Oppo BDP-103/105 Cue Files/Gapless playback support - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 212 Old 04-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
^ The CUE file looks properly formatted to me. (NOTE to readers: Due to the way the AVS Forum board software strips leading spaces off each line, you need to Quote the post above with the CUE file in it to see the indentation structure of the CUE file. Indents are required for proper parsing of the CUE file.)

What do you have selected in the view choices when you play this CUE file? Those are the choices in the upper right corner of the OPPO media files browser screen. Things like Artist vs. Album, and List vs. Thumbnails.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 212 Old 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The CUE file looks properly formatted to me. (NOTE to readers: Due to the way the AVS Forum board software strips leading spaces off each line, you need to Quote the post above with the CUE file in it to see the indentation structure of the CUE file. Indents are required for proper parsing of the CUE file.)

What do you have selected in the view choices when you play this CUE file? Those are the choices in the upper right corner of the OPPO media files browser screen. Things like Artist vs. Album, and List vs. Thumbnails.
--Bob
Folder View is what comes up when I highlight "Music" and press "OK". That is the view I stick with since I have a separate folder for each composer or Artist and then have subfolders containing the Cue File and FLAC file only for the particular album.
post #183 of 212 Old 04-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I think you'll have to go to OPPO Tech Support with this one. You aren't doing anything unusual, so this shouldn't be happening. Tech Support typically monitors their email even when the office is closed on weekends and holidays.

While you are waiting, the only thing I can suggest is the general nostrum for whenever the player starts doing something funky: Do a complete Reset. Like this:

1) Remove any disc from the tray.

2) Save your Settings to a USB stick: Setup > Device Setup > Configuration Management

3) Erase Persistent Storage. Then Reset Factory Defaults. It's OK to do the Reset version which preserves account credentials, so you won't have to re-enter those afterwards.

4) Power off the player -- as always, do a normal power off. I.e., don't just cut off wall power suddenly via some sort of external, power management device.

5) Unplug the player from wall power. While still unplugged, press and hold the power button for a few seconds. This is to discharge any residual power and make sure even the lowest level of the player hardware has to reboot afresh.

6) Plug in, power up, and reload your Saved Settings from the USB stick.

7) Power down once more. Settings are saved during the power down cycle.

The only other thing you might want to try is to re-install the current firmware. You can do that by downloading a fresh copy of the version for install from a USB stick. When you power up, if not offered the choice automatically to re-install, you can initiate it from Setup > Device Setup > Upgrade

One other thing that occurs to me, if your OPPO has a "Region Free" hardware modification, consider disconnecting that to see if it is the culprit. You may have to re-install the firmware after disconnecting the 3rd party hardware mod.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #184 of 212 Old 04-26-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
^ I think you'll have to go to OPPO Tech Support with this one. You aren't doing anything unusual, so this shouldn't be happening. Tech Support typically monitors their email even when the office is closed on weekends and holidays.

While you are waiting, the only thing I can suggest is the general nostrum for whenever the player starts doing something funky: Do a complete Reset. Like this:

1) Remove any disc from the tray.

2) Save your Settings to a USB stick: Setup > Device Setup > Configuration Management

3) Erase Persistent Storage. Then Reset Factory Defaults. It's OK to do the Reset version which preserves account credentials, so you won't have to re-enter those afterwards.

4) Power off the player -- as always, do a normal power off. I.e., don't just cut off wall power suddenly via some sort of external, power management device.

5) Unplug the player from wall power. While still unplugged, press and hold the power button for a few seconds. This is to discharge any residual power and make sure even the lowest level of the player hardware has to reboot afresh.

6) Plug in, power up, and reload your Saved Settings from the USB stick.

7) Power down once more. Settings are saved during the power down cycle.

The only other thing you might want to try is to re-install the current firmware. You can do that by downloading a fresh copy of the version for install from a USB stick. When you power up, if not offered the choice automatically to re-install, you can initiate it from Setup > Device Setup > Upgrade

One other thing that occurs to me, if your OPPO has a "Region Free" hardware modification, consider disconnecting that to see if it is the culprit. You may have to re-install the firmware after disconnecting the 3rd party hardware mod.
--Bob
Bob:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I might contact Oppo Tech Support but I am not going to do any resetting. Everything is working great with the OPPO except for this weird cue file glitch. It might have something to do with the audio specs of the multi channel files I am playing. I will experiment tomorrow by creating a cue file from a regular 16 bit 44.1KHz 2 channel source and see what happens. I will report back here. It is not the worst thing in the world if I have to manually press the "Stop" button. Just a slight annoyance.
post #185 of 212 Old 04-26-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnvideo View Post
Hi:

1. After playback has been completed via the Cue File, the player then continues to play the actual FLAC file from the beginning as if there is no Cue File present in the folder. Shouldn't playback stop at the end of the Cue File?
The only way I can get a track or multiple tracks to repeat from the .cue file is if I have the Oppo playback option set to "Repeat 1" or "Repeat All". Make sure you don't have either of those set during playback of your music.
post #186 of 212 Old 04-27-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
The only way I can get a track or multiple tracks to repeat from the .cue file is if I have the Oppo playback option set to "Repeat 1" or "Repeat All". Make sure you don't have either of those set during playback of your music.
No, Repeat has never been selected.

I can see on my TV screen that the actual FLAC file has begun playing after the cue file playback has finished.

I did contact OPPO tech support.

But I will check if this happens today with a normal 16 bit 44.1KHz 2 channel flac file.

Update:

If I play the cue file from the beginning, then when it ends, the actual FLAC file begins playing.

But if I scroll to a track other than the 1st track and play from there to the end, Then Playback Stops and the actual FLAC file does not starting playing. So if I wish to hear the entire album, I guess I should select the FLAC file, not the CUE file. If I then decide to skip to a particular track, I can open the Cue file and starting playing from that track to the end.

Further Update:

I received an email from OPPO tech support stating that both issues I reported to them have been confirmed and that their engineers will be working on having them resolved in a future firmware release.

Last edited by captnvideo; 04-27-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
post #187 of 212 Old 05-02-2015, 04:43 AM

Single Cue File - Multiple Flac Files

Hi:

Due to size limitations, I had to break up Bach's Mass in B Minor into two FLAC files. However, I would like them played continuously. Is there a way I can combine two cue files into one and, if so, is it a simple matter of copying the 2nd cue file into the 1st cue file immediately after the last track?

Thank you.

captnvideo
post #188 of 212 Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

You can't simply append the 2nd Cue file, because the preliminary lines at the start of the Cue file can only be entered once.

But you can add the File and Track lines from the 2nd Cue file to the end of the first and that will work -- i.e., one Cue file referencing Tracks from more than one Flac file. Note that the transition between the two Flac files will not be Gapless, so consider that when you decide where to make the break between the two files.

I suspect you'll also need to manually edit the Track numbers in the added lines from the 2nd file to not have duplicates with the Track lines from the first file.

Maintain the indentation structure so that the File and Track lines you add are still indented.
--Bob

post #189 of 212 Old 05-02-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
You can't simply append the 2nd Cue file, because the preliminary lines at the start of the Cue file can only be entered once.

But you can add the File and Track lines from the 2nd Cue file to the end of the first and that will work -- i.e., one Cue file referencing Tracks from more than one Flac file. Note that the transition between the two Flac files will not be Gapless, so consider that when you decide where to make the break between the two files.

I suspect you'll also need to manually edit the Track numbers in the added lines from the 2nd file to not have duplicates with the Track lines from the first file.

Maintain the indentation structure so that the File and Track lines you add are still indented.
--Bob
Bob:

Thanks so much. It worked perfectly. I just had to re-number the tracks from the 2nd flac file.

I would never separate a FLAC file where the tracks contained continuous music. So gapless certainly is not a problem.

Have a great day.

captnvideo
post #190 of 212 Old 08-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a BDP-105 and am having issues with the Gapless Playback of FLAC files. I'm just playing the files in a folder, not using a cue sheet.

The problem is that when I initiate the Gapless Play mode the timing seems to get messed up on the second and successive tracks. What I mean is that it sounds like its jumping ahead of itself or playing too fast every few moments - kind of like a cd skipping. I hope that description makes sense.

If I play the same files in Normal Playback, they play just fine and it never seems to malfunction.

I've tried all the combinations I can think of in terms of having the files on a USB stick or SMB share and initiating the playback from the MediaControl app as well as with the remote/onscreen menus. The behavior is consistent for me.

The specific example where I first encountered it was playing the album Death Magic by Health. The files I have are FLAC 48/24 from HDtracks.com.

In Gapless Playback mode, the first track sounds fine (and is pretty short) and then in the second track right around the 28 second mark you hear it skip ahead. Then periodically in the rest of that track it continues to skip from time to time. Then on subsequent tracks it continues to glitch/skip from time to time. It does seem to be consistent and always malfunction in the same way at the same times. Once I heard it a few times it was easy to recognize.

I was running the current release firmware: BDP10X-77-0827
I also tried upgrading to the new beta firmware, but it made no difference: BDP10X-79-0711B

----
Edit - after going back and re-reading this thread I see now that SeeMoreDigital reported what I think is the same skipping phenomenon with various compression values, so I guess its not just me and may be hit and miss as far as whether the Gapless Play feature works well with various files. That's sad, but I will file a bug with Oppo and this specific example.

Last edited by KrisRoberts; 08-11-2015 at 10:47 PM.
post #191 of 212 Old 08-13-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Gapless playback still has issues after installing the new beta EU firmware on my player.

It plays gapless but after a random amount of time the player just stops in the middle of a track.
Files are flac resolutions up to 5.1 24/96.
post #192 of 212 Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Get in touch with OPPO UK with details so they can look into this.

Useful data: Does the failing track play correctly if you start Gapless from that track, AND

Does the set of FLAC tracks play correctly if you use normal (not Gapless) playback?
--Bob
post #193 of 212 Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Normal play does all the tracks correctly.

Sometimes at plays n tracks in a row gapless and fails in the n+1 track. After restarting the album it fails in another track.
It stops completely random at any location in the track.

It also makes no difference if the track is started by navigating the menu in the player or through the iOS App.
post #194 of 212 Old 08-13-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 438
^^^^
I wonder if that might be a networking issue pretending to be something else. IOW, if gapless playback has different buffering requirements, a network glitch might throw a wrench into it. The randomness of the description suggests something like that.
post #195 of 212 Old 08-14-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
^^^^
I wonder if that might be a networking issue pretending to be something else. IOW, if gapless playback has different buffering requirements, a network glitch might throw a wrench into it. The randomness of the description suggests something like that.

I disabled gracenote and tried various verbose modes within the iRule remote app to control the feedback over the rs232 port.
Disconnected network and the problem persists.
post #196 of 212 Old 08-14-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post
I disabled gracenote and tried various verbose modes within the iRule remote app to control the feedback over the rs232 port.
Disconnected network and the problem persists.
Run this past Oppo support, and offer them a collection of files that give you the problem.
post #197 of 212 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone at all here tell me how the heck to get gapless streaming to the 105D to work with JRiver Media Center? I finally set this up to playback DSD128 files and have Media Center 20 running on OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. I have all the gapless track switching check boxes selected in the Player settings, but nothing will play gaplessly, and I'm not talking just DSD, not even FLAC files. I was hoping I could FINALLY listen to some hi-res classical, etc. gaplessly, or even Amused to Death, but no dice. I could have sworn it was working at one point, but then it just suddenly stopped. I have no idea what happened.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #198 of 212 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post
Can anyone at all here tell me how the heck to get gapless streaming to the 105D to work with JRiver Media Center? I finally set this up to playback DSD128 files and have Media Center 20 running on OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. I have all the gapless track switching check boxes selected in the Player settings, but nothing will play gaplessly, and I'm not talking just DSD, not even FLAC files. I was hoping I could FINALLY listen to some hi-res classical, etc. gaplessly, or even Amused to Death, but no dice. I could have sworn it was working at one point, but then it just suddenly stopped. I have no idea what happened.

Thanks in advance.
You would need to access your music via network shares (SMB, for example) or locally attached USB storage to make use of the gapless feature - it doesn't work for DLNA playback, which is what you would be using to access your JRiver Media Center library.
post #199 of 212 Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
You would need to access your music via network shares (SMB, for example) or locally attached USB storage to make use of the gapless feature - it doesn't work for DLNA playback, which is what you would be using to access your JRiver Media Center library.
Oh, I see. Geez. I grow weary of the hoops needed to jump through to get gapless playback and DSD128 on this thing.

What media player allows access to SMB to stream to the Oppo then that also passes the proper DSD over PCM format, Audirvana?

Thanks!

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #200 of 212 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Oh, I see. Geez. I grow weary of the hoops needed to jump through to get gapless playback and DSD128 on this thing.

What media player allows access to SMB to stream to the Oppo then that also passes the proper DSD over PCM format, Audirvana?

Thanks!
There's no media player needed - SMB is just simple network shares which you configure in the operating system. I'm a Windows user, so I can't help you out in getting this setup in OSX, but I'm sure someone else can point you in the right direction.
post #201 of 212 Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is gapless now working for network shares? Did I miss that development?
post #202 of 212 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's no media player needed - SMB is just simple network shares which you configure in the operating system. I'm a Windows user, so I can't help you out in getting this setup in OSX, but I'm sure someone else can point you in the right direction.

I know what SMB's are, but something needs to send the signal to the DAC via USB haha. I know iTunes can't do DSD, so it has to be some other sort of media player. I looked into it and Audirvana is supposed to be able to this, but, alas, it is not recognizing the 105D attached to my USB port. In fact, OSX is supposed to just allow me to set the Oppo as my designated audio output device in its preferences, but it's not seeing it either.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #203 of 212 Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why? It's not? I thought it always was as long as you used a third party media player and streamed to the Oppo DAC.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #204 of 212 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I know what SMB's are, but something needs to send the signal to the DAC via USB haha. I know iTunes can't do DSD, so it has to be some other sort of media player. I looked into it and Audirvana is supposed to be able to this, but, alas, it is not recognizing the 105D attached to my USB port. In fact, OSX is supposed to just allow me to set the Oppo as my designated audio output device in its preferences, but it's not seeing it either.
I didn't realize you were talking about using the Async USB input. In that case, gapless comes from the media player and has nothing to do with the Oppo. Are you selecting the Async USB input on the Oppo before trying to access it from your PC?
post #205 of 212 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I could have sworn it was working, but the Option button does nothing when selecting something to play via the Home -> Network path, so Gapless can't be selected. I don't use gapless very often...
post #206 of 212 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I guess 'Apple' device owners find it more difficult to connect using smb. GoldenBoy, have you considered getting yourself an NAS to store your media files on?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #207 of 212 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I guess 'Apple' device owners find it more difficult to connect using smb. GoldenBoy, have you considered getting yourself an NAS to store your media files on?
That is where my files are stored. And, no, I don't have more difficulty connecting with SMB using Apple devices, I;m just having difficulty getting my Mac to see the Oppo 105D as an audio output option in its settings. Can't really say if its an Oppo issue (I'm running the latest beta firmware) or an Apple issue (they just issued a OS X Yosemite update) since I've only just tried using this this way. It works in JRiver, but JRiver won't do gapless to the Oppo.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #208 of 212 Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I didn't realize you were talking about using the Async USB input. In that case, gapless comes from the media player and has nothing to do with the Oppo. Are you selecting the Async USB input on the Oppo before trying to access it from your PC?

Yep, tried that too, but it still won't show up in either the OS X Sound preferences or in Audirvana's Output Device preferences.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #209 of 212 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Yep, tried that too, but it still won't show up in either the OS X Sound preferences or in Audirvana's Output Device preferences.
You might want to shift this portion of the discussion over the main BDP-105/105D thread and/or contact Oppo for support. I know that some people have found that some USB cables don't work well with the Async USB input (not necessarily related to price), so you might want to try a different USB cable.
post #210 of 212 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You might want to shift this portion of the discussion over the main BDP-105/105D thread and/or contact Oppo for support. I know that some people have found that some USB cables don't work well with the Async USB input (not necessarily related to price), so you might want to try a different USB cable.
Oh, I see, okay.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105 , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player