What is the best Blu-ray player in the market? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In your opinion, what is the best Blu-ray player? Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingweb View Post

1. The Sony S790 because of picture quality of Blu Ray and DVD upconversion, duel hdmi and future proof 4K. The price is $249.
2. The Samsung F5900 from cosco with a dbs enchanced hdmi included. Picture quality equal to the Sony, but filmsy build qaulity.
3. The Panasonic 220 with great DVD upconversion, but Blu Ray a step below the Sony and Samsung.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You asked for best player, not best value, so I'd say the Oppo 105 (best analog audio to go along with excellent video for both BluRay and DVD, plus lots of features including headphone jack, lots of inputs, dual HDMI, and 4k upscaling). For best value, I'd go with the Panny mentioned above. I wouldn't include any Samsung due to poor reliability.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

3. The Panasonic 220 with great DVD upconversion, but Blu Ray a step below the Sony and Samsung.

No difference in PQ on BD over HDMI. I have or have had them all. I currently run Panasonic, Oppo, and Sony.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingweb View Post

Goldmund Eidos Reference Blue

- Only $135000
- Comes with it's own table
- Makes Oppo look cheap
- I have to respond whenever blazingweb posts because I enjoy reading his thoughtful analysis and brilliant insights
Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Goldmund Eidos Reference Blue

- Only $135000
- Comes with it's own table
- Makes Oppo look cheap
- I have to respond whenever blazingweb posts because I enjoy reading his thoughtful analysis and brilliant insights

have better things to do with 135K wink.gif That's two years of my oldest daughter's tuition at CalTech. A little more than two year's tuition for my twins at UCLA. I could go on. BDs still probably look the same as an $80 BD player.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

No difference in PQ on BD over HDMI. I have or have had them all. I currently run Panasonic, Oppo, and Sony.

S~

Do you find the Panasonic is best in class for upconverting DVD's to 1080 using HDMI interface? I've seen a bunch of opinions that this is the case -- but since you actually have Panasonic, Oppo & Sony, I'd value your observations.

Thanks, Alan
Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 dB per octave View Post

Do you find the Panasonic is best in class for upconverting DVD's to 1080 using HDMI interface? I've seen a bunch of opinions that this is the case -- but since you actually have Panasonic, Oppo & Sony, I'd value your observations.

Thanks, Alan

I have the Panny 110 and the Oppo 105, and think the Oppo is better for upscaling DVDs. Agree with teachsac that they are the same for BD.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 dB per octave View Post

Thanks, Alan
In the average consumer line, yes. Is the $350 dollar difference between the 103/230 (Forexample) for just DVD scaling be worth it? No. Differences I find to be negligible. Now are all of the additional things that Oppo has worth it? Yes, if you need them. The Oppo is the best DLNA streamer in a BD player, HDMI inputs, DVD-A/SACD support, etc.

To answer the OP's question, the best player on the market is the player that will do what you need it to do.

S~
oztech likes this.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

To answer the OP's question, the best player on the market is the player that will do what you need it to do.

+1

Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 AM

Liked: 12
Best as in most expensive/features or best deal? I am sure the $135k one is not the answer you were looking for hah.

Bluray players are getting cheaper an many are well equipped for below $100. Depending on the features you want you should look to see if it supports 4k, Wifi, additional HDMI or USB ports.
Did a quick search and found some reviews and which shows the features:
http://deviceraters.com/top-3-blu-ray-players/

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic are all great brands. If you want to search the web, netflix, etc, then you should make sure it is WiFi is one of the features. If you just want to play your bluray disc then get one without the WiFi features. I still would say the display is more important than the bluray player itself if you are looking for picture quality.

Tags
Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105