are organized into their own folders (i.e. every "Album" is self-contained within its own directory) and the cue files load without issue in VLC. It's the Oppo 105 that seems to have a hiccup with this branching file playback and cue file.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #65 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppo 
Ensure that all the files are in the same directory as the CUE sheet and none are corrupt or missing. We took your CUE sheet and replaced the "FILE "*.flac" WAVE" segments with 10 random files, and the CUE sheet loaded properly with the CUE Title, Track Title, Tract Artist and Track Genre being pulled from your provided CUE sheet.
I agree with Oppo on this... I was able to play my multiple .Flac and .WAV files... But not gaplessly.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

Here's what they told me exactly in a series of emails:

Quote:
Based on our observations, there was nothing inherently wrong with your CUE files since a simple swap of the filenames allowed the CUE file to load the player to engage audio playback....

Quote:

I don't really get how they can be saying that there is nothing wrong with the cue sheet, but at the same time saying they have to remove certain lines and swap them with random file names in order to get it to load in the Oppo. I'd point out that none of my files are corrupt as they playback perfectly from the very same NAS via DLNA and SMB without the cue sheet, all of the files are organized into their own folders (i.e. every "Album" is self-contained within its own directory) and the cue files load without issue in VLC. It's the Oppo 105 that seems to have a hiccup with this branching file playback and cue file.

They don't have your music files. What they are saying is that when they replaced the names of YOUR files with a set of tracks they DO have (no other changes) then your CUE file worked.

That says the problem is not the parsing of the CUE file itself, but something about your particular music track files -- i.e., their location or playability.

Did you consider their comment that all the files need to be in THE SAME DIRECTORY as the CUE file itself?
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #67 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 AM

Liked: 17
My Oppo is just playing a Cue file, pointed to two .dff files. Gaplessly. Cue file (Click to show)
Quote:
PERFORMER "Kraftwerk"
TITLE "Minimum-Maximum"
FILE "Kraftwerk - Minimum-Maximum (CD 1).dff" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "The Man Machine"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Planet Of Visions"
INDEX 01 07:55:18
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Tour De France Etape 1"
INDEX 01 12:41:00
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Chrono"
INDEX 01 17:03:23
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Tour De France Etape 2"
INDEX 01 18:32:38
TRACK 06 AUDIO
TITLE "Vitamin"
INDEX 01 23:21:35
TRACK 07 AUDIO
TITLE "Tour De France"
INDEX 01 30:03:18
TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "Autobahn"
INDEX 01 36:21:33
TRACK 09 AUDIO
TITLE "The Model"
INDEX 01 45:13:00
TRACK 10 AUDIO
TITLE "Neon Lights"
INDEX 01 48:54:60
FILE "Kraftwerk - Minimum-Maximum (CD 2).dff" WAVE
TRACK 11 AUDIO
TITLE "Radioactivity"
PREGAP 00:02:00
TRACK 12 AUDIO
TITLE "Trans Europe Express"
INDEX 01 07:41:64
TRACK 13 AUDIO
TITLE "Metal On Metal"
INDEX 01 12:43:43
TRACK 14 AUDIO
TITLE "Numbers"
INDEX 01 17:12:18
TRACK 15 AUDIO
TITLE "Computer World"
INDEX 01 21:39:66
TRACK 16 AUDIO
TITLE "Home Computer"
INDEX 01 24:35:36
TRACK 17 AUDIO
TITLE "Pocket Calculator"
INDEX 01 30:30:48
TRACK 18 AUDIO
TITLE "Dentaku"
INDEX 01 33:27:68
TRACK 19 AUDIO
TITLE "The Robots"
INDEX 01 36:43:51
TRACK 20 AUDIO
TITLE "Elektro Kardiogramm"
INDEX 01 44:07:32
TRACK 21 AUDIO
TITLE "Aero Dynamic"
INDEX 01 48:48:47
TRACK 22 AUDIO
TITLE "Music Non Stop"
INDEX 01 56:02:47
post #68 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Woo Hoo! That's worth a cookie.

I think this is the first "gapless" success across multiple files we've had reported here with the new firmware.

I wonder whether the issue is which file type you are using? (dff vs. flac)

Just to be clear, you are saying that the transition BETWEEN the two files is gapless -- not just the transitions between tracks WITHIN each of the two files, right?
--Bob

post #69 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Woo Hoo! That's worth a cookie.

I think this is the first "gapless" success across multiple files we've had reported here with the new firmware.

I wonder whether the issue is which file type you are using? (dff vs. flac)

Just to be clear, you are saying that the transition BETWEEN the two files is gapless -- not just the transitions between tracks WITHIN each of the two files, right?
Oops! I guess I was too early with my statement! Let me check if between last song of side 1 and first song of side 2 of that album is a gap. I see a PREGAP of 2 seconds in the cue file. I must say I had created the cue file some weeks ago before the Oppo could read such cue files for multiple music files. Not sure anymore if this PREGAP is needed at all. Maybe I can remove it.

Hmmm... playing that cue file by foobar it seems to be gapless. The problem is the last song of side 1 is fading out cleanly. I shall try another double album.

OUCH! I beg everyone`s pardon... *blush*. Big misunderstanding! I still merge the single music files to a big file and I am doing this for DSD files only. I have a Squeezebox for my FLAC files. So, in my case I only need this multiple music file thing for double albums. Sorry!
post #70 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzohr View Post

Oops! I guess I was too early with my statement! Let me check if between last song of side 1 and first song of side 2 of that album is a gap. I see a PREGAP of 2 seconds in the cue file. I must say I had created the cue file some weeks ago before the Oppo could read such cue files for multiple music files. Not sure anymore if this PREGAP is needed at all. Maybe I can remove it.

Hmmm... playing that cue file by foobar it seems to be gapless. The problem is the last song of side 1 is fading out cleanly. I shall try another double album.

A double album with each CD would not be an appropriate test for gapless playback. There will always be some silence between discs because of the lead out at the end of the final song on disc 1.

Some examples of the proper way to test for gapless playback would be:

1. Rip a live album with a separate file for each song. Is there a break in applause between tracks?

2. Rip The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album with a separate file for each song. Is there a gap between the end of the first "Sgt. Pepper" and "With A Little Help From My Friends"?

3. Rip Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side Of The Moon", with a separate file for each song. Is there a gap between the end of "On The Run" (clocks ticking quietly) and "Time" (loud clock chimes)?
post #71 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 12:07 PM

@cheld... yes, you are right about double album. At least the songs on the two SACDs of that Kraftwerk album need gapless playback. It is a kind of live album (from different concerts) with applause between tracks. I will try the way you suggested tomorrow. It is getting late here.
post #72 of 164 Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

rolleyes.gif See, this is why they need to can this cue file nonsense and give us true gapless playback. Period.

I know we were told not to talk about that, but I agree. I can't get it to work either, and the thought of having to go through my hundreds of folders and create these arcane text files seems crazy, to be honest.

I'm going to plead my (our) case directly to Oppo, as I know others have.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in the meantime, just in case someone comes up with an (easy) way to implement this.

- Mark
post #73 of 164 Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 AM

I am just testing the new version of the Media Control HD app. The older version could see the cue files and play them (as one big file) at least , the new version can not even see these cue files.
I second GoldenBoy, Oppo should give us gapless playback without this cue file procedure.
post #74 of 164 Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I am just testing the new version of the Media Control HD app. The older version could see the cue files and play them (as one big file) at least , the new version can not even see these cue files.
I second GoldenBoy, Oppo should give us gapless playback without this cue file procedure.

Have you alerted Oppo customer service?
post #75 of 164 Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM

No. Not yet. There are some other issues as mismatching track number of the played song and the truck number showed in the Oppo`s display and music files from NAS are played in a kind of "shuffle" mode and not beginning with track 01, track 02 and so on. Strange. These issues only happen when playing music files from NAS.

Btw, I created a cue file "by hand" for the first side of that mentioned Kraftwerk album. Seperate file for each song. Here is the Cue file (Click to show)
Quote:
PERFORMER "Kraftwerk"
TITLE "Minimum-Maximum"
FILE "01 - Kraftwerk - The Man Machine.dff" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "The Man Machine"
FILE "02 - Kraftwerk - Planet Of Visions.dff" WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Planet Of Visions"
FILE "03 - Kraftwerk - Tour De France Etape 1.dff" WAVE
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Tour De France Etape 1"
FILE "04 - Kraftwerk - Chrono.dff" WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Chrono"
FILE "05 - Kraftwerk - Tour De France Etape 2.dff" WAVE
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Tour De France Etape 2"
FILE "06 - Kraftwerk - Vitamin.dff" WAVE
TRACK 06 AUDIO
TITLE "Vitamin"
FILE "07 - Kraftwerk - Tour De France.dff" WAVE
TRACK 07 AUDIO
TITLE "Tour De France"
FILE "08 - Kraftwerk - Autobahn.dff" WAVE
TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "Autobahn"
FILE "09 - Kraftwerk - The Model.dff" WAVE
TRACK 09 AUDIO
TITLE "The Model"
FILE "10 - Kraftwerk - Neon Lights.dff" WAVE
TRACK 10 AUDIO
TITLE "Neon Lights"

Foobar plays them gaplessly via this cue file. With the Oppo there are gaps between the songs rolleyes.gif

The mentioned "shuffle mode"... Oppo still can not sort by numbers via smb. I almost had forgotten about these sorting issues.
post #76 of 164 Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post

Have you alerted Oppo customer service?
Done.
post #77 of 164 Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Done.

Cool :-) Let us know how they respond!
post #78 of 164 Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM

They answered within 15 min! smile.gif Well, they were especially interested in the issue about the strangely sorted playlist when chosing the music files (from NAS) by the app. So after two mails more and two screenshots I made from tv they sent me this:
Quote:
We have forward your observations to our engineers and they will use them to work on enhancing the MediaControlHD through additional software revisions.
post #79 of 164 Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They don't have your music files. What they are saying is that when they replaced the names of YOUR files with a set of tracks they DO have (no other changes) then your CUE file worked.

That says the problem is not the parsing of the CUE file itself, but something about your particular music track files -- i.e., their location or playability.

Did you consider their comment that all the files need to be in THE SAME DIRECTORY as the CUE file itself?
--Bob

My files ARE in the same directory as the cue file itself. I'm neither a novice NOR an idiot. Besides, they DO have my files, I sent them an album at their request. They can't get them to play either. Curiously enough, they play perfectly well without the cue file on the Oppo and they play perfectly well with the cue file in VLC. Oppo claims the cue file won't load in Foobar either, but I've not tested that personally. This issue also affects EVERY cue file for EVERY album in EVERY directory on TWO NAS drives. Not likely the issue is on my end.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #80 of 164 Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I apologize for jumping to a conclusion. I've no idea what could be going wrong here, but since OPPO can reproduce the problem, presumably they'll be able to figure it out.
--Bob

post #81 of 164 Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ I apologize for jumping to a conclusion. I've no idea what could be going wrong here, but since OPPO can reproduce the problem, presumably they'll be able to figure it out.
--Bob

Apology accepted, perhaps I was a little harsh in my reply as well, in retrospect. It's all good. smile.gif I hope Oppo can get the issue resolved. I'm going to contact them again, since I haven't heard back from them after they told me they were going to check the files in VLC. They typically use Foobar as their reference testing software for audio playback, apparently, and VLC for video only. But, if I am able to play all of my cue files in VLC, but they will not load on the Oppo or in Foobar, something strange must be going on from a compatibility standpoint in the way XLD is generating the cue files that neither the Oppo nor Foobar can deal with. Hmm.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #82 of 164 Old 08-23-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Oppo has pretty much said they don't consider the issue their problem, since the cue file won't load in Foobar, and that's what they use as their reference, never mind that the cue file will load elsewhere, like VLC, and there's no issue with the files themselves being corrupt whatsoever. rolleyes.gif So now, we have to be locked into creating Foobar compatible cue files that aren't gapless anyway, by all accounts. From the ridiculous to the sublime.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #83 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I've carried out some more multiple file tests using tweaked CUE sheets. This time using MP3 and AAC.M4A audio, as well as Flac and WAV... No joy frown.gif

Anyway, what I've consistently noticed is. Each audio file does not play right to the end. It finishes playing/switching with a couple of seconds left to go. This being the case, there's no way any CUE sheet creation can correct this. eek.gif

Indeed, I've even tried making a CUE sheet that would trick the Oppo into thinking each audio track was a couple of seconds longer. And even though the Oppo displayed each track as being 2 seconds longer, the idea failed.

Bummer!

post #84 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Oppo has pretty much said they don't consider the issue their problem, since the cue file won't load in Foobar, and that's what they use as their reference, never mind that the cue file will load elsewhere, like VLC, and there's no issue with the file's themselves being corrupt whatsoever. rolleyes.gif So now, we have to be locked into creating Foobar compatible cue files that aren't gapless anyway, by all accounts. From the ridiculous to the sublime.
I had the issue that foobar couldn`t read the cue files, I have created with dsdmerge. The Oppo could. Solution was simple. I simply had to add the file format in this line "FILE "name of the title.dff" WAVE"
I have compared your cue file with mine. I have no idea why the Oppo or foobar doesn`t accept yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Indeed, I've even tried making a CUE sheet that would trick the Oppo into thinking each audio track was a couple of seconds longer. And even though the Oppo displayed each track as being 2 seconds longer, the idea failed.
That`s creative! How did you add the seconds? My INDEX lines in the cue sheet for multiple files always look like this "INDEX 01 00:00:00"
post #85 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That`s creative! How did you add the seconds? My INDEX lines in the cue sheet for multiple files always look like this "INDEX 01 00:00:00"

Here's an example:
Code:
PERFORMER "The Beatles"
TITLE "Abbey Road (7 Track Cut) CUE File Test"
REM DATE 1969
REM GENRE Rock
FILE "11 - Sun King.m4a" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "11 - Sun King (2:26.266)"
    PERFORMER "The Beatles"
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
FILE "12 - Mean Mr. Mustard.m4a" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "12 - Mean Mr. Mustard (1:06.533)"
    PERFORMER "The Beatles"
    INDEX 00 02:28:26
FILE "13 - Polythene Pam.m4a" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "13 - Polythene Pam (1:12.640)"
    PERFORMER "The Beatles"
    INDEX 00 01:08:53
FILE "14 - She Came in Through the Bathroom Window.m4a" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "14 - She Came in Through the Bathroom Window (1:58.626)"
    PERFORMER "The Beatles"
    INDEX 00 01:14:64
FILE "15 - Golden Slumbers.m4a" WAVE
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "15 - Golden Slumbers (1:31.760)"
    PERFORMER "The Beatles"
    INDEX 00 02:00:63
FILE "16 - Carry That Weight.m4a" WAVE
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "16 - Carry That Weight (1:36.466)"
    PERFORMER "The Beatles"
    INDEX 00 01:33:76
FILE "17 - The End.m4a" WAVE
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "17 - The End (2:21.613)"
    PERFORMER "The Beatles"
    INDEX 00 01:38:47

Cheers

post #86 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 AM

I see. Thank you! What a pity, the Oppo is quite stubborn concerning the gaps.
post #87 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, what I've consistently noticed is. Each audio file does not play right to the end. It finishes playing/switching with a couple of seconds left to go. This being the case, there's no way any CUE sheet creation can correct this. eek.gif
For the purpose of testing.... I've just tried doing something very impractical and added a couple of seconds to each of the multiple files (to compensate for the previously mentioned 2 second cut-off). And although I've managed to get a bit closer to achieving multiple file gapless playback nirvana... It still not perfect mad.gif

The Oppo still wants to parse and render each file separately, instead of keeping the renderer open.

post #88 of 164 Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Well that sounds more like a bug. In other words it is at least TRYING to play multiple files from a single CUE. It's just playing it back incorrectly. So in some perverse way I would consider this "progress" (i.e. it's a problem that can be reported to Oppo to have them fix rather than a feature request that they can merely say "we're working on").

BTW what workflow are you using to get from silver CD to CUE, both with single large FLAC and multiple files?
post #89 of 164 Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post

BTW what workflow are you using to get from silver CD to CUE, both with single large FLAC and multiple files?
EAC and/or CueRipper to create the basic multiple or single audio and cue files...

post #90 of 164 Old 11-22-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Dear Moderators/Admins,

Given that much of the Cue file discussions within this topic are related to gapless playback. Of which, both features have been improved with today's 1120B beta firmware release. Can the topic title be amended to include the phrase 'Cue Files/Gapless playback support' please?

Many thanks

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105 , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page